• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, I'm glad I asked because I absolutely intended to WORLD first, and CODA 1 later. Why would you recommend the opposite?

Clearing Coda 1 creates an Anchor Point, so you can WORLD back to that point and keep your POTD Nybeth clear intact after doing whatever you needed to do earlier in the timeline.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't it unlock the Blackmoor fight if Nybeth is flagged as dead?

Ah, that might be it. I don't think that is really worth too much futzing around though or doing content that somebody is less interested in. Doing this game 100% is basically impossible and the amount necessary to fix that 100 hours from now when they want to try that isn't really that significant compared to the 1000 battles you're doing to have to do by then.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
yea im watching it now, just about to finish it and I definitely feel dumb for recommending Circlet +1 use lol.
Really worried that SE won't fix any of that, given they just generally don't give their games much postlaunch support.

Kicking myself for getting this for PS5. No way I'm getting this on Steam when I've put 100+ hours into the game.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Really worried that SE won't fix any of that, given they just generally don't give their games much postlaunch support.

Kicking myself for getting this for PS5. No way I'm getting this on Steam when I've put 100+ hours into the game.
Eh Stranger of Paradise's support of all things makes me think there's a non zero chance they'll patch stuff. Assuming this is stuff that's patchable and not (as CoffeePotato posited as a hypothetical worst case) some 11th hour realization the math didnt work so they tore out (dummied out) stuff or gave them insane weights in the decimals. THAT would be worst case scenario for me since it would mean SE basically ordered them to wrap it up when shit wasn't ready which would be a huge misfire because this can either prime the landing strip for FFT (as well as keeping SE's name in the overall convo of Tactical RPGs in an age of XCOM and FE) or salt that earth due to their management (what a twist).

But thats a heck of a lot of assumptions on my part, so for my part I'm just gonna remain hopeful SE will patch stuff but as you said there's a good chance they don't as SE has a reputation for that (and notable instances when they doubled down and fixed things tbf like CT PC/mobile and other such instances [ignoring XIV because this is specifically within the context of things SE would feasibly consider fodder to bail on and its clear that XIV failing was never really an option for them]).

And thankfully I got gifted this game twice for my bday so I already have it on Steam and you can absolutely bet I'm hacking the shit out of it if I stall out on my PSN master file should the balancing prove miserable for me.

It is REALLY funny that given the current systems functioning that if you wanna min/max grind you'll get more mileage farming elemental charms and just have an elite hit squad of elementally kaleidoscopic units for every major boss encounter.

I really wanna just hop over to the Steam version and do so much testing like hacking in 999 AGI and AVD charms to see how badly of dump stats they happen to be for example.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have Donatello as my main Cleric. Sherri and her sisters make very good Shamans.

The thing about Cleric is that any generic unit can play the healer role whereas uniques are better suited for damage dealing jobs because of their better stats. On top of that not every character can be a Shaman, so Sherri, Olivya etc tend to be the ones.
94f8a5c4-74a5-42d7-831a-aa1c0ad6c1cd.258296a3efe63554385d14e529cd2673.jpeg

(his name is Donnalto!)

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Making my way through POTD (in the 30s now). Is there anywhere specific I should stop and farm some great gear? I already got a full set of winged rings.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Making my way through POTD (in the 30s now). Is there anywhere specific I should stop and farm some great gear? I already got a full set of winged rings.
11-30 (or there abouts) it rains a bunch of craft books and gear but you get some nice stuff at the higher floors too for the meatier gear slots like armor and weapons. At least from what I heard >_<; , 2 more shrines to go (really hate not having much time to play these days).

Last edited:

norn

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like it's just an extremely rare drop now since we can't quicksave-scum like we could on PSP.
yeah, i haven't seen numbers yet, but it's apparently not 100%.

other drop rates for all post-game stuff have been datamined, along with class growths, damage calculations, auto skill proc rates, power of spells & finishers et cetera. there's lots of good info here. reborn is still the definitive version of the game IMO, but plenty of things are still quite borked not only in terms of balance but just straight up not working correctly. such as blunt and pierce resist not being checked by any physical attack...

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it's frustrating because it's apparent how much work they put in. SE better give them the time and budget to patch it or they will salt the earth on FFT sales based on their post launch TO:R support I feel

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that explains why I feel like Postgame is mostly about just getting stat cards and charms from using WORLD to see all of the content and basically meta-progressing via that stat growth.

If pierce and blunt resistance don't work, then why are bows and crossbows doing what they do?

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that explains why I feel like Postgame is mostly about just getting stat cards and charms from using WORLD to see all of the content and basically meta-progressing via that stat growth.

