• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Just had one of my best sessions as a DM. It was a small thing but I managed to plan a reveal just as we were ending and my players were all shouting in realisation and it's one of the best feelings ever. I love RPGs!

I really miss that feeling. I really need to find a group to play some D&D or CoC...

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Just had one of my best sessions as a DM. It was a small thing but I managed to plan a reveal just as we were ending and my players were all shouting in realisation and it's one of the best feelings ever. I love RPGs!
Nice! I love those moments as a DM. Sometimes they'll flop or not hit as well as they could have, but for the ones that land it, you're right that it's one of the best feelings ever.

I've got a big one hanging in my game right now, where I've setup a few loosely connecting threads. Things are slowly coming together on it, but I'm really worried about sticking the landing. A lot of that is due to all the expected uncertainty around what the players may or may not do, so I'll just have to roll with it and keep adjusting as things go.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss that feeling. I really need to find a group to play some D&D or CoC...

Yeah I've really had some up and downs lately and felt pretty bad about my DMing skills, but this session (and group) was really the best thing since i started playing DND/TTRPGs.

Nice! I love those moments as a DM. Sometimes they'll flop or not hit as well as they could have, but for the ones that land it, you're right that it's one of the best feelings ever.

I've got a big one hanging in my game right now, where I've setup a few loosely connecting threads. Things are slowly coming together on it, but I'm really worried about sticking the landing. A lot of that is due to all the expected uncertainty around what the players may or may not do, so I'll just have to roll with it and keep adjusting as things go.

Yeah I've had small cliffhanger moments before but nothing like this where it was so perfectly lined up with the ending of the session. It came together quickly and unexpectedly but I'm happy with the way it played out. I'm always uncertain that my players will think I fudged something or railroaded them into a bad outcome but thankfully this group really enjoyed it and can't wait for next week.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Some more news from Wendy's. An actual RPG.

feast-of-legends-main.jpg

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Oh boy, can't wait for a bunch of professionals to go crazy again about a silly advertisement game threatening the legitimacy of their medium like they did for that KFC visual novel.
My group is actually thinking about playing this on Sunday. We were gonna start our first session of Tales from the Loop, but, ya know....Wendy's.

I don't know what to think about this, lol! The production value seems oddly very high!

So, yes, this is a 97-page advertisement for Wendy's fast food, but we're shouting it out for a few reasons. First, it's an elegantly streamlined version of D&D, somewhere between that game's 4th Edition and 5th Edition rulesets, and it revolves around standard-issue D&D tropes like multi-sided die, rolling for initiative, building a character with varied stats, performing a limited number of actions and moves per turn, encouraging creative decision-making (aided by dice rolls) when outside of combat, and maneuvering warriors on a grid of squares whenever battle breaks out.

As a newbie-friendly twist on D&D, Feast of Legends automatically chooses abilities and powers for each of its classes, and it also shrinks D&D's six ability scores down to five. Whether you want to augment your heroes' stats by spending gold on Wendy's themed weapons ("spork") or armor ("red polo, black visor") is up to you.

Second, Feast of Legends includes a particularly robust starting campaign, designed to get players up to a D&D equivalent of level-five experience. Each step of the way includes towns, maps, puzzles, and custom-created monsters. Anybody with reasonable D&D expertise can pick this campaign apart to remove the most egregious fast-food branding should they want to run friends through a silly one-off tabletop campaign, either using these rules or a preferred system (D&D, Pathfinder, etc).

wendys-feast-01.png

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-10.png

Screenshot-12.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 290

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all, noob here looking for some advice. A bunch of my friends have been trying to get a game going for a while now, but the two people who actually know what they're doing are inordinately busy and so I've been tasked with setting up a campaign for our group. I have a basic idea of what I should be doing, but my only real experience comes from a very role play-heavy game of Vampire about 20 years ago, so my question is; from the following list of games available to us, what would be the best pick for a largely clueless GM who doesn't want the game to be a complete mess and put off the various entirely new to RPG players we'll have joining us?

The games at our disposal are; Vampire (the latest one and the '90s ones), Cyberpunk 2020, Conan, Black Void, Cold and Dark, Numenera and D&D 5th Edition.

