• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Does anyone know where I could find the PS4 drums for less than around 100$? What about these knockoffs I see on Newegg? Also, is the us version getting the dlc?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ok. I guess my next question is about the Japanese cart. On most switch titles the carts have both Us and Japanese versions. With the latest title update, do we know if the US digital file is identical to the Japanese cart w/update.
I don't know. However, I remember that there were plans for the Japanese version to support English on the same day the game did release in South East Asia (9 August). I don't have the Switch game, so I can't check for myself, but I think everything went according to plan, so at least the Japanese version should support English.

May 23, 2018
Found out last night that there was a Taiko Festival running until today... so I had to marathon to get 150 points for the song unlock and the new Earth costume. Arms? Tired. Worth it? Yes.

Is there a reliable English Twitter account or somewhere I can follow (other than here) that posts updates on when these festivals are? I'm already upset I missed the last one (and my free CoroCoro song download).

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Guys sorry if I don't have the time atm to read through the whole thread, BUT:

I finally hooked up the Tatacon controller and I find it almost unplayable [Switch]. Sensitivity on the tatacon's skin is way too low, dunno if it's my model but wtf I need to go full contact heavy if I want my beats to register, basically I could only play this if neighbors weren't in the building, lol

Is this something you guys are also suffering from, an issue that is well known perhaps?

And if yes, what can I do? Are there simple mods to fix the tatacon's sensitivity?
There's nothing I could find in-game to change it.

Help?

Btw I'm a drummer irl so it's not like I'm unaware of how these things should work.
Also I haven't quite understood how the lag calibration works? It's not automatically adjusted like Guitar Hero, I need to calibrate it myself? I 90% play handheld but for the few times I want to use my sound system it'd be nice to have it calibrated for my tv's game
mode too.

Last edited:

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys sorry if I don't have the time atm to read through the whole thread, BUT:

I finally hooked up the Tatacon controller and I find it almost unplayable [Switch]. Sensitivity on the tatacon's skin is way too low, dunno if it's my model but wtf I need to go full contact heavy if I want my beats to register, basically I could only play this if neighbors weren't in the building, lol

Is this something you guys are also suffering from, an issue that is well known perhaps?

And if yes, what can I do? Are there simple mods to fix the tatacon's sensitivity?
There's nothing I could find in-game to change it.

Help?

Btw I'm a drummer irl so it's not like I'm unaware of how these things should work.
Also I haven't quite understood how the lag calibration works? It's not automatically adjusted like Guitar Hero, I need to calibrate it myself? I 90% play handheld but for the few times I want to use my sound system it'd be nice to have it calibrated for my tv's game
mode too.
Back when the game came out a lot of people were complaining about Tatacon controllers just kind of sucking. There was some nice talks about some simple mods to improve the controller on pages 5 and 6 of this thread.

This post has a nice, detailed guide and there's also a video posted a couple of posts after that. The mods seem to help quite a lot from what people were saying.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Long post incoming:

Alright, I went and did some mods to my tatacon a few days ago and I'm fairly satisfied with the result, so I thought I might as well write down what I did and how so that people who are interested but don't know where to start have something to go off of.

A fair warning though: modding your tatacon takes time and, more importantly, a decent amount of patience. This is something you will need to set aside a few hours for if you want the end result to be truly good. Expect to have to disassemble, tweak, reassemble and test your controller several times over.

Most of the steps I'm going to list are fairly safe and reversible so you shouldn't be too afraid of destroying your controller, but do handle it with care and don't blame me if you end up doing something stupid.

Also most of these steps are totally stolen from one of the old Taiko threads. Please don't sue.

Required Materials
Alright, so here is what you're going to need:
  • A PS4 tatacon.
  • A small Philips screw driver (I don't know the exact size but it needs to be thin since the screws are hidden inside tiny 2~3 cm deep holes).
  • A round plate of cork or cork trivet that is 16~18 cm in diameter.
  • An office hole punch.
  • A 1mm thick sheet of rubber. How much will vary depending on how well you conserve it but get one that is at least the size of an A4 paper just to be safe.
  • Some double-sided tape.
  • Scissors, knives, pens and other common tools you most likely have lying around.
All in all it's pretty cheap (less than $10) and most of it you can get from a hardware store.

Step 1: The Cork
The first thing you are going to want to do is unscrew the five screws on the back of the controller. Once they are all loose, carefully detach the front of the controller from the rear (they are connected with wires internally so you can't really pull them apart more than a few centimeters).

lFyVTNs.jpg

Next up you are going to want to detach the rubber skin by carefully pulling these little nubs on the side of it away from their slots. If you're a weakling like me this will probably hurt your fingers, so you might want to use a pair of tweezers or something similar to make it easier to grip them.

pJUrrSS.jpg

Once they are all detached you can simply remove the rubber skin to reveal a bunch of sensors, foam and plastic.

Hml8BdC.jpg

(Not pictured: the actual sensors, which are on the opposite side of the "lid". I'll show you them later.)

This pad of foam is what we want to get rid of, since it softens the blows and makes it harder for the sensors to react to light hits. Put it somewhere safe in case you ever need it again. Cork is a good alternative since it's a lot firmer while still providing some amount of cushioning (I know some players use solid wood but I've never personally tried this so I can't recommend it).

FLioF6c.jpg

Had this been a Wii/Wii U tatacon this would have been all we have to do, but because the PS4 tatacon has the section with buttons you are going to have to trim it a little bit. Try to figure out and mark what parts you will need to cut away. It might also be smart to cut away a tiny bit of the top near where the sensor wires go to ensure they won't get damaged by the cork pushing against them.

0fKJMcF.jpg

Don't worry if you cut away slightly too much. The sensors rest on a hard and firm plastic lid so it doesn't have to be perfect.

