• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Nice! I'm sure you'll have great time too.

Not sure if it's just confirmation bias but it feels like a lot of old farts returning to tabletop (any other non-digital hobbies like miniatures and tcg's) lately. This seems to be the case in my circles at least.
Same here. I'm involved in most of it around my circles, but either way stuff like Warhammer is very popular now, and same with Dungeons and Dragons 5e! Not a bad thing, at all.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Tonight we are going to wrap up the first chapter of our adventure and THERE WILL BE A BOSS BATTLE.

I hope I don't wipe my players. It's hard to balance encounters for three players with one roleplaying a rogue who is not that smart and takes dumb risks all the time, but I have a few tricks in my sleeve I can apply if it looks like things go bad (too soon).

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I hope I don't wipe my players. It's hard to balance encounters for three players with one roleplaying a rogue who is not that smart and takes dumb risks all the time, but I have a few tricks in my sleeve I can apply if it looks like things go bad (too soon).
Don't try to "steer" the encounter if things go "bad". On some level DMing is kind of like a jam session -- with enough skill, "mistakes" are opportunities. Easier said than done, of course, and beyond my own skill level. I have zero creativity, so I can't follow my own advice.

9144.jpg
<-- HYPOCRITE

So I plan contingencies instead. If a TPK is likely then I'd think of a scenario for it. Some of the more trope-y outcomes are the "it was all a dream" do-over, the PCs are taken prisoner, some sort of deus ex machina that spares them at the last second. . . OK these are scraping the bottom of the barrel, but the point is that they're alternatives to TPK being explicitly a bad thing.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
dragonchild yeah, I have a plan how things continue if they do wipe (or not engage in a battle at all), but I was planning on telling them this monster has a broken spear sticking in it (there is a good reason for this in the story) so I have some leeway on just how many hit points this thing has. I want them to have a fighting change at least. So, I will let them wipe if it comes to that, but if it looks like there is no way they can win I might secretly cut down on it's hp a bit.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I would also recommend giving them an opportunity to negotiate or run away. If it looks like it's heading to a TPK, try to put it back on them to make difficult decisions. It can be tough in the moment and it will vary wildly depending on the situation, but even something like reminding them that they've got other options or even being incredibly overt with something like "You look back to the way you came in and think you have a chance to make an escape." can get them to pause and reconsider their plan.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I would also recommend giving them an opportunity to negotiate or run away. If it looks like it's heading to a TPK, try to put it back on them to make difficult decisions. It can be tough in the moment and it will vary wildly depending on the situation, but even something like reminding them that they've got other options or even being incredibly overt with something like "You look back to the way you came in and think you have a chance to make an escape." can get them to pause and reconsider their plan.

If they do try to run, I will allow it for sure. It will end up with a lot of innocent villagers dead but that is something they will have to deal with.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! I'm sure you'll have great time too.

Not sure if it's just confirmation bias but it feels like a lot of old farts returning to tabletop (any other non-digital hobbies like miniatures and tcg's) lately. This seems to be the case in my circles at least.

Ran the session last night, super happy with how it went. It was late for a weeknight - we have kids and some worked late so didn't start until nine on and finished just before midnight. I'm paying for it a little now but everybody had a great time and for a group with basically no experience they all just dove head first into roleplaying. They also dove headfirst into both traps I had planned - darts hooked to a pressure plate and a pond full of treasure that exploded with magical tentacles when the rogue stuck his hand in it.

Next session won't go as late but I wanted them to get a complete adventure for their first time, from picking up the quest in a tavern to fighting goblins and a Bugbear, rescuing the prize heifer (ok and the farmer's daughter), finding a secret room and returning by back to the village to haggle with a farmer that didn't want to pony up the full agreed-on reward. The characters were supposed to be disposable but I have a feeling they all want to stick with them so time to start thinking about what happens next!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
MrLuchador good to know!

chironex that's great!

