• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just played my first dedicated tank type in 5E, in a combat-heavy session, and it was a blast. We are doing an epic-level one-shot, so I was a lil worried about handling tank duties at high levels, but I think 5E handles tanking options pretty well. If anything, I felt a bit OP. Our DM was liberal with magic items, though, so that's a lot of it.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
avernus is coming today. forgot i had it preordered and didn't realize the release date. i'll have a flip through it later

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice looking game. The Mouse Guard RPG has always appealed to me, and this is obviously in the same wheelhouse genre wise, but with the PBTA system I'm already super familiar with. So that's cool.

I was a little concerned to see a whole page of special combat moves, since that's not what I wanna see in a game like this. But it at least looks like it's just 3 basic moves for sword fighting, punching, and shooting, and then a bunch of special moves you need a specific weapon and skill for. So most people won't be picking from a bunch of different moves each turn in combat. Not sure why you'd not just put those in the classes though? I'll have to read more.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
So this up on Kickstarter. Didn't realize an RPG adaptation was in the works for Root. One of my favorite board games and so much detail given on the campaign page too.

fucked around with the world map creation rules included in the quick start guide and then threw it in to wonderdraft:

6sv3FFD.png

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
very nice. i tried making one. but my rolls weren't varied enough and ended with rabbit all to the left side of the map. i wonder how that would affect the game.
im sure you could GM up a lore reason for it being that way. also, did you have more than four rabbit territories overall? the guide recommends keeping each race at 4 zones max

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So has anyone read the new Avernus adventure? Does it actually have anything to do with the Bhaal Spawn of the games? Or is it just markets as a BG game to get people to buy it? Because it sounds more like a 9 Hells game.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone read the new Avernus adventure? Does it actually have anything to do with the Bhaal Spawn of the games? Or is it just markets as a BG game to get people to buy it? Because it sounds more like a 9 Hells game.

The adventure itself is very Avernus focused, but there's a significant section going into the different aspects of Baldur's Gate for homebrew adventures and the early/post adventure. Bhaal is mentioned and his cultists have stat blocks, but the focus on him and the other 2 of the Dead Three are rather brief.

Last edited:

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017

I'm about to start it as a player tonight. Can we keep any detailed discussion in response to this in spoiler tags? I'd like to go in as blind as possible (other than the fact that the adventure's title is a giant spoiler)

edit - thanks

Last edited:

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Went to a tabletop games convention yesterday, and while most of what I played were board games, the standout game I played was Dread, the horror RPG that is played with just a Jenga tower. You pull a block to succeed at an action, but if the tower falls, your character dies. It was real easy to get everyone just set up and playing, which was perfect for a convention. We just did a quick character-building questionnaire and we were all ready to start playing.

Everyone was really engaged, especially when the tower started to get unstable. Everyone was watching with bated breath whenever someone took an action and had to pull. We had some pretty spectacular collapses. I went out early, but I took advantage of a rule that said if you intentionally push over the tower you still die, but you get to dictate the terms of your departure. So I was able to take down a mess of monsters with me in a heroic sacrifice.

Having it horror themed and including such a spectacle made player death not only fun, but the highlights of the game. It's sort of like a table top version of Until Dawn, where it is more fun to play in the genre tropes of horror than to try for optimal play.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually doing some early dev on a tabletop RPG system, and I want to make character creation a fun but guided experience. What are some of your favorite character creation experiences in tabletop?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually doing some early dev on a tabletop RPG system, and I want to make character creation a fun but guided experience. What are some of your favorite character creation experiences in tabletop?

Most PBTA games. You start with a generic archetype (The Paladin) but then fill out the details of the character using a backstory questionnaire, bonds and move selection

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most PBTA games. You start with a generic archetype (The Paladin) but then fill out the details of the character using a backstory questionnaire, bonds and move selection

I'll second this. There should probably be an optional element for players knowing each other prior as well, instead of mandatory like Monster of the Week.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I like the one in the Dresden Files RPG (it used the Fate system) where you derive traits from basic concept of your character and their backstory, and then everyone writes part of an adventure their character got into and passes it around for other players to build on and finish to derive more traits and establish relationships between each other before the campaign starts.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
kind of a weird request but does anyone know if there is a software that allows multiple people to be viewing the same PDF, and allows them to write/draw on it? think google docs but specifically for PDF files.

i want to run a game of Root, but with the game being so new I doubt there's a roll20 template, and it's just easier to write straight on the character sheet like in real life instead of having to convert the thing into a boring spreadsheet

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Ran a Root one-shot using the quickstart rules. WOW this game is a ton of fun. Can't wait to jump in to a full campaign.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ran a Root one-shot using the quickstart rules. WOW this game is a ton of fun. Can't wait to jump in to a full campaign.
Hnnnng jealous! Game looks so fun. I can't wait to play it.

On an unrelated note, I just ordered 20 Chessex d10s for a game I am designing. That's right, I am making a d10 dice pool game, and I don't even feel bad about it. Nyah.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Have you done any Powered by the Apocalypse games before? If so, what makes the Root version stand out? I'm still somewhat on the fence of backing it, despite having backed all the board games (admittedly late so I have not actually played them yet) and playing ttrps.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My game has gone which has run a couple years now from 5 players to 6 a month ago and now 6 to 9.

We've been going through Mad Mage and I'm doubling up all the monsters in each encounter.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Have you done any Powered by the Apocalypse games before? If so, what makes the Root version stand out? I'm still somewhat on the fence of backing it, despite having backed all the board games (admittedly late so I have not actually played them yet) and playing ttrps.
Yeah I've run one shots of Dino Island, Urban Shadows, and Monster of the Week and am also currently running an MOTW campaign.

I really like the game's map generation & faction systems. WIth it being a one shot I obviously didn't get to engage much with those systems beyond the initial setup, but I can tell that the players influencing which faction controls which parts of the map will be really exciting and having the game strictly paired down to just 12 colonies keeps the faction stuff manageable.

I also enjoy the game's crunchier approach to combat. That, combined with the resource management mechanics, make the party's gear matter way more than in other pbta games.

Again, I just played a one shot and I'd have to see how these systems panned out in a full campaign, but even from just the short time we played I could already see the massive amount of value those systems I described would provide to the game.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017

Basically, instead of the normal campaign (some of the players can't make it this week) Critical Role is doing a one-shot - sponsored by Wendy's.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
The whole situation feels super bizarre, and Wendy's' tweet didn't really give as much context as they should have.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to very gingerly step in here and inform you all that the 1st issue of an ongoing tabletop gaming series that I created with my wife is going to go live on DriveThruRPG this Friday.

It's called The APERTURE Guide and you are under no obligation to purchase it. But, if you are so inclined, feel free to download the 30 page Free Preview that will accompany its launch.

Thank you. Please resume your normal activities.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Oh hai the Reaper Bones Kickstarter 5 is live and flying past stretch goal as usual.
I'm in.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Just had one of my best sessions as a DM. It was a small thing but I managed to plan a reveal just as we were ending and my players were all shouting in realisation and it's one of the best feelings ever. I love RPGs!