• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I use PDF Expert, but iBooks does more or less the same thing. There's a few annotation options that PDF Expert has that I use for work things, but iBooks will do you fine for running a game (unless you really want to strikethrough text, I suppose)

Multitasking is real easy, you just pull up the other app you want on the side. There are some apps that don't support it yet, but that's mostly just a matter of time, probably.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So weekend before last I played D&D for the first time and really dug it. I'm going to be continuing and would like to have my character sheet on my iPad. What's the best method for this? D&D Beyond looks neat but I'm not sure if I have to pay for things. I think ultimately I just want a pdf of my sheet that I can edit as I get new spells and gear.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
So weekend before last I played D&D for the first time and really dug it. I'm going to be continuing and would like to have my character sheet on my iPad. What's the best method for this? D&D Beyond looks neat but I'm not sure if I have to pay for things. I think ultimately I just want a pdf of my sheet that I can edit as I get new spells and gear.

Look up Fight Club 5e by Lion's Den. Best in class on iOS, last I looked into it nothing else even came close.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Who'd be up for a play by post on the forum?

5th Edition
4 players
Starts and ends at level 12
A dozen crappy house rules
Galorian (Pathfinder) based setting with all sort of weird homebrewed nonsense
I'll try to post every day, if not, every second day (I'm in GMT+11)

Crappy house rules:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UN8Q-siT_EfCqB_Scwwn1fj8VFhu6ZpMrvvw2262udU/edit?usp=sharing

Class changes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16NavijUpy8BSIfoGUlU1PCX7pmFuiXhgaUEhhaCKSb8/edit?usp=sharing

Character creation outline:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ms3npLFiAIT5hz0Hdh_EgCIS1LWxH1sXdzCjvTwCXkw/edit?usp=sharing

You'll be preestablished as movers and shakers in the world and have an important history that will be built in a session 0 before diving into it in a very strange way. Lots of combat, dangerous mysteries and dungeon dives as you revisit your past and come to a conclusion either as heroes who succeed... or as victims who suffer a great tragedy!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As I said previously, I'm new to all this and I've a question. I love gothic horror so even long before getting into D&D I've dug the Ravenloft setting. Now that I'm actually playing I'd like to learn more about the setting, would I get any benefit from getting Curs of Strahd? I know it's for the DM and I'm hoping that's the next campaign we run so I don't want to read all that stuff but is there enough material outside of that that would be interesting or beneficial to me?

Cade

Oct 26, 2017
Nowheresville, MT
As I said previously, I'm new to all this and I've a question. I love gothic horror so even long before getting into D&D I've dug the Ravenloft setting. Now that I'm actually playing I'd like to learn more about the setting, would I get any benefit from getting Curs of Strahd? I know it's for the DM and I'm hoping that's the next campaign we run so I don't want to read all that stuff but is there enough material outside of that that would be interesting or beneficial to me?
Honestly, not really. I've DMed the whole thing and while there's enough information to run the campaign and add a lot of flavor, the rest of it is pretty much DM-focused and reading any of the book would spoil surprises. If I were DMing it all over again, I would explicitly not tell people I was running CoS before they made their characters (yes, I know that this could accidentally cause people to make characters that aren't well-suited for this campaign), because people knowing too much can cause them to build characters that are a little too well-suited. So in my experience, Curse of Strahd would work better going in as blind as possible and making a character who is just as surprised as you are to find themselves in a strange and horrifying world (as opposed to my undead-hunting ranger, half-vampire paladin, and undead-hunting cleric). Though you can tie that into the story as well, of course, which I did, but still.

If you don't end up running Strahd next but still want to learn more about Ravenloft's setting, I would advise picking up some of the older edition books to learn more without spoiling plot beats/charcter stuff from 5E's take.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, not really. I've DMed the whole thing and while there's enough information to run the campaign and add a lot of flavor, the rest of it is pretty much DM-focused and reading any of the book would spoil surprises. If I were DMing it all over again, I would explicitly not tell people I was running CoS before they made their characters (yes, I know that this could accidentally cause people to make characters that aren't well-suited for this campaign), because people knowing too much can cause them to build characters that are a little too well-suited. So in my experience, Curse of Strahd would work better going in as blind as possible and making a character who is just as surprised as you are to find themselves in a strange and horrifying world (as opposed to my undead-hunting ranger, half-vampire paladin, and undead-hunting cleric). Though you can tie that into the story as well, of course, which I did, but still.

