• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
It's one of my favorite podcasts. As true crime podcasts go (and there are lots of them) it's easily top 5. probably #1 for a lot of fans (though I greatly prefer Casefile.)

Not sure I agree with their reasoning here though :/

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
weird they're against business being businesses and choosing what they host, claiming that it violates their free speech by a business choosing not do host hate-speech.

very conservative of them, being against big business wanting to do what they want.

Idiots.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love this show till I found out the host is kind of a shitbag. Not because he's conservative, but because of the alleged and inappropriate reuqests for nude pics disguised as jokes from women who are fans of the show.

He's also done some extremely tasteless shit on the show itself, including interviewing a kid who was likely on the autism spectrum without properly setting this up and explaining to the subject what the interview would entailn and it made the poor kid look terrible. Among other things, and getting all defensive about it when criticized.

Last edited:

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I think USUALLY deplatforming works. I worry that in this specific case...there is a market for a website where those who want to fund hate speech and vile content can congregate.
Eventually they will have their own "free speech" issues when payment processors are demanding they remove anyone with visible swastika tattoos.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
He's also done some extremely tasteless shit on the show itself, including interviewing a kid who was likely on the autism spectrum and it made the poor kid look terrible, among other things, and getting all defensive about it when criticized.
I still like the show, but having listened to every episode (except the patreon exclusive ones) i've long noticed thathe has a tendancy to inject a lot of commentary into what he covers on the show... and sometimes I don't agree with his POV. He comes off as a little judgemental at times.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favorite podcasts. As true crime podcasts go (and there are lots of them) it's easily top 5. probably #1 for a lot of fans (though I greatly prefer Casefile.)

Not sure I agree with their reasoning here though :/
Why though? I am honestly asking this because when I listened to it a couple years aback, it seemed like it was just recordings of bad people being bad with very little commentary from the host. It felt more like a Faces of Death movie, relying on the salaciousness of it all instead of being informative.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Why though? I am honestly asking this because when I listened to it a couple years aback, it seemed like it was just recordings of bad people being bad with very little commentary from the host. It felt more like a Faces of Death movie, relying on the salaciousness of it all instead of being informative.
He does have a tendancy to produce episodes that are mostly audio clips from police interrogations, court appearances, etc. the better episodes have less of that and more description. I've learned about hundreds of weird cases I never would have learned about on my own though, so I guess that's why I still listen because it can occasionally still surprise me.

Some episodes do come off as overly exploitative of the situation. And like I mentioned... the host can definitely seem judgemental, almost like he's scolding the people involved.

Dunno what else to tell you... I'm a bit of a podcast addict and listen to all sorts of things. Casefile is way better.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The First Amendment is the US's protection from government action based the content of speech. "Freedom of speech" in general is a much broader topic.
While this is true, it's a paradoxical topic regardless of whether you're talking about the amendment or the concept. The idea that you should have the right to say whatever you want without social consequence infringes on the freedom of others to protest your speech.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck sword and scale. I support them on patreon. Cancelled and let them know on Twitter.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
85k/month for a podcast??
When I see a name like Sword and Scale I imagine medieval badassery, not a crime interrogation show. Should be deplatformed for false advertising alone.
I thought of the Statue of Liberty Justice, but I'm also not sure what it has to do with a crime podcast.

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
85k/month for a podcast??

I thought of the Statue of Liberty, but I'm also not sure what it has to do with a crime podcast.
Statue of Liberty has a torch and book
You are thinking of this statue, which does have to do with crime
s-l1000.jpg

Also I hope they become irrelevant

Nov 2, 2017
Patreon should immediately remove any of these that claim they will leave it's platform AS SOON AS a viable alternative is available. Fuck em.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Statue of Liberty has a torch and book
You are thinking of this statue, which does have to do with crime
Derp, I think did of Lady Justice but for some reason I mixed them all up... not sure why lol. Anyway yeah Lady Justice does sorta have to do with crime but not so much the angle I'd expect from "true crime" thingies, but maybe I'm wrong.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
My prediction is its going to be a scene if they actually go through with this.

The platform they create will become an instant sewer and spawn school shooters, white nationalists and terrorists.

Inevitably when violence occurs it'll redound on those who created it and they'll never be allowed back into the mainstream social media platforms, or probably polite society.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

The replies make obvious Patreon is making the right call.

HA! So Sargon was literally throwing around racist and homophobic slurs but people thought he should be protected for doing it somewhere else on the internet. This is really what these idiots Peterson and Rubin types are taking a stand against?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Man, watching these idiots deplatform themselves is awesome. Because there's no way that's gonna succeed.

American McGee, another trash human being, is also leaving

Yeah. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a while because I was infatuated with his work (even cosplayed as Alice a couple times) but he's just been showing his ugly head more and more over the past year. I hope this is the nail in the coffin for his dying dreams.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved Sword and Scale when it initially came out but dropped it years ago when the guy attacked his fans on reddit and facebook and generally the quality of the show went downhill. I see it got even worse. What a douchebag.

Jul 18, 2018
Wow. This speaks volumes. I hope there is a large part of the community that will just cop their shit freely and not give them any financial incentive

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sword and Scale, the podcast where the host routinely drops audio of actual murders and capped off his "are humans evil" episode by being the sole "yep, evil" voice among experts and researchers who said otherwise, might be an asshole. I wish I could say this is surprising.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why am I not surprised these "free speech" advocates are not talking about the anti-BDS censorship that happens in 26 USA states.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Ah yes, "Carl got kicked off Patreon for saying the fucking n-word" seems like a brilliant hill to die on, but these people treat "intellectuals" like Carl or Jordan Peterson like they're geniuses so it's not like intelligence is the name of the game.

Please continue to self-deplatform, guys. I'm almost owned. Keep going. You'll get there.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Peterson and Rubin will fuck it up in a few months and all the dipshits will come crawling back. These guys are idiots and Peterson is an ideologue. He will impose his own bizzare censorships.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Dam imagine being *so woke* you destroy your livelihood to own the libs. Truly inspiring I hope more do it.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people in that thread seem convinced Patreon is going to go under. Is that actually a concern?

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I hope Mastercard, Visa, Paypal and Patreon refuse these guys from using their services if this goes wrong. Some people like to talk big about leaving, but when you research into their internet footprints, you find out that they never truly left what they claim they were leaving.

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine being from a country that both overtly and covertly suppressed any political debate of left wing policies for most of 70 years, but being upset about mah freeze peach when some fucking neonazis get taken off a fundraising platform