• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
That's rad! Do you play online or in person? This sounds like such an awesome weekly campaign, I kinda wish I was a part of it haha. My group weekly game (I play two weeklys - a one on one with my bro and another with a group of eight) is a little more casual and "beer 'n pretzels" sort of D&D with us going through Waterdeep Heist. Your homebrew world sounds fantastic.
We play in person. It's been really great! I've been DMing for nearly 13 years now and currently it's by far the most consistent fun I've had with the game. Thanks for the positive feedback on the world. What I like about it is that it allows them to see the end goal progression of being able to traverse the EverSky without actually being able to do so yet--once their more powerful and they upgrade their airship, then it will happen (probably closer to level 15 and after, if at all.)

Casual gaming can be great fun, but I'll say it's great having such a focused, RP-heavy game. Allows for drama and great stories to come out. At least you have two games going!

I actually just started Waterdeep: Dragon Heist last week! We'll play that about once every three weeks, but one of my players has stepped up to DM so I get to play. Three of us have made gnomes and the fourth is a drow, so I expect many hijinx to come out of the game. :P

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
We play in person. It's been really great! I've been DMing for nearly 13 years now and currently it's by far the most consistent fun I've had with the game. Thanks for the positive feedback on the world. What I like about it is that it allows them to see the end goal progression of being able to traverse the EverSky without actually being able to do so yet--once their more powerful and they upgrade their airship, then it will happen (probably closer to level 15 and after, if at all.)

Casual gaming can be great fun, but I'll say it's great having such a focused, RP-heavy game. Allows for drama and great stories to come out. At least you have two games going!

I actually just started Waterdeep: Dragon Heist last week! We'll play that about once every three weeks, but one of my players has stepped up to DM so I get to play. Three of us have made gnomes and the fourth is a drow, so I expect many hijinx to come out of the game. :P

I actually have three games going at the moment. Two weekly ones - the Dragon Heist one that I play in and the one-on-one that I DM for my brother which is a bit different from normal D&D since it's just us two. (And sometimes it goes biweekly since my bro doesn't always have an hour or two to spare on weekends due to small children.) My third is really roleplay heavy but because of tough schedules we can only meet at most once or twice a month, and it's usually for 6-7 hours at my house, and after DMing for them I always feel kinda wiped out (but satisfied).

Let us know how you like Dragon Heist. I have some mixed feelings towards it though probably it's just because of how our DM runs the game.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So i have been rinning Rise of the Runelords for some coworkers, ones that asked for it, and they love it. One of my other friends said she wanted to try it, but didnt want to play with a bunch of guys and ones she didnt know very well on top of that. So i orginized a group with her and some of her closer friends at work, same canpaign. Half the people went in saying they were going to play the one timejust to troll each other and when we were done everyone was asking when was the next session lol

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So i have been rinning Rise of the Runelords for some coworkers, ones that asked for it, and they love it. One of my other friends said she wanted to try it, but didnt want to play with a bunch of guys and ones she didnt know very well on top of that. So i orginized a group with her and some of her closer friends at work, same canpaign. Half the people went in saying they were going to play the one timejust to troll each other and when we were done everyone was asking when was the next session lol

That's awesome! Rise of the Runelords is the campaign I've run the longest ever. We didn't quite finish it before life got in the way, but got to the fifth act. It has a lot of really fun stuff in it.

Running the haunted house in Act 2 is probably my favorite RPG session I've ever done.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome! Rise of the Runelords is the campaign I've run the longest ever. We didn't quite finish it before life got in the way, but got to the fifth act. It has a lot of really fun stuff in it.

Running the haunted house in Act 2 is probably my favorite RPG session I've ever done.

I can't wait to get to that part. It seems insanely difficult for the players, especially if they don't make those saves. The first campaign are up to just getting to Thistletop now, shit is about to get real lol. If you can remember, what did you do with Eryliums +1 cold iron returning dagger? That seems like an insanely expensive item to give to a bunch of lvl 2 characters.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to get to that part. It seems insanely difficult for the players, especially if they don't make those saves. The first campaign are up to just getting to Thistletop now, shit is about to get real lol. If you can remember, what did you do with Eryliums +1 cold iron returning dagger? That seems like an insanely expensive item to give to a bunch of lvl 2 characters.

I don't remember for sure. After a google to remind me of that situation, I expect I probably let someone use it. My players weren't ever really in the "sell our loot" mode, so it didn't make them way too wealthy all of a sudden. And I usually trend towards letting people use the cool fun stuff.

Alternatively, you could say that since she's a tiny creature her dagger wouldn't really work for normal sized adventurers. And Sandpoint might not have someone in town that could buy it for a fair price.

