• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and here is my response:

You also keep mistaking Stella for Luna and still won't acknowledge it. Hint, they are two different characters.
I'm intentionally putting the two together because Luna is based on Stella's concept. Luna's character art is an evolution of Stellas, and her role is an adaptation of Stella's. my wording is intention as the connection between Stella and Luna are as explicit as the stars and moon in the sky. Versus was cancelled, it's script and characters were adapted into 15. pretty much none of the assets were kept (though we can find some evidence of kept assets in things like Noctis's Versus tux)

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
So now that Tabata is out, is there anyone likely to take the helm at Luminous? From the press release earlier this week it sort of sounds like they intend to keep the studio as a going concern but focus on launching a new product.

It does kinda suck, even if they are going to tell what story they meant to eventually, that there never were actual playable females characters in XV. I wonder if they'll make the main character a woman for XVI, which certainly has precedent in FF as recently as, you know, FFXIII.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I'm intentionally putting the two together because Luna is based on Stella's concept. Luna's character art is an evolution of Stellas, and her role is an adaptation of Stella's. my wording is intention as the connection between Stella and Luna are as explicit as the stars and moon in the sky. Versus was cancelled, it's script and characters were adapted into 15. pretty much none of the assets were kept (though we can find some evidence of kept assets in things like Noctis's Versus tux)

They're still trying to appeal to versus fans with the latest trailer.

That confrontational scene between ardyn and regis looks so bad though,compared to the original CG scene.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I feel the whole idea of like, falling in love with characters based entirely on trailers is inherently silly. As an Ace Combat fan I roll my eyes whenever people play up the Erusean Princess as their waifu. She's said like five lines for god's sake.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Agree he did good in that sense

That said the FF XIII and XV need to get off the FF train at the next stop so the franchise can move on

I think it needs a different direction, even regarding the financial success, I think FF can do much better.

Christ its time for FF to move on from FNC world which started in 2006.

Its baffling how DQ did so much better than the last ten years of FF, its made by the same company...

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Didn't like FFXV, but I don't blame Tabata for it. I thought Crisis Core was dope and Type-0 was a nice twist the series needed.

Shame. The Final Fantasy teams are a disaster.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still trying to appeal to versus fans with the latest trailer.

That confrontational scene between ardyn and regis looks so bad though,compared to the original CG scene.
it makes me wonder about the Luna DLC. if the alternate story route pivoted her to be more like Stella. I don't think she needs to physically kick ass to be seen as a better character but a character with more autonomy would have helped a lot

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Now is the time for a throwback mainline Final Fantasy game. Turn-based or ATB, World map or FFX style.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Now is the time for a throwback mainline Final Fantasy game. Turn-based or ATB, World map or FFX style.
I've been saying this for years. Square's FF teams don't know what the fuck they are doing when creating more action based battle systems. I don't know why they threw out the ATB system when they basically perfected it in FFX-2. I mean I hated that game but can still recognise the dress system/ATB as one of the best in the series.

They also need new story writers. They don't need overly complicated narratives in their games. Just give us a likeable cast of characters with clear motivations. DQXI has this and while the story is nothing special at least it's functional.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they threw out the ATB system when they basically perfected it in FFX-2
until they can find a way for ATB to get FF15 numbers, they'll probably stick with real time. FF13 got close, though, so who knows. FF feels like that series that SE used to be "contemporary" and if that means going real time, so be it

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I've been saying this for years. Square's FF teams don't know what the fuck they are doing when creating more action based battle systems. I don't know why they threw out the ATB system when they basically perfected it in FFX-2. I mean I hated that game but can still recognise the dress system/ATB as one of the best in the series.