If you don't end up running Strahd next but still want to learn more about Ravenloft's setting, I would advise picking up some of the older edition books to learn more without spoiling plot beats/charcter stuff from 5E's take.

Yeah, I definitely want to go in knowing nothing of the plot. And if we do run it we'll continue our characters we're going through the starter set with so I don't think anyone would have anything too well-suited.

Thank you for the info.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
If you're doing Forgotten Realms (Starter Adventure is set in Forgotten Realms) then Curse of Strahd is set within the Shadowfell, which is basically the mirror version of the material plane you're adventuring on at the moment. So, it's easy enough to link it all together.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
If I were DMing it all over again, I would explicitly not tell people I was running CoS before they made their characters (yes, I know that this could accidentally cause people to make characters that aren't well-suited for this campaign), because people knowing too much can cause them to build characters that are a little too well-suited.
That's a perfectly cromulent way to set it up, but just to offer an alternative, if you have a group of players that are likely to buy in, you can involve them early in the process.

In this case the goal isn't to scare them or otherwise go for direct emotional impact; it's to bring them into the storytelling process to create a mood. If it works, the players create characters that are very well suited for the campaign, but not in the sense that they're vampire hunters and such. Rather, they deliberately create characters with vulnerable backgrounds and crippling emotional stakes. Jonathan Harker, for example, begins his story engaged, and why not? He's young, he's moving up in life, and he doesn't suspect any danger in his job. This would be an unusual starting point for a D&D PC; having a noncombatant fiancee with a very real chance of him/her being targeted and killed. It's not something you'd do even in a conventional D&D campaign. A player would only do something like this if they bought into the "mess with me" element of a horror campaign. Bonds are what send you walking back into the abyss you'd just narrowly escaped.
Skill/combat-wise they'd be above their heads by design, but not quite so helpless as to be bored or frustrated. For example, no character would start out with a family val-u-pak of holy water (makes sense if the cleric has a vial, OK, but not nearly enough), but a character can start out with strong investigation skills, like a typical Lovecraftian protagonist, so they at least have a puncher's chance of finding out what's going on before they're picked off. If someone shows up "coincidentally" with a half-vampire undead-hunting ranger/cleric with an entire garlic harvest, rip the sheet up and tell them to start over. For that matter, you can even start them at "level zero"; after all, Harker wasn't a fighter. Getting dragged into a world of horror becomes the motivation to gain class levels in the first place.

To reiterate, this isn't a "better" way to do it; just an alternative. Depends on the group, YMMV.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Wyloch's stuff, yeah. I've been checking some of his stuff since I started playing DMing recently. The cardboard minis from Pathfinder and the handmade stuff that matches it is great, but holy shit is seems like it would be so much extra work... I will try and see how long it would take me to do some.

Right now this is what I have:

These are only a few, and making a batch of 30 or so takes me about 1 hour in until print (ie, searching for images and adding them to Photoshop where I have my presets). I like that at a glance you can find the PCs (blue), friendly NPCs (green), neutral NPCs (grey) and enemy NPCs (red), and I can store a ton of these in very little space, plus I use washers as the base so they have a nice weight....

... however, they are 2D and flat, which in comparison to minis is just so boring.

Living in Japan makes it hard to find minis for this though. Most of the stuff I have seen around are minis sold only in Europe and/or the US.

A little in-thread necro but contrary to you I love your flat tokens. I can see it as being an odd point of view but I like that they remind me I'm playing a game, instead of trying to emulate reality like minis, real or drawn. I like the 'token' look and your color code is a solid idea. What do the numbers mean though ?

In fact, being too a newb D&D player I would really love to be able to do what you do here, but have no idea how. There is the whole "I practically never used Photoshop" for starters, then I have to choose a base that fit a Paizo grid...