My session also went well. Turns out my fear of having a too difficult end boss for the first chapter was wrong lol. The actual fight was a little anticlimatic mechanically, but the role playing before and after made for a memorable ending anyway.

We had a short post game discussion and they had all loved it so the story continues!

Wanted to add a great situation where the character, the dice and the player again work together for something memorable.

So, our not-that-smart rogue type is looking for survivors in a partially collapsed tunnel. The player has been rolling horrible perception checks during our last two sessions, but just this time rolls well. Comes across a lone survivor, a small boy clutching a teddy bear in shock.

The player: "I will grab him by the hand and lead him out of the tunnel."
Me: "Go on."
The player: "I will try to sing a comforting song."
Me: "Alright. Roll performance check."
The player: "I rolled a four."
The other players: *chuckles*
Me: "[The other players] see how [player] emerges from the tunnel, singing a rowdy pirate chantey off key with a crying child holding his hand."
The player: *makes a damn pirate chantey about drinking rum, beating monsters and sometimes children too (note: horrible, I know) at the spot and sings it while the rest of us try to keep it together*

These guys, man.

Last edited:

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
While debugging my system in between battles against a home ant infestation, my brain went off on a tangent and simulated stepping on a bug in Pathfinder.

I'm an average schlub with below-average Strength and average Dexterity and zero combat training. So whatever my class is ("bum"?), my base attack bonus is +0. Melee attacks are Strength-based by default so my final modifier is -1.
I see a bug on the ground and try to step on it. This is an Unarmed Attack. Its AC starts at 10, but it has a +8 size modifier. Let's say it's an extremely slow-moving bug (maybe a slug) so -5 Dex modifier; that's as low as it goes for anything alive. Its total AC is 10+8-5 = 13. I need to roll 14 or better to hit it.
I have a 65% chance of missing a slug with a foot stomp.

Game mechanics are weird.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017

Thing is, the surface area of your attack (shoe sole) is far larger than the ant, so it'd be more accurate to classify a shoe stomp as an Area of Effect attack. At this point it's down to the Ant's luck if they survive (some might be saved by a crack or bend in your sole)

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play any of the FFG Star Wars games? Thinking about grabbing Edge of the Empire.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone play any of the FFG Star Wars games? Thinking about grabbing Edge of the Empire.
I've played Edge of the Empire and had a lot of fun with it. We ended up houseruling some stuff with the Force mechanics and a couple other things, but it was a long time ago so I'm not entirely sure about the details.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
While debugging my system in between battles against a home ant infestation, my brain went off on a tangent and simulated stepping on a bug in Pathfinder.

I'm an average schlub with below-average Strength and average Dexterity and zero combat training. So whatever my class is ("bum"?), my base attack bonus is +0. Melee attacks are Strength-based by default so my final modifier is -1.
I see a bug on the ground and try to step on it. This is an Unarmed Attack. Its AC starts at 10, but it has a +8 size modifier. Let's say it's an extremely slow-moving bug (maybe a slug) so -5 Dex modifier; that's as low as it goes for anything alive. Its total AC is 10+8-5 = 13. I need to roll 14 or better to hit it.

Good GM: "Ok, you don't need to roll for that. Splat goes the slug."

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is, the surface area of your attack (shoe sole) is far larger than the ant, so it'd be more accurate to classify a shoe stomp as an Area of Effect attack.
Yeah it was either that or, since a slow-moving bug effectively has no way to dodge, escape, or fight back, it's helpless in its own way so you could execute a coup de grace. In my system you can take combat actions outside combat, so the analogue here would be to take 20 even though it's a melee attack (that's basically what a coup de grace is).

Fortunately for the slug, I'm apparently inflicting non-lethal damage. :P

Last edited:

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've played Edge of the Empire and had a lot of fun with it. We ended up houseruling some stuff with the Force mechanics and a couple other things, but it was a long time ago so I'm not entirely sure about the details.

I bought the beginner box, hoping to get people I know into sci fi RPGs more.