Also, does anyone have experience with Cold and Dark specifically? I personally really like the setting, but get the impression the gameplay might be too intimidating for our group at large.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Hello all, noob here looking for some advice. A bunch of my friends have been trying to get a game going for a while now, but the two people who actually know what they're doing are inordinately busy and so I've been tasked with setting up a campaign for our group. I have a basic idea of what I should be doing, but my only real experience comes from a very role play-heavy game of Vampire about 20 years ago, so my question is; from the following list of games available to us, what would be the best pick for a largely clueless GM who doesn't want the game to be a complete mess and put off the various entirely new to RPG players we'll have joining us?

The games at our disposal are; Vampire (the latest one and the '90s ones), Cyberpunk 2020, Conan, Black Void, Cold and Dark, Numenera and D&D 5th Edition.

Also, does anyone have experience with Cold and Dark specifically? I personally really like the setting, but get the impression the gameplay might be too intimidating for our group at large.

I have only played a short campaign of D&D 5th Edition. I've started DMing for friends using just the starter set. I've DM'd 3 sessions now for high school friends who've never played any RPG or even board games. They've been loving it so far. It's a premade campaign with premade character. I had them make their own characters though but the adventure itself is really good. It has just enough prompts to get your players interested in exploring or questing anywhere in the region but enough prompts to guide players with out feeling like they're being forced.

It takes very little time to set up and prepare which helps a lot as well.

71BrQ6ZxQDL.jpg

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I've not played Cold and Dark, sorry :/ Looks really great, though.

I would cross out CP2020 right off the bat. It's a great game, but with a group like yours, it would involve a lot of flipping through the book and figuring out fiddly things. It's a tad granular in its mechanics.

Of the rest that I have played, D&D 5E and Numenera can do what you want. They are both very good systems for newer players. I would honestly decide between them based on what you as a GM/DM would have more fun running (remember that YOU are supposed to have fun, too!)

That said, D&D 5E has more resources for new players and has a more recognizable theme/purpose/gameplay loop. A lot of what it does is probably already living rent free in your players heads. It also requires a tad less player choice upon character creation, making it easier to get up and running sooner, and has less "choice paralysis." Numenera is certainly not bad about this compared to most games, but there are a few mechanical things that introduce things unique to the Cypher System (which it is based on) that might be a little counterintuitive to new players (and GMs.)

There is a reason 5E is so popular right now. It's really accessible for new players and DMs, and there is a TON of content and support out there for both.

Anecdotal evidence: I have watched multiple new players who have never played a TTRPG acclimate to 5E really quickly. Numenera is technically just as simple, maybe more so in the end, but the initial play will prolly introduce some things that require a few extra steps to grok (Spending Might/Intellect/Speed, Edge mechanics, Effort...) and the freedom to pick your main "power" is great, but I have seen it paralyze players because of the choice involved lol.

Hope this helps!

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
So I'll be running a D&D 5e one shot for some people who never ever played any kind of RPG this coming Monday. 3 players for sure, hoping for a 4th. But anyway, I've never run a one shot and hoping someone can tell me of a good free pre-made adventure that starts at level 1 and hopefully lasts around 4 hours but I won't say no to longer.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I have only played a short campaign of D&D 5th Edition. I've started DMing for friends using just the starter set. I've DM'd 3 sessions now for high school friends who've never played any RPG or even board games. They've been loving it so far. It's a premade campaign with premade character. I had them make their own characters though but the adventure itself is really good. It has just enough prompts to get your players interested in exploring or questing anywhere in the region but enough prompts to guide players with out feeling like they're being forced.

It takes very little time to set up and prepare which helps a lot as well.

71BrQ6ZxQDL.jpg
I'm loving this story. New people loving the best hobby!

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Ran my first session of a full Root campaign tonight. Didn't go as smoothly as the one shot I ran a few weeks ago but I'm hoping we'll iron out the wrinkles in the next session or two. Had a player unexpectedly join at the last minute also, which im normally fine with, but they ended up being the type that just murders & pillages everything :/ Hoping that calms down too. Overall I'm liking the system, but I'm not clear on how a couple of the moves work so I'm gonna try re-reading the quickstart to refresh myself. I'll report back after next session!