They also need new story writers. They don't need overly complicated narratives in their games. Just give us a likeable cast of characters with clear motivations. DQXI has this and while the story is nothing special at least it's functional.
Agree x 2 was perfect gameplay for atb

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm honestly most gutted about is the lack of advanced mod tools for PC. The things people could've created :(

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
until they can find a way for ATB to get FF15 numbers, they'll probably stick with real time. FF13 got close, though, so who knows. FF feels like that series that SE used to be "contemporary" and if that means going real time, so be it
If FFXV's janky ass battle system is what we can expect for FFVII-R and future FF games, the series is well and truly dead to me.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

No its not, hence why they are two different characters. Versus had a significantly different script than FFXV.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just nah. DQXI has a simple and childish story. Functional has nothing to do with it. They may as well not try if that's the bar we're setting. Even with the plot and execution in XV being a mess, the story is still way better than that game's. It just needed someone more capable handling it.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Just nah. DQXI has a simple and childish story. Functional has nothing to do with it. They may as well not try if that's the bar we're setting. Even with the plot and execution in XV being a mess, the story is still way better than that game's. It just needed someone more capable handling it.
FFXV's story was an incoherent mess.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXV's story was an incoherent mess.
No, it wasn't. The story was straightforward. A little too straightforward if anything. If that was incoherent, then I don't know what to say to you. It was the plot that was the problem and that came down to the execution, which was obviously hurt by the rushed job in development. Gotta love how y'all make some declarative statements without even knowing the difference between these things.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

FFXV had an incredibly braindead and childish story. It would shock me if you dont see that.

DQXI's is actually a lot more nuanced than XV's story and at least it has humor and charm going for it as well.

Also, everything actually happens and is shown to you on screen when it comes to DQXI.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it wasn't. The story was straightforward. A little too straightforward if anything. If that was incoherent, then I don't know what to say to you. It was the plot that was the problem and that came down to the execution, which was obviously hurt by the rushed job in development. Gotta love how y'all make some declarative statements without even knowing the difference between these things.

What do you think the difference between "story" and "plot" is?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry I should have said plot as that was what I meant. Like Jared, Noctis & Luna romance etc.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I understand this question. The difference is pretty straight forward. Plot is what makes up the structure of the story and consists of trying to effectively tell the story at hand with whatever the key aims are, and it's where XV's failings mostly lie. The story of FFXV is pretty good. And it's the most straightforward it's been since FFV.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI's is actually a lot more nuanced than XV's story and at least it has humor and charm going for it as well.

Also, everything actually happens and is shown to you on screen when it comes to DQXI.
Not only that, it actually has characters who have their own lives and tribulations too and who can function and be real characters without the main char. Even Serena and Veronica who were sworn to serve you are actually characters who can function and live their lives without you. Meanwhile the main cast in XV is nothing without Noctis, they are defined by being Noctis' caretaker, school friend and bodyguard(though gladio actually has his dad and iris but they don't amount to much). Even the paid for DLC didn't make them deeper or better chars able to function without Noctis.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope someone directs a FF that at its core has the characters and story again it's been too long I just want to go on a journey again and fall in love with characters that we see connect.
Yup.

Whether it's scifi/fantasy or just fantasy, I just hope that XVI brings that back so that we can have a likable group that receives a proper story arc that we get to see them build together from the beginning. I also think I wouldn't mind if they have to go on more of a big journey with a lot of discovery or something with a lot of "wonder" like Grandia.

Last edited:

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I feel the whole idea of like, falling in love with characters based entirely on trailers is inherently silly. As an Ace Combat fan I roll my eyes whenever people play up the Erusean Princess as their waifu. She's said like five lines for god's sake.

It's especially funny in this thread as well considering she seems very similar to Luna and most in FFXV threads are still hung up on Stella.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Not to further sidetrack the topic, but I'm 100% of the opinion that DQXI is a better RPG in every sense possible than FF15.

If anyone reading this is on the fence, please consider purchasing it and supporting the developers. It's an extremely polished well executed JRPG with beautiful graphics, colorful characters, twists and turns, and lots to see and do.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
That's unfortunate. I know people were enjoying all of the extra stuff they were adding to FFXV.