If pierce and blunt resistance don't work, then why are bows and crossbows doing what they do?
Shit in Ogre games can get really inscrutable. Hell people still haven't cracked the code on Unit bio-rythym (basically a different system that took the place of LUCT's luck system when viewing a portrait) in Knight of Lodis. Someone tried and got some answers but either quit or stalled out on finding out exactly how it works.

I think people will have an easier time with Reborn but there might be walls they encounter slowing them.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that video is concerning. But, to confirm, Coffee Potato is saying *none* of the resistances are working? That is, second page on protective gear?!

norn

Oct 26, 2017
it's anyone's guess really - i'm nowhere near informed enough to say. per that site, ranged weapons (incl. fusils and blowguns) have a 2.5x ATK (attacker) and DEF (defender) multiplier applied to them, compared to most other weapons' 1.0 values for both (daggers and 1h katanas have 1.2x ATK, 1.0 DEF). to me, an idiot, that would seem to be the same thing, but i'm guessing it has some sort of mathematical impact in the damage calculation, else it wouldn't be different. maybe? but then all sorts of other stuff is either not working correctly or questionably designed, so...

regardless, you can see even very early in the game before you understand what's going on that resistances aren't working right - since most finishers have the same damage mod (100, a minority are 250, all multihits are 0, and for some reason the 4th whip finisher is 300), a pierce and crush finisher should do different damage if the enemy has different resist attributes - but they do the exact same amount of damage against all enemies throughout the game regardless of armour loadouts

for what it's worth i think the game is still perfectly playable and outside of nature's touch wildly distorting performance on the classes who can access it, the balance here is the best of the 3 versions. but yeah, in [x time period] after [official patch/fan patch], i imagine the game will look quite different. the problem is that many people are likely to have moved on by then, but them's the breaks

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
it's anyone's guess really - i'm nowhere near informed enough to say. per that site, ranged weapons (incl. fusils and blowguns) have a 2.5x ATK (attacker) and DEF (defender) multiplier applied to them, compared to most other weapons' 1.0 values for both (daggers and 1h katanas have 1.2x ATK, 1.0 DEF). to me, an idiot, that would seem to be the same thing, but i'm guessing it has some sort of mathematical impact in the damage calculation, else it wouldn't be different. maybe? but then all sorts of other stuff is either not working correctly or questionably designed, so...

regardless, you can see even very early in the game before you understand what's going on that resistances aren't working right - since most finishers have the same damage mod (100, a minority are 250, all multihits are 0, and for some reason the 4th whip finisher is 300), a pierce and crush finisher should do different damage if the enemy has different resist attributes - but they do the exact same amount of damage against all enemies throughout the game regardless of armour loadouts

for what it's worth i think the game is still perfectly playable and outside of nature's touch wildly distorting performance on the classes who can access it, the balance here is the best of the 3 versions. but yeah, in [x time period] after [official patch/fan patch], i imagine the game will look quite different. the problem is that many people are likely to have moved on by then, but them's the breaks
I have noticed it with finishers but never put two and two together. Does this make the post-game unplayable or require sole focus on base stats? Is that even viable?

norn

Oct 26, 2017
I have noticed it with finishers but never put two and two together. Does this make the post-game unplayable or require sole focus on base stats? Is that even viable?
absolutely not. it's even fine without running a super tryhard party. i did all of PotD at level 40 in CH4 Chaos (non-sync), so i had no nature's touch, no catiua, my denam wasn't a caster, so on and so forth.

the problem with these cooked systems in the postgame, imo, is that it makes the rewards feel quite unimpactful.
cudgels not applying their int under a multitude of circumstances? guess i'll just ignore these sage's staves & the cursed cudgel i've gotten (and the cursed book too i guess? dunno if they are also broken)
resistances not working correctly? good thing i have all these suits of elemental armour
sparse population of light/dark enemies in the postgame? doesn't really make much sense to be light or dark then outside of maybe catiua/denam, so why do i need all these light/dark weapons that drop in the late late game?

i think this and a few other things contribute to PotD feeling like such a bummer, though it's too long by half regardless. the middle part feels like nothing but bows, crossbows (WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CROSSBOWS?!), cudgels that are worse than the elemental wands you can craft, et cetera. the real reward are the stat charms you start getting drowned in around the second half, but that's just not as exciting as getting a cool new piece of gear.

with all of that said, i enjoyed my trek through PotD. no, really, i did! but i don't think it's well-designed at all, and i will be there with bells on for the first person who can fix some of this stuff.

edit: don't even get me started on the weapon skill earrings that are worse than a +10 STR/DEX ring you can craft much earlier, much easier

