• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I wouldn't care about them not really talking about online but this is the first Pokemon that appears to be doing some interesting things online for once and we also still don't know if there are lobbies with PvP that hopefully wont use 3 pokemon codes.

I am mostly bringing this up because of the co-op, when they were showing it off at E3 we saw players could see each other if they are in the wildlands and can trade, battle and exchange info, as well as team up for the raids. The biggest question here is, how does this work online? Is it friends only? Is it instance based where random trainers can run around? Can you actually invite your friends to this? Also again, what is the traditional PvP going to look like?

I know people have been complaining about the reveal cycle, but it's kinda weird that what could be an amazing feature just hasn't been talked about at all since E3.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, looking at the trading page, there doesn't seem to be a section for a GTS. Hopefully it's just a sub division under link trade because GTS was super useful for people trying to complete a dex and I see no good reason to remove it

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
At least we have PikaCHONK to compensate for the (potential) lack of online play.

pikachu2.jpg

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, looking at the trading page, there doesn't seem to be a section for a GTS. Hopefully it's just a sub division under link trade because GTS was super useful for people trying to complete a dex and I see no good reason to remove it
The stuff on the trading page is just local communication features, so it may just be with the internet stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Can we specifically play coop or pvp with friends? Is it known?

I mean in other games this is a given but it's a Nintendo game so hahah.

This is going to be my first real Pokemon experience, beyond just playing for half and hour or so.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

This is going to be my first real Pokemon experience, beyond just playing for half and hour or so.
They haven't gone full in-depth, we know in local play you can walk around together, but we don't know if that extends to online.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

In the same console? No

In separate consoles? Of course, you can battle your friends. There's no co-op except for Raid Battles, which you can also play with friends.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
In the same console? No

In separate consoles? Of course, you can battle your friends. There's no co-op except for Raid Battles, which you can also play with friends.
In the video I posted above another player can walk around in your game via the stamp system. But no specific info if its also like that online or not, they mention online near the end of the segment though

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
OH! So actually rewatching this video and looking at the stamp system. Looks like when you Stamp they actually can go into your game instance?

Time Stammped

Thanks! I'm gonna do more research about this game. I've been looking for an excuse to justify my membership in Nintendo online, haha, so this might be it (didn't like fighting games and ambivalent about racing games so yeah, didn't buy Smash or Mario Kart 8)

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I'm gonna do more research about this game. I've been looking for an excuse to justify my membership in Nintendo online, haha, so this might be it (didn't like fighting games and ambivalent about racing games so yeah, didn't buy Smash or Mario Kart 8)
I just can't find anything about the roaming with people feature, they showed it here and that was kinda it lol

Oct 27, 2017

Well, for one it isn't, so that doesn't really apply and you've been able to play pvp with friends in every single Pokemon game. I am 100% sure you can in this game, locally and online. It's not even a question or a shadow of a doubt in my mind

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Well, for one it isn't, so that doesn't really apply and you've been able to play pvp with friends in every single Pokemon game. I am 100% sure you can in this game, locally and online. It's not even a question or a shadow of a doubt in my mind

That's good to know :)

Like I said, this is going to be my first real pokemon game. I did play Pokemon in 3ds but I played it for just like, 10 minutes or so, hahah.

This game looks dope.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, I see. I thought you can roam around the world together with friends.
In the video I posted above another player can walk around in your game via the stamp system. But no specific info if its also like that online or not, they mention online near the end of the segment though

Oh yeah, as you can see other players and go to their camps, but only in the Wild Area. You can't see other players in other areas.
You will see other players playing locally around you and other players online, selected randomly (though probably your friends will have priority, don't expect this to ever be detailed officially, we will just figure it out on launch).

That's somewhat disappointing, hahah, but you can specifically invite your friends to PVP or do Raid battles coop, right?
You can initiate a lobby for a battle or a trade. The invitation will be sent to all your friend and also random strangers. They can accept through the Y-comm. You can also invite players to your camp.

9_4_trading_1_2x.jpg

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, as you can see other players and go to their camps, but only in the Wild Area. You can't see other players in other areas.
You will see other players playing locally around you and other players online, selected randomly (though probably your friends will have priority, don't expect this to ever be detailed officially, we will just figure it out on launch).
Okay so kinda dark souls like then, I knew it was Wild Area only but didn't know if that whole co-op aspect was local or online.

Kinda makes it feel MMO-like being able to see other trainers while exploring and interacting with them.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish they would try unique modes for online battles.

Draft
Random Team
Inverse Battles
Some sort of Arcade mode with alternating crazy rules