I was honestly never great at balancing stuff in Pathfinder, and thankfully none of my players got really crazy about min-maxing stuff.

Last edited:

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Pathfinder AP, what is considered to be the top five good ones to run. The reason for it the question is based on my trip to my local store today and saw they had Ironfang Invasion, War for the Crown, and Wrath of the Righteous. I was thinking of picking one of them up but did not know which one.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember for sure. After a google to remind me of that situation, I expect I probably let someone use it. My players weren't ever really in the "sell our loot" mode, so it didn't make them way too wealthy all of a sudden. And I usually trend towards letting people use the cool fun stuff.

Alternatively, you could say that since she's a tiny creature her dagger wouldn't really work for normal sized adventurers. And Sandpoint might not have someone in town that could buy it for a fair price.

I was honestly never great at balancing stuff in Pathfinder, and thankfully none of my players got really crazy about min-maxing stuff.

Yea I don't mind them using it, but one of the players is super gamey about stuff and I am almost certain he will try to sell it. He is the type of player that tries to rationalize that he is constantly casting guidance on everyone in the party at all times so I really have to work to calm him down lol

Speaking of Pathfinder AP, what is considered to be the top five good ones to run. The reason for it the question is based on my trip to my local store today and saw they had Ironfang Invasion, War for the Crown, and Wrath of the Righteous. I was thinking of picking one of them up but did not know which one.

The best probably are the ones that are out of print, Rise of the Runelords and Curse of the Crimson Throne. Both of those were "remastered" basically, released years later as hardcover collections.

Last edited:

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I don't mind them using it, but one of the players is super gamey about stuff and I am almost certain he will try to sell it. He is the type of player that tries to rationalize that he is constantly casting guidance on everyone in the party at all times so I really have to work to calm him down lol

The best probably are the ones that are out of print, Rise of the Runelords and Curse of the Crimson Throne. Both of those were "remastered" basically, released years later as hardcover collections.
Thanks. Are they planning to do any more remasters? Maybe for second edition?

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
I believe you can still get Rise of the Runelords in PDF form, if that would work for you.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
how are the NUMENERA books? humble's got a ton for $15 - i don't know if i'd ever get my friends to run it, but could be fun to read for ideas

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
how are the NUMENERA books? humble's got a ton for $15 - i don't know if i'd ever get my friends to run it, but could be fun to read for ideas

They're cool! Lots of good world info for a very cool overall concept and I like the character building system a lot.

It seems to be a crazy good deal. The fact that the 1 dollar level comes with the new core books (Discovery and Destiny) that just came out pretty recently is kinda wild. *glances at how much I spent on the Kickstarter and grimaces*

Edit: I guess those actually came out six months ago, but that feels recently, lol

Last edited:

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
picked up the humble bundle. These are products that have already sold their initial big sell at full price. The reason this exists is so that people can give the system a try and maybe start buying newer accessories like modules or cards or whatever. One could argue that it has a high opportunity cost, but if they can get people playing with this 2nd edition (or revision?), then they might get them interested in the 3rd edition kickstarter 3-4 years down the line.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Man the 2nd Rise of the Runelords group I have absolutely is loving it. This is the group with all new players and they are all already like completely invested in the story and everything that is happening. So many gasps and cheers when anything happens lol

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
The bard in our city campaign has officially become a mafia Don. She's taken over several business, hired thugs for protection rackets, begun renovating some of the older, crappier structures, and has systematically bought, browbeaten, or butchered anyone who gets in her way. Actually, she hasn't directly caused any deaths yet, she's sent her goons (party members) to do her dirty work.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Now the 2nd Rise of the Runelords group is getting bigger. One more of our coworkers wants to play. They are making my life difficult lol

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone read up and learned Pathfinder 2E? I was curious as to what the main differences were. I don't have time to read it yet, too busy reading all this stuff for my current campaigns lol

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
Changes the way actions work. You have three actions per turn and spread what you want to do through those. Different things take different numbers of actions. Like some spells take one some take all three. Movement is included as an action as well.

Skills are streamlined a bit to have fewer that do more things.

The proficiency bonus goes up a number every level in line with your level. Makes for some pretty ridiculous math at high levels when you're adding 15-20 to every roll.

We played through the first couple modules of the playtest but it started taking too long to generate all the characters and everyone just kinda lost interest in it.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
The proficiency bonus goes up a number every level in line with your level. Makes for some pretty ridiculous math at high levels when you're adding 15-20 to every roll.
So they did exactly what they complained about being a thing in 4e.