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I have a few remaining questions that will help me wrap my head around the issues Coffee Potato explained in that video:
  • Resistances (attack type, elemental, and race?) are not working as expected. If this is true, then I guess I shouldn't bother with upgrading relics that boost those values, right?
  • On the other hand, does this render the offensive race, attack type, and elemental advantages for weapons also useless? Or are those working as expected?
  • Judging by finishers and what Coffee Potato said, attack types are not being factored correctly. Does this apply to finishers or attacks with elemental damage, meaning pay them no mind as they don't factor?
  • Still not sure about the efficacy of elemental armor or earrings with weapons skills. Im hearing conflicting things. Coffee Potato gave me the impression that the former is busted but the latter is viable. But I saw some posts here that gave me the opposite impression?
  • Still not sure what the bugginess of the offhand is. Can someone summarize?
  • Is the issue with Circlet related to any of the above, or is it an entirely different issue?

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that video is concerning. But, to confirm, Coffee Potato is saying *none* of the resistances are working? That is, second page on protective gear?!
None of the elemental stuff it seems but racial stuff like dragon killer human killer golem killer beast killer and the defensive versions of those traits do seem to work.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I have a few remaining questions that will help me wrap my head around the issues Coffee Potato explained in that video:

• On the other hand, does this render the offensive race, attack type, and elemental advantages for weapons also useless? Or are those working as expected?
  • Judging by finishers and what Coffee Potato said, attack types are not being factored correctly. Does this apply to finishers or attacks with elemental damage, meaning pay them no mind as they don't factor?

Elemental advantage seems to factor into your total attack stat if the user is of that same element - you can check this on the charms menu by trying to change a character's element to or from the element of the weapon they're holding.

Elemental damage seems to factor into damage based on the user's element for sure, so a character with Earth element character is gonna deal more damage with Earth magic for sure.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
edit: don't even get me started on the weapon skill earrings that are worse than a +10 STR/DEX ring you can craft much earlier, much easier
Those are actually one of the few things working correctly. I've been deleting things by making Azelstan my Prism Ranger Grenadier and I'm also in Chapter 4 pre HG and WORLD with the gun earrings and while im sure its a build that is by no means future proof it is absolutely tearing things in half before targets can even get in range or have any MP to fire back. Same goes for my Folcurt TK who has the G.Sword one and Canopus who has the dagger one, their damage is basically very beefy before Folcurt can inflict Breach or Fear.

It actually makes your DPS pretty consistent from what I can tell. Also pro tip for anyone else who wants to make a grenadier with Fusiliers or Rangers as early as possible, if you can stomach some RNG manipulation head to to the Earth Shrine and farm the boss in the revisit. Drops Orichalcum rarely and it lets you make the Bow and Gun earrings prior to San Brosa. Also drops a elemental armor, the Nathalirk Mail which while the elements portion sadly doesn't seem to work rn (it will be a fantastic water unit armor to shore up their thunder weakness) it does provide a beefy 60 DEF which is pretty good for being found in Chap 4 pre Heim/HG and outside of POTD.

In a unrelated note I'm noticing the Tier II missle spells have the best Damage to MP ratio for where I'm at in the game. 20MP cheaper than Tier III spells and it's only like 40 dmg difference between the two tiers provided the elements of the spell match with the caster's element.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the post game actually makes more sense once I get there. Sounds complicated hearing about it. Just in CH3L at the moment.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the post game actually makes more sense once I get there. Sounds complicated hearing about it. Just in CH3L at the moment.
It should be pretty simple for people coming from Law, as you can theoretically have the easiest time making a CODA 1 Anchor point (you literally go into a straight line so to speak whereas other route players have to galaxy brain chart out how they're gonna Quantum Leap back for stuff they missed) with it and then double back for alt routes. Since I came in from Neutral and obtained Lord I kinda have to go the opposite way and do Chap 4 up through the first shop in POTD before I finish the game for the first time and travel back and do alt routes ending with law and doing Chap 4 for realsies with regard to POTD and a certain recruit I screwed up cuz I dropped my controller =X

Oct 25, 2017
Coda 4 done. Ended up being a straight shot "No WORLD" Law run, despite giving up on that intent at some point it was just never worth fucking around with WORLD in terms of overall saving. Going to do a fresh save for Neutral-> World rather than just going through it in one file.

I feel like a lot of the broken stuff is stuff that was just dummied out. There's an element of nuance that should be doing more that will help a variety of weapons and classes, but just enabling the blunt/pierce resistance and the elemental bonuses are likely to make casters even more powerful in their postgame than they already are.

