• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played Numenera before? Might be playing in a campaign soon but I know nothing about the system. A very brief skim through the player's handbook and it looks pretty interesting, and I know a little bit of the setting because I was interested in a kickstarter they did to port it over to 5E.

If you played 5e you'll have no trouble with Numenera, it's a fair bit simpler. The main difference is spending stat pool points, and how skills work.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Look what showed up at my door this morning:

And next to the 1996 edition:

I'm so excited! My absolute favorite RPG experience I had as a teenager was to play The Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign towards the end of the 90s. If I remember correctly, it took us a little bit more than a year to go through.

I don't have a regular group right now, but I would really like to DM this campaign at some point. Maybe someday soon.

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Question for those who are DMs and play online.

Is there a solution you would recommend for background music?

At the moment we are using Google Hangouts for voice chat and everything else is theater of the mind. I've been thinking about using background music but our current setup does not have that functionality besides telling my players to click on that YouTube link for music. And I really don't want YT ads ruining our immersion lol.

Any suggestions?

Static_Void that looks so cool!

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I've had to do several things over the years. The ideal setup involves a separate machine; in my case I use a small dilapidated Vista laptop that I set up for streaming music when it probably should've been recycled ten years ago. Since you're presumably also running chat, doing it all on one machine requires solving all sorts of problems to avoid the music getting directly fed into the chat channel and causing hellacious feedback issues. A second machine ("air-gapping") for the music is the most straightforward solution. The hardware of my streaming machine isn't savvy, to put it mildly, so I literally connect the speaker out to the mic in with a short 3.5mm male-to-male cable. The degradation is noticeable but not distracting.

From there you can use any number of live streaming services, or even its own separate chat account on the same channel (it'll basically be another "voice" except it's just playing music instead). Both have significant limitations, however. Live streams typically use a buffer of about 15-30 seconds, which is an eternity in conversations, so the BGM will have to be more ambient than reactive no matter how hard you try to anticipate. Streaming services can have other requirements that make them tricky for such a specialized use case. Chat is much faster so you can be much more situational, at the cost of degraded audio quality -- it's compressed in a way to transmit voices economically, and the occasional clipping or distortion is considered acceptable.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017

At the moment we are using Google Hangouts for voice chat and everything else is theater of the mind. I've been thinking about using background music but our current setup does not have that functionality besides telling my players to click on that YouTube link for music. And I really don't want YT ads ruining our immersion lol.

Any suggestions?

Take a look at Syrinscape.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the advice!

dragonchild I appriciate the McGyverness on your setup.

ParityBit I installed Syrinscape once, but seems like it would only play stuff locally, so I would need to go through the same hoops dragonchild told about, no?

Guess I'll need to look into this more. I'm pretty sure just having a ambient background would be enough for now, but I only have one computer to use, and it is one I cannot install anything, so whatever I pick has to be web based unfortunately.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

Any suggestions?

Remember google hangouts shuts down in October. Maybe Fantasy Grounds or Roll20?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice!

dragonchild I appriciate the McGyverness on your setup.

ParityBit I installed Syrinscape once, but seems like it would only play stuff locally, so I would need to go through the same hoops dragonchild told about, no?

Guess I'll need to look into this more. I'm pretty sure just having a ambient background would be enough for now, but I only have one computer to use, and it is one I cannot install anything, so whatever I pick has to be web based unfortunately.

I am just learning about it, so I am not sure yet. I do however use Fantasy Ground and it aw some (DnD 5E and PF2)

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I didn't realize Hangouts is shutting down.

Better have a talk with the group then. We're only using voice, so there should be options thankfully.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

nBnbY7B.jpg

F4q686P.jpg

ByFGUOT.jpg

I'm so excited! My absolute favorite RPG experience I had as a teenager was to play The Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign towards the end of the 90s. If I remember correctly, it took us a little bit more than a year to go through.

I don't have a regular group right now, but I would really like to DM this campaign at some point. Maybe someday soon.

That's awesome! I'd love to run/play some of the huge Call of Cthulhu adventures someday.

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

nBnbY7B.jpg

F4q686P.jpg

ByFGUOT.jpg

Wow gratz! They look like they came into the world with love.

