• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ill give him a fair chance, he can stay away from outright comedy if he needs to. watch hunt for the wilderpeople.
theres barely any proper comedic moments .

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If his goal is to make it 'entertaining' ala action/horror aspects then I think that direction is fine. Taking it the comedy route would make it DOA in my eyes.

Oct 30, 2017
quite the wiseass over here, easy with the condescension man lol. I'm well aware of your meaning in the post. I don't think Watchmen was necessarily what he was referring to. more something along the lines of Beauty and the Beast or Van Sant's Psycho tbh.

i kind of don't see a massive difference here. both were extremely slavish remakes, both to their detriment. psycho more so, of course, but that was the whole point of that remake.

the way snyder's watchmen practically used the comic pages for storyboards certainly falls under what waititi is calling out here as a bad idea, unless he plans to do the same thing with the later books.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why exactly????

what about the storyline and themes of Akira need it to be set on Japan???

Umm, almost all of it? If you've read the manga, it's tied deeply to the post-war Japanese experience - politically and economically. Akira is extraordinarily Japanese. Other cultures can enjoy it and be enriched by it, but it is most definitely about Japan directly and singularly.

An awful lot of anime and manga could easily be transplanted to a different country ... This isn't one of them.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Blade Runner 2049 shows that general audiences don't care for cyber-punk. This movie is dead.
Hence maybe why they're courting him. He seems to realize already that straight cold humorless cyberpunk isn't hitting with audiences lately.
Respect to him for his conviction, but it would never get greenlit starring Asian American unknowns, sadly. Maybe one day, but not today.
Why not? You only need to set a precedent once. It doesn't matter when you do it.
Bad analogy, but people said the same thing to MLK. Gradualism is bullshit.
Things would never ever change if people didn't fight for things that everyone else repeats over and over again will "never" happen. It's only ever true because people like you keep repeating it and believing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
A lot of people don't understand nuance in this thread. It's either a comedy or its not apparently. If a guy makes funny movies, that must mean this new movie based on a decades-old foreign apocalyptic cyperpunk comic is going to be a laugh riot. I'd rather have a smart director on this known for their comedy than a dumb one known for their serious movies TBH

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Terry Gilliam should adapt a grant morrison comic like doom patrol. That would be nuts

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that he could do it. I think having a talented auteur is more important than anything. Someone who knows how to adapt the source into a movie.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I guess Waititi is mostly known for his sense of humour, but I find his handling of drama just as good. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a very funny movie, but it's also genuine and the drama works on just about every level. He's a fantastic storyteller.

I have a hunch he could do body horror right too. Not really based on anything, but I think there's a little creative macabre in him waiting for a good opportunity. This would be it.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's really dangerous to make these films very serious cyber punk. There was a time and place for that and there may be a time and place for that tone, again, but you have to make fresh takes on things.

You're trying to tell me that people don't want to watch some grim, self-important bullshit?

Why, I never.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hmm not sure that sounds good TBH. I'm fine with Akira material we have really.

Bringing humour to fundamentally preposterous material is one thing - and a little levity can fit almost anywhere - but Akira i'd argue thematically does need to be mostly played straight.

If they're worried about revenue and current trends not being right for a long, mostly serious SF film then honestly either don't make it or take the risk and make it good (Blade Runner 2049) and get the acclaim at least.

That said I'm not super keen on a live action Akira anyway. I feel it suits animation better stylistically.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I've always wanted to see the second half of the manga adapted but don't do it Taika, it's a trap. Making an Akira film in Hollywood is a fool's errand.
A prestige mini-series for HBO / Netflix / Amazon could work, despite the budgetary constraints.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if we watched the same film. The whole thing is a comedy.
It was lighthearted with comedy bits here and there but i certainly wouldn't call it a comedy in the sense what we do in the shadows was.
For the record , im not even a fan of him turning thor into a comedy even if he salvages something good out of trash.
it just doesnt set a good precedent.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I take it you didn't like blade runner 2049 then?

BR2049 is a top 3 film of 2017 for me so far. But it is neither grim nor self-important.

It has several moments of levity sprinkled throughout, whether it's the sombre, bittersweet moments with Joi or the sardonic, dry exchanges with Deckard. It also treats its characters and themes with the appropriate respect. It is a serious film but it is serious because it actually does the legwork with its writing instead of using tone to hit the viewer over their head with the subtlety of a Linkin Park video. Logan is also a very serious film but some of the most effective scenes in it are the "funny" ones.

I mean I know that there's this weird belief that tone somehow dictates how sincere or genuine a film is but Taika has shown over and over again that he can put some incredibly honest emotional moments within a very humorous context.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Even with the joi stuff BR still was very much a grim blockbuster. It's got such an oppressive tone and slow build to it as well as some of the themes in the film itself

People tend to throw around terms like "style over substance" and "self important" as solely being criticisms when in fact it also applies to some great films and isn't necessarily a bad thing

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are five whole books filled with artwork and stories that haven't been touched, so that is where the strength of the story would lie.

