• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently discovered Windows 96 after a very long dry spell and it's very refreshing. I love it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
VHSTokyo dropped their first album on Halloween and I'm loving it! Very clean FM84-style pop:

I've recently discovered Windows 96 after a very long dry spell and it's very refreshing. I love it.

So good. They straddle the line between synthwave and vaporwave, and One Hundred Mornings is a killer album.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps I need to give that VHSTokyo album another listen, had a brief listen when it came out and it didn't grab me.

I know what I'm excited for this Friday... just learned a new album from The Motion Epic is coming out, "West Coast Dreams".

I basically have Star Cassette's 'Malibu' on repeat. What a great track.

Last edited:

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
West Coast Dreams is a good album, but there is something that just doesn't click with me to make it great.

Think I have to give my nod of favourite release today to...

At least from what was on my release radar. There's usually some releases mentioned here that will be new to me, so keep them coming. :)

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
Can you recommend me some more "happy"/upbeat stuff like Miami Nights 1984? Preferably with a hint of old 8bit music?

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Chiptune or composition? A bit of both.
Don't like the rock sound of willrock but arcade high is definitely my cup of tea, thanks!

No problem, if you want to explore more, I'll suggest just heading to bandcamp and apply some tags and discover to your hearts content. I think one recent one I liked was Matt Creamer's release - Shakedown Hawaii. (use to talk to him a bunch years and years ago when he released stuff under Norrin_Radd.)

sT1Bgpd.png

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Just scanned though the tracks really quick as I don't have time to listen now. Really sounds like my cup of tea, will defo listen to it fully later on. Thanks for mentioning it Shane .

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Shane Have you watched the announcement video for Surge's upcoming album? If the average quality is close to that preview the album will be damn good.

Quality over quantity I know. Can't complain about both though.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I quickly listened to this one a couple days ago, and a listen again and it's certainly worth sharing. Top notch production.

Pretty pop sounding, and I'll have to digest some more to see how consistent it is from start to finish, but figure there's plenty here for others to love with The Midnight love here. Some amazing tracks on there like 'Behold the Hunted' and 'Artifical'.

Shane Have you watched the announcement video for Surge's upcoming album? If the average quality is close to that preview the album will be damn good.

Quality over quantity I know. Can't complain about both though.

Just listened to the clip. Sounds good to me. It's the album I was expecting would be the halloween release, but december works too. As long as he's still putting out Quality, keep em coming.

Sevacro - You might check out Caspro as well, bit of a chiptune flavour in some tracks there. heck, check out that Hideotronic album.

Last edited:

Moldiver

Nov 1, 2017
Scotland
Starfarer has a new album out, I worked on the track Discovery with him, he's been touring a bunch as well recently. Always good to see synthwave acts hit the road.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Starfarer has a new album out, I worked on the track Discovery with him...

Discovery is imho the best track on the album, it's great.

---

Nina's new single/EP is out on november 29. Heard it long ago as a live recording has been on Youtube since februari (I think). It's a damn great song, though only a remix is available right not. The original is better.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Damn Shane ... finally something that can rival Chase the Night. Need to listen to it with headphones though, there have been songs I'd thought was awesome listening on the phone ending up just ok with better sound.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Shane ... finally something that can rival Chase the Night. Need to listen to it with headphones though, there have been songs I'd thought was awesome listening on the phone ending up just ok with better sound.

I'm sure you will, pretty big sound and great production.

You're saying Chase the Night is your favourite song of the year?

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure you will, pretty big sound and great production.

You're saying Chase the Night is your favourite song of the year?

Listened to it now with my headphones and the initial 'damn this is bloody awesome' faded a bit. It's a great song but a bit too, I don't know how to put it... it doesn't have the synth sounds I love and is a but too up tempo. And it lacks a killer chorus.

Chase the Night is my vocal song of the year so far. There is still more than a month to go and some releases still, including Nina's. I think it's hard to compare vocal songs to instrumentals though... and which instrumental song that is my favourite I have no clue of. There are a lot of great one but none that sticks out. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for someone singing and prefer to listen to instrumental songs and then there are a couple that I prefer to Chase the Night. And the other way around.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to it now with my headphones and the initial 'damn this is bloody awesome' faded a bit. It's a great song but a bit too, I don't know how to put it... it doesn't have the synth sounds I love and is a but too up tempo. And it lacks a killer chorus.

Chase the Night is my vocal song of the year so far. There is still more than a month to go and some releases still, including Nina's. I think it's hard to compare vocal songs to instrumentals though... and which instrumental song that is my favourite I have no clue of. There are a lot of great one but none that sticks out. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for someone singing and prefer to listen to instrumental songs and then there are a couple that I prefer to Chase the Night. And the other way around.

Fair enough on all counts. I still dig the track!