I really need to play Cthulhu once with a great Keeper. Love the genre and have some of the books but never got to play.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
So, my kids (9 and 11) played a D&D session with my friend's kids and they've been itching to play ever since. We were finally able to track down the Target exclusive (til September) D&D Essentials Kit. These were going for a small premium online, but they seemed to have been restocked at some Targets. Seems to be quite a deal at $25.
2019-08-10.jpg

I did my best to DM the included adventure (Dragon of Icespire Peak) and I feel like I did relatively well, but they almost got their butts handed to them against the lone monster (a Mimic) in their first quest. I kind of guided them into a circle strafe around the enemy but the encounter took about 2 hours... I feel like we were doing something wrong (or at least I was). I am watching a YT vid and the guy is mentioning that many pre-made adventures aren't exactly balanced for smaller parties, so I think maybe I'll just do a percentage cut on the monster stats of the next encounters so they have a better time.
Any other online resources suggested for first time DMs? Even a suggested YT channel might help. I hope this hasn't been asked on every other page, I'll scrounge around the previous pages...

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
bought gloomhaven for my brother and i even though we've never played any tabletop board game before
i tried the digital gloomhaven on steam for a bit to learn the system, this shit's complicated huh :<

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't realize Hangouts is shutting down.

Better have a talk with the group then. We're only using voice, so there should be options thankfully.

If you switch over to Discord, I've been using Rythm bot for my music needs since Roll20 lost Fanburst support. It's not perfect, and you'll want to tell your players to turn the volume down to 1-3% before playing anything, but it works well enough for a free product.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
If you switch over to Discord, I've been using Rythm bot for my music needs since Roll20 lost Fanburst support. It's not perfect, and you'll want to tell your players to turn the volume down to 1-3% before playing anything, but it works well enough for a free product.

Thanks! I'll give this one a go!

How does the bot manage with YT ads?

Cade

Oct 26, 2017
Nowheresville, MT
Rythm is what I use, too. I usually just have a hidden channel that I type commands in so people won't know what song is about to be playing, but I believe the web interface is pretty nice too.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever used it as a player, but roll20.net has a music player that our DM used. Seemed to work well, but I'm guessing you have to use your own music and it's probably limited.

I think this might be misinformation?

They used to have soundcloud and then switched to fanburst, but both options are now gone. They have a selection of music from Tabletop Audio and Incompetech which is handy, and they just allowed users to upload their own music, but it is still under the file size limitations of before, so pretty unrealistic for a free user to use it along with any maps/tokens they have. One day I'll subscribe as Pro user and get everything I want!

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Just wanted to post this here as it looks pretty exciting, the guys behind Dungeonfog.com have a new Kickstarter for a world building application that combines the dungeon / battle map creator functionality of Dungeonfog with a world building tool called Project Deios

As someone who has followed the development of both LegendKeeper and Wonderdraft from the beginning, this seems to offer the functionality of both of those plus more.

The only problem I have with it is that gamergater shitheel and all around trash human being Denis Dyack seems to have wormed it's way into this project ...

Still, I wanted to let everyone here know, as it still seems pretty interesting and I haven't seen it posted.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
They used to have soundcloud and then switched to fanburst, but both options are now gone. They have a selection of music from Tabletop Audio and Incompetech which is handy, and they just allowed users to upload their own music, but it is still under the file size limitations of before, so pretty unrealistic for a free user to use it along with any maps/tokens they have. One day I'll subscribe as Pro user and get everything I want!
Ah, good to know. Thanks!

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Humble Dark Heresy Bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...ex_2_c_warhammerdarkheresycubicle7_bookbundle

Also, anyone know any good free mapmaking tools ?

World map, or like battle maps?

I've used Inkarnate's free version before moving to Wonderdraft, which is a one-time fee. They have similar functions but I like Wonderdraft a lot more and with the ability to freely import assets I can get a lot of community-made assets in for nothing, which is great. Dungeon-wise I've used Dungeon Painter Studio which has a free version and a paid one on steam with workshop support.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ran a nice Dungeon World one shot game here in the office using the "One Shot World" hack of it (playbooks here). It streamlines the DW playbooks a bit more, takes out stuff you won't really need outside of a campaign, adds some more actionable character drive stuff to generate XP quickly. Overall was really nice for getting a game going fast. Once we had those characters setup, I ran a one-shot adventure from the Sly Flourish's Fantastic Adventures book, and just converted the monsters on the fly to DW monsters. It worked really well, required not a ton of prep from me, and everyone had a great time.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
World map, or like battle maps?

I've used Inkarnate's free version before moving to Wonderdraft, which is a one-time fee. They have similar functions but I like Wonderdraft a lot more and with the ability to freely import assets I can get a lot of community-made assets in for nothing, which is great. Dungeon-wise I've used Dungeon Painter Studio which has a free version and a paid one on steam with workshop support.

