• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
www.t-mobile.com

T‑Mobile Completes Merger with Sprint to Create the New T‑Mobile ‑ T‑Mobile Newsroom

Supercharged Un‑carrier positioned to deliver unparalleled network reliability, value, innovation and commitment to customers now, when it’s more important than ever.
T-Mobile US Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) announced today that it has officially completed its merger with Sprint Corporation to create the New T-Mobile, a supercharged Un-carrier that will deliver a transformative 5G network. The parent of the combined company is T-Mobile US, Inc., whose shares of common stock will continue to trade on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol "TMUS". The combined company will operate under the name T-Mobile.

The New T-Mobile's commitment to building the world's best broad and deep nationwide 5G network, which will bring lightning-fast speeds to urban areas and underserved rural communities alike, is more critical than ever, as reliable connectivity has become so important to Americans. With 14 times more capacity in six years than standalone T-Mobile has today, the New T-Mobile network will be able to offer unmatched value to consumers, with better service at lower prices. The company will also continue to focus on its commitment to customers and being a force for good. The enhanced scale and financial strength of the combined company will drive a planned investment of $40 billion into its network, business and more over the next three years. Synergies achieved from the integration have the potential to unlock massive scale and unleash at least $43 billion in value for shareholders.

The company also announced that with close of the merger, it has successfully completed its long-planned Chief Executive Officer transition from John Legere to Mike Sievert ahead of schedule. Effective immediately, Sievert will assume the role of CEO of T-Mobile. Legere, who served as CEO of T-Mobile since 2012, built a culture around listening to employees, putting the customer first and shaking up the market with signature Un-carrier moves. During his tenure, Legere engineered a turnaround of the company as T-Mobile completely disrupted the wireless industry and became the fastest growing company in wireless, capturing 80% of the industry's postpaid phone growth from 2013 to today. Legere will continue as a member of the Board of Directors for the remainder of his current term, through the Annual Meeting of Shareholders scheduled in June 2020.
THE WORLD'S MOST TRANSFORMATIVE NETWORK
Strong, dependable network connectivity has never been more critical to customers or to Strong, dependable network connectivity has never been more critical to customers or to the country. Now the New T-Mobile will focus on creating a much-needed transformational nationwide 5G network, driving innovation in the U.S. and bringing wireless access to people throughout the country. This quantum leap forward can only be achieved by using T-Mobile and Sprint's combined low-, mid- and high-spectrum bands — and only the New T-Mobile will have the resources to do it quickly.

• The network will have 14 times more capacity in the next six years than T-Mobile alone has today, enabling the New T-Mobile to leapfrog the competition in network capability and experience.
  • Customers will have access to average 5G speeds up to eight times faster than current LTE in just a few years and 15 times faster over the next six years.
  • Within six years, the New T-Mobile will provide 5G to 99% of the U.S. populationand average 5G speeds in excess of 100 Mbps to 90% of the U.S. population.
  • New T-Mobile's business plan is built on covering 90% of rural Americans with average 5G speeds of 50 Mbps, up to two times faster than broadband on average.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The integration will be a long and rocky road. It will be interesting to see T-Mobile without Legere. He changed the entire industry.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I accept this. Hopefully this will allow TMobile to expand their network. I loved being with them but had to switch to Verizon when I moved to the South as they didn't have coverage in many of the areas we visited.

Oct 25, 2017
So when do we start seeing a difference?

And when do Sprint users start seeing T-Mobile on their phones? By the next iPhone launch?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm worried this will make them change their bottom line and excellent customer service.
That's the marketing backbone for them. Sacrificing that would definitely be a huge mistake.

No, this is essentially just absorbing Sprint's network coverage into T-Mobiles to make one bigger network with better coverage. In fact, by proxy, a network with better coverage will make support better as their operators won't be tied up with calls about bad coverage :P

There's pretty much no negatives to this merger

Oct 27, 2017
As of now, my phone still works. Don't know when they will cut over to T-Mobile branding. Will watch out for what they do with the sprint store down the road.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
T-Mobile network has always been dookie where I live, I'd like to switch because it seems cheaper but AT&Ts network is so much better here.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
As a Sprint costumer for the last 20 years I am dreading this. I have had amazing coverage, speed, and unlimited data. T-Mobile is garbage around here so I fear this will only have a negative effect.

Oct 27, 2017
So when do we start seeing a difference?