Glad you had a positive experience with it!

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I've mostly focused on Middle Ages through cyberpunk (the genres I played as a yute) but as I mentioned earlier the system-in-progress can (potentially) handle earlier eras all the way back to the Bronze Age. So I decided to shore up my familiarity of early civilizations, but India and China left the Iron Age relatively early (if you're going to use these settings you might as well leverage the extra centuries of written history), and much of Africa and the Americas technically never left the Stone Age until they got colonized. Biblical Rome struck me as intriguing but the problem is that it's so celebrated that there was a lot to go through and I now have too much history on the brain. So I'm struggling to think of a way to leverage this as a potential fictional setting without falling into one of three tired cliches:
  • Big Bad Evil Empire. Not that the Roman Empire was a paragon of freedom & democracy but this metaphor's been done to death. Star Wars, anyone?
  • Bible Games. They're invariably controversial or horrible, if not both.
  • D&D minus the Cool Stuff. Let's take a highly successful game and remove 2-handed swords and plate armor!
One area of potential was the Roman-Gaul conflicts a lovely distance away from both Rome and Calvary, but last campaign I ran in fact took place in borderlands.

Anyone got ideas for how to add a fantastical twist to Europe circa 0AD that thoroughly avoids resembling Life of Brian or Ben-Hur?

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I've mostly focused on Middle Ages through cyberpunk (the genres I played as a yute) but as I mentioned earlier the system-in-progress can (potentially) handle earlier eras all the way back to the Bronze Age. So I decided to shore up my familiarity of early civilizations, but India and China left the Iron Age relatively early (if you're going to use these settings you might as well leverage the extra centuries of written history), and much of Africa and the Americas technically never left the Stone Age until they got colonized. Biblical Rome struck me as intriguing but the problem is that it's so celebrated that there was a lot to go through and I now have too much history on the brain. So I'm struggling to think of a way to leverage this as a potential fictional setting without falling into one of three tired cliches:
  • Big Bad Evil Empire. Not that the Roman Empire was a paragon of freedom & democracy but this metaphor's been done to death. Star Wars, anyone?
  • Bible Games. They're invariably controversial or horrible, if not both.
  • D&D minus the Cool Stuff. Let's take a highly successful game and remove 2-handed swords and plate armor!
One area of potential was the Roman-Gaul conflicts a lovely distance away from both Rome and Calvary, but last campaign I ran in fact took place in borderlands.

Anyone got ideas for how to add a fantastical twist to Europe circa 0AD that thoroughly avoids resembling Life of Brian or Ben-Hur?

I know the Atlantis myth predates 0AD by quite a lot, but maybe that's the first thing that came to my mind. You could add all the fantastical elements you'd want.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I know the Atlantis myth predates 0AD by quite a lot, but maybe that's the first thing that came to my mind. You could add all the fantastical elements you'd want.
The Atlantis myth itself refers to an island that supposedly predates the myth by many centuries but to your point, yeah, this can go however way we want. Thanks!

So that gives me an idea. . . Western Rome collapsed in the 5th century, but say we speed up the timetable by a few centuries. The Huns drove the Germanic tribes into lands they'd largely managed for Rome anyway, so we pretty much know how that went, but let's change this to some existential threat that drove both the Huns and Gauls away from northern Europe and collapsed Rome around 0AD, near the height of its power. Rome allies with the tribes, sends north all the legions it can spare, and loses every one of them. Northern Europe had no written history around this time so anything goes.

Heck you could throw Atlantis in there, maybe it resurfaced for some as-yet-unknown purpose. It could be a source of salvation or yet another problem.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
and by some existential threat you mean the Old Ones, right?
That or a Windows 10 update.