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man I miss playing TTRPGs.
Would some Era folks be willing to play online ? (EU timezone)

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been DMing a GURPS campaign for some 3 years now. Good stuff. One of my great joys is having a cool session where I didn't plan anything beforehand hahahaha

Oct 25, 2017
After me and my group wrap out our current DnD 5e campaign (probably in the next 6-8 months) we are thinking about making a campaign where levels are capped at 11 or so.

The higher levels are just a disaster for balancing, especially as player characters start spiraling out of control.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CMON just launched their Zombicide 2nd edition Kickstarter, and there's a TTRPG included among the pledges. At a cursory glance, it's reminiscent of the Free League Publishing system.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After me and my group wrap out our current DnD 5e campaign (probably in the next 6-8 months) we are thinking about making a campaign where levels are capped at 11 or so.

The higher levels are just a disaster for balancing, especially as player characters start spiraling out of control.
Hehe we just played a one-shot as level 19 PCs. The DM had never run an epic-level anything. Our big bad was a demon lord + minions, and the GM was worried they had made it too difficult because of all the HP, powers, and legendary actions. CR24 I think.

We facerolled everything. It was ridiculous lol. Still fun in a power fantasy kind of way, but you really have to throw a lot at high-level PCs to present a direct threat, so much so that it's easy to throw too much at them.

That's why I prefer to do less (but way deadlier) combat and more mysteries/puzzles at high levels when DMing.

Oct 25, 2017
We facerolled everything. It was ridiculous lol. Still fun in a power fantasy kind of way, but you really have to throw a lot at high-level PCs to present a direct threat, so much so that it's easy to throw too much at them.

Lol our party is level 15ish right now and things have really just gotten out of control, it's funny as hell but our DM is pretty much stuck balancing either by doing sheer quantity of enemies or just over tuned monstrosities that have insane ACs.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I have to know if I'm overreacting. I posted this over on reddit.

But here it is.

I backed City Builder: Platinum Edition because well I saw it. I've started DMing, I want to build a major city in my own world and make it believable and this book has been released before and the creator wanted to release a new updated edition. Awesome right? A sweet hardcover to look at and get some ideas from.

They showed off some art in the latest update.

o0HRLY7.jpg

(this isn't the latest piece of art shown)

I can even show my kickstarter comment history, I don't care. It's not at all aggressive or vitriolic. For a stretch goal of $4000, I was hoping for something that is better than something I can create. I see 6 fingers one person, a woman who looks like she has the neck of an owl, and just something that makes me think of motel art.

This is all I said.

nnF6qRt.jpg

This afternoon I get an email.

EZDZo89.jpg

How is someone like this running a project and can't take criticism especially one that seems pretty tame. I don't think I was being a huge dick.

Anyway, screw this project. I'll use my friends copy for free, download their PDF for free, and not even bother supporting them by getting a physical book.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

But here it is.

I backed City Builder: Platinum Edition because well I saw it. I've started DMing, I want to build a major city in my own world and make it believable and this book has been released before and the creator wanted to release a new updated edition. Awesome right? A sweet hardcover to look at and get some ideas from.

o0HRLY7.jpg

I can even show my kickstarter comment history, I don't care. It's not at all aggressive or vitriolic. For a stretch goal of $4000, I was hoping for something that is better than something I can create. I see 6 fingers one person, a woman who looks like she has the neck of an owl, and just something that makes me think of motel art.

This is all I said.

nnF6qRt.jpg

EZDZo89.jpg

How is someone like this running a project and can't take criticism especially one that seems pretty tame. I don't think I was being a huge dick.

Anyway, screw this project. I'll use my friends copy for free, download their PDF for free, and not even bother supporting them by getting a physical book.

It seems to be a very weird and unwarranted reaction from those running the project... I don't think you're overreacting.

Also, that person totally has 6 fingers.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
It seems to be a very weird and unwarranted reaction from those running the project... I don't think you're overreacting.

Also, that person totally has 6 fingers.

I could forgive that if it didn't look like it was a mistake.

The problem for me is the background, too many upward lines that draw your eyes to the ceiling. The image is too busy for the text that is placed over it. There is no light source, just ambient lighting and shadows. It seems like it's not grounded in reality. The chairs are too warm compared to the other wood. The pink juxtaposed with the green is not good. Those colors are too bright to be the furthest away in space.