They didn't take money for the unreleased stuff, did they?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's especially funny in this thread as well considering she seems very similar to Luna and most in FFXV threads are still hung up on Stella.

If you've been paying attention for all these years, the reason should be clear why people have distinguished Versus from what 15 was, even in regards to the original 15 trailers in 2013.

Stella atleast met noctis and had sparks flying with him from like a 3 minute trailer.

Whereas Luna and Noctis didnt even meet together, yet we were supposed to expect they had some kind of relationship at all. And that's just the relationship aspect alone proving how different the characters are.

On her own Luna is even less a character than Stella was despite her only being in trailers and Luna being in a full length movie and game. Even Stella's potential alone was better than Luna's end result.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I never finished FFXV, but I really wanted to and I adored it. As not a real fan of FF. This sucks. I was happy to seemingly see it continue doing so well.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Lmao. I had to look this up because I didn't know what the guy was on about. This was the first thing that popped up on google.

"A story is a series of events recorded in their chronological order. A plot is a series of events deliberately arranged so as to reveal their dramatic, thematic, and emotional significance."

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Not only that, it actually has characters who have their own lives and tribulations too and who can function and be real characters without the main char. Even Serena and Veronica who were sworn to serve you are actually characters who can function and live their lives without you. Meanwhile the main cast in XV is nothing without Noctis, they are defined by being Noctis' caretaker, school friend and bodyguard(though gladio actually has his dad and iris but they don't amount to much). Even the paid for DLC didn't make them deeper or better chars able to function without Noctis.

DQXI is so incomparably better,thats Its honestly not open for debate or discussion in my mind.

The gap in quality is too massive.

Even graphically, I daresay DQXI is more detailed ,consistent and polished.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
ot to further sidetrack the topic, but I'm 100% of the opinion that DQXI is a better RPG in every sense possible than FF15.

Even as someone who considers DQXI a strong contender for GOTY and who ended up dropping FFXV around chapter 6 for various reasons, I'm not willing to go down this road. I have a lot of love for both, and find that each of them do particular things that make them hard to compare.

But yeah, I second the recommendation. DQXI is fantastic.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Nowadays I feel people are hung up on Stella because I think as a single character she represents what Versus XIII could have been and what's been changed in all the years since we first saw the game. If a person didn't like XV, a person might think those changes were for the worse.

Personally, I fixate on how horribly handled Luna is; all we got of Stella was one scene and snippets and suggestions she'd be a rival and tragic love interest for Noctis, and yeah, that's not much. But they sank so low with Luna that it's hard to believe Stella wouldn't have been better. We'll never know.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nowadays I feel people are hung up on Stella because I think as a single character she represents what Versus XIII could have been and what's been changed in all the years since we first saw the game. If a person didn't like XV, a person might think those changes were for the worse.

Personally, I fixate on how horribly handled Luna is; all we got of Stella was one scene and snippets and suggestions she'd be a rival and tragic love interest for Noctis, and yeah, that's not much. But they sank so low with Luna that it's hard to believe Stella wouldn't have been better. We'll never know.

^ Well said

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
If you've been paying attention for all these years, the reason should be clear why people have distinguished Versus from what 15 was, even in regards to the original 15 trailers in 2013.

Stella atleast met noctis and had sparks flying with him from like a 3 minute trailer. Whereas Luna and Noctis didnt even meet together, yet we were supposed to expect they had some kind of relationship at all. And that's just the relationship aspect. Luna is even less a character than Stella was despite not having seeing anything of her. Even Stella's potential alone was better than Luna's end result.

Given that the leaked Vs13 information indicates that Stella was going to be fridged worse then what happened to Luna having the potential vs actuality conversation feels pointless.

In reality that's all Stella was. She was a dream girl. She was Tidus. A fleeting dream that only existed in the imaginations of those who saw the trailer with no concrete version.