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Soliciting feedback for my system. . .

Right now I have a point-based character creation system, where everything from attributes to starting money are determined from build points. This gives immense flexibility but in reading other game reviews there have been complaints that it's too complex; some players prefer speed over customization. I don't plan to ditch the system, but I can certainly enhance it with a fast creation option. The straightforward solution is to convert various point buys into bundurus, but I'm having trouble making up my mind on the execution.

Idea 1: "Modular" system where players can buy blocks of attributes, skills, starting money, etc. of pre-calculated cost. Makes optimizing simpler, but otherwise not much less complex than straight-up point buy.
Idea 2: "Priority" system similar to some Shadowrun editions where the player ranks character priorities and a table coughs up how many points they get for attributes, skills, etc. I don't think this is very popular, though.
Idea 3: "Pre-build" system where I make half-finished templates; all the player does is allocate the ability scores, skill points, money, spells (if applicable). Might be the fastest, but most restrictive.
Idea 4: Three-tier system combining Idea #3 ("simple") with #1 or #2 ("intermediate") and the straight-up point buy ("advanced") method.

One complication is that I allow traits & techniques that have their own cost. There is no "right answer" to how many points are spent on these and it really depends on the character, which in particular messes up the "Priority" system and adds complexity to the "Modular" system to almost not be worth it.

Open to other ideas as well. FYI I still plan to make some archetypes for reference. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
A little in-thread necro but contrary to you I love your flat tokens. I can see it as being an odd point of view but I like that they remind me I'm playing a game, instead of trying to emulate reality like minis, real or drawn. I like the 'token' look and your color code is a solid idea. What do the numbers mean though ?

In fact, being too a newb D&D player I would really love to be able to do what you do here, but have no idea how. There is the whole "I practically never used Photoshop" for starters, then I have to choose a base that fit a Paizo grid...
Hey, thank you!
The numbers are to keep track of enemies, so when a fight starts I can write, for example, Goblin 1, Goblin 2, Goblin 3, etc... and keep their hit points. That way when the tokens move around a lot, I can still keep track of everybody.
If the enemy is unique (named NPCs, etc), they have no numbers.

If you want, I can upload a PSD later today.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, thank you!
The numbers are to keep track of enemies, so when a fight starts I can write, for example, Goblin 1, Goblin 2, Goblin 3, etc... and keep their hit points. That way when the tokens move around a lot, I can still keep track of everybody.
If the enemy is unique (named NPCs, etc), they have no numbers.

If you want, I can upload a PSD later today.
That would be super nice of you. Tonight I spent some hours looking into making something like it and... this rabbit hole goes deep. Between finding a circle hole puncher big enough (quality & durability seems to be a lost cause) and the base on which gluing it...
What are you calling 'washers' btw, English is not my native tongue ?

Cade

Oct 26, 2017
Nowheresville, MT
That's a perfectly cromulent way to set it up, but just to offer an alternative, if you have a group of players that are likely to buy in, you can involve them early in the process.

In this case the goal isn't to scare them or otherwise go for direct emotional impact; it's to bring them into the storytelling process to create a mood. If it works, the players create characters that are very well suited for the campaign, but not in the sense that they're vampire hunters and such. Rather, they deliberately create characters with vulnerable backgrounds and crippling emotional stakes. Jonathan Harker, for example, begins his story engaged, and why not? He's young, he's moving up in life, and he doesn't suspect any danger in his job. This would be an unusual starting point for a D&D PC; having a noncombatant fiancee with a very real chance of him/her being targeted and killed. It's not something you'd do even in a conventional D&D campaign. A player would only do something like this if they bought into the "mess with me" element of a horror campaign. Bonds are what send you walking back into the abyss you'd just narrowly escaped.
Skill/combat-wise they'd be above their heads by design, but not quite so helpless as to be bored or frustrated. For example, no character would start out with a family val-u-pak of holy water (makes sense if the cleric has a vial, OK, but not nearly enough), but a character can start out with strong investigation skills, like a typical Lovecraftian protagonist, so they at least have a puncher's chance of finding out what's going on before they're picked off. If someone shows up "coincidentally" with a half-vampire undead-hunting ranger/cleric with an entire garlic harvest, rip the sheet up and tell them to start over. For that matter, you can even start them at "level zero"; after all, Harker wasn't a fighter. Getting dragged into a world of horror becomes the motivation to gain class levels in the first place.