I'd say my frontrunner for vocal track I've enjoyed the most is Malibu from Star Cassette. And instrumental? Yeah, not sure either. Different moods for both make sense, I'm the same way.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Have listened to it a couple of times throughout the day, and I agree, it's fantastic. One of the better vocal tracks this year. Still prefer Chase the Night but this one is really close. :)

I know Nina's single is released tomorrow, but the video was released last friday (it's filmed in my hometown, where I grew up, woohoo), so the last couple of days I've mostly listened to some other music. Been trying to see what's up with the better 80's synth music genre (that compared to Synthwave is a real 80's genre)... ;)

Sadly not that much released of quality nowadays except an album or two a year but, but searching around Bandcamp has at least made me find some new stuff. Like this, and a some other stuff by this Filipe Santos is quite good. Since some of you like 80's synth music this might at least interest someone.

(the second track here isn't spacesynth though and not good)

Spacesynth 4ever!

Last edited:

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the vocal tracks could certainly get a bit more notice, but ah well.

PRIZM presents their love letter to The Midnight and FM-84...

Bumping this because I think that this is my song of the year. It just takes 4 songs I already love and puts them into one song that is somehow even better. I've listened to it so many times over the last month it is already my most streamed song this year.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Hi all, can't believe I never found this thread before!

Wanted to know if anyone has either the Gunship or The Midnight's jackets, and what their opinions are re: quality/comfort.

TM_1988-Bomber_Mock_1024x1024.png

30900.jpg

Moldiver

Nov 1, 2017
Scotland

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Discovery is imho the best track on the album, it's great.

---

Nina's new single/EP is out on november 29. Heard it long ago as a live recording has been on Youtube since februari (I think). It's a damn great song, though only a remix is available right not. The original is better.

LTTP on this, but I love it! The almost hip-hoppy MAVS and slowed-down Le Cassette remixes are my favorites!

Some of the vocal tracks could certainly get a bit more notice, but ah well.

PRIZM presents their love letter to The Midnight and FM-84...

...and this is a gorgeous cover, although I know the lyrics to "Running in the Night" and "Never Stop" so well (heard Ollie perform both live ;) ) that I'm thrown every time they switch over.

Last edited:

MrBungle26

Feb 20, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Not many people seem to know about ZETA, so I figured I'd share a song. Side project of Daniel Tompkins(TesseracT) for any progmetal fans. His vocals fit so perfectly for the 80's synth style. The whole album is amazing and I been listening to it nonstop the last week.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Not many people seem to know about ZETA, so I figured I'd share a song. Side project of Daniel Tompkins(TesseracT) for any progmetal fans. His vocals fit so perfectly for the 80's synth style. The whole album is amazing and I been listening to it nonstop the last week.

Really digging this track! Looks like the album came out a couple years ago as well, will check it out asap. Thanks for sharing. edit: ehhh.. might not enjoy the album much.

Last edited:

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Good article. Probably the reason I haven't been listening to much lately. So many artists out there now.

The article is a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. The article even shares his other articles about complaining of "the good ol days". I can understand saying "so many artists artists out there now", but.. that's every genre of music. It's how things become genres. No genre of music is safe from a lot of artists putting out a lot of garbage. I'd consider myself a metalhead, but there's a lot of shit metal out there too.

Because there are a lot of people producing music doesn't mean there's any less good music out there. Just means there's probably going to be a lot more garbage to filter through. Because there are some 5/10/15/how ever many releases on a certain day doesn't take away the fact that any number of them could be great. (Also bombarded with singles and EPs, with LPs feeling like a rarity)

I'll go on bandcamp almost daily and just spend a few minutes browsing new releases, see if anything clicks and move on. Sure I miss great stuff since I don't check out everything, but I find plenty of shit and plenty of great releases too.

BUT, I have my concerns when I see specific artists pump out quantity over quality.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
The article is a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. The article even shares his other articles about complaining of "the good ol days". I can understand saying "so many artists artists out there now", but.. that's every genre of music. It's how things become genres. No genre of music is safe from a lot of artists putting out a lot of garbage. I'd consider myself a metalhead, but there's a lot of shit metal out there too.

Because there are a lot of people producing music doesn't mean there's any less good music out there. Just means there's probably going to be a lot more garbage to filter through. Because there are some 5/10/15/how ever many releases on a certain day doesn't take away the fact that any number of them could be great. (Also bombarded with singles and EPs, with LPs feeling like a rarity)

I'll go on bandcamp almost daily and just spend a few minutes browsing new releases, see if anything clicks and move on. Sure I miss great stuff since I don't check out everything, but I find plenty of shit and plenty of great releases too.

BUT, I have my concerns when I see specific artists pump out quantity over quality.
I don't think he would disagree with you that much:

"We're in a new era now, one in which synthwave does not refer to any one particular thing the way many of us are used to. It has grown in leaps and bounds over the past several years, certainly in size, but also in diversity — and perhaps most surpisingly [sic] — in quality.

The caliber of music being produced at the edges of the synthwave genre today is higher than anything that's come before it, with fully professional producers pairing with full-time singer-songwriters and putting together albums in proper studios with some exceptional results."

And it's less about putting out garbage, and more about putting out something so different that the genre widens exponentially. But the author doesn't see this as entirely bad, as mentioned above and hence the article's title.