• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
It has been through milestones, rather than XP. We all knew going in it would be a long term campaign, so leveling would be slower. I wouldn't recommend milestone for a new group, I made that mistake when I first DM'd (my pacing was so off and slow). If you give XP for exploration and social encounters, as well as combat, it should help set a tone that you don't have to kill everything.

Once Lost Mines is finished, you could always create your own progression. Have any of your players created their own quest from in-game events?

Nope. We'll be starting session 1 this Saturday. None of the players ever tried a ttrpg so with me DMing it will be a new experience for us all.

I was thinking of milestone for my first time. What do you feel was off about it for you? Is XP shared?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. We'll be starting session 1 this Saturday. None of the players ever tried a ttrpg so with me DMing it will be a new experience for us all.

I was thinking of milestone for my first time. What do you feel was off about it for you? Is XP shared?

XP is divided equally based on the combat encounter. LMOP does a pretty good job on listing any XP right after an encounter so you don't have to manually calculate it, so it eases some of the burden off you. I'm using milestone for my beginner game and it's been fine so far. It takes away the joy of end of session "rewards" and kind of makes it nebulous when you do level up, but it makes it way easier for me.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Had our first proper session using Discord instead of Hangouts and I have to say I'm not happy. Voice was getting cut off all the time and it really made for a bad experince. We had zero issues with sound quality before so I know the problem is on Discord's side.

I loved being able to transmit music through the Rythm bot so I'd really like for this to work.

Any ideas we could try?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Had our first proper session using Discord instead of Hangouts and I have to say I'm not happy. Voice was getting cut off all the time and it really made for a bad experince. We had zero issues with sound quality before so I know the problem is on Discord's side.

I loved being able to transmit music through the Rythm bot so I'd really like for this to work.

Any ideas we could try?

What server are you on? Discord gets pretty dicey if you are on a free server with people from all across the world. If you're all in America or a specific region then I'd try and just pick the closest server, there's really nothing more you can do unfortunately.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
What server are you on? Discord gets pretty dicey if you are on a free server with people from all across the world. If you're all in America or a specific region then I'd try and just pick the closest server, there's really nothing more you can do unfortunately.

We're all pretty close geographically, but yeah, I suspected free server was the issue.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
We're all pretty close geographically, but yeah, I suspected free server was the issue.

If you're all around the same place it should really be no issue, check connectivity and packet loss I guess? I've played with people from Europe and the Americas (I'm in SEA) without issue, but it can get choppy with a bad connection or if you have someone from every timezone and you can't place a good balanced server.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
IME Discord is really bad with voice activation. My group has largely gone full Push to Talk, because Discord drops voice activation way early, even on low target noise levels.

Casualmom

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. Was wondering if there is any sort of discord server or looking for group for resetera tabletop games? Figured I'd ask here first before I wander off into the internet looking for a group.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a bunch of books I want to get rid of (Duplicates) and I do not want to just dump them in the trash, although I will.

What should I do with them? Any advice?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I have Pathfinder 1e Core and players handbook, DnD 2e PHB (x5) , DMGs (x2), ADnD Oriental Adventures (x2), MM, MMII (x2), Legends and Lore. Plus box sets for Forgotten Realms, Star Trek Start ship Tactical combat and the Role Playing Game.

All pretty good shape

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
I have Pathfinder 1e Core and players handbook, DnD 2e PHB (x5) , DMGs (x2), ADnD Oriental Adventures (x2), MM, MMII (x2), Legends and Lore. Plus box sets for Forgotten Realms, Star Trek Start ship Tactical combat and the Role Playing Game.

All pretty good shape

I'd be willing to give a good home to the classic AD&D stuff. Don't really need multiple copies, but I have a big gaming basement with shelf space. Shoot me a PM.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
FYI, if there are any Numenéra fans around, there's a Kickstarter currently running to finance new sourcebooks. Or even if you're not a fan yet, there's tier to get the starter kit, and you can add the core books as an add-on as well. Monte Cook Games' kickstarters always end up reaching a bunch of stretch goals that add additional books and goodies, so it can be really good value if you get a tier that includes all the unlockables.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, quick question.

I'm trying to create a custom magic weapon for a friend of mine, he's going through a bit of a hard time and I want to make our next D&D session a little special for him.

He's a dual wielding bloodhunter and the party is currently level 4 (close to level 5).