And when do Sprint users start seeing T-Mobile on their phones? By the next iPhone launch?
Maybe a few years as Sprint is on a CDMA network and it won't be until their next phone upgrade that the original Sprint customers will be using the GSM towers.

Basically, I think they will keep the Sprint towers up for a few years and then as people gradually upgrade the CDMA towers will be replaced with GSM.

Edit: Actually nvm, as other posters have said it seems like roaming/migrating between networks isn't much of an issue so there shouldn't be any conversion period. Don't know how this would change things.

Last edited:

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
That's the marketing backbone for them. Sacrificing that would definitely be a huge mistake.

No, this is essentially just absorbing Sprint's network coverage into T-Mobiles to make one bigger network with better coverage. In fact, by proxy, a network with better coverage will make support better as their operators won't be tied up with calls about bad coverage :P

There's pretty much no negatives to this merger

Okay. :) I'm a former AT&T user so I'm attached to my T-Mobile.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
This was one of those rare mergers where I wasn't bothered. I was a Sprint customer a few years ago but got tired of their crappiness. Moved to T-Mobile and have been pretty happy. As long as Sprint's crappiness doesn't infect T-Mobile then I'm okay with it.

Sprint was ... sprinting towards its demise anyways, and the new company is still smaller than Verizon and AT&T (but hey, expanded network) so it doesn't strike me as a case where competition should suffer much.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
As a Sprint costumer for the last 20 years I am dreading this. I have had amazing coverage, speed, and unlimited data. T-Mobile is garbage around here so I fear this will only have a negative effect.
The point of this is they want to use Sprint's network and customers to grow. They're not gonna drop the places Sprint has coverage. They're using it to build 5G more competitively.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Maybe a few years as Sprint is on a CDMA network and it won't be until their next phone upgrade that the original Sprint customers will be using the GSM towers.

Basically, I think they will keep the Sprint towers up for a few years and then as people gradually upgrade the CDMA towers will be replaced with GSM.

CDMA and GSM are outdated terms that only apply to 3G (and earlier) networks. Both T-Mobile and Sprint operate their 4G networks on LTE and most of the flagship phones sold on Sprint already have the hardware support for T-Mobile's LTE bands as most manufactures release one model in the US.

Sprint customers have already been able to roam on T-Mobile for a while now, it won't be that hard to migrate them over.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Now you know why I'm defensive lol.

T-Mobile is buying Sprint for their spectrum. Let's call it what is is, a buyout, not a merger.

Mike Sievert is the person who is going to be replacing Legere as CEO and he was basically John's right hand man. Mike was just as important to T-Mobile's growth as John was, so I don't see much changing.

If you had someone from Sprint stepping into the CEO position, I'd be worried.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The result of overt corruption and decades of failure by the DOJ and FTC to protect consumers and maintain a competitive market.

Fully expect prices to shoot up for all of the major carriers.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
I hope us Sprint customers get access to T-Mobile plans. I hate my Sprint plan.

Oct 25, 2017
This is win-win for everybody. T-Mobile adds Sprint's spectrum licenses to increase their coverage, particularly in rural areas (so hopefully Verizon will finally have competition in that arena.)

And Sprint customers get to have a company that isn't dogshit.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The result of overt corruption and decades of failure by the DOJ and FTC to protect consumers and maintain a competitive market.

The merger is the result or Sprint bombing hard was the result? Which thing is the result of corruption?

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sievart doesn't fuck things up. I use T-Mobile and it's been great for me. I used to use Verizon but they are so overpriced for a service that isn't much better than TMo, at least here in NY.

Customer service has always been there, they're actually extremely helpful where as I remember struggling trying to get even the smallest of things solved with Verizon.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Metro stays as is. Sprint's prepaid brands (Boost) is being sold of to Dish Network to prop them up as the new 4th national wireless carrier.
I thought Dish was making something more like Metro/Cricket/Boost/Mint though. Not like a replacement for Sprint where they start building towers and buy equipment, just a virtual network that runs on the actual big carrier networks discreetly. So I don't think they are making a "4th big carrier" but rather there will now be 3 big carriers but Dish gets a big helping hand to offer a new virtual brand to compete with metro and such.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong but most Sprint phones sold in the last few years should support T-mobiles LTE bands correct? I am certain at least iPhones and Pixels will, not sure about Samsung Galaxy and other carrier specific phones. LTE bands matter way more than CDMA/GSM in 2020.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Dish was making something more like Metro/Cricket/Boost/Mint though. Not like a replacement for Sprint where they start building towers and buy equipment, just a virtual network that runs on the actual big carrier networks discreetly. So I don't think they are making a "4th big carrier" but rather there will now be 3 big carriers but Dish gets a big helping hand to offer a new virtual brand to compete with metro and such.

