• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
JP Games, the studio led by Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata, has two new projects in development, each in cooperation with a major company, Tabata told the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu.

The first title has finished pre-production. It is a high-speed RPG described as an experimental game and evolution of Final Fantasy Type-0. Tabata wants to lessen the amount of time it takes to clear an RPG in a single playthrough by condensing the RPG experience and making it playable many times over in multiplayer.

The second title has only just begun. It is a global AAA-scale nomadic RPG described as an evolution of Final Fantasy XV. The goal is to make a large-scale title that incorporates free exploration.

www.gematsu.com

JP Games developing two large-scale titles in cooperation with major companies

JP Games, the studio led by Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata, has two new projects in development, each in cooperation with a major company, Tabata told the latest iā€¦

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I hope xbox is one of the partners, this is a good chance for a new first party japanese game lol

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not the most exciting games to compare too, but hey, might turn out much better when building something from the ground up.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I loved FFXV (even with its flaws) and am excited to see what that second game ends up being like.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Might be better since he doesn't have to build off the junk that Nomura left

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the director of 3rd Birthday and Crisis Core now without Square's talented devs to back up his shit gameplay ideas.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not touching those with a stick

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The first game sounds like a super hard pass. The second may be interesting bc I liked FFXV a lot.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I think in Tabata's mind, FFXV and Type-0 were successful because they sold well (I think)

I think I heard a different sentiment around how everyone felt about FFXV. I thought I remembered them conducting surveys for story that needed to be fixed and the whole chapter 13 thing they went back and fixed amongst a lot of other stuff. FFxv was a mess on release
Editā€”-

yep a messy departure too

www.polygon.com

Final Fantasy 15 character DLC canceled, game director Hajime Tabata quits

Episode Ardyn will be the last FF15 character add-on released

Oct 25, 2017
Nice!! Very interested in this. I've always loved Tabata's passion and efforts. I'll be following those projects closely!

He and his team created one of the most successful Final Fantasy games in history, even after being given a super short development time. It's something I will always admire and respect.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, considering he's trying to build upon two games I didn't like... I guess I won't bother keeping them my radar.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Casually excited, i still believe Tabata got a shit deal with FFXV, got handed over a super ambitious title that was in development hell, lets see what he can do on his own.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Excited and surprised that JP Games is doing AAA. Thought that the Paralympics games and Pegasus World Kit signaled he'd be more interested in smaller games permanently but I guess he just needed a brief respite from large scale games. I loved FF Type-0 so a more refined and streamlined version with co-op that hopefully doesn't require me to grind all the characters individually without any EXP sharing (which made me drop it at a difficulty spike) sounds great!

I also think he gets an unfairly earned bad rep among FF/JRPG fans for the mixed results that was FFXV when he clearly isn't at fault for that games tortured development (which I think translates into the cautious optimism for his next game that builds upon FF Type-0, rather than the pitch). He clearly had to salvage it and given those totally fucked circumstances, it's a fairly good game.

Looking forward to the game that builds upon FFXV's core, nomadic gameplay loop too (at least in the first half of vanilla). I'll always preach about how exploring the world, doing sidequests, setting up camp and tallying up XP/cooking dinner for buffs the next day was such a great experience and by far my favorite part of the game.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, the old "everything wrong with XV is Nomura's fault" thing, even though XV's biggest problems are shared by every Tabata game (particularly the sloppy gameplay mechanics and shit storytelling).

I can't say I'm excited for either of these games but I'm interested to see how they turn out. I'm probably more interested to find out who is funding them though, cause the AAA JRPG genre is so tiny these days.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the company that was working on the Paralympics game? Or is that a different offshoot of SE? Is that still happening?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
It's going to be a long time before we see anything from his studio, but I'm cautiously optimistic. The one thing I did appreciate about Tabatha was his desire to push the envelope when it came to rendering technology, engine development, and just willingness to incorporate cutting edge tech in his games.

