• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. Now there's nothing preventing me from buying something like The Last Guardian. Quality over performance, always.

In this particular case you might want to consider if the higher IQ is worth it, because as far as I know the game runs only stable 30fps on PS4 Pro at 1080p. The 4K mode drops below and base PS4 is a mess. :(

The game is amazing, by the way! One of my all time favorite games. Every PS4 owner should imo play it.

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is the PS4 Pro worth it if I don't have a 4K screen?
Depends on how important it is to you to have the best version of games, basically.

I have a 1080 and enjoy downsampling and the other Pro benefits from patched games. The downsampling is definitely obvious on a 1080 screen, though your mileage may vary depending on how close you sit etc and the screen size. Now that I've got an X, though, I'm using that for multiplatform - where the benefits are generally larger.

The number of PS4 Pro games running above 1080 that don't downsample is very few, so although this update is welcome and overdue, personally it wouldn't make the difference for me between buying a Pro or not.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
welcome news as i just got a Pro but waffling whether i want to shell out for a 4K tv right now. i just don't spend enough time in my living room these days to justify it

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Pretty good to finally have it on the Pro.. not really needed for me since i have a 4K screen but super important for 1080p owners.. it makes a lot of difference

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
In this particular place you might want to consider if the higher IQ is worth it, because as far as I know the game runs only stable 30fps on PS4 pro at 1080p. The 4K mode drops below and base PS4 is a mess. :(

The game is amazing, by the way! One of my all time favorite games. Every PS4 owner should imo play it.

I'll have to try how it plays in both modes, but considering the framerate and -pacing issues never bothered me in Bloodborne, I think the performance issues wouldn't bother me in TLG either. Unless it's really much worse there.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Really nice if it's a toggle. I remember The Last Guardian running better in 1080p mode for example, which means I wouldn't turn it on for this game.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
But how is this a problem, it's only 0.00000000000000001% of all enhanced games that don't support supersampling and only SOME OF THE BEST GAMES ON THE PLATFORM

/s

Finally, took them long enough.

Oct 25, 2017
awesome although the lack of it never bothered me personally.

Off topic: My phone keyboard acts weird only on Era, for example pressing space adds a random letter atathe end of the words and autocorrect activate despite being off byb default. I havehto make micro adjustments all the time. onlyo on Era though, am I the only one?

ImI using Swift keyboard btw.

Same and it only happens on era. It's like my spell check and prediction does not work on this site. I'm using Gboard btw as well. I don't know if this is related to either using era from Chrome or Android. I'm using a Pixel and getting this issue.

Good, should have been in from the start. Competition made them do it at least.

I doubt it wasn't cooking but agreed. This is why competion is healthy and why a one console future is for the birds.

Oct 26, 2017
i don't think you get what supersampling means...

this is system wide super sampling as it is defined and widely understood..

i.e. games that got the option to display native resolution higher than 1080p on 4ktv will still display that larger than 4k resolution even on 1080p screen, thus resulting a sharper image.

Before this update, supersampling is done via per-game level as defined by the devs and those with a ps4 pro and a 1080p cannot run the game beyond 1080p resolution unless the devs programmed the option. Now this update can work around this limitation on a system level.

This is system wide supersampling.

bloodborne doesn't have a patch for it to go beyond 1080p so it will have no effect.

Yah but usually supersampling options in PC games imply that enabling them WILL bump up internally rendered resolution. That's not happening here.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its the same if my understanding is now right.

0.2 ran at 1080p on Pro to start with, so 1080p tvs would see no difference.

On a game like KH1.5+2.5 however, 1080p users will now get the full benefit of native 4K downsampled with this mode

That's what I get for not reading until the (Dream Drop Distance) part. Oh well, looks like Ys VIII is supported though, so I'll get to enjoy that with crisp IQ and new translation. Definitely makes up for the PC version being delayed again.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Anything that showcases the difference between supersample and not for any ps4 game?

Titanfall 2:
aBn9Vl.png

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Yah but usually supersampling options in PC games imply that enabling them WILL bump up internally rendered resolution. That's not happening here.
if your pc games doesn't provide the option to display resolution higher than what it's programmed to, then no..i don't think you understand what supersampling is. (unless you are talking about meddling with .ini config files and the whatnot which is a moot point for console games)..

are you confusing supersampling with upscaling?

Oct 25, 2017
This will be fantastic for Kingdom Hearts. Just got a Pro and sold my PS4, I'm waiting for it to arrive so I can continue my KH playthrough without expecting any improvements, so that's great news.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Same and it only happens on era. It's like my spell check and prediction does not work on this site. I'm using Gboard btw as well. I don't know if this is related to either using era from Chrome or Android. I'm using a Pixel and getting this issue.
This is way the fuck off topic, but sometimes the font size on my posts get screwed up when I post on mobile using Chrome. It's weird as hell.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
This will allow me to trick the Netflix app into using the 4k stream with higher bitrate as well I guess... nice, maybe I will keep my 1080p OLED a bit longer!

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to try how it plays in both modes, but considering the framerate and -pacing issues never bothered me in Bloodborne, I think the performance issues wouldn't bother me in TLG either. Unless it's really much worse there.
It's much, MUCH worse.

It's seriously one of the best games I've ever played, but the performance in base PS4 and 4K mode on PS4 Pro is a mess, absolutely terrible. You have to consider that IQ is also affected by framerate, as it translates into temporal resolution, and you lose clarity in motion if the framerate is lower.

Maybe for a 4K TV I can see an argument being made, but since you're looking into supersampling, I'd argue you'll lose image quality for going the downsampling route in this particular game.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
awesome although the lack of it never bothered me personally.

Off topic: My phone keyboard acts weird only on Era, for example pressing space adds a random letter atathe end of the words and autocorrect activate despite being off byb default. I havehto make micro adjustments all the time. onlyo on Era though, am I the only one?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/anyone-else-having-swiftkey-issues-with-resetera.19469/

Also, in the latest news-update the admins said they're looking into it.

Oct 27, 2017

The Last Guardian gave me headaches every time i played it because the framerate was so bad. Still think it's one of the greatest games on Ps4, but an average of under 25 fps is unbearable.

Maybe you won't notice it as much.

Number9

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Well, now I wonder if I should get a 1080p monitor for 100-200€ instead of a 4K one for 400-500€ and just upgraded in the future, when 4K HDR monitors are available at a decent price. Is it worth it to spend 300€ for the difference between "native" and supersampled 4K?

Would this work for 4K movies/media as well?

Good question. Interested as well.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Don't think there's such a thing as 4K downsampling when it comes to video. From my understanding 1080p TVs can't even play UHD discs.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow. just when i was finally considering an XB1X. welp that's that sorted! gonna get me a PS4 Pro i think.

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Same here, I also use Swift.

OT: I don't have a Pro, but this is definitely a good feature to be implemented. Better late than never, I guess.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This and Boost Mode makes PS4 Pro an incredible console for 1080p TVs. Glad I bought one a few months back!