Tabletop RPG |OT| I cast a spell

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
It has been through milestones, rather than XP. We all knew going in it would be a long term campaign, so leveling would be slower. I wouldn't recommend milestone for a new group, I made that mistake when I first DM'd (my pacing was so off and slow). If you give XP for exploration and social encounters, as well as combat, it should help set a tone that you don't have to kill everything.

Once Lost Mines is finished, you could always create your own progression. Have any of your players created their own quest from in-game events?
Nope. We’ll be starting session 1 this Saturday. None of the players ever tried a ttrpg so with me DMing it will be a new experience for us all.

I was thinking of milestone for my first time. What do you feel was off about it for you? Is XP shared?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. We’ll be starting session 1 this Saturday. None of the players ever tried a ttrpg so with me DMing it will be a new experience for us all.

I was thinking of milestone for my first time. What do you feel was off about it for you? Is XP shared?
XP is divided equally based on the combat encounter. LMOP does a pretty good job on listing any XP right after an encounter so you don't have to manually calculate it, so it eases some of the burden off you. I'm using milestone for my beginner game and it's been fine so far. It takes away the joy of end of session "rewards" and kind of makes it nebulous when you do level up, but it makes it way easier for me.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Had our first proper session using Discord instead of Hangouts and I have to say I'm not happy. Voice was getting cut off all the time and it really made for a bad experince. We had zero issues with sound quality before so I know the problem is on Discord's side.

I loved being able to transmit music through the Rythm bot so I'd really like for this to work.

Any ideas we could try?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Had our first proper session using Discord instead of Hangouts and I have to say I'm not happy. Voice was getting cut off all the time and it really made for a bad experince. We had zero issues with sound quality before so I know the problem is on Discord's side.

I loved being able to transmit music through the Rythm bot so I'd really like for this to work.

Any ideas we could try?
What server are you on? Discord gets pretty dicey if you are on a free server with people from all across the world. If you're all in America or a specific region then I'd try and just pick the closest server, there's really nothing more you can do unfortunately.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
What server are you on? Discord gets pretty dicey if you are on a free server with people from all across the world. If you're all in America or a specific region then I'd try and just pick the closest server, there's really nothing more you can do unfortunately.
We're all pretty close geographically, but yeah, I suspected free server was the issue.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
We're all pretty close geographically, but yeah, I suspected free server was the issue.
If you're all around the same place it should really be no issue, check connectivity and packet loss I guess? I've played with people from Europe and the Americas (I'm in SEA) without issue, but it can get choppy with a bad connection or if you have someone from every timezone and you can't place a good balanced server.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
IME Discord is really bad with voice activation. My group has largely gone full Push to Talk, because Discord drops voice activation way early, even on low target noise levels.