To reiterate, this isn't a "better" way to do it; just an alternative. Depends on the group, YMMV.
Yeah, that would have been another great way to do it. Some of the characters had family members they would want to get back out and see, but otherwise they were mostly hardened fighters with not a lot to lose. I enjoy it a lot when people create characters with backstories that have some flex and some stakes in them, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/775caq/my_friends_and_i_have_something_called_knife/ Knife Theory.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
That would be super nice of you. Tonight I spent some hours looking into making something like it and... this rabbit hole goes deep. Between finding a circle hole puncher big enough (quality & durability seems to be a lost cause) and the base on which gluing it...
What are you calling 'washers' btw, English is not my native tongue ?
This is what the washer is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(hardware)

Just buy the 25mm size ones (or slightly smaller). You can buy a ton of these for very cheap, and they just have enough weight to not get moved accidentally or anything like that. The larger ones (50mm) are quite heavy but I still use them. Anything more than that, though, I make it with lighter materials.
You can also find a 1" (or 25mm) circle hole puncher at many places I think. I print the tokens on A4 glossy paper (photo paper) and just cut them out, glue them to the washers and it works good enough.

I will upload the PSD tonight (still 3pm here). Wonder what would be a good place to upload it since it's a large-ish PSD file.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Just a thought : are there manufacturers that sell flip mats rolled and not fold up ? I have the Pathfinder Box (folded), and saw that the regular Paizo one is also folded, as is the Chessex one.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Just a thought : are there manufacturers that sell flip mats rolled and not fold up ? I have the Pathfinder Box (folded), and saw that the regular Paizo one is also folded, as is the Chessex one.

1)
The glossy laminated cardboard type are the ones pathfinder makes. It's pretty good and folds easily. They can however become scratched and lose their 'gloss' which results in permanent texta marks across it.

2)
Vinyl mat, quite useful and easy to move around. Very durable. They do have the problem of wrinkling and being uneven surfaces (as shown in the picture) however you can squash them down with some heavy books (like the pathfinder core rules, for example) or lay them out in the hot sun for a few minutes.

3)
Butchers paper, disposable and light weight. You can tape a bunch of it together to have a massive battle map or cut it into shapes and use them as dungeon tiles. The problem is that it isn't lined so you'll have to do that yourself and it degrades over time as you use it.

5N3zFjy.jpg

LXEfAud.jpg

0M1nJza.jpg

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Takes a bit of money to get started but I've always wanted to run a game using Legos. The advantage over miniatures is that obstacles & elevation can be set up & torn down much more easily and cheaply. Downside, not much monster flexibility unless you make 'em yourself.

Anyone given my character creation question a thought?

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
This is what the washer is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(hardware)

Just buy the 25mm size ones (or slightly smaller). You can buy a ton of these for very cheap, and they just have enough weight to not get moved accidentally or anything like that. The larger ones (50mm) are quite heavy but I still use them. Anything more than that, though, I make it with lighter materials.
You can also find a 1" (or 25mm) circle hole puncher at many places I think. I print the tokens on A4 glossy paper (photo paper) and just cut them out, glue them to the washers and it works good enough.

I will upload the PSD tonight (still 3pm here). Wonder what would be a good place to upload it since it's a large-ish PSD file.
Did you choose which place to use for the upload ? Don't confuse my lack of reply for a lack of interest, I just supremely dislike annoying people with requests. And I must admit I didn't think of the size factor of the file at first.
Still very much interested though. I have a brand new color printer ready (needed it anyway), the hole punchers are on the way and depending on the test results I think I have found the tokens to use and even sole pre-glued epoxy for protection.