The idea I had is this:

+1 magic sword that on a bonus action can split into two smaller swords. When combined into one, it can do some kind of special attack once per long rest. Also, since he's a bloodhunter, I'm thinking if he's dual wielding and powers up both swords, then combines the sword, both power ups are added to the single sword attacks.

Does this sound like too much? Otherwise, any suggestions on the special attack?

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
+1 magic sword that on a bonus action can split into two smaller swords. When combined into one, it can do some kind of special attack once per long rest. Also, since he's a bloodhunter, I'm thinking if he's dual wielding and powers up both swords, then combines the sword, both power ups are added to the single sword attacks.
Not that my career is gospel but in my experience, the real emotional impact of a magical weapon is its significance. In combat terms, it needs to be a difference-maker.

Your idea isn't a waste, but it's hard for me to visualize because you haven't quantified the abilities. And there's the rub -- what it does is going to matter more than how it goes about it. Get the "some kind of special attack" bit sorted out and then check back with us? Otherwise, without the details on how it's going to erase a guy, the sword splitting/combining is just a gimmick.
D&D5's concept of weapon styles is rather simplistic and inflexible, so I anticipate the player will stick to one form, like dual wielding, and simply forget the other form exists. Making powers dependent on the less favored form to force the issue is likely to just make it annoying, the player preferring to fight one way and being forced to do something else. I don't have a clever solution here, sorry.

Last edited:

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, quick question.

I'm trying to create a custom magic weapon for a friend of mine, he's going through a bit of a hard time and I want to make our next D&D session a little special for him.

He's a dual wielding bloodhunter and the party is currently level 4 (close to level 5).

The idea I had is this:

Does this sound like too much? Otherwise, any suggestions on the special attack?

Without knowing the Special Ability, it's just a +1 sword that becomes two +1 (I'm presuming) swords, which is cool enough if he doesn't already have a magic weapon, since it's basically two for the price of one.

I'd recommend that the special ability not require combining it into a single weapon to use, since he's established as a dual-wielding character. Instead, I'd reinforce its usefulness in a roleplaying fashion. Perhaps the law in the next town/country they come to states that people can only carry a single weapon in public. This will allow him to sneakily carry around two weapons without getting the extra one confiscated.

As for the special ability itself, I think having it being able to cast a spell once per long rest is always a simple bonus that doesn't get too imbalanced. Thematically, Mirror Image fits the bill. Since he's a melee Blood Hunter, he probably also has a tendency to get beat up a lot, so the spell could really help him out.

Another thematic option would be to also allow him to gain the ability of a Cloak of Displacement, but that may be a bit too strong at level 4-5. If required a minute to reset the displacement after a hit instead of a turn, the balance is a bit better.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I was also concerned about forcing the single sword functionality if he is all dual wield, but I think I came up with an interesting concept despite that:

Since he is a blood hunter and needs to use health to power up, some sort of healing capability on the blade might be interesting. I was thinking the weapon could somehow build up stacks of d4's, by either landing a single hit in one blade mode, or by hitting with both weapons in a single turn in dual wield. He can build up to his WIS mod +1 stacks this way. Then he can unleash an attack once per long rest that allows him to use these extra d4's either as damage or as healing during the attack.

The question is, should I lock this attack behind 1 handed mode, or let him do it in either mode, and alternatively, is it too powerful?

Aside from that, I actually do like the Mirror Image concept.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017

I was also concerned about forcing the single sword functionality if he is all dual wield, but I think I came up with an interesting concept despite that:

Since he is a blood hunter and needs to use health to power up, some sort of healing capability on the blade might be interesting. I was thinking the weapon could somehow build up stacks of d4's, by either landing a single hit in one blade mode, or by hitting with both weapons in a single turn in dual wield. He can build up to his WIS mod +1 stacks this way. Then he can unleash an attack once per long rest that allows him to use these extra d4's either as damage or as healing during the attack.

The question is, should I lock this attack behind 1 handed mode, or let him do it in either mode, and alternatively, is it too powerful?

That's definitely very thematic for a Blood Hunter. When I personally design stuff like this I try to avoid too many technicalities to go with the book-keeping, so I wouldn't worry about the one-handed/landing two hits too much. The balancing mechanism here seems to be the charges + the once/day limitation on use, and that should be enough. Each d4 is going to average out to 2.5 damage, so you could also just have it store HP in it. 2HP or 3HP per charge is easy and will speed up the game when the charges get spent since he won't have to dig out a bunch of D4s that he never uses.