From his crying Witch demo that required 4 titans in sli at the time, to pushing for the windows edition of FFXV and allowing the game to incorporate cutting edge features from Nvidia's game works. FFXV incorporated VXAO, Turf Works, Hair Works, Nvidia advanced shadow libraries, and DLSS (unfortunately only 1.0 was available at the time).

I'm curious if he'll be using UE5 at his new studio? It's hard for me to think he would go through with having his team build their own engine from scratch. Especially now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I hope xbox is one of the partners, this is a good chance for a new first party japanese game lol
Tbh, I've kind of been dreading this since he left SE. Going from Sakaguchi embodying your JP push to Tabata is suuuuuch a colossal downgrade to me.

Fingers crossed Takatsugu Nakazawa followed him.

This is a pretty mean-spirited comment from me overall, but I just have not liked anything those two have put out over the course of their careers, outside of finding Crisis Core okay (and with their usual hang-ups being the major negatives)l

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for more tabata. Was wondering what's been happening with his studio. FFXV is a favorite of mine, even with its messy story.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nomura's plan wasn't for the game Tabata made. He tossed out large parts of the original story concept to the point that the final product's story is something almost entirely different, and still not particularly well told given how much it relied on external media for backstory. (And the DLC was building toward an alternate, super-happy ending that the halting of the DLC production cut off.)

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure what to feel about this. On one hand, I think Tabata's a terrible director. On the other hand, we are desperately in need of more AAA JRPGs.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The notion that everything is Nomura's fault still being around is just pure ignorance. The blame lies on SE and not Nomura who got deals the shittiest hand when working on XV. Of all things to complain about Nomura, what happened with FFXV was mostly not his doings

I think in Tabata's mind, FFXV and Type-0 were successful because they sold well (I think)
Ffxv was successful yes. Type 0........lol

Excited to see what he can do in the AAA space again.
As long as he keeps focus on making the game and not a bunch of auxiliary products with it instead of putting those efforts to the game and leaving it with less. Iirc he was pitching a big experience more than he had done with ffxv (movie, anime, etc) before he left and probably was shot down

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Ah yes the director of 3rd Birthday and Crisis Core now without Square's talented devs to back up his shit gameplay ideas.

The 3rd Birthday's problems was its terrible story and writing which were done by Toriyama (FFXII). Gameplay wise 3rd Birthday was a fun action game.

Hey guys, crazy idea. Maybe bad games are not the sole fault of one dev team member?

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017

Not gonna lie you somehow listed the 2/4 which I found mildly survivable, since type0/XV were pain. I liked FFCC but being able to make a portable game seemingly didn't translate anywhere else for him.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I didn't realise people hated Crisis Core all of a sudden? I thought it was well loved by FF7 fans?

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
His projects had some issues, but i still liked them, and i'm excited to see whats he is gonna come up with. Hope Microsoft gets those games.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Crisis Core still amazing for a PSP game back then & even now I still like it.

3rd Birthday, despite the story, have fun gameplay.

I like Tabata's gameplay direction, but both game story above were... Entertaining to say the most, in my opinion. šŸ¤·

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie you somehow listed the 2/4 which I found mildly survivable, since type0/XV were pain. I liked FFCC but being able to make a portable game seemingly didn't translate anywhere else for him.
I really didn't like Crisis Core's slot machine mechanic and the game had some really grindy points like Type 0. Even just the simple action combat were overly stiff with so much movement stuff relegated to the action bar.

I've brought up my dislike of XV enough times that I omitted it lol.

The 3rd Birthday's problems was its terrible story and writing which were done by Toriyama (FFXII). Gameplay wise 3rd Birthday was a fun action game.

Hey guys, crazy idea. Maybe bad games are not the sole fault of one dev team member?

I specifically didn't like the repetitive Overdrive mechanic and the large lean into action from the previous PE games.

It's hard to tell if it was the PSP missing a right stick or just Tabata's design that bothered me with the controls too.