• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

https://otherside-e.com/wp/games/system-shock-3/

As revealed in the Unity GDC keynote.

The game is still an immersive sim (of course) and is all about fear and isolation in space; it's set in a new space station that is under SHODAN's control (populated by "robots, mutants and the dead").

As a refresher: Otherside Entertainment recently bought back the publishing rights (PC and Console) for System Shock 3 from Starbreeze. No new publisher has been announced yet but Otherside has said there are interested parties.

image_20000-1024x341.png

image_30000-1024x339.png

image_40001-1024x341.png

Warren Spector's comments to Polygon (2016) on the story for SS3.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/30/12700542/system-shock-3-art

Spector pointed out that there are six survivors from the previous games. Their stories will all be addressed in System Shock 3 as well. Among the NPCs, there's Shodan and Siddons as well as her colleague, Tommy Suarez. The story will also include Rebecca Lansing, who was the player's human guide in the first game.

Also, the game will feature the two previous protagonists: the hacker from the original game, and the soldier from System Shock 2.

"We're going to tell their story," said Spector. "There are a lot of questions that went unanswered in those first two games and we have an obligation to fans to fill in the blanks. For new players I think that will pull them into a compelling narrative."

The story will also delve into the history of Edward Diego, a key character in the first game who persuades the player to hack into Shodan.

The original System Shock takes place in the year 2072, while System Shock 2 takes place 42 years later in 2114, also the year in which the new game picks up the story.

More information from Otherside's Discord:

On publishers:
jxBInDB.png

On SHODAN:
JxYnpn9.png

On Otherside (both Boston and Austin) learning from the development of Underworld Ascendant.
99nedeG.png

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
SHODAN looks a bit weird but maaaaaaaaan the visuals are on point. That bit in the teaser with Cortex Reaver whew. I've got faith, especially considering Warren is behind it.

Oct 29, 2017
On one hand they didn't redesign SHODAN into something grounded or gritty that tries too look realistic but end up being a tad boring, on the other hand that's a really 2000s design.

Nov 8, 2017
Doesn't look that great but it's a mid budget title so it's in line with my expectations. As long as the gameplay is good I'll be there day one.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a mid to low budget game right? It looks good for what it is I guess.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd bet one of those interested parties gonna be Epic. Outside of it being a Unity showcase, seems like prime material for them.

And given how Otherside's other game turned out, they might actually be needed budget wise. Not really gonna get too excited until we know how Otherside's gonna get money at this point.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
uffffffff this looks so low budget. also the shodan design is much better in the remake

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Teaser didn't do much for me, looks nice but it's pretty much nothing. Going to need to see some gameplay before I get too excited.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good other than Shodan.

I am not sure what is going on there because she is similiar to the one in SS2. I think her voice isn't glitchy enough and her looks should have been changed like in SS1 into SS2.

An evolved new look would be very fitting IMO.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know this story.

It will come out in 6 years and be underwhelming.

Fingers crossed though.

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something, people keep saying it looks low budget but not listing why.

Is it cause of Shodan? Is it cause of Unity? I'm so confused lol

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the clawing animation I don't think this looks that low budget. Maybe the model in the chair.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the sequel was cancelled?

No. You might be thinking of how the remake (another project by a different team) encountered troubles last year and had to scope down to a more traditional remake rather than continue the expanded reimagining they pivoted to mid-way through development.

It's now back on track.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Unity though. Isn't the System Shock remake using Unreal?

Subnautica Below Zero is Unity and on the store.

I do however think none of their exclusives are Unity and Epic did have a very public move against Unity last year when Unity was doing their bullshit with their multiplayer partner.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
No. You might be thinking of how the remake (another project by a different team) encountered troubles last year and had to scope down to a more traditional remake rather than continue the expanded reimagining they pivoted to mid-way through development.
No. The remake of the original was breifly put on hold like a year ago, but that has since made steady progress towards completion for a while now
No, I just thought the sequel was cancelled when Nightdive Studios gave the System Shock rights back to OtherSide Entertainment.

Feb 12, 2019
I know it's a separate team under Warren Spector, but man I hope what happened to Underworld Ascendant isn't a harbinger of how System Shock 3 will end up.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You will play this game, Insect.

This is absolutely at the top of my interest list. SS2 was such a fine, fine game.