No. Dish gets Boost and is supposed to be the 4th big carrier. This is unlikely to every happen as the time needed to build a viable carrier is too short and the big three will almost certainly crush them.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

What would the option have been if they don't merge and Sprint goes out of business? Sprint was 33 billion dollars in debt, they weren't going to survive and they don't have the capital to build their network out like they need to.

We're looking at a situation where Sprint goes out of business, their spectrum goes up for auction, and both Verizon and AT&T, who need spectrum badly for their 5G networks, would snatch it up in a heartbeat, leaving T-Mobile on the outside looking in.

Now, instead of having two behemoths and a straggler, we'll have two behemoths and a third company with enough spectrum to keep them honest.

DISH and T-Mobile have a 7 year agreement that allows DISH to use some of T-Mobile's spectrum and DISH will be acquiring a bunch of Sprint towers. Eventually, DISH will be operating their own network.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The CEO at TMobile has been buttering up Trump by renting rooms in his hotels for over a month filled with executives.

www.theverge.com

T-Mobile admits it spent $195,000 on Trump’s hotel while lobbying for Sprint merger

Executives stayed at Trump’s hotel for at least 52 days
I guess I'm confused. Sprint was collapsing either way. We were going down to 3 carriers no matter what at their poor trajectory and debt. You think T-Mobile shouldn't have fought to merge and we'd have been better off with bankrupt Sprint assets and bands being snatched up by Verizon/AT&T because they have more money? The biggest two getting access to even more power would have been best for keeping the inevitable 3 carriers competing?

I think T-Mobile winning the merger rights was the best outcome after Sprint declined and I can't say I know better than T-Mobile on what options they had to convince government bureaucrats.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this somehow "resets" any switch deal they have? I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile in late 2017 and I remember they asked if I had switched any time in the past 6 years or in something. I guess I wouldn't have been eligible if I had.

I've since switched back to Verizon but wouldn't mind switching back to get a new phone for free...

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
No. Dish gets Boost and is supposed to be the 4th big carrier. This is unlikely to every happen as the time needed to build a viable carrier is too short and the big three will almost certainly crush them.
So they wanted Boost as a temporary fix while they start building new towers and networks of their own nationwide? Boost itself is not a network so I guess that's I'm confused on how one leads to the other.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Correct me if I'm wrong but most Sprint phones sold in the last few years should support T-mobiles LTE bands correct? I am certain at least iPhones and Pixels will, not sure about Samsung Galaxy and other carrier specific phones. LTE bands matter way more than CDMA/GSM in 2020.

Samsung only releases one model for the US market and it's the carrier's respective firmware that determines LTE band support and features. The unlocked models sold by Samsung support all LTE bands.

For example, T-Mobile goes into the firmware and disables all LTE bands that their network doesn't use, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and US Cellular do the same.

That's why you can flash different firmware versions between different models sold. For example, I got my Note 10 from T-Mobile, but I have it running the unlocked firmware.

Oct 25, 2017

You are right. That's how it's going to be for the immediate future, but Dish owns it's own spectrum it bought in the last couple auctions by the FCC. They have been eyeing to get into wireless for a bit. Part of this deal requires T-Mobile to also hand over a small amount of spectrum along with the Sprint Prepaid business. Dish will be an MVNO for the immediate future, WHILE they are standing up their own network.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
What would the option have been if they don't merge and Sprint goes out of business? Sprint was 33 billion dollars in debt, they weren't going to survive and they don't have the capital to build their network out like they need to.

We're looking at a situation where Sprint goes out of business, their spectrum goes up for auction, and both Verizon and AT&T, who need spectrum badly for their 5G networks, would snatch it up in a heartbeat, leaving T-Mobile on the outside looking in.

Now, instead of having two behemoths and a straggler, we'll have two behemoths and a third company with enough spectrum to keep them honest.

Block the merger which would result in them being forced to file for chapter 11. Then break up Verizon and AT&T. Then continue to block all telecom mergers.

