• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a question for you guys. I have a Panasonic VT30, one of the better plasma TVs of the last generation. How different would downsampled 4K to 1080p look like on a TV like that compared to a mid-range 4K TV?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
So I have a question for you guys. I have a Panasonic VT30, one of the better plasma TVs of the last generation. How different would downsampled 4K to 1080p look like on a TV like that compared to a mid-range 4K TV?
I have a VT50. It'll look sharper/less jaggy, but it won't look as good as a true 4K picture: that's just not possible with downsampling.

Honestly, I moved my plasma downstairs for movies etc, where the difference over LCD/LED makes a bigger difference for me, and got a low input lag LED for my games room.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
Sony doing the right thing. The only games I have which take advantage of this are Everybody's Golf and Kingdom Hearts, but it's appreciated nonetheless. It also acts a solution for future cases of developer's not bothering to do it themselves.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's almost heartbreaking. I honestly cannot believe this is the "make-or-break" difference between getting a Pro or not for so many posters... either you have extremely specific taste in games or a great misunderstanding of the situation either before or after this update.

Shouldn't be make or break anymore seeing as they patched it in.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
Hopefully this paves the way for improved display resolution support, read: 2560x1440. I suppose we're looking at another year's wait though considering how long this supersampling implementation took.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Sony doing the right thing. The only games I have which take advantage of this are Everybody's Golf and Kingdom Hearts, but it's appreciated nonetheless. It also acts a solution for future cases of developer's not bothering to do it themselves.

I think the inclusion of system wide super sampling will mean that developers no longer have to worry about coding it in to their games.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Ok I wanted to finish The Last Guardian this week, guess I'll wait :)
If you're on a 1080p display, you'll probably want to keep this setting off and stick to native 1080p rendering. The Last Guardian has some performance issues with it's 4K mode, dropping frame rates down to the range that the base PS4 runs the game at.
Any word on how this works with PS2 classics?
It has nothing to do with PS2 classics.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the inclusion of system wide super sampling will mean that developers no longer have to worry about coding it in to their games.
This is not how it works. A developer still has to make the game render at a higher-than-1080p resolution.

The reason this option was added is because some developers for some reason have specifically coded in "if connected display is 1080p, render in 1080p". This supersampling option is designed to bypass this kind of asshole code as the PS4 Pro will tell the game that a 4K display is connected even though one isn't.

Examples:
Assassin's Creed Origins is NOT affected by this supersampling mode in any way, because the game does not care what display you have. Ubisoft has made the game render at a (dynamic) 1800p if you have a Pro console, full stop. The game does not check your display, it renders in 1800p regardless. Therefore this supersampling mode has no effect at all in AC Origins.

Meanwhile, Rocket League has this weird asshole code implemented, where the game checks what display you have and disables the Pro-enhanced higher resolution if you have a 1080p display connected. This new supersampling option bypasses the asshole code by telling the game that a 4K display is connected even though it's not true. So you get to enjoy the game's Pro benefits with a 1080p screen even if Psyonix does not want you to.

Then there's some cases like No Man's Sky and Life is Strange: Before the Storm where you get a choice between 4K mode and high frame rate mode, but the game itself does not contain a setting to change this. Instead, you'll have to flick this supersampling option off if you want high frame rate, or on if you want resolution. It's a mess.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on a 1080p display, you'll probably want to keep this setting off and stick to native 1080p rendering. The Last Guardian has some performance issues with it's 4K mode, dropping frame rates down to the range that the base PS4 runs the game at.
It has nothing to do with PS2 classics.
Nowhere near as much.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you got in, you may receive an email confirming it along with a voucher code for a beta tester avatar. You should also receive a system notification on your PS4 console.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Nowhere near as much.
Almost exactly near as much.

[DigitalFoundry 4K] The Last Guardian PS4 vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test and [DigitalFoundry 4K] The Last Guardian: Patch 1.03 PS4 vs PS4 Pro Frame-Rate Test

Base PS4 and PS4 Pro's 4K mode have very similar performance ranges where the consoles fight for 2nd place against PS4 Pro's 1080p mode. No improvements in frame rate were made in the latest version tested by DF except for fixing a couple of bottleneck areas.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Almost exactly near as much.

