• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
How come? 12% isn't a lot of money, especially if the sales in EGS are still low. And they still need to address many issues like... no shopping cart. And if Fortnite slows down, their main source of income will become the Unreal Engine royalties again.

Epic can only afford this because of Fortnite. Without it, no exclusives. Else, they would have tried to do it before Fortnite Battle Royale was released.
Someone please confirm this, but I was told they were charging higher initial fees to get the game in the epic store. In addition, I heard they don't let devs release batches of keys. Can anyone confirm?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
As a gamer who does not currently play on PC, I have a question.

What is the difference between MS and Sony having an exclusive versus Steam or EGS? I guess I'm just trying to understand why EGS is receiving heavy backlash when platform holders have been doing exclusives forever. In my mind, Steam has no more right to ownership on the PC platform than EGS.

If this is the wrong thread for my question, I apologize. I'm not trying to detail any topic, I'm just trying to understand.
The backslash you see with EGS and it's exclusive is the same you saw with microsoft and Tomb raider.
It is not the same as say, bayonetta 2 & 3, because that type of exclusive is not about sony / microsoft /nintendo paying so that a studio doesn't release a game on other platform, it's them financing from the get go the creation of that title.

In one case us customers benefit from that exclusivity in the form of seeing a game made which, for all we know, otherwise wouldn't have been made. In the other we see a game get released on less platform(s) ( or later ) with no benefit for us, just because billion $£€ corporations doesn't want our money spent elsewhere.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If Outerworlds Steam release is bumped up by 6 months, it'll make the sting of having to wait so much more tolerable.
Sadly I am thinking that this CEO just doesn't know what's going on with each specific title.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017

What is the difference between MS and Sony having an exclusive versus Steam or EGS? I guess I'm just trying to understand why EGS is receiving heavy backlash when platform holders have been doing exclusives forever. In my mind, Steam has no more right to ownership on the PC platform than EGS.

If this is the wrong thread for my question, I apologize. I'm not trying to detail any topic, I'm just trying to understand.
Because PC is supposed to be an open platform.
Another example would be if someone decided that it was time to require a paid subscription to play online games on PC too. There'd be a backlash and rightfully so. Just because something is normal on consoles doesn't mean people want it on PC.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Because PC is supposed to be an open platform.
Another example would be if someone decided that it was time to require a paid subscription to play online games on PC too. There'd be a backlash and rightfully so. Just because something is normal on consoles doesn't mean people want it on PC.

I totally get that PC is an open platform. So why is everyone okay with steam conrtolling the marketplace for the better part of a decade?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
The only positive thing I see in this bullshit is that by the time the game hits Steam we can buy a less buggy version.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Someone please confirm this, but I was told they were charging higher initial fees to get the game in the epic store. In addition, I heard they don't let devs release batches of keys. Can anyone confirm?
There are no "initial fees" to launch in any modern game store. The only thing comparable is having to pay for dev kits or such for certain platforms.

How come Valve controls the marketplace? Explain please.
I mean, they absolutely do have a huge amount of soft power over sales of PC games. They gain millions of new users per year and many people consider Steam the store for PC games without considering alternatives. I don't think it's unfair for people to call it a monopoly when you consider the scope compared to other launchers (bearing in mind that monopoly does not necessarily insinuate 100% control, that would be referred to as a pure monopoly).

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Maybe I'm completely off base but I thought the majority of PC gamers use steam?

We do, but that does not prevent us from buying games through various sources, whether it's say GOG or from vendors selling keys cheaper than Steam. We can then activate those games on Steam or add them as 3rd party games, effectively keeping Steam as the primary launcher. While I am annoyed at having to use say uPlay for Ubisoft games, I can still buy those games also on Steam or physical copy.

What Epic does differently is that they have timed exclusives on new games which means the only place to buy is their store.