My Coda 4 party had SEVEN damage casters. The core game has lots of interesting battle design but postgame is just like 100-200 "kill all enemy" battles and nothing can really compete with the total damage output of Poison Cloud and the Rank 4 AoE magics (or equivalent).

I hope that whatever patches come to fix stuff will make PoTD faster but I don't think it will. The balance focus was all on the core game and the I don't think any amount of stat tweaking is going to save a dungeon that is THAT long. IMO powering through it is more about doing WORLD and building up a dream team stacked with Green Cards and Charms.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Has the money glitch been patched? I can't seem to buy anything but Iron ingots at the shop. At the end of ch 3.

Edit.
Cant buy any ingots actually.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game was balanced around all of these mechanics being broken. At some point they went through PoTD and set all of the enemy levels, and I think it is way more likely that whatever was broken was broken before that level pass rather than them selecting levels on correctly coded version and then breaking it later.

PoTD is going to suck no matter what they do, but at least part of why it sucks is that people are treating it like pre-WORLD content rather than the post-WORLD thing to use all of your timeline hopping earnings.

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. The shop only sell trash crafting wise. Do the stock differ from town to town? Really hope this isn't permanent.
You are unable to buy ingots? You mean craft them correct? If there is any recipie that requires it you should be able to craft the ingots you need. As I never had any problems with Ingots or Ore until I required Orichalcum. That's really weird. If you wish to be more specific I can try and walk ya through it but that definitely sounds odd on the whole. I wonder what on earth might have caused that for your save file.

norn

Oct 26, 2017
Those are actually one of the few things working correctly. I've been deleting things by making Azelstan my Prism Ranger Grenadier and I'm also in Chapter 4 pre HG and WORLD with the gun earrings and while im sure its a build that is by no means future proof it is absolutely tearing things in half before targets can even get in range or have any MP to fire back. Same goes for my Folcurt TK who has the G.Sword one and Canopus who has the dagger one, their damage is basically very beefy before Folcurt can inflict Breach or Fear.

It actually makes your DPS pretty consistent from what I can tell.
it's possible that you are right about them working correctly, but the truth is all they're really good for is defense against that weapon type

i did a simple little test (which i'd done before to confirm that the earrings were not worthwhile investments), the results of which i will paste here:

arycelle & lindl (both lightning element so not a factor), both fusiliers, same weapons/weapon skill/gear, lindl 12 dex higher

(ring of deftness +1 on both)
Lindl -> Arycelle: 311 damage
Arycelle -> Lindl: 288 damage

(gun earring on lindl)
Lindl -> Arycelle: 309 damage (-2)
Arycelle -> Lindl: 267 damage (-21)

(gun earring on both)
Lindl -> Arycelle: 287 damage (-22)
Arycelle -> Lindl: 252 damage (-15)

this is pretty trivial to reproduce with any other weapon type. as a consequence, the only really worthwhile (term used very loosely) earring is probably the cudgel one on casters who can afford to fit their weapon skill, since it will be a small reduction in the amount of aoe spell damage they eat from enemy mages

of course there's no real reason to not use them if you already have them, but given how late they come compared to the stat rings and how inconsistent the defense portion of weapon skill is, it's hard to come away with any assessment other than they are a disappointing acquisition

edit: hybrids may be something of an exception here since an earring will boost both physical and magical damage, though in practice this is pretty much limited to lord, princess, & valkyrie and lord isn't wasting a skill slot on weapon skill in the first place

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
it's possible that you are right about them working correctly, but the truth is all they're really good for is defense against that weapon type

i did a simple little test (which i'd done before to confirm that the earrings were not worthwhile investments), the results of which i will paste here:

arycelle & lindl (both lightning element so not a factor), both fusiliers, same weapons/weapon skill/gear, lindl 12 dex higher

(ring of deftness +1 on both)
Lindl -> Arycelle: 311 damage
Arycelle -> Lindl: 288 damage

(gun earring on lindl)
Lindl -> Arycelle: 309 damage (-2)
Arycelle -> Lindl: 267 damage (-21)

