• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Number one baby! 'Merica is the best in the world at what we do! I'm gonna go drive my big ol' truck to Burger King later and buy the Big Smoke special to celebrate!

2bb8b00148157baef9841520bfdcb4d3.gif

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Nicaragua signed as well?

Welp, that just about fucking sucks, doesn't it.

Nicaragua actually didn't sign it because it the agreement didn't do enough.

Nicaragua, which is often threatened by hurricanes, was the only country to reject the agreement in 2015, and has argued for far more drastic action to limit rising temperatures.

Apparently they are planning to sign it anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
These kind of deals are really difficult already, putting in extra hurdles that can get twisted and used by other nations will make them impossible.

Syria committing to reduce CO2 isn't a problem or says anything about his regime.

It's Syria, one country. Having the bar of not using chemical weapons on your own people should at least be a bar from participating on the world stage. Plus the absurdity of someone who has ruined his country and butchered his people committed to doing it more eco friendly. Assad doesn't even have the means to rebuild, much less doing it while reducing carbons.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
A country that was almost reduced to a giant bomb crater can see the importance of signing up, the US really blows my mind with how selfish and short sighted some of the people are.

Depending on how you look at it global warming actually exacerbated the Syria situation or at least sped up the initial action.

Won't be the last either.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's Syria, one country. Having the bar of not using chemical weapons on your own people should at least be a bar from participating on the world stage. Plus the absurdity of someone who has ruined his country and butchered his people committed to doing it more eco friendly. Assad doesn't even have the means to rebuild, much less doing it while reducing carbons.

But the reality is Assad had other countries on his side, I think it could easily descend into the usual geopolitical arguments and nothing getting done.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
America has a plan guys. It's a big deal. Going to be great, only the best deals.

Oct 25, 2017
But the reality is Assad had other countries on his side, I think it could easily descend into the usual geopolitical arguments and nothing getting done.

Russia/Iran had already signed on and committed o the accords. Syria wasn't integral to this, and isn't going to change the framework or even has the ability to enact the changes. Seems like a huge oversight in thinking.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Russia/Iran had already signed on and committed o the accords. Syria wasn't integral to this, and isn't going to change the framework or even has the ability to enact the changes. Seems like a huge oversight in thinking.

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong but I would think you would need agreement to exclude them, I don't know if that is possible or it would have needed to have been part of the negotiations etc.

I think the agreement is worth putting up with Syria signing on, we just need the USA to do what is right.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If you want to exclude Syria, then there are a shitload of other countries, including the US, Russia and China, that you could make compelling arguments for not letting into the club, at which point the whole thing becomes meaningless.

As said by previous poster, the environment isn't political. I disagree with the politics of many countries that are signatories, but that doesn't mean I can't be happy to see that they aren't so short-sighted as to publicly write-off the planet for short-term political advantage at home.

Dapplegrim

Oct 27, 2017
This is embarrassing. How can we hold our heads high as ""leaders of the free world"" when we can't even acknowledge basic facts that LITERALLY EVERY OTHER COUNTRY agrees upon?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
This is embarrassing. How can we hold our heads high as ""leaders of the free world"" when we can't even acknowledge basic facts that LITERALLY EVERY OTHER COUNTRY agrees upon?

America has become the nation where facts are just other opinions. You really, really, REALLY need to fix your educational system, because it somehow led to this.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The dude indiscriminately bombing civilians, starving them and running death camps shouldn't be offered legitimacy on the world stage. It's a moral objection, not political.
So you mean like what Saudi Arabia is doing in Yemen, or what Myanmar is currently up to, or what about NK, or Russia, etc? Assad isn't the only monster signed up. If you're going to exclude Syria, exclude the rest of them as well.

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America has become the nation where facts are just other opinions. You really, really, REALLY need to fix your educational system, because it somehow led to this.

I've been saying this from the beginning of the election. It is not possible for a human being with the most basic education to be suckered by Trump and his entire administration.

Oct 30, 2017
Makes me glad I'm in California, which is heavily involved in fighting climate change. Would be awesome if California actually got invited to the next summit, but the Trump administration wasn't.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, pretty fucking embarrassing. Jesus fuck, this is what people wanted when they voted Trump. Boggles the mind.

At the very least, I'm glad so many cities and states are dedicated to following the Paris accords even if the fuckwit in charge says we shouldn't.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Assad's regime cares about the environment as much as it cares for human lives

they're trying to reclaim legitimacy on the international stage, they didn't sign because they are so concerned about the climate
Horrible regimes can have their weirdly progressive singular views, especially when it comes to issues like climate change that have already ravaged Syria pretty badly so that could give even the shittiest of regimes like Syria's reason to go forward with trying to fight against it. Doesn't make them any less horrible, but it's not out of this world for shitty regimes to care about the environment even when they do some horrible shit otherwise.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As dumb and shameful as this is, there's still a pretty good chance we'll meet the requirements of this accord anyway. Trump can open all the coal mines he wants; the economics still vastly favor natural gas and renewables. We're just pissing away good will and our presence on the national stage, but that will be the next president's problem.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
inb4 he says it's unfair he wasn't invited only to realize why he wasn't invited. that or he'll create a special event that same day.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I voted straight down the Democrat column this morning. Felt good too.

Also voted to allow funding for cleaner environment and more funding to expand public libraries.

Hopefully those libraries will have lots of climate-related books.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder whether Trump's attitude will change if anyone whispers in his ear, Grima Wormtongue style, "You're being invited last, and they're laughing at you. LAUGHING. If you'd cared about the environment, you'd be tremendous, but now they're LAUGHING at you."

He really seems to care a lot about being laughed at in a mocking way. That's always his go to criticism for why something is a bad idea, so you can tell it's his biggest social phobia.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
It's shameful to the US really. Syria is a county entrenched in civil war yet they still sign the treaty. You can't defend this type of thing. But the US will try.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain

I'm in agreement with your general point, but the climate change issue is urgent and excluding a large portion of the world (Syria, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Israel, America Iran, Myanmar, NK...etc) would just hurt the planet and its inhabitants instead of helping them.

And let's be real, even if they excluded problematic regimes, America would get an exception anyway.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder whether Trump's attitude will change if anyone whispers in his ear, Grima Wormtongue style, "You're being invited last, and they're laughing at you. LAUGHING. If you'd cared about the environment, you'd be tremendous, but now they're LAUGHING at you."

He really seems to care a lot about being laughed at in a mocking way. That's always his go to criticism for why something is a bad idea, so you can tell it's his biggest social phobia.

I thought the US wasn't invited at all? Or did they send out a sympathy invite?