• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeahhh, Dark All Day definitely my frontrunner for AOTY. It's everything i hoped and more, some chill some upbeat, great guests, great vocals and some really memorable tracks.
My favs are Dark All Day, Rise the Midnight Girl, When You Grow Up Your Heart Dies, Cyber City.
I don't think there's a track i didn't enjoy.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I missed out on my opportunity to see them perform live in Vancouver, so I hope you'll have a blast!

Was actually last night (although I suppose I could've went again tonight!), had a pretty great time. Setlist was solid, they played for longer than I expected, just the sound wasn't that great.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Was actually last night (although I suppose I could've went again tonight!), had a pretty great time. Setlist was solid, they played for longer than I expected, just the sound wasn't that great.
I wanted to see them but couldn't make the drive into town the other day so I'm consoling myself with seeing Dance with the Dead tonight instead.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
If they played Days of Thunder, I must've missed out on a hell of a show. :,(

You missed one hell of a show than.

I wanted to see them but couldn't make the drive into town the other day so I'm consoling myself with seeing Dance with the Dead tonight instead.

Have fun! I debated going, but decided to just pass this time. The two times I saw DwtD were great, but felt like I can pass on this one.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun! I debated going, but decided to just pass this time. The two times I saw DwtD were great, but felt like I can pass on this one.

It was great. I've never been to a show at a venue like this before so it was a bit of a different experience. Also my first time wearing earplugs that aren't the cheap orange foam. It was weird. After about 5 seconds I didn't even notice I was wearing them except when I was cheering or clapping and it wasn't as loud as I would have expected. Still sounded great.

Le Matos opened for them tonight and they had some good stuff going too. Had a bit of a hiccup when everything died on them in the middle of their last song. Had a few people in the audience shout out "We love you anyway!" and "Try turning it off and on again!" They got it going again in less than a minute so which wasn't too bad.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
It was great. I've never been to a show at a venue like this before so it was a bit of a different experience. Also my first time wearing earplugs that aren't the cheap orange foam. It was weird. After about 5 seconds I didn't even notice I was wearing them except when I was cheering or clapping and it wasn't as loud as I would have expected. Still sounded great.

Le Matos opened for them tonight and they had some good stuff going too. Had a bit of a hiccup when everything died on them in the middle of their last song. Had a few people in the audience shout out "We love you anyway!" and "Try turning it off and on again!" They got it going again in less than a minute so which wasn't too bad.

They played at Lee's Palace yeah? Nice little spot. Glad you had a great time. And yes, ear plugs are always a must.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Seeing Dance with the Dead tonight. My first synthwave concert! Has anyone here watched them perform before?

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Dance with the Dead tonight. My first synthwave concert! Has anyone here watched them perform before?

Seen them twice myself and as Deraldin just mentioned seeing them last night :) Enjoy.

I enjoyed it a lot, but my issue with seeing DwtD live, is that without vocals, there's a bit of a disconnect with the audience. They'll get up and play, and rock, but from start to finish it's just an onslaught of music. Maybe that has changed with this tour, but was just my minor issue the two times I've seen them as compared to going to a usual heavy metal show.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Seen them twice myself and as Deraldin just mentioned seeing them last night :) Enjoy.