My DM screen should be arriving today, hooray for a useless overpriced piece of cardboard..... well, ok, I admit it felt odd to not have anything in front of me in my first few games. Without screen and with so much technology at the table these days, tabletop rpg felt a little off. Will have to see if it is useful in practice.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, couple of questions. I haven't played DnD since I was in high school bascially (one or two one off sessions over the years since, but they literally never went past one session). It looks like me and my board gaming friends (in total the group will be at least 4, maybe 5 PC and me as the DM) might be starting a campaign up. Two of them have played DnD recently, two haven't played at all and one has played slightly more frequently than I. Do you think the starter set would be a waste of time? I feel like it could be good to ease the two complete newbies into things, and to help me get reacquainted with everything. But it might just be better to go ahead and buy the new player hand book/DM guide and Monster Manual (also more expensive). Let me know you're opinions! I tend to play a loose version, I've never used maps and minis before while playing, but I feel like this group, coming from a board gaming background, might be more into that. Anything I should look into on that end? Do you just make up the maps yourself, or do you buy pre-made ones? I enjoy painting minis for my board games, so I'm no stranger to that.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think the starter set would be a waste of time?
Probably. These days you can get started by going to SRD sites (just Google "D&D 5E SRD"). I wind up buying the rulebooks for games I want to support, partly to vote with my wallet and partly because using SRDs can be a pain during sessions, though that's just me.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Did you choose which place to use for the upload ? Don't confuse my lack of reply for a lack of interest, I just supremely dislike annoying people with requests. And I must admit I didn't think of the size factor of the file at first.
Still very much interested though. I have a brand new color printer ready (needed it anyway), the hole punchers are on the way and depending on the test results I think I have found the tokens to use and even sole pre-glued epoxy for protection.

My DM screen should be arriving today, hooray for a useless overpriced piece of cardboard..... well, ok, I admit it felt odd to not have anything in front of me in my first few games. Without screen and with so much technology at the table these days, tabletop rpg felt a little off. Will have to see if it is useful in practice.
Hey, didn't find a site yet. Been busier than expected and didn't have much time, but will definitely do it within this week!

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Aha! I was looking for an era D&D thread and instead I find an all-encompassing tabletop RPG thread. Excellent.

I'll just chime in quick before jumping into convos: I've got a great group for a 5e game right now, been DMing for about 12 years and with this new campaign it's become my favorite hobby. There's great stuff happening.

I'm also hoping to make a one-shot session of the Mouse Guard RPG happen soon again as that's a fun system.

Mainly using D&D 5e but I'm also fairly well-versed with D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, Mouse Guard, World of Darkness, and I have minimal experience with D&D 4e, Deadlands, and WEG Star Wars. Still need to try some sessions of Burning Wheel and FF Star Wars.

Oct 25, 2017
My 5e party's on a multiverse spanning adventure (none of them are that big on fantasy), so for their next adventure I messed around with Paint and got this. I'm real excited.

biwSCh7.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The D&D bug has bit me. I've known about the system for a long time, back from when my father introduced me to P&P tabletop gaming. He tried GMing me through a one-shot for Classic Traveller of all things! (I'm a bit surprised there's no Traveller rep in the OP, though it's definitely become more of a footnote next to D&D, Shadowrun, and other more popular games.) Apparently he bought a 5E Player's Handbook a few years ago but couldn't make sessions regularly, so I asked him if I could borrow it for this semester. It's come in handy since another friend told me she got invited to her friends' group, letting me tag along and join after some introduction.

We're just running the Starter Set campaign for now since two of us are new, but I've gotten a classmate to join us hopefully going forward. Tonight we're getting into the main town where I can get into my character more. I'm sticking to paper sheets for this campaign if and until I get Fight Club 5 set up.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Gonna have my first ever attempt at being a GM this weekend. I'll be running the TFA Beginner Game for the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG series. After that, assuming all goes well, I'm hoping to get into the Edge of the Empire series. Bought all the books, gonna be getting a new iPad in the coming weeks, got some scenarios brewing in my head. I've played the game for years as a player, so I'm familiar with the system, but I'm actually a bit nervous.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have my first ever attempt at being a GM this weekend. I'll be running the TFA Beginner Game for the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG series. After that, assuming all goes well, I'm hoping to get into the Edge of the Empire series. Bought all the books, gonna be getting a new iPad in the coming weeks, got some scenarios brewing in my head. I've played the game for years as a player, so I'm familiar with the system, but I'm actually a bit nervous.

