• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/shaza...makesuit&utm_term=organic&utm_content=link_ad

Earlier this week, reports began to surface about how Zachary Levi's lightning bolted costume for Shazam! cost upwards of $1 million, and that 10 were made for the upcoming DCEU superhero film.

Taking to Reddit and Twitter, director David F. Sandberg (Lights Out) decided to clarify what that exactly means. While he doesn't know the exact price for each suit exactly (but admitted that $1 million price tag doesn't sound out of line), he talked about how it wasn't a matter of building 10 separate costumes for Levi. Rather, it was a matter of trial and error, creating a number of million-dollar designs to get the look just right.

"The thing is that it's not the price for one suit," Sandberg explained on Reddit. "In developing a suit like this you basically have to build it several times over to get things right. Like there were many different bolts made. Ones with different bolt shapes, ones with different ways of lighting up, etc. There were different versions of the fabric made in different shades, different patterns, and so on and different version had to be camera tested."

rev-1-shzm-04741rv2_high_res_jpeg.jpeg

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is just going to confuse people. Might be worth putting a DC or Shazam in brackets in the title

Curious what designs they went through though

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sheesh

Wonder how much suits from Marvel heroes like Iron-Man and Spider-Man cost

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read that it was more in line of 600k and not 1m. Also the title is correct, the true and original Captain Marvel 😉

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to tell whether the total cost was $1M or each of the ~10 suits cost that much. I'd certainly think/hope it means the former rather than the latter.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Been 8 years that this is not the name of the character anymore, Slayven ... keep up with the times =P

Also ... that is INSANELY expensive for a suit, even with all the lighting and everything O.o

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was all ready to come in with some snark and tell you they'll just cover it up with a cgi suit like always.
But you mean the other one.
Which I think looks good.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC THR stated the number was closer to 60-70k per suit, which seems more inline with the reported budget of 60-80$ million

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck can a suit like that can get anywhere near a million dollars.
Movie budgets and spendings are just bizzare

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The end result still looks a bit cheap imo.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How the fuck can a suit like that can get anywhere near a million dollars.
Movie budgets and spendings are just bizzare

A lot of people were involved in creating it. I'm sure they made a lot of revisions. They made 10 of it after the finalized design was approved. A million isn't that crazy all things considered, it's good that creatives and craftsmanship is rewarded. Would you prefer it to be all CG?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people were involved in creating it. I'm sure they made a lot of revisions. They made 10 of them. A million isn't that crazy all things considered, it's good that creatives and craftsmanship is rewarded. Would you prefer it to be all CG?

^

You're talking an entire design team concepting and designing a suit ten times over. 1 million seems low.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The title confused me, I thought they made 10 suits at 1 million dollars each rather than spend 1 million dollars after making 10 suits.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ride or die with Billy as Captain Marvel.

Monice was the only Marvel Captain Marvel worth a damn, Mar-vell and Carol can diaf.