• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Still sceptical, but hopeful. I don't think it really has a chance of living up to SS2, but that shit was lightning in a bottle. At the end of the day I just want an immersive sim that feels closer to the glory days of the genre than their modernised approximations which, whilst often good, have almost all failed to stick with me long after playing them.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After OtherSide Entertainment messed up Underworld: Ascendant i do not have much hope for SS3. This "gameplay" teaser does not change that.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
After OtherSide Entertainment messed up Underworld: Ascendant i do not have much hope for SS3. This "gameplay" teaser does not change that.

I mean I could tell you that it's a totally different team, in a whole other state, led by Spector rather than the one that made U:A, led by Paul Neurath, but I guess that won't matter.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is the progenitor of it all but I feel like it's gonna be hard to better Prey at this sort of game in this day and age.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is the progenitor of it all but I feel like it's gonna be hard to better Prey at this sort of game in this day and age.

I played Prey with no clue what I was getting into. 5 hours into the game I realized I was playing the system shock sequel I always wanted. Phenomenal game.

I pray that SS3 will be amazing but even if it isn't Prey already filled that gap nicely.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
Visually it looks good, lots of nice design work, but it seems pretty close plot-wise to the original game, which seems weird with the remake of SS1 also coming out soon. It really needs a hook like SS2 had with its multiple antagonists. And SHODAN's face is too emotive and angry; I think a more static, serene expression would be more appropriate, with minimal animation. But that's enough armchair criticism from me.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Re: Underworld Ascendant...

Ion Storm's Deus Ex to this day is one of the greatest PC games of all time. Remember Ion Storm? They also made Daikatana...

Not saying SS3 will be on par with a legend like Deus Ex, just reminding people of the parallel. Same company, different studios.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
This one takes place in 2085? So is it a seuqel prequel?

Either way I am excited to see more. Hopefully we can get a 2020 release date.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
System Shock 2 was the first co-op game I properly played. Despite it's horrendous net-code issues it was a phenomenal experience and I can't wait to play this.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't be more exited for this. This won't have Prey's development budget, so expectations should be tempered. However, I think they got the atmosphere / vibe spot on. Hopefully they will land the game-play and ideas/execution. I blindly trust Warren Spector

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Something REALLY good is cooking here. The legendary director of SS1 and Deus Ex,along with ex Looking Glass and Irrational Games devs,working on a SS3 ?

Fk me,that's a recipe for success

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Give it to me! Looks much improved. SS2 is one of the best games ever and the team behind it I want to have faith in.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's too early to judge the game but I loved seeing the System Shock 1 font since so many people pretend like the first game doesn't exist.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This game was announced a few years ago, and yet I'm still expecting it to release only in 2022 or later considering how little we've seen.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I played Prey with no clue what I was getting into. 5 hours into the game I realized I was playing the system shock sequel I always wanted. Phenomenal game.

I pray that SS3 will be amazing but even if it isn't Prey already filled that gap nicely.
1494172342_PREY.jpg

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This one takes place in 2085? So is it a seuqel prequel?

Spector talked a lot about how the game was supposed to shed a lot more light on the events of both of the prior games. Unless something changed, I wouldn't be surprised to see a time-jump happen at some point to 2114. That, or it's some kind of SS2 fake-out.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/30/12700542/system-shock-3-art

Spector pointed out that there are six survivors from the previous games. Their stories will all be addressed in System Shock 3 as well. Among the NPCs, there's Shodan and Siddons as well as her colleague, Tommy Suarez. The story will also include Rebecca Lansing, who was the player's human guide in the first game.

Also, the game will feature the two previous protagonists: the hacker from the original game, and the soldier from System Shock 2.

"We're going to tell their story," said Spector. "There are a lot of questions that went unanswered in those first two games and we have an obligation to fans to fill in the blanks. For new players I think that will pull them into a compelling narrative."

The story will also delve into the history of Edward Diego, a key character in the first game who persuades the player to hack into Shodan.

The original System Shock takes place in the year 2072, while System Shock 2 takes place 42 years later in 2114, also the year in which the new game picks up the story.

Last edited:

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Looks nothing like that incredible 90's looking concept art they released a few years ago :(

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I should play the first two before this comes out. It's one of those games I never got to play when they came out.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Good trailer, and Shodan is looking great there. Probably be a while still, but there is the SS1 remake to look forward to.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should play the first two before this comes out. It's one of those games I never got to play when they came out.
This is going to sound unorthodox, but start with the second one. It's a whole lot easier to swallow today and the other one. The first one can easily be enjoyed as inspiration and a retrospective.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is going to sound unorthodox, but start with the second one. It's a whole lot easier to swallow today and the other one. The first one can easily be enjoyed as inspiration and a retrospective.

Yeah, even as someone who played the first game back in 1996, replaying it these days is still kinda hard simply due to the controls, and even the Enhanced Edition doesn't make it as easy to control as modern first person games because you have to press a button every single time you want to go between free look and looting items.

SS2 is a lot easier to introduce to new players, because at least the controls aren't extremely outdated.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Still can't believe this is a thing tbh, with Warren Spector working on it no less. Truly the gen of dreams.

Wait what? This thread generated only such amount of reactions? If itw as the low / noob core less interesting failed clone Bioshock then it would have generated dozens of pages by now. Sigh.
This is all I have been waiting for even more than HL3 (since this will never happen after all).
It seems the people here are the only ones old enough to remember this beautiful hadrcore masterpiece that isntalled the bases of cyberpunk/cyberspace stealth FPS.