You should ask the multiple state attorneys general that are currently working to block the merger what their plan is. What we do know is this merger might not have happened if we didn't have a gutted FTC and corrupt DOJ.

www.wired.com

State Attorneys General Sue to Block T-Mobile/Sprint Merger

Nine states and the District of Columbia say the deal will reduce competition and lead to higher prices for wireless service.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
T-Mobile is buying Sprint for their spectrum. Let's call it what is is, a buyout, not a merger.

Mike Sievert is the person who is going to be replacing Legere as CEO and he was basically John's right hand man. Mike was just as important to T-Mobile's growth as John was, so I don't see much changing.

If you had someone from Sprint stepping into the CEO position, I'd be worried.
Why is Legere leaving? :( His press events were always wild af lmao

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

DISH and T-Mobile have a 7 year agreement that allows DISH to use some of T-Mobile's spectrum and DISH will be acquiring a bunch of Sprint towers. Eventually, DISH will be operating their own network.
Ok I knew about the 7 years but I only heard the part where they'd get to use T-Mobile's network in that time, didn't know they would take some of the Sprint towers to start a whole new carrier someday.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping this makes T-Mobile viable for me. I'm sick of being at the mercy of AT&T and Verizon.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
The point of this is they want to use Sprint's network and customers to grow. They're not gonna drop the places Sprint has coverage. They're using it to build 5G more competitively.
Ya I get all that just fear price increases and data restrictions. I have a sweet thing going hate to see it end is all.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Block the merger which would result in them being forced to file for chapter 11. Then break up Verizon and AT&T. Then continue to block all telecom mergers.

You should ask the multiple state attorneys general that are currently working to block the merger what their plan is. What we do know is this merger might not have happened if we didn't have a gutted FTC and corrupt DOJ.

www.wired.com

Nine states and the District of Columbia say the deal will reduce competition and lead to higher prices for wireless service.

Cool, let's break up all the cell phone providers, now what do you do with the spectrum.

Where does Sprint's spectrum go when they file for Chapter 11? Who gets Verizon's spectrum when you break the company up, the same with AT&T. It's not as simple as saying let's break them all up.

I agree that the FTC and DOJ are fucking corrupt, but this has been an issue going back years, not just under the current administration.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

www.wired.com

This sounds nice and idealistic but I guess I don't know how we know that if they all got magically broken up, things would be cheaper and better when the economy of scale drops. Like... do we really think smaller carriers could be as fast and cheap at building 5G as the major carriers can be now? Do we know that their large base of users and cash are not an advantage at upgrading across a place as massive as the USA?

It's not like break ups have never happened before and led us here

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This sounds nice and idealistic but I guess I don't know how we know that if they all got magically broken up, things would be cheaper and better when the economy of scale drops. Like... do we really think smaller carriers could be as fast and cheap at building 5G as the major carriers can be now? Do we know that their large base of users and cash are not an advantage at upgrading across a place as massive as the USA?

It's not like break ups have never happened before and lead us here

The only way to get something that he wants would be to have each state operate their own network, and they can't since the FCC controls spectrum.

Look at US Cellular as a prime example of what a smaller, more regional carrier would be like. They're mostly in the mid-west and Washington, Oregon and Northern California. Outside of those areas, they roam on Verizon. The only way to get a network to cover the entire country is to be a big corporation, federalize the entire thing or having a fuck ton of roaming agreements.

Tmobile has industry leading customer service, this new bean counter CEO better not fuck things up. Legere was a fucking legend.

Sievert has been John's right hand man for years, I don't think he'll fuck this up. In fact, a lot of the Uncarrier moves have come from him.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017

IMO the ideal solution would have been that all 3 carriers would be forced to pay for Sprint to be competitive. This sounds kind of weird but when you realize there is literally no way a viable competitor can be formed I think it's in the best interest of consumers to make sure there are 4 relatively viable competitors. John Legere cashing in his chips and immediately stepping down once this this went through just strikes me as this deal does not have consumers best interests at heart.

Samsung only releases one model for the US market and it's the carrier's respective firmware that determines LTE band support and features. The unlocked models sold by Samsung support all LTE bands.

For example, T-Mobile goes into the firmware and disables all LTE bands that their network doesn't use, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and US Cellular do the same.

That's why you can flash different firmware versions between different models sold. For example, I got my Note 10 from T-Mobile, but I have it running the unlocked firmware.

So they could probably just release a firmware update to support more bands on the newer Galaxy phones, at least.