Also, when designing a "signature" item like this for a character, I also like to design it in such a way that it can grow with the character. Perhaps tying the charge maximum to the Character's level or proficiency bonus would allow it to do so better than WIS. I'm not sure how high level you're expecting this campaign to go, but if it gets over level 10, allowing him to do a quest to unlock further abilities in the weapon, or just role-playing out a scene where he truly becomes one with the weapon could allow it to stay competitive when other people in the party start getting +2 weapons and beyond.

Keep in mind though that when you give out a signature item like this, a lot of times the other players at the table will want one too. So once you finish this one and get it out there, be ready to start brainstorming on how to introduce the next one for another character.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
I've been tasked with setting up a backup campaign in one of my groups for nights when people can't show up. I've run a few options by my group, and a Shadowrun Campaign concept was chosen. I've decided to use the Savage Worlds of Shadowrun fan mod, but I've never actually run Savage Worlds before (though I have read through the rules a few times.)

Are there any resources out there for enemy/monster types which are appropriate for this mod? I see quite a few sci-fi settings/guides out there, but I'm not sure which ones would have foes that translate well. If I had more experience in the system I'd be OK with totally just creating enemies wholesale, but since I've never run it before I'd like some setting-appropriate mooks.

And also, if anyone is interested, here is the campaign pitch I sent my players which won:

Setting: Northern Virginia 2071

Northern Virginia has been a literal and figurative battleground for the past XX years since the Awakening and Crash . The UCAS/CAS split has been especially hard on the region. The locals were in favor of staying part of the UCAS, but the state decided to join the CAS against their wishes. Locals, backed by UCAS funding, took to the streets and civil war erupted on Christmas 2059 - just before the split was to become legally binding.

Things were going poorly for the locals during the early months of 2060, but their efforts were buoyed by other UCAS friendly folk within the CAS joining their cause as part of a slow trickle of reinforcements over the last 6 months of 2060. These new additions were slowly countered by CAS sympathizers coming south from the UCAS over the course of 2061. The war had reached equilibrium, with neither side gaining much ground. Bull Run slowly became the primary battle line between the two sides, with all land northeast held tenuously by UCAS forces, while all to the southwest was CAS ground.

This all changed in 2063 when The Pawtamac, Algonkian and Mohawk (PAM) alliance claimed the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding region as their own. They had slowly been amassing forces of both those of native American blood, along with many Orc and Troll refugees fleeing the oppression they faced all over the eastern seaboard.

Initially, the UCAS forces saw this as a boon, as the PAM forces primarily battled with CAS militia in WV and western VA. But the tides turned once again when the Elven Conclave of Tir Pindartha started making claims to land in Eastern Ohio, along with Western Pennsylvania and New York state, which had been largely vacated by CAS separatists moving south. They made an accord with the PAM alliance with the goal of driving out all interlopers from the Mid Atlantic forest regions.

By 2067, The battle lines had shifted south almost all the way to Richmond, and west well into the Appalachians as Tir Pindarthan forces pushed their way south through the forests of western VA. The PAM, feeling forced out of the lands they had claimed struck back, buoyed by a new alliance with the newly-created Dwarven nation of Grol Appalachia. UCAS sympathizers in Fairfax County had largely backed out of the conflict altogether by this point, believing that the well-developed tech corridor would be unattractive to the PAM, Tir Pindarthan and Grol Appalachia factions. This confidence was short-lived.

Grol Appalachia fought fiercely, determined to not have the lands above their mountain abodes ruled by Elves, and the Elves, seeing the vast expanses of non-mountainous forests available, signed a treaty in 2068 agreeing to leave the mountains south of the Mason-Dixon line to Dwarven leadership. The PAM, worried that their alliance with the Elves was about to become a liability, put in place a plan to unleash magical terror on the Eastern Seaboard. Their plan was twofold. First, they wanted to dissuade the Elves from encroaching further into the Virginia forests. Second, they looked to the developed lands of Fairfax County, and hatched a plan to return it to wilderness. Little did they know that Tir Pindarthan leadership was also intending the same thing with the Fairfax Tech corridor, and their attacks launched almost simultaneously in the Spring of 2069.