So are we looking forward to 5 films or are they somehow going to condense all the story in a single film?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
So are we looking forward to 5 films or are they somehow going to condense all the story in a single film?
I would think two films. One pre-awakening and one post.
Plus I believe there are only 6 volumes total and the divide happens right in the middle, I don't know which 5 books he's talking about. Maybe the english language version is different.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh? Even with the joi stuff BR still was very much a grim blockbuster. It's got such an oppressive tone and slow build to it as well as some of the themes in the film itself

People tend to throw around terms like "style over substance" and "self important" as solely being criticisms when in fact it also applies to some great films and isn't necessarily a bad thing

BR2049 uses a very grim backdrop to push inherently positive themes about hope and love. It does so very subtly and subdued, using those small moments of levity to great effect. Again, yes, BR2049 is a serious film but its tone and its text are never incongruent to each other. It doesn't use tone to mask a dumb story like, for example BvS does.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Pretty sure if Warner Bros. announces a Batman Beyond movie tomorrow, interest in cyber-punk will go up again.

It's all about super-heroes these days, the mashing of the genre! Make something successful enough, and folks will eat it up.

Batman is a comicbook property, of course it would make money.

I think it's a shame they'd have to plaster superheroes on that type of a project to spark interest in a genre to begin with.

Oct 30, 2017
Knowing Waititi's grasp on dramatic emotion in Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I don't really see him making Akira full blown comedy and agree that it shouldn't just be a live action version of Otomo's movie.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
ill give him a fair chance, he can stay away from outright comedy if he needs to. watch hunt for the wilderpeople.
theres barely any proper comedic moments .

huntforthewilderpeople-03.jpg

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Batman is a comicbook property, of course it would make money.

I think it's a shame they'd have to plaster superheroes on that type of a project to spark interest in a genre to begin with.
Shame, maybe, but if it gets people's interest rekindled, then...you know, it's for the greater good. For example, folks in general are a lot more open now for some old-school sci-fi thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy.

But in all seriousness...just admit it. A Batman Beyond movie done right would be majorly badass.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if they plan on still setting it in America.

I'd be shocked if they set it Japan in Neo Tokyo.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I like what he says but the manga wasn't exactly a bastion of comedy either. But yes, it's best to adapt the manga rather than the anime which already adapted the manga.

Hmmm... wonder what other recent movie should have took that advice...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm down for whatever the hell he wants to do. Just a plus what he is saying he'd like to do sounds interesting and worthwhile.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
He's being smart by avoiding going head to head with the movie, but i wouldn't be surprised if hollywood still fucks it up.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warner Brothers is probably still hesitant due to Ghost In The Shell and Blade Runner 2049. An adaptation needs a big budget but if they greenlight it with Taika Watiti and Asian American unknown leads, I'd imagine they reign in the budget some in order to minimize the risk and increase it's chances at profitability.

However Warner Brothers could be waiting on the performance of their film Crazy Rich Asians next August before greenlighting it.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Great ideas and I agree. Do you. Do not copy the original that is how things always go wrong.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'd love to see a big movie with some unknowns. I get that we enjoy certain actors for whatever reasons, but some stories need fresh faces, man.
And also, this is how you GET Asian-American movie stars. Plenty of WHITE unknowns become famous because they're given a chance in big or popular movies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And also, this is how you GET Asian-American movie stars. Plenty of WHITE unknowns become famous because they're given a chance in big or popular movies.

it could also help get some Western Asian properties off the ground and adapted if they can have some Asian American stars to lead it.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seven books? What? No.

Also, Akira is a very action-oriented story. The first three volumes is a bunch of different set pieces over and over. His directorial abilities to tackle that are extremely lackluster.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I like the guy but he's got a certain view of entertainment that isn't suited for everything, humor has its place in Akira but it isn't and shouldn't be a comedy. Cyberpunk can have humorous elements in it but it's a dramatic genre dealing with people living in a harsh 'high tech-low life' world and I don't think that Waititi's room talk buddy style suits this property, especially knowing it has some heavy political commentary in it.
Seven books? What? No.

Also, Akira is a very action-oriented story. The first three volumes is a bunch of different set pieces over and over. His directorial abilities to tackle that are extremely lackluster.
Also, this.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
You can say all the right things but that doean't make them a reality. If a studio gives you $100 million+ to make a movie for them then you are making their movie, not yours. Only a few directors have the pull to maximize the studio/director relationship and unfortunately for Mr. Waititi he isn't one of them.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Damn I thought Spike Lee already made the Akira live action
That was Oldboy

Yeah, I thought the acton scenes in What We Do In the Shadows were just serviceable.

Because I hope you're not solely judging by the Thor movie that just came out, that would weaken your stance considerably

Dude, the people in this thread who went and saw Thor and now think they have Waititi pegged as a director forever are making my eyes roll all the way back down the mountain

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That was Oldboy

Yeah, I thought the acton scenes in What We Do In the Shadows were just serviceable.

Because I hope you're not solely judging by the Thor movie that just came out, that would weaken your stance considerably

Dude, the people in this thread who went and saw Thor and now think they have Waititi pegged as a director forever are making my eyes roll all the way back down the mountain

wouldn't it make sense to judge the mans action filmmaking....based on the only action movie he's made at this point? lol this thread man...