I enjoyed it a lot, but my issue with seeing DwtD live, is that without vocals, there's a bit of a disconnect with the audience. They'll get up and play, and rock, but from start to finish it's just an onslaught of music. Maybe that has changed with this tour, but was just my minor issue the two times I've seen them as compared to going to a usual heavy metal show.
The only real interaction with the audience was the one guy who will occasionally encourage the audience to clap for a song, get up and jump, or just take a quick video of the audience. I don't think I heard either of them say a single word through the 70 minutes they were on stage. It didn't really lessen my enjoyment of those show, but I don't really have much to compare to so that might contribute some. I can see how it might become more noticeable on repeat shows though. Still worth seeing live at least once because of how different it is in person compared to listening to them on my commute, or the crappy speaker system at work after everyone else has been kicked out.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
In all fairness, the new Gunship is amazing. Drone Racing League, Thrasher, Honor Among Thieves, Dark All Day, and Artemis/Parcival (of course). It's nice to have a synth album that sounds 'big'.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, can confirm this is the case. Was fun though! But apparently it's just how synthwave shows operate. My SO saw Carpenter Brut (I missed them 'cause I was out of town) last spring and it was the same, and all the opening bands were the same too; since they have no mic there's zero stage banter or even a hello and good night, haha. It's kind of weird.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I knew it would be good but it's even better than I imagined it would be. Symmetrical is really the only track I don't care for too much.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, can confirm this is the case. Was fun though! But apparently it's just how synthwave shows operate. My SO saw Carpenter Brut (I missed them 'cause I was out of town) last spring and it was the same, and all the opening bands were the same too; since they have no mic there's zero stage banter or even a hello and good night, haha. It's kind of weird.

Yeah, CB was the same. Pretty much no downtime from start to finish. I mean they blew the doors off the place, but I'm just used to a little bit of interaction there.

Excited to see FM-84 on Friday. Sad that The Bad Dreamers had to cancel, but Michael Oakley is a great replacement.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I love how there was even a moshpit during Dance with the Dead xD Lots of metalheads in attendance actually.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I love how there was even a moshpit during Dance with the Dead xD Lots of metalheads in attendance actually.
If there's anything I've learned firsthand it's that a lot of hardcore electronic artists provide some of the most hardcore moshpits. The Prodigy for example might not be a metal band or synth band but they've got some of the craziest crowds.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Going by a post on his FB page, the Trevor Something album has quite a track count. 16 tracks. We've heard a couple, but lots of tracks not released yet.

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of LeBrock? May have already discussed them. I think they are solid. Lead singer has some pipes but does kinda yell all their lyrics. Luckily he sounds good doing it. Originally discovered them on timecop1983's "too late".

Here's a few of my favs of theirs:

Shane

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, when I first saw them they closed with their Master of Puppets cover and it easily got the biggest ovation. There's definitely a lot of crossover.

What do you guys think of LeBrock? May have already discussed them. I think they are solid. Lead singer has some pipes but does kinda yell all their lyrics. Luckily he sounds good doing it. Originally discovered them on timecop1983's "too late".

Yeah lot of LeBrock love here. I'd really love to see a full length album.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, when I first saw them they closed with their Master of Puppets cover and it easily got the biggest ovation. There's definitely a lot of crossover.
I didn't even know they had a "cover" of MoP (honestly wasn't feeling it, it sounded a bit weird) when they played it in the middle of the set, but they closed with Kickstart My Heart here lol. Fun.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know they had a "cover" of MoP (honestly wasn't feeling it, it sounded a bit weird) when they played it in the middle of the set, but they closed with Kickstart My Heart here lol. Fun.

Yeah, the remix of Kickstart is pretty awesome too, a fun live track for sure.

Yeah, a bit of a forgotten track. I was pretty surprised when they played Lost & Found live as well, realized I didn't listen to that much at all. They also do a great remix of The Outfield from The Night Game (which released a pretty great indie rock/synth/pop album a month ago).

edit: it's also pretty darn cool that Captain America posted on twitter that he loved the Kids album.

Last edited:

Blitzhex

Jan 1, 2018
ebccd1809021f7e35a68c722bc5f10879943ff47

https://open.spotify.com/album/69DlWt7r2sUAzlsg5V1wKo
Oh shit. Le Cassette is back.
And with a kickass cover.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Time After Time must be the most covered song by a synthwave artist. Timecop1983, Gunship, now Le Cassette.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bummed that Playin Me didn't make it to the album which was by far the best single of his this last year, but outside of that I think Ultraparanoia is my favorite album Trevor Something has put out since Death Dream. It's easily more of an acquired taste than any of his previous albums with all of the drone/idm influences, but he's pretty much perfecting the whole ennui/existential crisis vibe that's been key to his brand of synthwave. Overdose, Isolated and AINIY are such good examples of this whole chaotic/relaxing vibe.