Steam is very popular, but it is not a monopoly.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
We do, but that does not prevent us from buying games through various sources, whether it's say GOG or from vendors selling keys cheaper than Steam. We can then activate those games on Steam or add them as 3rd party games, effectively keeping Steam as the primary launcher. While I am annoyed at having to use say uPlay for Ubisoft games, I can still buy those games also on Steam or physical copy.

What Epic does differently is that they have timed exclusives on new games which means the only place to buy is their store.

Steam is very popular, but it is not a monopoly.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I currently do not game on PC so I wasn't aware that you can activate keys not bought through steam.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get that PC is an open platform. So why is everyone okay with steam conrtolling the marketplace for the better part of a decade?
The biggest PC games aren't even on Steam. Examples include every Blizzard game like World of Warcraft and Overwatch, every EA game like Battlefield and Fifa, Leauge of Legends, Fortnite, Apex Legends and the list goes on and on.
Steam isn't really controlling the PC market place at all. They encourage people to sell their games on as many stores as possible as opposed to the way Epic are currently doing things. And every game sold outside of the steam store itself net valve 0% and yet there are 0 difference between games bought from steam and games bough from say, amazon.com

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
So what they are saying is that the game has been delayed for 6 months on PC. Well, good to know at least.
Is it now policy to warn or give brief bans to people who sarcastically characterize EGS exclusivity periods as simple delays for games coming to PC? That's a completely unnecessary reaction to an innocuous means of protest and exactly the kind of thing that's driving PC-centric posters away from this forum. Meanwhile stuff like this:
Epic are not slowing down. They're throwing fortnite money at this which will keep coming for years. But if this store starts bringing in good revenue they might start using that money to keep these exclusives coming for a long time.
skates clean by.

Mods, you're not helping.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Don't forget that The Outer Worlds will be day ONE on the Windows Store

images
This got a chuckle out of me.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I've already adjusted to The Outer Worlds (the only EGS moneyhat I actually care about) being a late 2020 release, but it would be nice if it's just a 6 month delay.

I'm just happy I'm no longer as impatient as I was in my 20s.

There are no "initial fees" to launch in any modern game store.
There are no "initial fees" to launch on EGS.

Because it's an exclusively invite-only club. Which at the same time claims to do oh so much for small indies. Lolz.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
More choices by offering fewer choices.

Ok.

Yeah no shit. Got to love the crummy moves these little rat fuckers are pulling. Open platform and freedom of choice is being restrained by these greedy pricks. Oh well, as I said before with the glut of new games coming out all the time it isn't hard to wait out stuff like this...shame to se it happen though.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Great news, I'd already made peace with having to wait until next year to play it but I'm not going to say no to playing it sooner.

Oct 25, 2017

EGS exclusives are less like platform exclusives and more like store exclusives. Imagine if Best Buy paid for full exclusivity (including the digital version) for some big upcoming game and you couldn't even buy it through PSN or the eShop or whatever.

That's coupled with EGS lacking the features of Steam in terms of cloud saves, play time tracking, etc.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they'll cherry pick the most noteworthy games but theres no way they'll keep up the actual games market , theres just far too much for them to moneyhat

and then again, they'll have no idea whats going to be the next hot thing before its actually released.

It's likely some of all of these deals are sales guarantees rather than up front $, and many of those (more, over time, if the EGS succeeds) will cost epic very little or nothing. Fortnite aside, the investment money they got to do this was considerable, and it's reasonable to expect they have a solid, longterm business plan in place assuming EGS doesn't totally bomb.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
No, damn it! If it's only 6 months then Bloodlines 2, Outer Worlds and possibly Cyberpunk are all gonna be playable for me around the same time!

Keep it a year, space out the first person RPG goodness of 2020.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, "choice" by limiting which platforms it releases on. Okay.

How come? 12% isn't a lot of money, especially if the sales in EGS are still low. And they still need to address many issues like... no shopping cart. And if Fortnite slows down, their main source of income will become the Unreal Engine royalties again.

