• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have, despite purchasing SS2, never played it or the first game. If the remake comes to consoles, I would look into it.

I have heard lavish praises for Shodan and consequently seen SS retrospective on YT. Hope that SS3 comes to all consoles.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I finished SS2 on Steam a week or two ago. Not exactly sure what they could enhanced other than adding more video options and subtitles maybe. You can already play it in 4K. I've had a few crashes sometimes while loading a map or alt+tabbing, so hopefully they can fix that.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
actually did mean DE and SS2 but through its legacy SS1 naturally belongs in that bucket as well, of course (as do the Thiefs^^).
Yeh I misread it from the initial tone of their reply, mb! Still not sure why they exploded.

Great announcement news though, interested to know what platforms it might be on, if any other than PC.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The current version System Shock 2 already has a lot of great options for modern machines, so I'm curious to see what changes in the EE.

TPspu9P.png

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yeh I misread it from the initial tone of their reply, mb! Still not sure why they exploded.

Great announcement news though, interested to know what platforms it might be on, if any other than PC.
Consoles would honestly surprise me, though SS2 seems easier to translate to a controller than SS1 at least (until the remake is out, that is).

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Night Dive is one of the best studios around at the moment. They've remastered so many great games.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Great news but as others said - need to see what they'll actually enhance as SS2 is already very much "enhanced" with mods and unofficial patches.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
funny i was just thinking about replaying this yesterday, guess i'll wait until this releases

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
RPS did a story on why Nightdive is doing this when the current version of SS2 technically already has all the basic modern amenities: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/12/no-one-knows-who-is-patching-system-shock-2/

Basically, nobody actually knows who the fuck is patching System Shock 2 right now.

It seems now that Nightdive somehow got its own hands on the source code for SS2, and Enhanced Edition is pretty much just their own fork that no longer relies on New Dark.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Do you think the remake of 1 will be better or worse to play than the remasters? Loved Prey but I only gonna play one out of the two System Shock 1 versions. I usually prefer controller gameplay so I might better wait for the remake?

Also, I cringe every time I see the SS abbreviation, but I guess that's because I'm German.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Do you think the remake of 1 will be better or worse to play than the remasters? Loved Prey but I only gonna play one out of the two System Shock 1 versions.

Also, I cringe every time I see the SS abbreviation, but I guess that's because I'm German.
"to play"? the remake will most likely be better "to play" just solely based on them modernizing all the UI and controls. If it will end up the better way to experience System Shock 2 tho... who knows.

Also, yes. I feel ya. I'm glad we mostly moved away from abbreviating Nintendo Switch as NS these days and use NSW lol.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you think the remake of 1 will be better or worse to play than the remasters? Loved Prey but I only gonna play one out of the two System Shock 1 versions. I usually prefer controller gameplay so I might better wait for the remake?
The original controls for the first time are quite something.

There's no mouselook, the actual game you see by default covers about 50% of the screen and the rest is your weapon inventory, icons you click to enable flashlights, enable crouching, and you click the sides of the "visor" (what you actually see besides the HUD) to turn and move.

DxoHOaeX4AE5bzi.jpg

More recent editions that run on modern computers have WASD and mouselook, and you can enlarge the viewing area, so it works but arguably still quite clunky.

I actually find it quite fun to play with the original (no mouselook!) control scheme as it feels unique but it's by no means conventional or convenient.

Jul 8, 2018
For anyone wondering if they should play the original System Shock or wait for the remake, I suggest they at least try out the Enhanced Edition. The lack of mouselook was the biggest hurdle to overcome before EE came out, currently the controls work pretty much the same as System Shock 2, so it shouldn't feel too outdated.

There's no mouselook, the actual game you see by default covers about 50% of the screen and the rest is your weapon inventory, icons you click to enable flashlights, enable crouching, and you click the sides of the "visor" (what you actually see besides the HUD) to turn and move.

Actually, you could play in full screen in the original game (unlike in Ultima Underworld 1 & 2) and there were keyboard shortcuts for crouching and moving as as well. But yeah, the controls still definitely took some getting used to.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The original controls for the first time are quite something.

DxoHOaeX4AE5bzi.jpg

More recent editions that run on modern computers have WASD and mouselook, and you can enlarge the viewing area, so it works but arguably still quite clunky.

I actually find it quite fun to play with the original (no mouselook!) control scheme as it feels unique but it's by no means conventional or convenient.

Thank you to you and everybody else for these helpful comments! The experiences look different enough to play both the remaster and potentially the remake afterwards next year.