Magical energy ripped up roads and infrastructure in Manassas, Centreville, and Chantilly, foliage grew up through parking lots and high-rise structures. For the first month, both sides were shocked that their attacks seemed to be so much more effective than initially anticipated, until each started to receive reports that the other was participating in the same cause despite no intentional coordination being done by either faction.

These attacks also caught the attention of the CAS, UCAS and Grol Appalachians. The CAS were furious that land they considered to be theirs was under magical attack by two factions. The UCAS were upset that their allies in Northern Virginia were being assaulted again after what had seemed like a cease fire in the conflict, and Grol Appalachia had become economic allies with the Northern Virginians, buying their technology to increase mining production, and selling the resultant mined material to them in return. They were loath to see this alliance lost due to the land being returned to wild.

And now, here in the Winter of 2070 we find ourselves, and a new faction seems to be emerging: The NoVa Assembly. It has gained the support of several major corporations operating in the region who are tired of being pulled in every direction at the whims of others. They see a different future for Northern Virginia: Independence. They have also found unexpected allies in their independence movement – the citizens of Washington DC who have also been seeking independence.

Nobody is quite sure who is the mastermind behind this new alliance, but rumors are swirling in the underground. This is the world into which the campaign begins. Which factions will come out on top? Which will be destroyed? Which will you side with?

The UCAS?
The CAS?
The PAM?
Tir Pindartha?
Grol Appalachia?
The NoVa Assembly?

Or somebody else entirely?

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Again, this is the kind of check on game imbalance that the player is likely to find annoying -- dangle something cool, then make it conditional to avoid making it too powerful.

An alternative is to make the power situational, such as making the weapon's key abilities effective against only a certain type of enemy. Thing could be doing +10d10 damage per hit against, say, dragons, but that imbalance would be strictly limited to when Smaug's in town. As DM you control the situational nature of the weapon, and the situations, so you can make the weapon legit powerful and still easily keep it from getting out of control. Granted you wouldn't want to hand out such a power and then avoid dragons entirely, that's just trolling. The key is to make the situational nature largely out of the PC's control, so the player doesn't get preoccupied with finding ways to activate a frustratingly inconvenient godmode.

(Edit: Removed some examples that in hindsight were too much on the "conditional" side as opposed to "situational")

Last edited:

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

That's definitely very thematic for a Blood Hunter. When I personally design stuff like this I try to avoid too many technicalities to go with the book-keeping, so I wouldn't worry about the one-handed/landing two hits too much. The balancing mechanism here seems to be the charges + the once/day limitation on use, and that should be enough. Each d4 is going to average out to 2.5 damage, so you could also just have it store HP in it. 2HP or 3HP per charge is easy and will speed up the game when the charges get spent since he won't have to dig out a bunch of D4s that he never uses.

Also, when designing a "signature" item like this for a character, I also like to design it in such a way that it can grow with the character. Perhaps tying the charge maximum to the Character's level or proficiency bonus would allow it to do so better than WIS. I'm not sure how high level you're expecting this campaign to go, but if it gets over level 10, allowing him to do a quest to unlock further abilities in the weapon, or just role-playing out a scene where he truly becomes one with the weapon could allow it to stay competitive when other people in the party start getting +2 weapons and beyond.

Keep in mind though that when you give out a signature item like this, a lot of times the other players at the table will want one too. So once you finish this one and get it out there, be ready to start brainstorming on how to introduce the next one for another character.

I like the idea of this weapon and Brashnir's take.

Something like the sword "stores" a flat 2 or 3hp per hit, with a cap of maybe half the characters full HP. When that cap is reached the sword is "charged" and has additional offensive capability. That could be something like an extra d__ damage die upon activation. Once per day like the heal, so it's a choice. Or maybe something passive like an extra +1 or 2 to hit the entire time it's charged, so it rewards when the player is doing well during combat while still having the heal option as a trade off if they get into a tough spot.

There's lots of cool possibilities with that weapon concept. Great idea Robotzombie!

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Couple of questions for the people who like creating their worlds/cities such.

I'm currently running Lost Mines so I won't building a city but I'm very very interested in this kickstarter for City Builder: Platinum Edition. Any thoughts from people who've read it or own it?

And at the end, the PC's can get a cut of the profits and two of the players have thought about having a keep or stronghold or whatever out of character. Anyone ever used

Strongholds & Followers?

Last edited:

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone interested in the remainding of the stuff I am trying to get rid of?