Dunno, didn't think that far. I'd imagine something that propagates, though. It'd be an awful lot of ground for a dragon or such to cover. The Elder Things fit the bill, although it could also be anything from xenomorphs to orcs (or whatever species can be used as an existential threat these days as apparently fictional species now deserve equality). The thought of trans-dimensional humans that strip-mine other worlds also comes to mind. Like, we "solved" the environmental crisis by offloading extraction & pollution to alternate realities, not realizing we bumbled into our own past and are on the verge of erasing our own existence via time paradox.

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Y̶͉̙̩̠̱͟ò̳͇͔̯͉͞ͅư̧̼͇̖̦̠̠̯̜͉̣̖͚͔r̴̷̨̥̣̦̳̀͡ ̳̙͍͖̻̝̱͖̲̬̜͇̥̼͎̠͇͘̕͜͝ͅͅW̸͙̮͎̭͔̯̩̱̣̝̺̯̘̫̕i̢̪̰̻̕ͅn͕̰̹̦̜̘͈̫̖͕̗̬̠͜͝͠d̶̢͕̘̭̠̪̺̙͚͔̕o̶͟͜͏̪͍̭͓͖̞͎̬̪̠̙̥̠̻̝͚͡ͅw̸̶̷̡̨͓̘̮̰̣̜s҉̛̮̺͓͕̱͙͎͔̱̲ ̧̢̼̙͙̜̫͈̱̪̜̫̣̗̼͡1̜̰͎͖̮̯̀͞͡0̢̛͔̳̖͚̹͚́͜ ̝̼̞̠̫̝̳̟̙̪͕̯̩̀u̢͢͏̮̻̤̖̺̙̤͓̖̭̟̲͓̹̀p̧͠҉̝̲̝̩̰͉͉̝̰̘̱̮͙̳͎̠͠ͅd̵͎̜̝̫͙͍͖̣̙̱̱͓̟̕ͅą̴̧͖̻̼̺̮̪͈̱͉̮͟ṯ̵̣̫͖͚e̴̛̥̰͎̰̜͖̭̟̪͟͞͡ ̴̢̧͈̦̰̰̀͝í̀҉̲̺̥͈̠͇͔̤̘̞̱̲ś̩̯͕͍̠̠̰̩̮͎̀͡͡ͅ ̢̢̧̣͚͍̳͉̥͍̻̮̙̜̫̺͝͡ŕ̷̬̙̼̮̟̼̕͢ͅé͕̱͚̻̺̖͚̟̙̳͕a̧̜̲̼͈̻͓͎̙̹̩̜͢͞͠d͘͘͏̞̩͎̟͓̝͖̝͓͖̮ͅy͏̷͙͚̳̪̻͚̮̣̮͔͚͓̖̰̼̬͜ͅͅ.̵̱̠͇̭̗͚̗̲̖͓̟̬̦͇̮̫̠̟̀̀ͅ
̻͇̜͓͚̠̳̖͉̯̼̝̺̮̪͓̻͜͢ͅ
̡̩̫̠̱͟D̴̡̧̹̠̘͙̗̟̤̮͔̤͎̩͔̗̜̲̺͡ờ̛͕͍̭̣̺̪͖͍̼́ ̷̛̘̙̣̥͕͍̭̳̯̯̩ỵ̴̨̛̮͙͍̲̖̜͓͖͘͡o̸̬̣̤̼̪̳͇͓̻̩̟̝͖͙̗͜͝͡͝ú̸̶̷̺͇̥̣̝̠̺͍͙͖͉̺̼̭͈̼͞ ͏̷̙̳̭͈͡w̨͍͎̣̝͎̻̱̜͉̱̳͝͠į̴̛͎̯̥̬͔̰̥͜s͇͈̘͔̳̦͔͔̞̳̝̘͉̗͓̠̞͞ḩ̸̛̹̻͍̼͍̥͕̬̪̮͝ ̧͕̻͚̖͙͖̰͜͡t̲̰̩̺͙̱̻͈͜͞͞͡ò̹̞͉̣̩͍̘̭͝ͅ ̸̶̢͕̘̖̬i̷̸̛͈̻͇̰͚͇̘̰̹̭̻̻͍̺n͏̝̫̞̠̤͍̲̠̮͕̰̳̫͇̦͔̻s̖̰̝̳̱̩̗̼̣̮̣͚̜̮̭̖͈̲̕͡t̷̬̻̣̤̠̥̦̩̞͍̬̳͖̜̣ͅa̵̶̻̥̞̼̖̜̹̜̭̖̘͚̟͕͉̦͕l͎̬̤͕̠̺͍̥̖͉̞͟ͅͅl͡҉̡̩͚̱̰̟̦ ̸̴͎͓͕͖̜͔͓̬̮̭̀ͅn̷̸̶̪̲̭̫̠̜̰̙ơ̹̲̘̼̺̮̟̞̙͡w҉̟͕̦̱͖̲̺̪̫̺̮͉͇̘̭̯̀ͅ?̸̡͉̳͉̼̘͉̻̲͈̹̗͎͕͓͎̞͞ͅ
̶̷̨̡͖̟̱̩̯͖̝̹̖͕̙̫̬̮̼̱̳
̢̨̟̠͎͙͙̕͝Y̵̶͎̫̲̟͚͔̰̮̺͍͈̺̫̯̠͕̦͘͘͢Ḙ̡͇̣̻̼̰͓͖̙͕͎̀͘ͅS̛͙̻͈͕͓̱.̢͔͖͈̞̝̤͙̤̙̱͙̦̟͡ͅ ̷̴̨̠̪̗̜̹̭͈͇̥̦̕ ̵̫̻̻̥̠̱͙̮̦̻̼̳͇͓̻̘̞͔̜̕ ̥͚̟̫͓̺͞ ̖̻͓̪͎͍̭̹̱̕͡ͅ ̴̨̯̦̘͍͢ ̵͍̳̭̪͔̫̦̘͇̜̬̩͉͜ ̨̞̻̖̠̘͚͚̼̲̯͎̳̦̣̣̰̕ ̵̧̧̤̦̗̠͢͡ ̷̢̜̙̤̝͙̘̩̥͝Y̸͍͇̯̻̣̜̖̥̙̰E̴͎̘̞͔͓̲̪̣̞̫̦̪̦͙̤͢Ş̥̗̥̜͔̫̣̰̝͖̜̺͈̝̙̤.̡͔̯̮̖͓̰̀̕͜