I'm not even someone who draws. I practice so I can draw my D&D characters, maps, and world but if I helped with a stretch goal of $4000, I want something that's better than my own skill. I'm not demanding something on par with Jeff Easley's work but come on.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me, D&D 5E Era. I just let myself get drawn into a RAW vs RAI debate about the Shield Master feat. Will this ever die?

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017

But here it is.

o0HRLY7.jpg

This is all I said.

nnF6qRt.jpg

EZDZo89.jpg

Haha, wow. How fragile can they be...

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
been playing d&d for over a decade and only just learned that tiefling is in fact not another word for hobbit or halfling

AMA

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
How did you imagine all those edgy S&M flavored tiefling warlocks all these years?

Ugh. So I'm a new a one shot right at my friends place right? All new players. Literally never played an ttrpg before. My friends roommate, she's excited and I ask her if she wants a pregen character or to make one. So she made one while I went to the store to grab some drinks. She tells me the backstory of her Tiefling sorcerer, an urchin who has her magic ability unlocked by having demon sex at 14.

So gross. It's like everyone I've played with that is a Tiefling has to be edgey or gross.

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh. So I'm a new a one shot right at my friends place right? All new players. Literally never played an ttrpg before. My friends roommate, she's excited and I ask her if she wants a pregen character or to make one. So she made one while I went to the store to grab some drinks. She tells me the backstory of her Tiefling sorcerer, an urchin who has her magic ability unlocked by having demon sex at 14.

So gross. It's like everyone I've played that is a Tiefling has to be edged or gross.

No imagine the character lives next door to Bilbo in Shire.

giphy.gif

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
What's the argument on sneak attack damage?
Not to start the long argument, there's a lot of stupid arguments that some DMs make based on the word "sneak", where they say it only works if you surprise the opponent rather than what is written in the rules. There's also the RAW that a rogue can deal sneak attack damage only once on their turn, but stats nothing about per round of combat, which opens up the fact that they can deal sneak attack damage more than once per round if it's not on their turn (e.g. attack of opportunity, commanded strike, etc.). All in all, it is badly named (should be named Precision Strike or something similar) and worded in a way that it's almost impossible to have concrete rules for certain situations, and different DMs always seem to challenge each other's rulings.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Not to start the long argument, there's a lot of stupid arguments that some DMs make based on the word "sneak", where they say it only works if you surprise the opponent rather than what is written in the rules. There's also the RAW that a rogue can deal sneak attack damage only once on their turn, but stats nothing about per round of combat, which opens up the fact that they can deal sneak attack damage more than once per round if it's not on their turn (e.g. attack of opportunity, commanded strike, etc.). All in all, it is badly named (should be named Precision Strike or something similar) and worded in a way that it's almost impossible to have concrete rules for certain situations, and different DMs always seem to challenge each other's rulings.
Weird, sneak attack as written is crystal clear to me in 5th edition. I didn't even realize there was something to argue about.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the RAW that a rogue can deal sneak attack damage only once on their turn, but stats nothing about per round of combat, which opens up the fact that they can deal sneak attack damage more than once per round if it's not on their turn (e.g. attack of opportunity, commanded strike, etc.)
FWIW, this was mentioned in Sage Advice as being true. I realize Sage Advice isn't official errata, but as they've been infuriatingly slow with actual Errata it's the closest we get.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always read it as once per turn you can use sneak attack (as long as the other conditions are met and you have a reaction.) A turn, not just your turn.

Anywho, our DotMM group just leveled up to 6. We did Dragon Heist as a 4-person first and lost one PC and one player. Now we are a trio delving into the DotMM maps. Holy crap it's huge, and I am the only full caster now. Kinda feeling a lil pressure, but it's awesome.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Are there any people who play with a group in person but uses a digital set up?

I've been considering something like this but on a regular table. What's some great software to use? Something to use while playing to manage monsters/enemies and such. Any advice or information would be great.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
If you mean laying a display flat then just make sure you have good air circulation. Those things are designed to vent their waste heat upright. Dust intrusion is a concern as well.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Hey peeps, new on Era! Is there a Board Gaming OT or community thread in this place? I can't find one but maybe the users here can point me in the right direction... sorry for intruding!