Besides most Stella love is based on the fact that the 3 minute trailer takes very heavy inspiration from one of the best cinematic romantic introductions in the last 25 years ( wow can't believe it's been that long). People fell in love with a digital ghost cosplaying Claire Danes version of Juliet Capulet and projected what they wanted to see.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Given that the leaked Vs13 information.

Speculation from sources not verified about content we'll never see to confirm said speculation is something i don't take seriously enough to entertain.

What i do take seriously is how badly Luna's character turned out, especially relative to the trailers we got. As i said in my previous post, Stella in the trailers, even just being trailers, showed more potential than Luna did in the end result.

Stella actually meets Noctis, actually explains her relevance and her backround in just a few short minutes. Whereas an entire game and a movie goes by and nobody has no idea what Luna's purpose even was. Are we really expected to belive that at the very least, Noctis and Luna meeting in the game and having an actual single conversation was too much to ask for?

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Speculation from sources not verified about content we'll never see to confirm said speculation is something i don't take seriously enough to entertain.

What i do take seriously is how badly Luna's character turned out, especially relative to the trailers we got. As i said in my previous post, Stella in the trailers, even just being trailers, showed more potential than Luna did in the end result.

Stella actually meets Noctis, actually explains her relevance and her backround in just a few short minutes. Whereas an entire game and a movie goes by and nobody has no idea what Luna's purpose even was. Are we really expected to belive that at the very least, Noctis and Luna meeting in the game and having an actual single conversation was too much to ask for?

All i'm saying about those leaks are is that they are as real as anything else related to the character.

But ultimately the introduction was mostly this anyway.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
how true ys that "leak" don't tell me is the /v/ one
Due to a glitch people could exploit in chapter 12 I believe you can load into a small hub world. The leak we are talking about said there was suppose to be a small hub before chapter 13.

There was also some detail about Shiva that the leak got right.

There many be more, ask Koozek

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Given that the leaked Vs13 information indicates that Stella was going to be fridged worse then what happened to Luna having the potential vs actuality conversation feels pointless.

In reality that's all Stella was. She was a dream girl. She was Tidus. A fleeting dream that only existed in the imaginations of those who saw the trailer with no concrete version.

Besides most Stella love is based on the fact that the 3 minute trailer takes very heavy inspiration from one of the best cinematic romantic introductions in the last 25 years ( wow can't believe it's been that long). People fell in love with a digital ghost cosplaying Claire Danes version of Juliet Capulet and projected what they wanted to see.
If you want to talk about projection, Tabata explicitly said in a pre-release article that Luna would be a "stronger and more determined female character." Was it projection for me to believe by those words he meant Luna would have meaningful screentime and be a compelling, fleshed out character? It was clearly wrong of me, and for anyone, to be excited over anything pre-release that ultimately didn't come to fruition, and it was wrong to imagine that Luna would be a strong female character. But I don't think it's wrong for anyone to be disappointed about it. The actual reality of Luna in XV versus the theoretical potential of Stella is a bitter thing for me. I mean, even if Stella didn't exist, I'd still be pretty shocked at how they handled Luna.

And yeah, I'd be just as disappointed if we'd gotten Versus XIII and Stella was fridged. I don't know the credibility of those leaks though, and they don't make Luna any better for me.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
What's with Tabata facebook avatar, is that Cid from Type-0?

Nice to see he has plenty of opportunities.

If his venture doesn't work out, he has luck somewhere else.

Last edited:

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on reddit and thought it was hilarious.

Drit6mWWoAAF4vt.jpg

Happy to hear Tabata-san received support and was getting calls. I don't doubt he will have any issues in finding another place.

P.S All you PC gamers better hope he ends up at a Japanese dev with terrible PC support, because he was the one spearheading strong support for new tech on PC for FFXV. Most other Japanese devs are incompetent or lack interest in this regard.