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017

Are you sure about the AC starting at 10, though? I think that's what is throwing the calculation off. It seems like there should be some distinction between the starting value based on the creature and the size of its opponent other than the built-in Size Modifier that was designed to keep people from turning Gnomes and Halflings into soccer balls.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I bought the beginner box, hoping to get people I know into sci fi RPGs more.

Glad you had a positive experience with it!

I haven't checked this thread in a while so I'm about a month late, but I love the Star Wars RPG. Mostly because I just love Star Wars, but I also really like the narrative dice system and the way it allows for crazy cinematic stuff to happen at any turn. It's less about the numbers and more about flying by the seat of your pants, which all feels very Star Wars to me.

I played Edge of the Empire as a PC years ago. It was my first tabletop and we played a long campaign for maybe 3 years. Then our GM got burnt out and we moved to D&D, then Cyberpunk, then Torg, and now I'm stepping in to GM Star Wars again. I'm brand new as a GM, but it isn't so bad if you start with the Beginner Game. Our next session is going to be the final act of the Long Arm of the Hutt PDF adventure that's a continuation of the Beginner Game. It's been tons of fun so far.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't checked this thread in a while so I'm about a month late, but I love the Star Wars RPG. Mostly because I just love Star Wars, but I also really like the narrative dice system and the way it allows for crazy cinematic stuff to happen at any turn. It's less about the numbers and more about flying by the seat of your pants, which all feels very Star Wars to me.