World map yeah, I'll check those out, thank you!

I'm done with Roll20 as a DM, still in a few games as a player. Not a fan of the general feel of Roll20 and its creators.

I personally find the site pretty clunky, though I haven't tried the alternatives. I've done some games just on discord which has been fine (theater of the mind).

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to run a D&D 5e game set in Ravnica and I'm hoping to use TTS instead of Roll20. We've been doing an FFG Star Wars game on Roll20 and using it is horribly clunky.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I have been using Fantasy Grounds for 5e/PF2 and I absolutely love it. I can't wait for the Unity client.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
I've used roll20 enough that it's intuitive to me, but yeah some of the options feel clunky at a first pass. Considered moving to fantasy grounds, but it feels even clunkier than roll20 to me for some reason (possibly because it's mostly visual instead of formulas). Only done D&D 5e and Delta Green though, so maybe other systems have specifics that I don't see.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I like discord, maybe try Fantasy Grounds at some point. There's also Astral and some other virtual website one I can't remember.

Tabletop Simulator is supposed to be decent once you've set it all up.

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
My kids are almost done lost mines. What should we play next? I think they want to keep their characters.

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
My kids are almost done lost mines. What should we play next? I think they want to keep their characters.
What level are they now? The encounters in the new Essentials Kit are set around Phandelin so you could grab that.

Full adventure included called Dragon of Icespire Peak and tons of infoabout Phadelin including poster map.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to see people take their characters from one adventure to the next. I know Dungeon of the Mad Mage is a 5-20 adventure.

How do people do it for other adventures and homebrew?

I think it's pretty common, you just continue the story where you left off, write a bit for how one adventure leads to the next.

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
Hmm.. they might like Dungeon of the Mad Mage. It's more of a crawl than story right? The other adventure books I currently have are Sword Coast, Tomb of A and Saltmarsh.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
How do people do it for other adventures and homebrew?

The game I've been a player in for nearly 2 years has had a great DM that has somehow managed to link the modules together in an interesting manner. We've went from Tyranny of Dragons into Escape from the Abyss, still using the same characters. It is possible, but takes a lot of work cutting and rearranging content from the modules. It has made for a really great 'living' campaign/Sword Coast game.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
The game I've been a player in for nearly 2 years has had a great DM that has somehow managed to link the modules together in an interesting manner. We've went from Tyranny of Dragons into Escape from the Abyss, still using the same characters. It is possible, but takes a lot of work cutting and rearranging content from the modules. It has made for a really great 'living' campaign/Sword Coast game.

How has leveling been for you guys? I'll be running Lost Mines for some friends who have no experience at all with ttrpg's but assuming they like it, I'd like to take continue with the same characters. I'm pretty much learning as I go myself.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Played my first game of Monster of the Week on Sunday and it was pretty fun! I played out of the Monstrous Playbook: Thaddeus Rex, a T-Rex who had been experimented on by aliens before the meteor hit. He can shapeshift into a bald human, and is functionally Immortal (both Monstrous Moves). Probably a little zanier than the game intended, but he fit right into the rest of the group and everyone had fun. I think we're going to keep going with the game, so Thaddeus will get a little more normalized as we go on.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
New D&D book for Eberron has been announced. I've read about Eberron and Greyhawk. I am loving this description!

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron—a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of floating castles, skyscrapers, and more.
  • Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and noirish intrigue and a crossroads for the world's war-ravaged peoples.
  • Include a campaign for characters venturing into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.
  • Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer—the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player's Handbook.
  • Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron—a background for your whole party.
  • Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player's Handbook.
  • Confront horrific monsters born from the world's devastating wars.

9780786966899_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg

Alternate cover is awesome.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not normally big on Eberron, but I'll be grabbing that Alt cover. I just flat out do not like the normal cover. It looks bad.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
How has leveling been for you guys? I'll be running Lost Mines for some friends who have no experience at all with ttrpg's but assuming they like it, I'd like to take continue with the same characters. I'm pretty much learning as I go myself.

It has been through milestones, rather than XP. We all knew going in it would be a long term campaign, so leveling would be slower. I wouldn't recommend milestone for a new group, I made that mistake when I first DM'd (my pacing was so off and slow). If you give XP for exploration and social encounters, as well as combat, it should help set a tone that you don't have to kill everything.

Once Lost Mines is finished, you could always create your own progression. Have any of your players created their own quest from in-game events?