(gun earring on both)
Lindl -> Arycelle: 287 damage (-22)
Arycelle -> Lindl: 252 damage (-15)

this is pretty trivial to reproduce with any other weapon type. as a consequence, the only really worthwhile (term used very loosely) earring is probably the cudgel one on casters who can afford to fit their weapon skill, since it will be a small reduction in the amount of aoe spell damage they eat from enemy mages

of course there's no real reason to not use them if you already have them, but given how late they come compared to the stat rings and how inconsistent the defense portion of weapon skill is, it's hard to come away with any assessment other than they are a disappointing acquisition

edit: hybrids may be something of an exception here since an earring will boost both physical and magical damage, though in practice this is pretty much limited to lord, princess, & valkyrie and lord isn't wasting a skill slot on weapon skill in the first place
the stat page doesn't tell the whole story with these earrings in my experience (due to w/e fuckery they've done to the formulas as far as what's dummied out and what isn't) because I noticed that too and similarly blanched cuz I was hype to use them but they definitely do lift your numbers up decently in battle, but it would still lose out to winged rings even with my positive experience using them but since I don't have access to winged rings at the moment, I do think it's worthwhile for making a Grenadier in Chap 4 if you wanted to make a walking buzzsaw given that the elemental shot damage ignores a decent amount of the DEF calculations to basically work like Gravity spells from what I've experienced.

But in complete fairness this is probably due to the elemental shots (and I'm hoping the dragon orbs) actually scaling off the earrings in combination with the elemental Shots damage calculation plus the elemental considerations of matching the element of the Ranger with the ammunition to always be the elemental weakness of the targets (which you can only really plan out only immediately prior to any given fight in the scout map so you'd need a ton of elemental charms).

But they're definitely useful in making Chap 4 less of a slog provided you RNG manip the Earth Shrine Boss for that early Orichalcum. I feel like I'm flying through maps after having gotten them. Just a shame it can't stand up to the winged rings cuz movement is always king and leg slot is too important to give to winged boots but the skill earring can make winged boots sting a hell of a lot less should a build require them should you be low on winged rings.

All that said though, I'd drop em in a heartbeat for warp rings. Style points > everything else.

Are daggers much better for Canopus? I kept him with bow+axe.
Axe and bow is definitely good, I went with dual daggers because he can become a Buccaneer and double attack and I really wanted to try out the dagger earrings I got, he basically can chunk enemy health decently before my Terror Knight has a chance to Fear and Breach a target, made him water because I have the water daggers on him as well for water averse to add even more damage to his strikes. He's a bit of a glass cannon but he can basically pressure any frontliners who happen to reach me or mop up any stragglers from my grenade and spell spam. I'm nowhere near the more difficult content but for where I'm at in Chapter 4 it's actually not doing too bad. Most of my time in battle is spent recruiting monsters with my Vartan Tamer for some long term plans I have in mind, it's how I would have played prior versions but the roster size didn't allow for it for long.

If you like using him with a bow though you may want to consider swapping his axe for a dagger because he's likely Wind element still in your file (he starts with it and his starting class synergizes with it with some of his passives) and the first dagger weapon skill is wind elemental, by matching his element with the finisher he's using he gets a damage bonus and if it's fired against a Earth unit it's either dead or horribly damaged since Wind has an advantage against Earth, likewise you can keep him with an Axe and turn him Ice to sync up with that finisher.

Last edited:

norn

Oct 26, 2017
the stat page doesn't tell the whole story with these earrings in my experience (due to w/e fuckery they've done to the formulas as far as what's dummied out and what isn't) because I noticed that too and similarly blanched cuz I was hype to use them but they definitely do lift your numbers up decently in battle
those were actual numbers from in a fight, not me going off of the (all-but-meaningless) stat page

it doesn't really matter either way (the game is nowhere near difficult enough to require optimization anywhere but certain pre-endgame spots and coda 4) but we are playing the same game and dealing with the same mechanics

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
those were actual numbers from in a fight, not me going off of the (all-but-meaningless) stat page

it doesn't really matter either way (the game is nowhere near difficult to require optimization anywhere but certain pre-endgame spots and coda 4) but we are playing the same game and dealing with the same mechanics
Ah ok my apologies for having misread (just got done with my day). That's a shame then, I appear to have mis-attributed certain improvements I've encountered.

norn

Oct 26, 2017
speaking of coffee potato, this thread on reddit goes over a lot of little foibles that he and other people are testing. probably good info to be aware of re: pitfalls & things that don't work, or work in a way you wouldn't expect.

racial resist on earrings working i guess does make them probably the best accessory, though i still maintain that is a disappointing bonus to have to go farm rare crafting mats for

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of coffee potato, this thread on reddit goes over a lot of little foibles that he and other people are testing. probably good info to be aware of re: pitfalls & things that don't work, or work in a way you wouldn't expect.

racial resist on earrings working i guess does make them probably the best accessory, though i still maintain that is a disappointing bonus to have to go farm rare crafting mats for
yea wyrm whisker's are needlessly rare. It's like one dragon 3-4 fights into Phorampa and the Thunder Shrine mega boss