ha I've been DM/GMing for 30 years and I still get nervous. Just dont get bogged down. Keep everything moving and if in doubt have someone try to shoot the PCs.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I've been DM for 9 sessions only (starting the 10th next Tuesday) and while I got slightly nervous on the first game, it got worse for the next 3 sessions or so, if only because now I knew all the stuff I needed to be aware of, haha.
Now I'm still nervous, but mainly being worried about what I have planned being good or not. I'm the end the players seem to be having fun and that's the whole point though, so...

Which reminds me, on our 10th session the players finally leave the small village they started at (probably, dunno what they'll do...) so that's going to be a nice way to end the first "season", hehe. After the game, I'd like to write a small synopsis here and see what people think. There was no big dungeon but rather a bunch of small things and RPing around the village, so it was a bit different than what I used to play when I was a player.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been DM for 9 sessions only (starting the 10th next Tuesday) and while I got slightly nervous on the first game, it got worse for the next 3 sessions or so, if only because now I knew all the stuff I needed to be aware of, haha.
Now I'm still nervous, but mainly being worried about what I have planned being good or not. I'm the end the players seem to be having fun and that's the whole point though, so...

Which reminds me, on our 10th session the players finally leave the small village they started at (probably, dunno what they'll do...) so that's going to be a nice way to end the first "season", hehe. After the game, I'd like to write a small synopsis here and see what people think. There was no big dungeon but rather a bunch of small things and RPing around the village, so it was a bit different than what I used to play when I was a player.

Sounds great. A tip I robbed from Chris Perkins was called "Previously on ...." and you start the session in your narrators voice - cheesey as you like - and list out a few point that covers the current story threads and sessions - (cairn of the wither king spoilers):

Previously in Fallcrest - Session 4

• An unusual summer cold spell has turned into a months long snow storm. Crops have failed, the people of Fallcrest and Nentir vale are going hungry. People have begin to get desperate.

• Antions discovered that a similar event had happened two centuries ago, when the winter king had brought a reign of terror on the lands with a preternatural winter, while wearing the Crown of Winter and wielding the Ice Sceptre, gifts from the Arch-fey the Prince of Frost. Before the prince grew weary of the Winter Kings and entombed him in Ice deep in the frostjaw mountains 500 miles to the south.

• Lord Warden Malachy started confiscating merchants provisions, implemented rationing. During a gathering of the townspeople a Dragon headed skyship landed and the head animated saying "Return the ice sceptre to the grasp of the Winter King, or this shall be a forever winter, and the cold and dead shall feast upon the warm and living." and undead ice warriors leapt from the ship and started attacking the villagers.

• You have started investigating where this "Ice Sepctre" could be and believe a recent visitor from the south has brought it with them to Fallcrest.

Its great because it cuts all the messing and get everyone settled.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Sounds great. A tip I robbed from Chris Perkins was called "Previously on ...." and you start the session in your narrators voice - cheesey as you like - and list out a few point that covers the current story threads and sessions - (cairn of the wither king spoilers).
Funnily enough, I started doing that just last game! You got it from the old Chris Perkins articles from the WotC site, right? At least I saw that a few weeks ago and decided to implement it as well.

Yours is sounding quite interesting! How long have you been playing that game?
Earlier in Zhymballa

• You found an artifact at Gravelhair Brother's House, and learnt about another such artifact within the island. Upon reaching its location, though, it was gone, and The Lord seems to be its current owner.
  • Zariel, a Ramman priest in Capital City answered to Nivek by letter telling him about the importance of the artifact you are holding, and you are to meet him two weeks from now.
  • You find yourselves now planning how to enter The Lord's house, with Mergrim, the bard, scheduled to sing at the guest welcoming event inside the house.
I can't say much about anything happening in the future since at least two of the players check this forum, hah.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, since our last Phandelver game was forever ago (a duet, my only possible gaming time) I had to prepare a narrator thing for the next session, but twisted it a little. As it's a duet and I can't characterize my GMPC that much during the game, I opted to have one of them summarize the group situation, in order to add some flavor.

