• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I could tell you that it's a totally different team, in a whole other state, led by Spector rather than the one that made U:A, led by Paul Neurath, but I guess that won't matter.
Maybe we'd been less skeptical if "this is the B team's project, silly noob" had been brought up at any point prior to U:A's release.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Hey stop carefully at 0:56. It says S.H.O.I.A.N and not S.H.O.D.A.N. Is this a new entity?

Yeah, it says SHODAN first then turns into SHOIAN:

122wcjuy.jpg

3336jkx3.jpg

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's one pissed off A.I. Kinda reminds me of Quake and Dead Space. Not sure who inspired who between Quake and System Shock though.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Well, "lifted" sounds a bt strange, after all both games were made by Irrational.
It's just that they stuck to what worked before, except where they didn't. And I feel Bioshock was poorer for it

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bioshock was babbie's first System Shock game.

It's not that they took a lot from it, but they also got rid of many "complicated" elements that made SS amazing instead of just good.

Bioshock belongs to an ugly period in the FPS genre when everything had to be "streamlined" because trends and consoles said so.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That's just likely a glitch for artistic purposes.

I don't think so.

S.H.O.D.A.N. stands for (Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network),
S.H.O.I.A.N. may stand for a newer morphed entity (Sentient Hyper-Infuriated? Data Access Network),

but Bioshock 1 sold 4 million copies

Well, "lifted" sounds a bt strange, after all both games were made by Irrational.
It's just that they stuck to what worked before, except where they didn't. And I feel Bioshock was poorer for it

Thats becasue it was for casual players, a more simlpified and bastardised version of System Shock that ommited most of the hardcore gameplay parts like the analysing every part you collect, being able to read about anything in your pda, augmenting youserlf with mechanical or bionical appendicesand even play games all while being the inagme pda and having the risk being attacked by enemies (which means using your PDA doesn't pause the game liek most fo games). lso having to chosoe between different classes befroe playign and each class allow a tremdenous amount of modifications that lets you advance ina very fancy way. and many other hardcore stuff I forgot that add so much to the replayabiilty of the game.

Bioshock got all of those elemenst ommited while keeping the basic one and even copying the main story elements and knots like the main plot twist but beeing less cool sicne othing compares to the epic SHODAN.

Looking to seel more requires being more casual that is the price to pay for us hardcore gamers to get a watered down clone.

So glad the real deal is back with the creator of legends: Deus x, Thief and System Shock.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bioshock was babbie's first System Shock game.

It's not that they took a lot from it, but they also got rid of many "complicated" elements that made SS amazing instead of just good.

Bioshock belongs to an ugly period in the FPS genre when everything had to be "streamlined" because trends and consoles said so.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe we'd been less skeptical if "this is the B team's project, silly noob" had been brought up at any point prior to U:A's release.

Why would they ever say anything like A Team or B Team though? U:A went into production before Neurath convinced Spector to do SS3, but one thing they've been very open about - especially when talking on forums like TTLG and the Steam forums - is that Paul led his own team on U:A and Spector has his on SS3.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Oh, they're not really part of each other then?
The events of System Shock do play into the storyline of the sequel, however prior knowledge isn't required as System Shock 2 does a good job of explaining said events. I played 2 before going back to the original, which just helps flesh out the story (pun intended :P)

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I played SS2 before I even looked at SS and I never felt like I was missing anything.

Recent mods make it a lot more enjoyable, too.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017

Which is funny because early Bioshock looked more like System Shock than the final product did.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I like SHODAN better without the animated face I think.

The System Shock 2 design was perfect.

Until that stupid ending.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I hate how much Bioshock's derided for it's gameplay these days. It may lack the complexity of a SS or DE but it was still damn good and possessed other qualities which made it a great game.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Speaking of System Shock remake, how's the current development progress is going?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of System Shock remake, how's the current development progress is going?
They released a September update for backers a while ago. Seems pretty good.

They'd gone with a rather generic look a couple years ago but then they did a do-over that cost them around a year of dev time I think. Now the game really looks like the first game brought back to life.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Looking good!

I played SS2 before I even looked at SS and I never felt like I was missing anything.

Recent mods make it a lot more enjoyable, too.
Same. SS2 still holds up really well, especially with some of the recommended mod packs.

Never played SS1 and my plan has basically been to check out the remake once that's out, and then SS3.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thats becasue it was for casual players, a more simlpified and bastardised version of System Shock that ommited most of the hardcore gameplay parts like the analysing every part you collect, being able to read about anything in your pda, augmenting youserlf with mechanical or bionical appendicesand even play games all while being the inagme pda and having the risk being attacked by enemies (which means using your PDA doesn't pause the game liek most fo games). lso having to chosoe between different classes befroe playign and each class allow a tremdenous amount of modifications that lets you advance ina very fancy way. and many other hardcore stuff I forgot that add so much to the replayabiilty of the game.

Bioshock got all of those elemenst ommited while keeping the basic one and even copying the main story elements and knots like the main plot twist but beeing less cool sicne othing compares to the epic SHODAN.

Looking to seel more requires being more casual that is the price to pay for us hardcore gamers to get a watered down clone.
That's what I've been saying since 2007. I do hope the Prey formula gets more love in the future.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tell that to casual young players who loved Bioshock and neevr witnessed the majestic System Shock 2. When Prey came up, I found a twig of hope in the genre that reminded me of it.
I've been trying to, but they're not particularly receptive. Levine had a really great idea with Bioshock, setting-wise, but he pretty much squandered the potential in terms of gameplay.

I am super happy that more complex systems are making a comeback, especially in indie and AA games.