It would be funny if it wasn't so completely hypocritical.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Have spent the past few weeks putting together my next campaign arc and was wondering how to go about kicking it off with a bang, and Matt Colville's recent stream reminded me how much I liked Skill Challenges in 4E and realized one would be a perfect fit to start it off.

For reference - the last arc involved the PCs being duped into helping the villain weaken arcane seals all around the Princedom, which warded the land against invasion from other planes. They eventually figured out that they were being duped, and were set to confront the villain, but took a jaunt through the Feywild on their way, and the resulting die roll for time warping caused them to fast forward several months, and fall behind in their race to stop the villain from going through with it.

The arc ended with a portal to the Astral Plane opening in the world by the villain, who turned out to be Githyanki. They pursued the villain into the Astral Plane (or more accurately, they got pulled into the Astral Plane when the portal opened) and finished her off, but the damage has been done and now there is an easy route for the Githyanki and their Red Dragon allies to flood into the Princedom.

The very last moment of the arc was the party plane shifting back to the castle of the Prince (They are too low level to cast the spell, but I made sure they had an NPC with them who could do so) basically straight after the final confrontation.

So I was left with a conundrum - the party is basically worn out from a mechanical perspective (spell slots used, low HP, etc) so if I decided to start off with a big fight, I'd either have to handwave that or they'd be in big trouble, so I've decided instead to do a Skill Challenge.

The party will arrive at the Castle's throne room to see that it's filled with wounded people being tended to by priests and doctors. The doors will swing open shortly after they arrive, and the Prince will come in, being helped to walk by leaning on the shoulder of an armored soldier. He will implore the PCs to help, as the castle and attached city are being attacked by dragon-riding gith. Rather than resolve it as a combat, the scenario is that the attack is a lot of hit-and-run tactics from the Gith, so it's an assault that happens in fits and spurts over the course of an entire night. It will be up to the PCs to come up with creative ways to use their skills to aid in the effort to both fend off the Gith, and to help the people in town escape, barricade, or get treatment for their inujuries.

7 successes needed. 3 failures results in a rout of the city and a fallback to the keep by the army, while the common folk are left to their own defenses. DCs set by how plausible/reasonable the things they come up with are.

I'll give them 2 skills which will definitely work to help the cause - Medicine to treat the wounded, and Survival to help build makeshift barricades and get people to safe places. beyond that, it's up to them to convince me that any of their other skills might be useful. I can think of ways that most of them could be:

Stealth - helping to hide people and important supplies so the Gith can't see them from above on dragonback
Deception - setting up false targets to draw the Gith away from the vulnerable areas
Animal Handling - Rounding up horses who are spooked by the attack and getting them under control for both cavalry use and for civilian mobility
Persuasion/Intimidation - Calming down panicked citizens and soldiers, and getting soldiers back to the front lines as needed
Investigation - Locating wounded people who may be trapped in buildings/under collapsed beams and getting them to safety
Athletics - Removing debris from pathways, physically carrying wounded people to a safe spot, etc.
Perception - spotting incoming strafing attacks early and giving people time to get to cover.
Insight - Guessing where the Gith might attack next and clearing the area of civilians
Nature - Using knowledge of fire and how it spreads to take preventative measures and keep the city from becoming an inferno.

I could go on, but I think this gives the party plenty of options in dealing with the scenario, and plenty of options for narration of all the things they come up with (which will hopefully include some I haven't thought of)

Anyone have any thoughts on how to improve this scenario? Any ways to ratchet up the tension even more?

edit - and now apparently I've been conscripted to run a one-shot in 2 weeks, since the current DM can't play. But I think I've got a good concept - A Dinner party, pitting the players against one another to earn the favor of a noble lord. The lord is a vampire, and will turn the "winning" PC into a vampire if the PCs don't figure out the plot. If they do, it will end up as a showdown against the vampire. I just need to come up with some clues and a handful of fun NPCs to play the party against in this "competition."

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have good games for a one-shot for 6 players + GM or 7 players no GM? I know it's not the ideal number, but everyone unexpectedly was available on Friday, lol.

Right now I'm either on running Numenara or playing Vincent Baker's The King is Dead. I think both should be fine with this many people, but would love to hear other ideas.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have good games for a one-shot for 6 players + GM or 7 players no GM? I know it's not the ideal number, but everyone unexpectedly was available on Friday, lol.

Right now I'm either on running Numenara or playing Vincent Baker's The King is Dead. I think both should be fine with this many people, but would love to hear other ideas.

A DM-less game like Fiasco is great when something unexpected comes up like this. No prep work required, since everything gets made up at the table.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A DM-less game like Fiasco is great when something unexpected comes up like this. No prep work required, since everything gets made up at the table.