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough, I started doing that just last game! You got it from the old Chris Perkins articles from the WotC site, right? At least I saw that a few weeks ago and decided to implement it as well.

Earlier in Zhymballa

• You found an artifact at Gravelhair Brother's House, and learnt about another such artifact within the island. Upon reaching its location, though, it was gone, and The Lord seems to be its current owner.
  • Zariel, a Ramman priest in Capital City answered to Nivek by letter telling him about the importance of the artifact you are holding, and you are to meet him two weeks from now.
  • You find yourselves now planning how to enter The Lord's house, with Mergrim, the bard, scheduled to sing at the guest welcoming event inside the house.
I can't say much about anything happening in the future since at least two of the players check this forum, hah.

Earlier in Zhymballa

Yup. It's great for cutting out all the messing at the start. My group is all siblings and close friends so there's always loads of joking and catching up, it can be hard to get the to switch gears.

My group loves 4e and I love dming it. Apart from maybe B/X its my favourite edition. this campaign is a a "Best Of 4e", so I started with the Slaying Stone then Reavers of the Harkenwold and now Cairn of the Winter King. All based around Nentir Vale and its environs.

I've two options I'm considering of the end of the Heroic Tier (lv 1-10) either I strand them in the mountains they are about travel too by Skyship and they need to hexcrawl their way home - or whatever - or I do Madness at Gardmore Abbey. I'm leaning towards the Hexcrawl, maybe work in come custom Skill Challenges for getting around and have wandering encounter tables etc. Sounds like it would be a blast. I'm guessing my players might want to trek home to Fallcrest - around 500 miles through rough terrain.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Who wants to play Pathfinder 2 when it comes out? I'd love to screw around and see if it can be broken ala PF1.
even if they absolutely fail at making it any more balanced then pf1 core, without the 10 years of splat there is no way it'll be anywhere near as bad. That said, if my current group isn't up for doing the playtest I would be up for joining you.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
even if they absolutely fail at making it any more balanced then pf1 core, without the 10 years of splat there is no way it'll be anywhere near as bad.
Playing a core campaign is always an option, and better IMO. I want a 2nd edition, though, because I cracked the first one and in that hindsight the optimized brawler core builds are rather limited in variety. So far it doesn't sound like they're changing much tho. I can hope to be wrong but it sounds more like D&D's 1st to 2nd progression than its 2nd to 3rd.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Playing a core campaign is always an option, and better IMO. I want a 2nd edition, though, because I cracked the first one and in that hindsight the optimized brawler core builds are rather limited in variety. So far it doesn't sound like they're changing much tho. I can hope to be wrong but it sounds more like D&D's 1st to 2nd progression than its 2nd to 3rd.
I've been spending far too much time looking for every pf2 leak I can find and it's looking like there's are quite a few changes coming... Of course I started with 3.5(not counting time spent playing bg2) so maybe these changes just look bigger from my somewhat limited perspective. One of the big things they are aiming for is customization, (they mentioned cleric a lot since in pf1 they were super limited in what they could do with archtypes and they hope to change that now) along with ease of play/learning. I'm more worried about the customization aspect, but the info I've scrounged up sounds good so far (the leak about the weapon tag system sounds super intriguing).

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Most of the things I hate about PF are the things I hate about 3.5

but PF has CMB so it's always going to be better.

But even then CMB is just a improvised idea that tries to work with the 3.5 numbers

What I want is 3.5e + 5e

So 8.5e

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the things I hate about PF are the things I hate about 3.5

but PF has CMB so it's always going to be better.

But even then CMB is just a improvised idea that tries to work with the 3.5 numbers

What I want is 3.5e + 5e

So 8.5e
They already talked about how CMB will work in the be game. It's gone. replaced by athletic and acrobatic checks vs the targets save DC. Looked disarming is acrobatics vs reflex DC(not an opposed roll, just to be clear). Probably also worth noting that they are not trying to be 5e(even if some of the new spell rules are similar), which personally for me is a good thing.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I like how flattened out 5e is because it's so easy to remember and improvise the modifiers.

