• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SyFy Wire has gotten an exclusive statement from the original Lion King writer Linda Woolverton and director Rob Minkoff regarding the "Kimba" controversy:

Speaking with the original film's co-director, Rob Minkoff, and co-screenwriter, Linda Woolverton, we broached the topic of Kimba the White Lion, the comparisons that have been made to The Lion King, and whether this factored into the film's production.

"It was never discussed and there was no intentional parallel ever made that I was ever aware of," Minkoff says. "No one brought it up, talked about it, discussed it — nobody mentioned that there was even any similarity. It was only after the film was made that people said, 'Hey, this is based on Kimba.' And then they showed the parallels and they were not insignificant. And so, it gave everyone pause, I think, to look at it and go, 'Wow, there is a lot of similarity.' But I don't think it was ever done intentionally. It was just one of those things. The similarities are undeniable, but again, I don't think it was done with any intention."

"I didn't even know what that was until years later when people were talking about it," Woolverton tells us. "I originated the story, myself and the people in the room with me, and that wasn't a part of it in any way and it certainly wasn't a rip-off of it."

The "people in the room" to whom she refers are: Tom Schumacher (now heading Disney's theatrical division — he was a high-ranking animation executive during the company's prolific "Renaissance" period); original co-director George Scriber (Oliver & Company); former president of Feature Animation, Peter Shneider; and Minkoff's fellow director on the project, Roger Allers.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They left it nicely open for us to blame someone else with that "and the people in the room" line.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the end of season 1 of friends from college. Maybe only a single person knew about it, but that's enough to bias a whole room of people.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There literally are leaked exchanges that refer to the new project's protagonist as Kimba.

Who the fuck are they kidding ?

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I could believe this if the similarities to Kimba ended at plot points, but some of the frame comparisons are pretty damning.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this puts an end to the people claiming the similarities are insignificant and don't exist.

Now we have to deal with this bullshit, pretending they didn't rip off Kimba.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
i thought they were going to address the "nala" being Simba's sister thing, and then i remembered nala's name is actually nala and not kimba
That's what I was expecting to be honest.

Then I looked up Kimba, assuming Disney ripped off the story. Then I read the plot description for Kimba. Seems more ambitious than Lion King tbh

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this puts an end to the people claiming the similarities are insignificant and don't exist.

Now we have to deal with this bullshit, pretending they didn't rip off Kimba.

Yeah, I'm still in shock over that thread where people said they were obviously different and it was just a meme.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
And Jimmy Page didn't rip off Jake Holmes, Willie Dixon, and Randy California

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Would it have been so controversial to just acknowledge the influence back then? The actual end products were fairly different. Seems like denying it all was the more shitty thing to do.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could believe Disney doing something similar once, even then a stretch, but they have a history of doing this to lesser known foreign stories.

So bollocks.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
"No one brought it up, talked about it, discussed it — nobody mentioned that there was even any similarity. It was only after the film was made that people said, 'Hey, this is based on Kimba.'

Roy Disney literally referenced Kimba on a message board prior to release and Simba's VA literally thought it was a Kimba remake.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Does anyone honestly care about the Kimba thing?

I mean like genuinely care not in a "That's kind of sucky but whatever" way.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I would understand Disney's arguments if there were only a couple scenes that were similar, but when you have like 30 there's no way it's a coincidence across the board.

Having said that, The Lion King is my favorite Disney movie.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Now Calculus was developed independently by two different people so it is possible that this could be a similar scenario. I doubt it though given Disney's track record.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking Hamlet with lions jesus that was what they were going for because it's the most famous Shakespeare thing and Lions are kings which is what the main characters in Hamlet basically are. It doesn't even have nearly as many similarities as you think (besides some superficial ones) it's just a dumb meme repeated in nerd spheres to make them seem more knowledgeable and cultured than they actually are.

Last edited:

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking Hamlet with lions jesus that was what they were going for because it's the most famous Shakespeare thing and Lions are kings which is what the main characters in Hamlet basically are. It doesn't even have nearly as many similarities as you think it's just a dumb meme repeated in nerd spheres to make them seem more knowledgeable and cultured than they actually are.
I know it's easier to just skip the OP, type whatever, then leave the thread, but at that point, why even post? What do you get?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's easier to just skip the OP, type whatever, then leave the thread, but at that point, why even post? What do you get?
Huh? I did and I don't understand the aggression. It was originally noticed by people on the internet. The Roy Disney and Broderick quotes were uncovered later. But honestly comparing both has always been more reductive than it seems not only because they're actually way different from each other but both artists were basically at the peak of that time.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking Hamlet with lions jesus that was what they were going for because it's the most famous Shakespeare thing and Lions are kings which is what the main characters in Hamlet basically are. It doesn't even have nearly as many similarities as you think (besides some superficial ones) it's just a dumb meme repeated in nerd spheres to make them seem more knowledgeable and cultured than they actually are.

Lol.