• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
TACTICS OGRE
LET US CLING TOGETHER

Artists:
  • Akihiko Yoshida (Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIV, Bravely Default, NieR Automata)
  • Tsubasa Masao (Zone of the Enders 2, Metal Gear AC!D, Final Fantasy XIV)

Releases:
  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (1995, SNES) - Original game
  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Wheel of Fate) (2011, PSP) - Remake
Tactics Ogre is a SRPG in the same style that was popularized by Final Fantasy Tactics a few years later (same creator - Yasumi Matsuno). It's a beloved cult classic and still has the immense reputation of being one of the best of its kind thanks to its tremendous writing, engrossing gameplay system that broke out from the throes of Fire Emblem to make it more in line with a turn-based system, and a story that featured branching paths with huge changes between them. Simply put, it still tops the list as one of the best game ever made, especially in Japan.

The art is especially incredible, it was one of the first games designed by Akihiko Yoshida with Yasumi Matsuno's guidance, which would go on to have a fruitful relationship with Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII.

I am going to showcase some of the art of the game in the highest quality I could find. Here is a relevant music for the journey ahead

Tactics Ogre 1995 Box Art - Akihiko Yoshida

4OCavlH.png

Tactics Ogre 2011 Box Art - Akihiko Yoshida

T81mYVb.png

Illustration (1995) - Akihiko Yoshida

1bIQuHe.png

Full Art (1995) - Akihiko Yoshida

GRizETb.png

Character Illustration (2011) - Akihiko Yoshida

elUbfIY.png

Character Illustration (Date unknown) - Akihiko Yoshida

9HHiMOb.png

Z4dJqLg.png

jYYvDw0.png

TMEGC99.png

2M4fbnT.png

mkrOsmn.png

sRGm4pG.png

Tarot Cards (2011) - Akihiko Yoshida
  • Temperance and The Devil
oTv4xnj.png
dZXxo74.png

• The Hermit and The Tower
1onDBaL.png
FDLxfAF.png

• The Star and The Moon
9zqCi1k.png
qXXisTz.png

• The Fool and The Sun
JhK4qOo.png
jh3pnOR.png

• The World and Judgement
ozuZpgM.png
1KirbUq.png

• The Magician and The High Priestess
ENQvVHA.png
jqkMRvO.png

• Wheel of Fortune and The Strength
VcsvD45.png
poL81Pw.png

• The Chariot and Death
WzEMiFL.png
x0fM87T.png

• The Hanged Man and Justice
uIrRCiD.png
DpxGOxk.png

• The Emperor and The Empress
ON9AcTY.png
iEvVGGT.png

• The Lovers and The Hierophant
g4FvKEP.png
bxlPlhz.png

Character Designs (1995) - Akihiko Yoshida

wIlzH3C.png

Xi0eq8H.png

Character Designs (2011) - Tsubasa Masao
  • Denam Pavel and Vyce Bozeck
UIbtnPk.png
zs3iW6R.png

• Lanselot Hamilton and Catiua Pavel
5M4L42b.png
Xz15Trv.png

• Ozma Moh Glacius and Generic Female Thief class
DF3T0LT.png
hzhGBfr.png

• Generic Male Terror Knight Class and Volaq Windsalf
Q0Y87gp.png
csZRom1.png

• Arycelle Dania and Mirdyn Walhorn
YxT9iV1.png
7mJkg3v.png

• Generic Female Archer Class and Generic Male Cleric Class
O8lzFHa.png
T3mhxqx.png

• Generic Female Cleric Class and Generic Female Knight class
oa8k5W6.png
i8fHBfR.png

• Generic Female Beast Tamer Class and Generic Female Lich Class
wwe8jMg.png
2kOvJpc.png

• Ravness Loxaerion
Ofiuoce.png

Tactics Ogre (1995) vs Tactics Ogre (2011) Portraits

7S5fmHI.png

Background Art - Tactics Ogre (2011) - Unknown (potentially Kouta Niihara)
  • Almorica Castle
pZSYpEP.png

