• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I knew I shouldn't bother, as someone who can't stand Kirito, this season ramps up everything I dislike about SAO to 11. x.x

Does this ever get less Kirito centric?

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've really been enjoying this season
Can't wait to see what happens in the central city

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That was a really well made episode in terms of music and animation. Some great action. They skipped A LOT but it was probably worth it for pacing purposes. And with that we're done with volume 9.
Also FYI, if they don't do something diverging from the books to avoid this being the case, the next couple episodes or so are going to be really slow.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
It's nice that SAO keeping the trend of villains with the over the top I'M EVIL expressions. The clown from the remnants of The Laughing Coffin was hilarious.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
That was a really well made episode in terms of music and animation. Some great action. They skipped A LOT but it was probably worth it for pacing purposes. And with that we're done with volume 9.
Also FYI, if they don't do something diverging from the books to avoid this being the case, the next couple episodes or so are going to be really slow.
This is my biggest problem with SAO. People said the anime rushes through a lot details, but the entire second season moved at such a slow pace, I can't imagine what kind of show we would get if they slowed down anymore. These last 4 episodes were similarly annoying. This entire segment of the story could have been condensed into a 1 hour episode, but it took that plus 3 more standard runtime episodes to get to this point. I'm legitimately liking this season more than the past ones, but it could really stand to move quicker.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I like that it's taking its time. So far, the pacing has been great in my opinion and all episodes felt faster than they actually were. So that's a good sign in my book.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
They changed up this part from a the novels a good amount. In the novels its just Asuna, Leafa, and Sinon talking in Alfheim and Yui helping them figure out everything through hacking and making ridiculous leaps in logic based on metaphors to Alice in Wonderland. Here it involved more of the old cast and was also more active with a lot of the explanation skipped so I guess that helped with pacing and also being connected more to older SAO series. They also brought back the AR stuff from Ordinal Scale, which isn't cannon in the novels, and also Longing by Yuna from Ordinal Scale being the radio music was nice. Also, having so many flashbacks here with scenes from the old series it became pretty evident how good the animation/art for Alicization is. Major jump over past entries which were already good. At this pacing I think there'll be one more slow episode that is mostly an infodump before going back to the action.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Man that episode felt like the ending to an episode of scooby doo. They explained their entire scheme to get Asuna in the sea lab. Man that's a pretty crazy skip. I honestly expected them to spend half the season finding Kirito.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I watched only the 40 min first episode and it really bored me. Is it getting better after that?
(to be fair this episode had no action and was just laying the groundwork for the story, but still)

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I watched only the 40 min first episode and it really bored me. Is it getting better after that?
(to be fair this episode had no action and was just laying the groundwork for the story, but still)
Most of the season thus far has been talking and exposition dumping. There's some nice action in episode 4, but the next episode is yet another talking episode.

If the show bores you now, I would wait for it to end and watch the highlights later.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Preview for next episode:
rqhghld.jpg

They skipped an entire mini-arc that's mainly a mini battle tournament. Why lol? If this is 4 cours they have enough time for it. I'm so confused right now. lol
Oh well. It'll introduce the best character in this season next episode (bottom left). :)

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The characters are so badly written this season. I feel like I'm watching pieces of cardboard interact.

I'm done with Sword Art Online. I even enjoyed part 2 of season 1. I didn't think the mainline seasons would reach this new low.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
It's really weird. The first 6 episodes weren't perfect, but it seemed like it was building up to something. I'm one of the people who thinks SAO had an interesting premise only for the show to fall apart a few episodes in. From that point, the show was entertaining if you turned your brain off. For this season though, I almost believed that SAO could become really good. The last two episodes have derailed the show just like those slice of life in Aincrad episodes did back in S1 lol.

I'll still watch because I'm only following 3 series right now (AoT and MHA are the others) and the other 2 are on break.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Main story won't start until around episode 12 when they start climbing the tower. It changes tremendously at that point. Everything up to now is world building and character introductions and the plot so far doesn't really matter much at all beyond having hints at what's coming. I won't go as far as saying it's a prologue but it's something akin to that. I'm not really looking for an argument defending it though. Just FYI to the people considering dropping it.

Last edited:

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the preview images for next episode, it's going to suck, the lowest point in SAO imo. You can probably tell from my posts in this thread that I'm a pretty major SAO fan, but when I hit the part in the next episode in the novels I dropped it for like a year before picking it up again. So yeah... not good. I'd assume they'll tone it down, but it's still probably going to be incredibly cringeworthily bad. The arc that starts in the episode after that is really hype though.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Based on the preview images for next episode, it's going to suck, the lowest point in SAO imo. You can probably tell from my posts in this thread that I'm a pretty major SAO fan, but when I hit the part in the next episode in the novels I dropped it for like a year before picking it up again. So yeah... not good. I'd assume they'll tone it down, but it's still probably going to be incredibly cringeworthily bad. The arc that starts in the episode after that is really hype though.

Nice adaption of Eugeo's breakout in my opinion.
I felt like it needed something so drastic to actually break the seal and at the same time show how fucked up the Taboo Index is.

Nice to see Alice again!

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Nice adaption of Eugeo's breakout in my opinion.
I felt like it needed something so drastic to actually break the seal and at the same time show how fucked up the Taboo Index is.

Nice to see Alice again!

See, that's the thing I don't get. How does society even function with moronic rules like that? Like it just popping up here but overall society being completely nice and friendly just seems really weird to me.

Also, I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't tone it down at all compared to the novels. Though I guess the fact that it kind of goes faster compared to it being described in text does tone it down inherently. And everything after that was amazing. All in all, it was a really good episode and much better than I expected. Kudos to A-1 on this one especially.

Main story next week. Woot!

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That last episode was something. I have not read the light novels of Alicization and I kind of heard of that scene prior, but I really hate scenes like that in media. Makes you the viewer feel really uncomfortable. However I did like Eugeo breaking out.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Episode 12

This is what happens when you build a simulated AI world out of a video game, someone figures out how to level grind enough to break the whole thing.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, maybe best season so far. I love the angle that the strongest mage/witch got that way because she found the command list lol. Great plot device.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 19 ended how I expected, but I didn't expect Eugeo to make that choice :(

I expected Alice to join Kirito and Eugeo to be turned into an integrity knight, but I didn't expect him to go through allllll of that (climbing the tower) and then turn around and CHOOSE to be an integrity knight just because the Pontifex is hot.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the most recent one. Time for the big showdown!

I thought Kirito would end up using the Eugeo sword to dual-wield. Surprised that this show has restraint with that kind of fanservice