• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Tactics game would you most enjoy or recommend today?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 86 30.0%
  • Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

Votes: 155 54.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Duh! All 3 are must play. Give us more!

Votes: 27 9.4%

• Total voters

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The story is all right. Nothing mind blowing but not bad. It's not Matsuno level.

The gameplay is incredible though. It might even surpass its predecessor, it's really well balanced and polished. The gameplay loop will satisfy that "Tactics" itch, trust me.

The soundtrack is very strong too. I bought it on Bandcamp.

I'm actually going to buy it based on just you saying it fills the tactics itch.

Did you or anyone else get the PS4 or switch version. Is the switch version playable (as in no weird slowdown or other issues)?

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I have, for a long time now, considered FFT my #1 game across all genres, but comparing it with TO, I'd say, for me, TO's gameplay takes a slight edge out over it. It's just that the story and characters and the way the entire presentation of the PSP version of FFT is just so amazing to me. That new game, though, I haven't played.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Recently got Fell Seal and while I got a few hours into it, I ended up dropping it for a while since I really wasn't clicking with the story/writing in general. The dialogue just sort of.. Annoyed me a bit for some reason. Not to mention the art style.

Gameplay was top notch, though, definitely have to pick it up again soon.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you build your character just right you can have some pretty broken folks too ;) probably not as OP as Orlandeau (no one is), but a battle mage with dual attack wrecks shit up~

Orlandeau isn't really the most OP in FFT. He is just the strongest character you get without putting in much effort.

A Black Mage or Time Mage with Calculate and high faith is probably the strongest single character build. It just takes a long time to get enough JP to acquire all the skills.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm actually going to buy it based on just you saying it fills the tactics itch.

Did you or anyone else get the PS4 or switch version. Is the switch version playable (as in no weird slowdown or other issues)?
I played it on PC. No idea how the Switch version is.

Orlandeau isn't really the most OP in FFT. He is just the strongest character you get without putting in much effort.

A Black Mage or Time Mage with Calculate and high faith is probably the strongest single character build. It just takes a long time to get enough JP to acquire all the skills.
Sure lol, I just never bothered with that, it's completely unnecessary.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
It appears my agenda to get into a good strategy RPG has been miscalculated by the assumption that playing Disgaea would scratch that tactical itch I've wanted recently. Don't get me wrong, I completed and loved Disgaea 1 and I'm now going through Disgaea 5 Complete, but I had to drop it because the grinding is just becoming ridiculous. Same problem I had with D1 but this one seems even more grindy!

Having played neither of the tactical rpgs mentioned here, would I have a better time with either FFT or Tactic Ogre, than with Disgaea? Does either game require the same silly amount of grinding that Disgaea does?

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Tactics ogre Let us cling together> all others.

Game is pure magic for me.

Now Ive gotta bust out the psp and both FFT and Tactics ogre.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
It appears my agenda to get into a good strategy RPG has been miscalculated by the assumption that playing Disgaea would scratch that tactical itch I've wanted recently. Don't get me wrong, I completed and loved Disgaea 1 and I'm now going through Disgaea 5 Complete, but I had to drop it because the grinding is just becoming ridiculous. Same problem I had with D1 but this one seems even more grindy!

Having played neither of the tactical rpgs mentioned here, would I have a better time with either FFT or Tactic Ogre, than with Disgaea? Does either game require the same silly amount of grinding that Disgaea does?

Disgaea is targeted at a specific niche of gamers who love grinding. I don't think any other SRPGs really compare.

The original version of TO required some degree of grinding, since it had a fairly punishing permadeath system through a good chunk of the game until you got the ability to revive characters. The PSP version is much easier, and I don't recall doing much grinding in it. There is a very long dungeon at the end that gets grindy, but it is optional.

In FFT, you will probably run into a few points where you have to do some grinding if it is your first playthrough. Compared to the other games, the classes and skills you choose to level up in FFT are much more important. There a couple story battles that are very tough without the right character builds, but the game does not communicate this to you at all, so you are very likely to be unprepared on your first time.

Out of the 3, I would say that grinding in FFT feels the most rewarding, because there is so much depth to its class system. Grinding there unlocks new strategies rather than just increasing character stats.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to a podcast gush over Fellseal and i got really excited when i learned it was on Switch. I watched a video preview of it and nearly puked at how bad the artstyle and animations are. No thanks.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

You literally picked the one series that is all about grinding. I'd say Tactics Ogre will be more your bag if you can play it. A pretty short but solid SRPG worth checking out is Front Mission 3 as well. If you've ever played a mech game it's the SRPG version of that. But Tactics Ogre on PSP is excellent if you're willing to put in a lot of hours into the game. I spent north of 100 on my first play through!

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to a podcast gush over Fellseal and i got really excited when i learned it was on Switch. I watched a video preview of it and nearly puked at how bad the artstyle and animations are. No thanks.

Yeah the artstyle is definitely the low point. The story is fairly generic too. The gameplay is really good though. The only issues I had gameplay wise is that a lot of combination are really overpowered. Even the first job in the game gives you the ability to wield a 2 handed weapon in 1-hand. Just imagine the rest! It can lead to some annoying situations later on where there are abilities making you immune to certain type of damage and the RNG can lead the AI to have these immunities too.

It's kind of unfair to compare it to Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics. Not the same scope at all.

If we take into accounts the upgraded ports I'd say I would go with Tactics Ogre PSP >> FF Tactics >>>>>>>>> Fell Seal

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Disgaea is targeted at a specific niche of gamers who love grinding. I don't think any other SRPGs really compare.

The original version of TO required some degree of grinding, since it had a fairly punishing permadeath system through a good chunk of the game until you got the ability to revive characters. The PSP version is much easier, and I don't recall doing much grinding in it. There is a very long dungeon at the end that gets grindy, but it is optional.

In FFT, you will probably run into a few points where you have to do some grinding if it is your first playthrough. Compared to the other games, the classes and skills you choose to level up in FFT are much more important. There a couple story battles that are very tough without the right character builds, but the game does not communicate this to you at all, so you are very likely to be unprepared on your first time.

Out of the 3, I would say that grinding in FFT feels the most rewarding, because there is so much depth to its class system. Grinding there unlocks new strategies rather than just increasing character stats.

You literally picked the one series that is all about grinding. I'd say Tactics Ogre will be more your bag if you can play it. A pretty short but solid SRPG worth checking out is Front Mission 3 as well. If you've ever played a mech game it's the SRPG version of that. But Tactics Ogre on PSP is excellent if you're willing to put in a lot of hours into the game. I spent north of 100 on my first play through!

tokkun and Sumio....your replies are *VERY* much appreciated!! Great info and thanks! I will certainly give TO a shot.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
The time is right for a new FFT installment. Hope we get one on the Switch, or even mobile at this point.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved FFTA. Could never get into FFT for some reason. Knights of Lodis is the only Tactics Ogre game I played and I loved it. Wish I could play that on my Switch.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tactics Ogre felt more ambitious and the routes had great variety, whereas Final Fantasy Tactics felt like a more crisp, stable product. I might give it to Tactics, if only because I had print-outs about recruitment and missables yet never once found myself annoyed with the sheer effort of managing it all.

Fell Seal is a very good game but I'm not sure it belongs in the conversation as a real competitor. I tried it, hoping to get back some of that old magic, but I was not desperate enough for it to feel like a real substitute. Tactics Advance and A2 deserve spots here before Fell Seal, easily.