• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
During their 20th Anniversary developer talk stream with some original Irrational Games folks, Night Dive announced System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition is inbound for some remastered shockage.

We don't know anything beyond that it exists. A refresher on what was "enhanced" for the EE of the first game as well as what the latest on the remake is, see the threadmarks.

Catch the archived stream here:

Last edited:

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
They've done such a wonderful job remastering catalog releases; I have no doubt their intimate knowledge of these games will aid in remaking them. There are so many legacy titles that deserve the nightdive treatment and so few developers like nightdive. System Shock fans, you're fortunate to have nightdive championing your cause.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What are the enhancements? I've never played SS2, so if they update it to support modern GPUs etc then I'll definitely give it a try.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
I'm pretty sure the current release of SS2 has already been updated to run on modern machines. That + mods makes this enhanced edition seem pretty redundant unless they make significant improvements.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Noice, one of the GOATs — although I'm not quite sure there's much to enhance. Original still runs fine?

System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition features
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What are the enhancements? I've never played SS2, so if they update it to support modern GPUs etc then I'll definitely give it a try.
All we know is in the tweet (not sure if they said anything more in the stream).

This is what they had for the EE of the first one:

System Shock: Enhanced Edition features:
  • Higher resolution support up to 4K widescreen mode
  • Mouselook support
  • Rebindable keyboard/mouse/joystick commands
  • Adapted to Nightdive's KEX engine
  • Support for both Direct3D and OpenGL
  • Option to switch between hi-resolution Mac assets and the original DOS assets
  • Official support for fan missions and fan mods
  • New unified options menu that allows changing preferences before gameplay
  • Adjustable FOV (Field of View)
  • Smoother camera rotation and translation
  • Improved control scheme which allows faster and streamlined experience
  • Brand new achievements
  • Remappable keys with three profiles to choose from: original controls, custom controls, and lefthanded controls.
  • Many original game bugs fixed.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Funny. I looked through an old Dreamcast magazine yesterday and it said that System Shock 2 was on its way to the Dreamcast! This was in 2000. Could we hope for a console version of this remaster down the line?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
He's saying nonsense lol
System Shock enhanced is PC only
System Shock Remake was announced for PC, PS4 and Xbox One
System Shock 3 is PC only, other consoles later.
3 is made by OtherSide, unrelated to Night Dive btw.

their Enhanced Editions and other classic remasters run on their internal KEX Engine, SS Remake uses UE4 hence it's compatible with and easier to bring to other consoles.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
How would this game work on a console with controller? Fallout 3-4 made it but do you think it would be possible for an intuitive port to console? PS4 could use the touch pad though that would be highly stressful I think

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
3 is made by OtherSide, unrelated to Night Dive btw.

their Enhanced Editions and other classic remasters run on their internal KEX Engine, SS Remake uses UE4 hence it's compatible with and easier to bring to other consoles.

They only made console ports to a small number of their relases that somewhat work with a controller. System Shock 1 or 2 arent feasible with gamepads. i wouldnt expect this on any console.

System Shock Remake that they're doing is redesigned in their vision, so they're remaking the game to be playable on a controller. The original game uses almost the whole keyboard

Psykotik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brunei
User Banned (Permanent): Drive-By Trolling; Numerous Prior Infractions Including Multiple Ban for Inflammatory Drive-By Posts; Account in Junior Phase
egs exclusive? would be a great get.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
The reason why they have no PS4 is that the KEX engine isn't optimised for it. I did hear that they were looking into porting KEX to PS4 so we might see the games (Turok, Blood, this one) come to PS4 in the future.

If Doom 64 PS4 port is based on the KEX engine port then maybe this will come sooner there.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
They only made console ports to a small number of their relases that somewhat work with a controller. System Shock 1 or 2 arent feasible with gamepads. i wouldnt expect this on any console.

System Shock Remake that they're doing is redesigned in their vision, so they're remaking the game to be playable on a controller. The original game uses almost the whole keyboard (the post sounds perfectly suited to the one right above yours^^)
wrong quote? :)
egs exclusive? would be a great get.
can we not, please...

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
neither of them are shooters, both are the genre defining immersive sim templates. system shock 2 is why bioshock was called "system shock lite without all the rpg elements"

I have played the ever loving fuck out of Deus ex and it is my favorite game of all time. Do not tell me what Deus ex is or isn't. My question was very straight forward and direct.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Shodan deserves a new audience, new playthings. Hope this comes to everything, so that everybody can run through her corridors.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017

System Shock Remake that they're doing is redesigned in their vision, so they're remaking the game to be playable on a controller. The original game uses almost the whole keyboard
Original System Shock used a clunky, archaic control system where you used the mouse as a cursor and clicked on various UI items to activate them. Dual analog + plus a bunch of function wheels would provide a faster and far more elegant control method than what the original release had.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Curious to see what they're going to add considering the mysterious 2013 engine patch already fixed pretty much everything.