Pathfinder 1e Core Rulebook (Mint)
DnD 3E PHB
DnD 2e 4 PHB (2 mint), DMG, Monsterous Compendium Kara-Tur (Mint)
ADnD Oriental Adventures
Forgotten Realms Campaign Box set (original)
Star Trek The Role Playing Game box set (2004)
Star Trek Tactical Combat Sim box set (2003)

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of questions for the people who like creating their worlds/cities such.

I'm currently running Lost Mines so I won't be it but I'm very very interested in this kickstarter for City Builder: Platinum Edition. Any thoughts from people who've read it or own it?

And at the end, the PC's can get a cut of the profits and two of the players have thought about having a keep or stronghold or whatever out of character. Anyone ever used

Strongholds & Followers?

Don't have any opinion on City Builder, but I do own a copy of Strongholds and Followers. It's rules for building and maintaining strongholds are interesting and definitely worth considering if that's a direction you want your campaign to go in. There are also some (mostly bad) magic items and some pretty cool monsters which you could include in any campaign.

I haven't tried out the mass combat rules contained within, but at a quick glance they look to be pretty solid.

The Henchmen/Retainers stuff is also cool, though people who don't have 2E and prior nostalgia may not get the same kick out of them that I do.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Don't have any opinion on City Builder, but I do own a copy of Strongholds and Followers. It's rules for building and maintaining strongholds are interesting and definitely worth considering if that's a direction you want your campaign to go in. There are also some (mostly bad) magic items and some pretty cool monsters which you could include in any campaign.

I haven't tried out the mass combat rules contained within, but at a quick glance they look to be pretty solid.

The Henchmen/Retainers stuff is also cool, though people who don't have 2E and prior nostalgia may not get the same kick out of them that I do.

I ended up buying it. Reviews seem really positive and I love how retainer stats, health, and initiative is handled. Seems simple enough to me. I've read some of the PDF and I might steal this for Lost Mines even.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up buying it. Reviews seem really positive and I love how retainer stats, health, and initiative is handled. Seems simple enough to me. I've read some of the PDF and I might steal this for Lost Mines even.

I've heard some mixed things about it, but I don't have any specifics to share sadly. The consensus seems to be that the concepts are solid but the wording or perhaps balance is a bit off. Speaking of Matt Colville, his latest video is really interesting and one of my favorites that he's done in the series:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I've heard some mixed things about it, but I don't have any specifics to share sadly. The consensus seems to be that the concepts are solid but the wording or perhaps balance is a bit off. Speaking of Matt Colville, his latest video is really interesting and one of my favorites that he's done in the series:

I'm watching this video right now actually. My friends who I have been DMing for are definitely one dimensional. Well two are but the others aren't. I'm trying to be better about asking what their character is doing, thinking and such. They're new to roleplaying. I do really like his videos.

I'm liking the book and I have some ideas so far. For $40 after shipping, it's great. It's also pretty big.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this video right now actually. My friends who I have been DMing for are definitely one dimensional. Well two are but the others aren't. I'm trying to be better about asking what their character is doing, thinking and such. They're new to roleplaying. I do really like his videos.

I'm liking the book and I have some ideas so far. For $40 after shipping, it's great. It's also pretty big.
Be happy they're one dimensional. at least two thirds of the people I've played with in my 25+ years of roleplaying play exclusively zero-dimensional "audience members," to use Matt's terms.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Be happy they're one dimensional. at least two thirds of the people I've played with in my 25+ years of roleplaying play exclusively zero-dimensional "audience members," to use Matt's terms.

i'm not complaining about it but it's so much more fun seeing the other two that want to explore the world and have their characters feel like more than just some piece of paper.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
We finally managed to have a session again and well...after thirty minutes of fiddling with Discord in order to get everyone to hear everyone I said screw this we're going back to Hangouts. Five minutes and we were playing.

Was a fun one, though. Lots of laughter for sure. Feels like our serious adventure of fighting dragon cultists is turning into Men in Tights level farce, but I don't mind. It's not like I'm forcing it on them.

The group is fighting a drake and the rogue is hidden in a bush nearby. The drake is in low health. The rogue declares "I will try to shoot the drake straight into the ass" and rolls a natural 20. You can all guess how that went...

In other news, my Carbon 2185 physical copy arrived. So cool!