Now the thing that will make or break PF2 for me will be feats.

I swear if I open that phb and the feats section needs is own index I'm throwing it in the bin.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
I like how flattened out 5e is because it's so easy to remember and improvise the modifiers.

Now the thing that will make or break PF2 for me will be feats.

I swear if I open that phb and the feats section needs is own index I'm throwing it in the bin.
Hoo bboooyyyy... Feats are in for a change. From what I understand every customizable class feature, like say, rogue talents are now called [class] feats. You also get skill feats and ancestry feats every couple of levels. I don't even know if generic feats still exist. This likely means how they list feats will also changed though so maybe it won't be that bad?

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
With all the buzz surrounding Pathfinder 2 and me feeling I have missed out on 1, I'm yet again trying to make sense of the system.
So about stat blocks : I can use them as is, if I understood correctly, no natural bonus or something to add ?

And another question regarding multiple attacks. So, if the ennemy does a standard action, he just does one of his attacks, even he has let's say two claws he only makes one claw attack. And if he does a full round action he can go to town with all its attacks, or one of his attack patterns if there is a « or » in the attack list. I think I got this, right ?
But then the only logical question : are Pathfinder monster the deadliest motherfuckers this side of the nine hells ? I mean a starting character only has a small handful of hp and for example I see that a CR1 Ghoul can, if in a bad mood, do 21 damages (+3 1d6+1 and another two +3 1d6+1).
I mean what ?

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Without looking it up a ghoul should only get 2 attacks at most, they only have two claws. They might also have a bite but that attack will have lower attack and str bonus. From what you posted though it should only have the two claws, which will be 14 damage at best which is very unlikely to happen (it course crits could bump then up to 28 damage but that is a unlikely). And with a +3 attack bonus they will probably have a less then 50% chance of hitting anyone with armor or Dex. A fighter or barbarian with some con could even survive the max damage. Really with ghouls the real danger is the paralyze... Better make those saved (or be an elf). Just don't be a wizard with no armor when you get attacked and you will probably be okay.
Edit: whoops! They do have a bite and it's at the same damage as thier claws, which is unusual. Still survivable through and with only 13 hp they should go down quickly. Hopefully you are only fighting one at a time...

Last edited:

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Without looking it up a ghoul should only get 2 attacks at most, they only have two claws. They might also have a bite but that attack will have lower attack and str bonus. From what you posted though it should only have the two claws, which will be 14 damage at best which is very unlikely to happen (it course crits could bump then up to 28 damage but that is a unlikely). And with a +3 attack bonus they will probably have a less then 50% chance of hitting anyone with armor or Dex. A fighter or barbarian with some con could even survive the max damage. Really with ghouls the real danger is the paralyze... Better make those saved (or be an elf). Just don't be a wizard with no armor when you get attacked and you will probably be okay.

Melee line is indeed
bite +3 (1d6+1 plus disease and paralysis) and 2 claws +3 (1d6+1 plus paralysis)
And yeah, that's without talking about disease and paralysis.

I understand that what I described is indeed a worst case scenario and while I'm still reading this big mofo of a book I don't realize yet the probability of the +3, but still, even CR1 seem to be not joke at all. Are we supposed to make a party of 4 paladins in plate mail when dealing with low level monsters ? °_°

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Melee line is indeed
bite +3 (1d6+1 plus disease and paralysis) and 2 claws +3 (1d6+1 plus paralysis)
And yeah, that's without talking about disease and paralysis.

I understand that what I described is indeed a worst case scenario and while I'm still reading this big mofo of a book I don't realize yet the probability of the +3, but still, even CR1 seem to be not joke at all. Are we supposed to make a party of 4 paladins in plate mail when dealing with low level monsters ? °_°
That's good if you just want to kill a ghouls at level 1 forever, but it's not really needed. As I mentioned in my experience above they don't to take a lot to be killed, just be careful. Really at level 1 a ghoul is probably meant to be a threat compared to the cr 1/3 1/4 1/2 creatures you were fighting before, but not a huge one.