EJasKT9.jpg

Step 2: The Rubber
That's the quickest and easiest part done. Next up is the tiresome one. What you are going to want to do now is to patch up all the holes in the foam covering up the sensors on the sensor plate. This foam is there to prevent wear on the sensors, but it also makes it harder for the tiny little nubs on the inside of the rubber skin to make contact with the sensors. By filling in the blanks we reduce the amount of force needed for a hit on the skin to propagate to the sensors.

The cut-outs you get when you use a hole puncher are the perfect size for this. Go nuts on the rubber sheet.

U0yL19a.jpg

These are what you want:

B9NCoFw.jpg

Then, you are going to meticulously squeeze these into the holes in the sensor foam. Expect this to take a long time. Seriously. Put on some music or a podcast or something so you have something to entertain yourself with.

If the cut-outs are too big to squeeze them in by hand (like mine were) I suggest using a toothpick or something to make it easier to cram them in there.

qYSKCts.jpg

I left out the outermost holes for good measure because when I modded my previous Wii U tatacon filling these in would sometimes trigger false positives on the kat sensors.

Once you are done it's going to look a bit like this:

aZ9qYBf.jpg

Step 3: The Kat Sensors
Lastly, we are going to try to improve the kat sensors that run around the sides of the controller.

Still got some of that rubber sheet left over? Good. Tape one strip of double-sided tape to it and cut the taped segment into eight or ten 0.5 cm x 3 cm parts (about as long and wide as two kat sensors).

Then, simply remove the other side of the tape and stick them on the sensors in groups of two. You probably don't need to go all the way down since you will be hitting the edges on the top of the drum most of the time.

ofavbXs.jpg

The important thing here is that the combined thickness of the rubber and tape isn't too thick as this might make the kat sensors get stuck once you reattach the drum skin (this happened to me). If the tape already has some foamy thickness of its own it might be enough to simply ignore the rubber and use only the tape.

Finally, put the rubber drum skin back, tighten it and screw everything back together. Cross your fingers, plug the controller in and hope for the best. If it doesn't work as it should some of the sensors might have gotten stuck, in which case you will have to disassemble it again and fix it.

I took mine for a spin on Mada Saitama 2000 and cleared it, which I think is a good indicator that at least something went right.

PkI3NFe.jpg

(Don't worry, the terrible score and accuracy is my own skill's fault and not the controller's).

As for how sensitive it is, my controller is sensitive enough to react to light taps using just my fingers and very rarely, if ever, fails to register hits from the drum sticks playing it normally. I basically turned my 2-stars-on-Amazon controller into 5 stars over just the course of a few hours. It's as close to an arcade experience as you can get without, well, actually going to the arcade.

Moving Forward
At this point there are lots of other small little mods that you can do. One common thing a lot of Japanese tutorials recommend is to fill the inside of the controller with smushed up balls of tissue paper to reduce the noise level of the controller. Other players pack the insides of their tatacon with clay to give it some additional weight (and also reduce the noise a bit).

One thing I suggest is to always cover up your tatacon with a towel or something equally soft to both prevent wear and make it sound less. Another thing I usually do is prop it up on a pillow, which keeps it in place and stops the sound of me hitting it from echoing throughout the desk it stands on.

This post is amazing, tho it scares me a bit.
Would just replacing the foam with cork be already enough of an improvement?

Also is there something as well done as this post but in video form? Possibly in English (or Italian or Spanish... no Japanese please, lol)?

Thanks!

Edit:
Wait is this thread PS4 version only?

Edit2:
Back when the game came out a lot of people were complaining about Tatacon controllers just kind of sucking. There was some nice talks about some simple mods to improve the controller on pages 5 and 6 of this thread.

This post has a nice, detailed guide and there's also a video posted a couple of posts after that. The mods seem to help quite a lot from what people were saying.

Thanks!!!!

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This post is amazing, tho it scares me a bit.
Would just replacing the foam with cork be already enough of an improvement?

Also is there something as well done as this post but in video form? Possibly in English (or Italian or Spanish... no Japanese please, lol)?

Thanks!

Edit:
Wait is this thread PS4 version only?

Edit2:

Thanks!!!!
I'm afraid I can't help beyond that. I've never actually used the drum controller so all I can do is quote other people in this thread. Hopefully someone else chimes in later.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure this thread was originally made for the PS4 version before the switch one was even a thing. So I'm not actually 100% sure the controller mods are the same for the Switch controller. I assumed the controllers were the same, but thinking about it more it might not actually be the case at all. I think there was a separate thread made for the Switch version at one point.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Cheers mate I believe the only difference is that the Switch one thankfully has two "semi-holes" on the stand to hold 2 plastic water bottles to help it make it stand more firmly

blizzardjesus

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since with the Mayflash adapters allow either tatacon will work on ps4/switch, Which is the best one to get ps4 vs switch?

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Since with the Mayflash adapters allow either tatacon will work on ps4/switch, Which is the best one to get ps4 vs switch?
I like the PS4 edition a bit more it seems to have more depth to it, but then the Switch has those minigames. I would honestly look at the tracklist and make a decision based on that.

blizzardjesus

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the PS4 edition a bit more it seems to have more depth to it, but then the Switch has those minigames. I would honestly look at the tracklist and make a decision based on that.
I have both games digital, this is more about the physical drum. Since I can get either drum to work on both systems. I know there were some issues with one of them..

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I have both games digital, this is more about the physical drum. Since I can get either drum to work on both systems. I know there were some issues with one of them..
Oh sorry. Completely misread the question. Yeah, the Switch drums have gotten much better responses. The PS4 drums had some pretty bad sensitivity issues.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
asked in other threads but couldnt find an answer
anyone know what happened to butterfly on the switch version?
i cant find it in the dlc shop