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
For those still researching the new edition of Pathfinder here is a well done video that explains the core rules.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Playing in a Hunter: The Reckoning game with some co-workers. Successfully had the "hey, let's use some safety tools!" conversation with the GM, which I was super happy to get done. Was glad that was taken well, given the... reputation that World of Darkness games can have. We'll have an x-card on the table (which is something I do for any game I'm playing) and also had the "hey, let's not include this kind of stuff in the game at all" conversation. (Read more about that stuff here if unfamiliar: https://www.gauntlet-rpg.com/tools-of-the-table.html, I'd highly recommend using them in your game!)

He's an more old school RPG player, so I'm interested to see how his style works with how I usually play stuff. A lot of his RPG stories are more of the "GM and player foiling each other" variety, than the "everyone working together to tell the best story" variety. The latter is how my games have gone typically, so it'll be interesting to see if those approaches can co-exist/if there's actually a difference there.

I do enjoy the character building in Hunter, and the powers you get to pick seem genuinely interesting from a mechanical/narrative impact perspective. Not sure how it'll all flow in game though, given that this is a much more old school style of narrative game than all the PBTA stuff I play/run.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

Me too! I was wondering where to take my beginner group after LMOP. While SKT is great and there's still a lot of new stuff to explore there, we have 3 Tieflings and a Dragonborn, so it would be remiss of me to not take them down and meet their creators! I know Tiamat didn't create the Dragonborn but yknow

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Me too! I was wondering where to take my beginner group after LMOP. While SKT is great and there's still a lot of new stuff to explore there, we have 3 Tieflings and a Dragonborn, so it would be remiss of me to not take them down and meet their creators! I know Tiamat didn't create the Dragonborn but yknow

I'll be running my friends from LMoP to STK. I so want to experience Descent with fresh characters.

This is a 1-13 adventure right?
I still wanna get the alternate cover version.
DnD_Descent_altcover__83966.1559074920.png

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be running my friends from LMoP to STK. I so want to experience Descent with fresh characters.

This is a 1-13 adventure right?
I still wanna get the alternate cover version.

Yeah, but I think most WOTC adventures have some kind of break point near 5 for players transitioning from the Starter Set or other tier 1 modules. I'm assuming 1-5 will take place in Baldur's Gate as a lead up to going into Avernus itself for the rest of the adventure. SKT is a lot of fun, and work, but none of my party is really "built" for the adventure, since I had originally just planned this to be a LMOP-only campaign. You really want some hooks to the deeper parts of the Sword Coast and at least one or two that know giant.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Yeah, but I think most WOTC adventures have some kind of break point near 5 for players transitioning from the Starter Set or other tier 1 modules. I'm assuming 1-5 will take place in Baldur's Gate as a lead up to going into Avernus itself for the rest of the adventure. SKT is a lot of fun, and work, but none of my party is really "built" for the adventure, since I had originally just planned this to be a LMOP-only campaign. You really want some hooks to the deeper parts of the Sword Coast and at least one or two that know giant.

I have some ideas. I haven't read enough of SKT but I like what I've read. There are some story hooks in both LMoP and SKT to connect the two but I'm sure I can think of something.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I have some ideas. I haven't read enough of SKT but I like what I've read. There are some story hooks in both LMoP and SKT to connect the two but I'm sure I can think of something.

yeah it's a THICK book. I've had some anxiety about managing chapter 3 but I think I have a good handle of what to do now. It's also a great primer for general Sword Coast shenanigans, since I had 0 experience with Faerun/FR prior to this.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Pre-ordered the beautiful GaleForce 9 Baldur's Gate Avernus DMs screen. Only $10 at my local game shop as they also do a huge mail order sales so they basically offer Amazon like prices. Cool Stuff Games if you're interested.
BaldursGate-Descent-Into-Avernus-Screen.png

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say go for it, it's a great game. The rules are very easy and streamlined (that may or may not be your cup of tea, I guess) and the setting is fantastic.
Agreed. I had a blast with it, enough so that I bought the Cypher System Rulebook to adapt a homebrew setting to the mechanics. Was really easy compared to most systems. I'd say it's maybe not crunchy enough for people who love in-depth mechanics, but I found it super-easy and fun to run.

The cyphers can be anything, which I love. In my setting, they were food and drink, and secret recipes/ingredients were coveted by kings and commoners alike. Players all had to pick a culinary craft. Was good fun, and made camp/downtime a thing unto itself.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Thankfully WoTC changed that ugly cover to this little gem.

nrsyQtu.jpg

EYItamx.jpg