[DigitalFoundry 4K] The Last Guardian PS4 vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test and [DigitalFoundry 4K] The Last Guardian: Patch 1.03 PS4 vs PS4 Pro Frame-Rate Test

Base PS4 and PS4 Pro's 4K mode have very similar performance ranges where the consoles fight for 2nd place against PS4 Pro's 1080p mode. No improvements in frame rate were made in the latest version tested by DF except for fixing a couple of bottleneck areas.
Like what I said, nowhere near as much. In cherry picked scenes (the water filled cave notably) they run similarly, but usually the 4K mode runs noticeably higher, often with a 3-5fps lead.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
This new supersampling option bypasses the asshole code by telling the game that a 4K display is connected even though it's not true. So you get to enjoy the game's Pro benefits with a 1080p screen even if Psyonix does not want you to.
Developers were not just being "assholes" trying to keep things from you. They had the option to offer different benefits to users depending on what display they were using. So Rocket League on 1080p had a better framerate instead of downsampling. And this was true for the great majority of non-downsampled games. (A couple had other benefits, like the altered approach to improved IQ of The Witness. A couple had no obvious advantage at all, but I bet there were some marginal fps gains.)

I certainly think it's better that users will now have a choice. But to say that the previous approach was solely the work of weird assholes conspiring against you is the worst form of "lazy dev" nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
Developers were not just being "assholes" trying to keep things from you. They had the option to offer different benefits to users depending on what display they were using. So Rocket League on 1080p had a better framerate instead of downsampling. And this was true for the great majority of non-downsampled games. (A couple had other benefits, like the altered approach to improved IQ of The Witness. A couple had no obvious advantage at all, but I bet there were some marginal fps gains.)

I certainly think it's better that users will now have a choice. But to say that the previous approach was solely the work of weird assholes conspiring against you is the worst form of "lazy dev" nonsense.
I already noted some cases that I know of (No Man's Sky and Life is Strange prequel) that do give you a frame rate benefit so it's not a complete loss with a 1080p screen without the 5.50 update. But Rocket League has nothing. I have the beta with the supersampling option and it works just as well as it always did.

I also agree that having a choice on the matter is much better - this should save development time as they don't have to put in a menu option now. But I think it's going to get really confusing with some games offering menu options that you must remember to select and others relying on the system settings and some not offering anything if you're in 1080p with supersampling disabled. Era's PS4 Pro enhancements list threadis starting to become a mandatory resource if you want to get all the Pro benefits out of your game.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I already noted some cases that I know of (No Man's Sky and Life is Strange prequel) that do give you a frame rate benefit so it's not a complete loss with a 1080p screen without the 5.50 update. But Rocket League has nothing. I have the beta with the supersampling option and it works just as well as it always did.

...Era's PS4 Pro enhancements list threadis starting to become a mandatory resource if you want to get all the Pro benefits out of your game.
Thanks for letting me know about that resource. :) You'll note from looking over it that in fact, almost all games without downsampling have better framerates instead. That includes Rocket League. Titles like that which are already pretty close to their target aren't dramatically improved, so you personally may not notice the enhancement the way you would a jump to 60fps. That doesn't mean there's nothing, or that other folks can't notice. Even just more stability, rather than an overall higher fps, can make a big difference to some people (see many comments about The Last Guardian).

The upshot is that there are benefits, and your repeated assertion that devs were intentionally withholding all advantage is both insulting and untrue.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Check out a game like rise of the tomb raider. I played it on my old Kuro 9g plasma.

The difference in image quality between 4k mode and 1080p mode was pretty noticeable. It eliminated a lot of the shimmering you get in backgrounds due to aliasing.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been noticing my ps4 pro being much slower since the update and activating super sampling. Am I the only one having this issue?

Deleted member 20166

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, there are moments when the FPS is low. I first noticed in GT Sport. And after that in Fortnite.
Is clear that some performance issues are present. Personally, I prefer to turn off this feature.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there are moments when the FPS is low. I first noticed in GT Sport. And after that in Fortnite.
Is clear that some performance issues are present. Personally, I prefer to turn off this feature.

Fornite only renders at 1080p, supersampling wouldn't be doing anything. GT Sport already supported supersampling.

Deleted member 20166

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With GT on performance mode and SS activated the game is not as smooth as before. Is worse than quality mode.
About Fortnite I don't know how or what renders but again, is not smooth anymore.

I don't know, maybe is placebo but i choose to turn it off.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I've been noticing my ps4 pro being much slower since the update and activating super sampling. Am I the only one having this issue?
The system is running slower overall or specific games? I've read a few anecdotes on Reddit saying systems are running slower but it's the same stuff you see after every update and mostly from base / Slim owners. I'm playing AC Origins right now on Pro with supersampling on (I think it already supported it though) and things have been very smooth for me.

OS level stuff is running just fine as well, though I have noticed since 5.50 beta trophy sync takes longer, and it seems to sit at 66-70% when syncing for a few seconds before finalizing. Also for some reason trophies sync every time I open the menu, not just when a new game shows on the list or new trophies are unlocked. Before if I just went in to look it wouldn't force a sync.