I played Edge of the Empire as a PC years ago. It was my first tabletop and we played a long campaign for maybe 3 years. Then our GM got burnt out and we moved to D&D, then Cyberpunk, then Torg, and now I'm stepping in to GM Star Wars again. I'm brand new as a GM, but it isn't so bad if you start with the Beginner Game. Our next session is going to be the final act of the Long Arm of the Hutt PDF adventure that's a continuation of the Beginner Game. It's been tons of fun so far.

That's awesome! I'm excited to run the game, haven't gotten a chance to yet though. It will probably happen on a week my 5e DM is tired and doesn't feel like planning something lol. I should read over the beginner adventure to have a clear grasp of it, then I'll reread a bit more before I actually run it. I love that the system has the narrative aspects I like but also a bit of crunch and customization.

Welcome to the world of GMing! It's super fun, it takes some effort but honestly I love doing it. Feels great when players and myself are having a great time.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

I've been wanting to play this ever since I started playing table top RPG's...last year. I love Star Wars. Lately the urge has been stronger. I have no idea where to start. I have never DM'd in D&D and have only been part of two campaigns.

I decided to suck it up and just get this. I'm excited to read through it but literally having no DM/GM experience I don't know if I'm in over my head.

star_wars.jpg

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
That's awesome! I'm excited to run the game, haven't gotten a chance to yet though. It will probably happen on a week my 5e DM is tired and doesn't feel like planning something lol. I should read over the beginner adventure to have a clear grasp of it, then I'll reread a bit more before I actually run it. I love that the system has the narrative aspects I like but also a bit of crunch and customization.

Welcome to the world of GMing! It's super fun, it takes some effort but honestly I love doing it. Feels great when players and myself are having a great time.

Thanks! Yeah, GMing is a completely new beast for me, but I'm already loving it. My first few sessions have gone very well, one of them a total blast, and all of them have given me lots of stuff to think about and work on and improve on for future sessions. I guess that's about as good as I can expect. Just wish I had more time dedicated to prep.

I've been wanting to play this ever since I started playing table top RPG's...last year. I love Star Wars. Lately the urge has been stronger. I have no idea where to start. I have never DM'd in D&D and have only been part of two campaigns.

I decided to suck it up and just get this. I'm excited to read through it but literally having no DM/GM experience I don't know if I'm in over my head.

star_wars.jpg

That right there and maybe an extra set of dice or two are really all you need! I haven't played the Force and Destiny Beginner, but I've done the Edge of the Empire one and the Force Awakens one and they both did a really, really good job of easing everyone into things. It's a bit railroady for veteran players, but if everyone goes into it thinking it's more or less a tutorial, then I think everyone can have a great time with it.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Thanks! Yeah, GMing is a completely new beast for me, but I'm already loving it. My first few sessions have gone very well, one of them a total blast, and all of them have given me lots of stuff to think about and work on and improve on for future sessions. I guess that's about as good as I can expect. Just wish I had more time dedicated to prep.

That right there and maybe an extra set of dice or two are really all you need! I haven't played the Force and Destiny Beginner, but I've done the Edge of the Empire one and the Force Awakens one and they both did a really, really good job of easing everyone into things. It's a bit railroady for veteran players, but if everyone goes into it thinking it's more or less a tutorial, then I think everyone can have a great time with it.

Hmm I didn't think of that honestly.
I also bought Ghosts of Saltmarsh, Storm Kings Thunder, Tales from the Yawning Portal and the D&D beginners set for Lost Mines. I want to try DMing first with premise stuff to ease myself into it. I'd be teaching some friends who've never tried it before so I'm excited and nervous.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Hmm I didn't think of that honestly.
I also bought Ghosts of Saltmarsh, Storm Kings Thunder, Tales from the Yawning Portal and the D&D beginners set for Lost Mines. I want to try DMing first with premise stuff to ease myself into it. I'd be teaching some friends who've never tried it before so I'm excited and nervous.

