• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Syria signs Paris Agreement - leaving US only country in the world to refuse climate change deal

Syria has signed the Paris climate agreement, leaving the US as the only country in the world not signed up to the framework to deal with greenhouse gas emissions.

When President Donald Trump announced he intended to pull the US out of the agreement, it initially meant America would join Nicaragua and Syria on a small list of countries who were not part of the deal.

The embattled country made the announcement in Bonn, Germany at the United Nations climate change negotiations (COP23). Syria is facing the sixth year of a brutal civil war, which started as rebel groups fighting the government of President Bashar al-Assad and and has expanded to include a battle against Isis.

The Paris accord was signed by nearly 200 countries in December 2015 in an effort to curb global greenhouse gas emissions and contain global warming to 2 degrees Celsius.

Until recently Nicaragua was also a holdout but because the Central American country felt the agreement did not go far enough in putting limits on emissions and helping poorer countries adapt to an already-changed planet with solid financial commitments by wealthier nations.

Scientists had confirmed that the emissions levels agreed upon by top polluters like the US, EU, China, and India were not low enough to keep sea levels from rising and keep global warming to 2 degrees Celsius, let alone the recommended and more ambitious goal of 1.5 degrees Celsius by 2100.

However, parties to the deal agreed - it was a far cry from having no global climate change agreement at all.

Also,

Trump not invited to Paris climate summit next month

French authorities say U.S. President Donald Trump is not among more than 100 world leaders invited to Paris for a climate summit next month.

French President Emmanuel Macron plans a summit to push his "Make our Planet Great Again" agenda on Dec. 12, the anniversary of the 2015 Paris climate accord.

A French diplomatic official said the countries invited are those who are "especially committed" to applying the Paris accord.

An invitation will soon be sent to invite the United States "at a diplomatic level," the official said. He was speaking anonymously in accordance with the French presidency's customary practice ahead of a major event.

Trump has said that the U.S. will pull out of the 2015 Paris accord unless he can secure a better deal.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, it's not very often (almost) the entire world agrees on something.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
In a fairness to America, I think even a lot of Republicans aren't in favor of Trump's decision. And knowing that guys glass ego, he probably won't move on his position and just double down.

I think the only hope is the next election, honestly.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
A country that was almost reduced to a giant bomb crater can see the importance of signing up, the US really blows my mind with how selfish and short sighted some of the people are.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
A country in the midst of a bloody civil war cares more about the environment than the US does. Shameful.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Syria is at fucking war and still has resources to plan a better future for the world. USA is staying at home eating overcooked steak with ketchup and doing nothing more.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I would say something about America fucking up but well we have Brexit shenanigans happening here so I can't say shit. You lot though - boy howdy did you pick a rum one.

Oct 26, 2017
Trump and his administration are such a bunch of backward thinking assholes.
Time for the world to boycott this country until a wise and sane person is president again.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that that the US being excluded from things such as this, will become more of an unfortunate common occurence going forward.

And what's crazy is that they may not mind, as with all this focus on MAGA or whatever other thinly veiled internal policy to push the current Republican greed agenda, the US will no longer be looking at the bigger picture till it's too late.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Good lord...so the USA is officially the least progressive country in the world re: climate change. All of the wealth you guys have and it's squandered on military instead of things that matter. Fuck you Trump.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Trump surely made the US the laughing stock of the other world leaders.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well Trump did run on an isolationist campaign did he not

lol

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
And any dumbass that supports Trump on this nonsense, too stupid to feel shame, embarrassment, while the rest of the world laughs at you.
Enjoy your isolationist exceptionalism, you dummkopfs.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Syria to jump on board, especially considering effects of climate change very much contributed to the current shitshow in the region.

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously what the hell... The people in power in the US should be ashamed of themselves. Serious question; do they really believe that global warming is a myth or is it just lobbyism 101? I mean is there like a great YouTube conspiracy video on it that's super convincing?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
It's a sad feeling when you have almost nothing in common with a huge portion of your fellow countrymen. As long as Trump and the Me 1st Always & Forever contingent that props him up continue to hold power I will be ashamed to hail from the US.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
America deserves all the sanctions for this. Climate change is the single most important issue for the planet in the near, intermediate, and long term future for every single existing speck on this rock.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The dude indiscriminately bombing civilians, starving them and running death camps shouldn't be offered legitimacy on the world stage. It's a moral objection, not political.

These kind of deals are really difficult already, putting in extra hurdles that can get twisted and used by other nations will make them impossible.

Syria committing to reduce CO2 isn't a problem or says anything about his regime.