I'd run Fiasco, but I think it'd have some challenges with 7 people. If everyone got all their scenes the game would take a pretty long time, and each player would have 4 characters that their character doesn't have any sort of relationship with, instead of the max of 2 unrelated characters you get if you play Fiasco with 5, which is the max suggested number. So it might not be an entangled enough group.

Low prep is for sure what I'm looking for here though. Have also thought of stuff like Microscope, Follow, or even Misspent Youth that all have you do the "prep" as part of the start of the game. I think most of those would be good at six players, but not seven?

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
How do DM-less tabletop RPG games work? Your comment really intrigued me. Are they generally fun?

Fiasco specifically is more cooperative and improvised than something like D&D. There is a general structure, but it's very rules-light. You're generally setting up scenes and acting out what happens during them, and then deciding whether or not what happened in the scene was favorable or unfavorable for the character who initiated the scene.

It's a lot of fun and can be hilarious with the right group of people, but it's nothing like what you'd call a traditional RPG.

I'd run Fiasco, but I think it'd have some challenges with 7 people. If everyone got all their scenes the game would take a pretty long time, and each player would have 4 characters that their character doesn't have any sort of relationship with, instead of the max of 2 unrelated characters you get if you play Fiasco with 5, which is the max suggested number. So it might not be an entangled enough group.

Low prep is for sure what I'm looking for here though. Have also thought of stuff like Microscope, Follow, or even Misspent Youth that all have you do the "prep" as part of the start of the game. I think most of those would be good at six players, but not seven?

I realized after my comment that Fiasco probably wouldn't be great with 7. the game is chaotic enough with 4 or 5. So yeah, you're probably right.

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
Had an incredible session today with my kids and niblings. We are running lost mines of phandelver with a party of five characters with players aging from 7 to 13.

They managed to persuade venomfang to not attack them, stomp through most of the cragmaw castle with a very clever disguise self as a goblin and several high deception rolls. Were even able to convince some hobgoblin guards to take them right to their boss.

Love playing with these kids. Their ideas always through wrenches into my plans but it's sure fun watching them figure it all out.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
Had an incredible session today with my kids and niblings. We are running lost mines of phandelver with a party of five characters with players aging from 7 to 13.

They managed to persuade venomfang to not attack them, stomp through most of the cragmaw castle with a very clever disguise self as a goblin and several high deception rolls. Were even able to convince some hobgoblin guards to take them right to their boss.

Love playing with these kids. Their ideas always through wrenches into my plans but it's sure fun watching them figure it all out.
Yeah. I GM for a group of kids too. It's awesome what they come up with.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Man i was going to pick up curse of crimson throne a couple weeks ago. It was 50 on amazon. Now it is nowhere to be found :-/

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

man thats awesome

cant wait til my daughter isnold enough for this

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

That is awesome.

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
man thats awesome

cant wait til my daughter isnold enough for this
How old is she? Look up a game called Hero Kids. It's designed for ages 4-10. Has a series of adventures that run 30-60 minutes start to finish and the system is very simple and fun. We played that for a year before the kids wanted to do things that were more complex. We go back to it from time to timewhenever a new module is released.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How old is she? Look up a game called Hero Kids. It's designed for ages 4-10. Has a series of adventures that run 30-60 minutes start to finish and the system is very simple and fun. We played that for a year before the kids wanted to do things that were more complex. We go back to it from time to timewhenever a new module is released.

There is also the newer Amazing Tales, which I feel does some things better than Hero Kids.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There is also the newer Amazing Tales, which I feel does some things better than Hero Kids.

Thanks - she is 3 months old haha. I'm really jumping the gun :)

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
A while back I mentioned that I'd wrapped up my first one DM + one PC game with my brother online. Last weekend we finished our second campaign. It was another mystery, but instead of being set in a city and focusing on urban intrigue this time it took place in the countryside. The two private detective characters - Lester LeFoe and Claudia Copperhoof - had to travel to a seemingly dull farming community to investigate a mysterious ghost that kept appearing in the dreams of people who had grown up in the town's old orphanage. (In the homebrew world we're playing in, "normal" ghosts don't exist - instead, people can reunite with dead loved ones in dreams.) Turns out that the ghost was the former orphanage headmistress, and she was trying to warn folks that the new orphanage master was a nasty guy with magical powers who was brainwashing the children and selling them to a group of barbarians in a dangerous prairie territory to the south called the Wild Lands. Lester and Claudia had to go down to the Wild Lands and meet the barbarians - only to discover that they weren't exactly evil (more like a disenfranchised minority at odds with the reigning king) and only needed the kids to power an ancient construct they'd found called the Clockwork Dragon, since their homeland was under attack by a deadly sea serpent and the only thing that could stand up to it was a STEAMPUNK MECH.