Best of luck to you! Being brand new myself I can't really offer much advice, but I'm really enjoying the nervousness. Never in a million years did I ever think I'd GM a game of anything. Never played D&D growing up, and didn't get into TTRPGs of any sort until I was well into my 30s. But now I'm hooked! It's a wonderful creative outlet that I feel like actually need at this point in my life.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Best of luck to you! Being brand new myself I can't really offer much advice, but I'm really enjoying the nervousness. Never in a million years did I ever think I'd GM a game of anything. Never played D&D growing up, and didn't get into TTRPGs of any sort until I was well into my 30s. But now I'm hooked! It's a wonderful creative outlet that I feel like actually need at this point in my life.

same here. I started heavily playing board games and still do. Games like Gloomhaven and Star Wars: Imperial Assault really made me want to try D&D. Imperial Assault especially since the player controlling the Empire acts as sort of a DM. Now that I've been playing two campaigns for over 8 months I've really been wanting to introduce friends I know who aren't comfortable meeting strangers.

And if I host and DM/GM play what I choose. My evil plan.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Awesome! Hope you like it, it's a really awesome system, and I can't wait to run it (I've played a bit online).

The beginner box adventure is designed for new GMs and players so it teaches everyone as you go. Let us know how it goes!

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to dig in! Got everything today

q69NgTc_d.jpg

Heads up for Tales from the Yawning Portal - they are 99% dungeon crawls with little connective tissue between them or in general. Most of them are old school modules that were refreshed for 5E, with the exception of Dead in Thay I believe, and while you could certainly play them all in succession or individually, they don't have as much narrative descriptors as the other books you've picked up. Been running LMOP and SKT the past few months and really enjoying both, although I am dreading the open sandbox nature of SKT once we get there.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Heads up for Tales from the Yawning Portal - they are 99% dungeon crawls with little connective tissue between them or in general. Most of them are old school modules that were refreshed for 5E, with the exception of Dead in Thay I believe, and while you could certainly play them all in succession or individually, they don't have as much narrative descriptors as the other books you've picked up. Been running LMOP and SKT the past few months and really enjoying both, although I am dreading the open sandbox nature of SKT once we get there.

that's what I've heard. I was planning on using stuff from Yawning Portal for Saltmarsh since I'm not comfortable with my own homebrew skills yet but maybe getting through lost mines with some friends will help.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
that's what I've heard. I was planning on using stuff from Yawning Portal for Saltmarsh since I'm not comfortable with my own homebrew skills yet but maybe getting through lost mines with some friends will help.

Yeah I started with homebrew and quickly found it too overwhelming for me, coupled with a group with diverse expectations and it didn't go great. So I'm restarting with published adventures and it's been fun so far. Each book varies greatly in the amount of instructions they give you, going from LMOP to SKT might be jarring but it's definitely a lot easier to build around a mold rather than creating something wholecloth.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to dig in! Got everything today

q69NgTc_d.jpg
if i saw this earlier. i should have tagged you because i randomly stumbled upon https://quarkytoys.com/ and they had a B2G1 and theres some DnD books there. prices are good. i think they are around the same as amazon. i just got my 3 today. (Out of the abyss, tomb of annihilation, and mad mage)
new books and all. maybe have some dings on the corner due to shipping

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
if i saw this earlier. i should have tagged you because i randomly stumbled upon https://quarkytoys.com/ and they had a B2G1 and theres some DnD books there. prices are good. i think they are around the same as amazon. i just got my 3 today. (Out of the abyss, tomb of annihilation, and mad mage)
new books and all. maybe have some dings on the corner due to shipping

Damn, is it over? I'd love dragon heist still among others.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I picked up Fantasy Grounds on Steam to play with my friends. It has been a long ass time and the last RPG I DMed/played was Pathfinder.

So a simple (?) question is at this point, which is more popular/played and especially liked? DnD 5E or whatever is the new flavor of Pathfinder? And can I get the books on Fantasy Grounds? I know I can get the DnD 5E ones.