• Brigantys Castle
sZfiete.png

• Qadriga Fortress
auU1Nh4.png

• The Hanging Gardens
prstJXv.png

• Lhazan Fortress
LxkO9d2.png

• Coritanae Keep
Wp5XLiG.png

Hope you enjoyed what you've seen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
wow thanks for this

my version of the psp game included an art book, but this thread contains a lot of stuff not included there

as you can maybe guess from my avatar, i'm a fan of the game :)

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Masao's designs are godlike, they gave the characters so much personality compared to Yoshida.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I own limited edition for PSP with Tarot Cards (Unfortunately it was only a selection), I bought it digitally for PS Vita and I would buy it in a heartbeat for Switch.

is there a good guide for the battle system cause I got stuck in last two battles because I never tried to figure out what are the best builds against beasts.

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
That's some seriously impressive artwork. Thanks for sharing! I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy XII and I'm enjoying so much that I think I'll replay other Matsuno games like FFT, Vagrant Story and TO:LUCT after I'm finished with FFXII. This just makes me want to play TO:LUCT right now lol.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Easily some of my favorite character artwork of any game. Wish more stuff took inspiration from this and FF Tactics. Yoshida especially, but Masao is no slouch either.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't even tell you how much I love the original art (this shot especially).

A lot of the new too, but, although talented, I wasn't as keen on Masao's designs to the original.
I also lucked out and saw the physical Tarot Cards laying around back when I worked at EB Games. Best thing I ever swiped. ♫

Also Dreamboum great collection. But any love for loved the SNES/PSX sprites too? Such impeccable realism for such tiny sprites!

TWBElcj.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Akihiko Yoshida is definitely a thigh fan huh
... when it's done as tastefully as this I'm a big fan đź‘€

Love the costuming and weapons in general. Everything feels very airy and delicate. The sparseness of things helps the designs read really well, compared to a lot of other RPG character designs where they're far too busy and overdesigned. Despite not having played it, I've always appreciated the game from afar because of the fantastic art.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
They are so beautiful! Akihiko Yoshida also did amazingly for FF14.

I really hope he is the character design for FF16 ;)

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Best box-art, best video game title, best character portraits, best video game artbook, best port/remake.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite games. I adore this artstyle and have always wanted to see VIII characters styled in it. Also in FF Tactics style. Lanselot is my favourite design in the game.

Also I like to still live in a bubble where Canopus has short spiky red hair and not shoulder length long hair.
tumblr_p8cqmfwX5I1wmjq42o1_400.png

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The artbook is one of my favorite items of all time. It's so drop dead gorgeous. Akihiko Yoshida is one of the reasons I also got the FFXIV artbook(s) even though I can't really play the actual game. Yoshida is pretty damn great. And Tactics Ogre is his best work, imo.

EUY4_-dUcAYi-nk

d68a815e16ccfef375ea6616f482c1f2.jpg

I wish they'd remaster the game for consoles and PC by simply using higher resolution portraits.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Gorgeous art, and one of my favorite games. Played it on Vita with zoomed out view and no bilinear filtering. Perfection.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
What are the chances that Square Enix will port the game to current gen consoles and PC? They did a good job with Star Ocean 1 and that looked fine on a 55 inch TV, because they had high resolution artwork in it. This game would really benefit from a port.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Does Tactics Ogre have an iOS or Switch release? Want to play the remaster on PSP but I've thrown my PSP away

Guildenstern

Oct 29, 2017
The nice thing about this thread is that Matsuno, Yoshida and Masao are most likely working on FF16 right now.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best SRPGs I've ever played. And the art it's so gorgeous that really helps elevate it.

Even if he is the same artist in Bravely Default games I prefer his work here, it seems more realistic fantasy? I don't know how to explain.

PS: I would kill for a new Tactics Ogre, or at least a Fire Emblem with character design similar to this

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Such a great game. Would love to see it on modern architecture so I can retire my Vita TV.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Probably my favourite artstyle in video games. FFXIV is a close second.

I need to do a Lttp since I just finished the game couple of months ago. Nothing short of a masterpiece.