Lots of twists and turns, in other words! At the end of the day our heroes saved the kids and made it to level 8. I wrote a long post on my blog describing how I designed the story if anyone's interested. Also put our Roll 20 playthroughs up on YouTube, along with the first campaign we played.

Here's some compiled art/screenshots from the adventure.

DzEobZYXgAIx3xx.jpg

tumblr_pmpz06fJmw1r2pn8uo7_1280.jpg

Our first encounter with the barbarians, on the way south... Didn't go so hot, since we ran into one of 'em who was being chased by a local militia and her rescuers confused us with the militia people. Started a chase sequence where we only got away after my brother fired off an exploding crossbow bolt!

tumblr_pmpz06fJmw1r2pn8uo2_1280.png

Investigating the orphanage with some rival NPCs (one of 'em modeled after Maxi in Soulcalibur, only more obnoxious). We discovered that the orphanage "staff" were actually dopplegangers.

tumblr_pmpz06fJmw1r2pn8uo4_1280.png

Various lore I wrote up for the barbarians...

tumblr_pmpz06fJmw1r2pn8uo6_1280.png

In order to befriend the barbarians we agreed to help them figure out why the owlbears and the griffons of the mountains nearby were fighting and causing a major ruckus. Turns out a bulette was hunting both groups of animals and pitting them against each other. We ended up vanquishing the bulette and adopted a baby griffon...I'm using the rules in the Baby Bestiary to turn it into a cool pet character for us in future campaigns.

tumblr_pmpz06fJmw1r2pn8uo9_1280.png

The final fight, with our characters in the Clockwork Dragon versus the sea serpent. I wanted to mimic a kaiju battle here and gave my bro control over a dragon stat block that let him temporarily use stuff like Legendary Actions and rechargeable breath.

tumblr_pmpz06fJmw1r2pn8uo3_1280.png

Good times overall! Next adventure for the two of us will be in a desert oasis setting because I want an excuse to use efreets.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
It seems strange D&D being hit with an 'abuser scandal', yet here it is - it goes to show it can happen anywhere and everywhere. Mike Mearls is being accused of siding with a sexual, physical and emotional abuser called Zak Smith. Smith was a consultant on D&D 5th Edition, and seemingly hand picked by Mike Mearls. Mearls defended him at the time, even though people stepped forward to speak out against Zak Smith's involvement due to his character.

This is all new to me, as I didn't get into D&D until the backend of 2016. Pretty disheartening stuff, considering I felt like the community was trying to be this all welcoming, inclusive place for people to have a good time and play a game. Yet, at the same time the co-creator for 5th Ed has been defending a total twat, despite all evidence.

And the more you read in to this, the more it seems that Zak Smith isn't the only one, but a lot of 'big named' TTRPG creators are abusers either sexually, physical, emotionally or a combination of all. What the hell.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It seems strange D&D being hit with an 'abuser scandal', yet here it is - it goes to show it can happen anywhere and everywhere. Mike Mearls is being accused of siding with a sexual, physical and emotional abuser called Zak Smith. Smith was a consultant on D&D 5th Edition, and seemingly hand picked by Mike Mearls. Mearls defended him at the time, even though people stepped forward to speak out against Zak Smith's involvement due to his character.

This is all new to me, as I didn't get into D&D until the backend of 2016. Pretty disheartening stuff, considering I felt like the community was trying to be this all welcoming, inclusive place for people to have a good time and play a game. Yet, at the same time the co-creator for 5th Ed has been defending a total twat, despite all evidence.

And the more you read in to this, the more it seems that Zak Smith isn't the only one, but a lot of 'big named' TTRPG creators are abusers either sexually, physical, emotionally or a combination of all. What the hell.

This is just terrible to hear about. I wonder what actions WOTC will take with this news? It seems like we don't get a lot of scandals in the TTRPG circles.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I think the scandal here is that he was known about, it was known about, and there are others like him that everyone knows about, but nothing was being done about it. It's such a small market that anyone in the business actually knows everyone in the business, so it seemed fear of speaking out and blacklisting yourself stopped people from doing so.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I heard about this the other day. Damn, really sucks - with the recent White Wolf scandals and now D&D facing issues it shows that the tabletop hobby has just as many issues to contend with as other parts of nerd culture. Also reveals how small this hobby is. I'm getting the sense that Mike Mearls felt like he knew Zac too well and just disregarded/ignored all of the accusations and now there's some real shit to deal with. Wonder if WOTC's gonna take any action if this continues blowing up.