Epic can only afford this because of Fortnite. Without it, no exclusives. Else, they would have tried to do it before Fortnite Battle Royale was released.
Basically this. If the Fortnite money starts to dry up expect fewer moneyhats and that 12% revenue share to steadily climb. But while they have the cash Epic wants to build a new market for its business (and if they're successful, one that's probably going to provide a more steady long term income than a F2P multiplayer game), and thinks it can prove a point to developers: their games will sell without Steam, so why not release exclusively on EGS (without a moneyhat) with a more favourable share of the profit?

Because that's the endgame. The moneyhats are only there so they can brag that games sell well on EGS. Once they can prove it, the moneyhats will stop. In a year or so I'll be interested to see how many publishers are willing to go EGS exclusive without the moneyhats, and how many moneyhats EGS are actually handing out.

Epic never want to actually go toe-to-toe with Steam on the same games because Steam (or any other decent PC games store/client for that fact, such as GOG or Origin or heck, even Uplay) will always trounce them, since EGS has no unique selling point for the customer and Epic doesn't want to invest any cash in creating one.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I dont think Epics plan will be that effective if the exclusives start dropping to six month windows

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018

My issue is that the 12% vs 30% cut means that 3rd party resellers won't be able to discount the game by 20-25% for pre orders, all Epic is doing is threatening that system which provides good discount for pre-orders or on release.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Six months after release is the minimum to wait for an Obsidian game anyway for bugfixing. So no problem for me 🤭

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
My issue is that the 12% vs 30% cut means that 3rd party resellers won't be able to discount the game by 20-25% for pre orders, all Epic is doing is threatening that system which provides good discount for pre-orders or on release.
We are seeing the results of this with borderlands 3 on green man gaming. Since there isn't any discount gmg is resorting to bundling a group of older games.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/borderlands-3-pc

I have no interest in that 10 game bundle as I'd rather have a pre order discount.

The game has been struggling to hit the top 10 best sellers list in the USA so it seems like the lack of discount has hurt gmg pre order sales for this title. Truth by told I don't know if gmg can exist in the future without discount pricing. Discount pricing is their hook.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Epics activities have turned out pretty well for me, where the games are simply a none starter because of Epic's Store, how they've developed it poorly and how continually untrustworthy they have been towards customers.

With the titles that are exclusive that I had interest in, either the decision to not buy was trivial or it opened me up to a competing game that I've subsequently become vastly more interested in.
In both instances, the need to get the original game has been utterly quashed. I suspect the same will be true for both of these games and others that have had a similar process

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I will buy Outer in six months after its initial launch if it still in my mind. Though truth be told, I will probably forget it by then.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
BronsonLee mentioned that Epic will continue doing this for 3-5 years. I do believe him, as long as the Fortnite money well doesn't dry up, which doesn't seem likely any time soon.
I mean that's what he thinks will happen. It's not like he has any inside information or anything.

If it becomes so toxic to associate with an exclusive deal with egs, and considering it doesn't look like almost anyone with any decision making power expected any amount of uproar over any of this, then they won't have anything to buy and they'll end a lot sooner than that. You already have devs saying they'll never take any deal. Not to mention their sales have to be pretty bad, we get zero pr shouting about how high they are.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Cool, will buy it 6mo's from now on Steam when it's release deeply discounted, since it's an 'old game' at that point.

Ah who am I kidding, it's going to be counted as a 'new release'.

Fuck Epic.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe I'm completely off base but I thought the majority of PC gamers use steam?

It is, but there's options. For example, I can buy IL-2 Sturmovik either on Steam, or through the developers website, where I can either get a steam key or download the executable from their store.

There are a ton of smaller publishers that don't use Steam, such as battlefront.com and their Combat Mission series, but that's ok! They develop and publish the game themselves, they're not buying out exclusivity.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds is my second-most anticipated game this year, but Epic Games can fuck off. Their bullshit should never be rewarded. I'll happily wait however long it takes.

There are a few games already on the Epic Games store that I would have bought on release (on Steam or GOG), but I doubt I'll care after a year. The many developers selling their games on Steam and GOG thank you for removing yourselves from the competition.