• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
taiko-switch-english.jpg

Genre: Rhythm
Release Dates:
JP: 19/07/18
ROW: Soon? (https://gematsu.com/2018/07/bandai-...-master-drum-session-and-drum-n-fun-in-europe)
Price: 6,100 yen

[Note to importers: English language support is available in the JP version as part of the Day 1 patch]

Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_04-19-18_014.jpg

One feature of Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version! is the "Furifuri Performance" control method, where you swing the Joy-Cons like drumsticks to enjoy a Taiko Drum Master experience just like you were at the arcade. The "Don" note is hit with a straight downward swing of the Joy-Cons, while the "Kat" note is hit with a diagonal downward swing. HD Rumble is also supported, allowing you to feel each strike of the drums.

(Button and Touch control schemes are also available)

Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_04-19-18_004.jpg

Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version! also supports TV mode, table mode, and handheld mode, allow you to perform whenever and wherever. Additionally, up to four Switch units can connect and play performances together in local multiplayer.

Tracklist (I've bolded notable additions and tracks perhaps relevant to posters' interests):

Pop"Takane no Haneko-san" by Back Number
Pop"Tomo ni" by Wanima
Pop"TT -Japanese Ver.-"
Pop"Zenzenzense" from Your Name.
Pop"R.Y.U.S.E.I."Pop"RPG"
Pop"Natsu Matsuri"
Anime"Dokomademo ~How Far I'll Go~" from Moana
Anime"Howling" from The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of The Commandments
Anime"Be The One" from Kamen Rider Build
Anime"Itsumo Nando Demo" from Spirited Away
Anime"Aloha!!" from Pokemon Sun & Moon
Anime"Cha-La Head-Cha-La" from Dragon Ball Z

Anime"Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis" from Neon Genesis Evangelion
Anime"Odore Dore Dora Doraemon Ondo"
Vocaloid"Haikei Doppelganger" by Kemu
Variety"YouTube Theme Song" by Hikakin & Seikin
Variety"Grip & Breakdown!! Tatsujin Edit." by Touhou Project Arrange Sound Holic feat. Nana Takahashi
Classic"Tengoku to Jigoku Jokyoku" by Offenbach
Game Music"Jump Up, Super Star! Short Version" from Super Mario Odyssey
Game Music"Splatoon 2 Medley"

Pop"Mita koto mo nai Keshiki" by Au Santarou Soccer Ouen CM Song
Pop"Sugar Song to Bitter Step"
Pop"Memeshikute" by Golden Bomber
Pop"Train-Train"Pop"One Night Carnival"
Pop"Silent Jealousy"Anime"Lupinranger vs. Patranger"Anime"
Pop Team Epic" from the opening theme of the TV anime Pop Theme Epic
Anime"Yo-Kai Taisou Dai'ichi" from Yo-kai Watch

Anime"We Are" from One Piece
Anime"Odoru Ponpokorin" from Chibi Maruko-chan
Anime"Sanpo" from My Neighbor Totoro
Anime"Kimi ni 100 Percent" from Crayon Shin-chan
Anime"Anpanman no March"
Vocaloid"Juumensou Colorful Ver." by YM
Vocaloid"Onigiri ha Doko Kashira" by Yomii
Variety"Jounetsu Tairiku"
Variety"Bad Apple!! feat. Nomico" by Touhou Project Arrange Alstroemeria Records
Variety"Iro ha Nio he Dochiri Nuru wo" by Touhou Project Arrange Ryuuhei Satellite
Variety"ABC no Uta"Variety"Omae Butamen" by Oyatsu Company & The Puh
Classic"Kumabachi no Hikou" by Rimsky-Korsakov
Classic"Toruko Koushinkyoku" by Beethoven
Game Music"Kirby Medley" from Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Game Music"Pac Toy-Box" from Pac-Man Championship Edition 2
Game Music"Anzu no Uta" from The Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls

Performance Characters:

Performance characters are one of the new elements in Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version! Before starting a performance, you can select a performance character. Each characters possesses various performance skills, so be sure to challenge songs that you have never played before.

Guest Characters:

Squid from Splatoon 2
Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_05-14-18_004.jpg

Since Squid's skill lets you clear performances more easily, it enables even beginners to take on the challenge of a difficult song.

Kirby
Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_05-14-18_006.jpg

Kirby's performance skill is recommended for people who might say, "I want to beat the drums with better timing to the rhythm," or, "I want to barrage hit the balloon notes more successfully." Also, the "Kirby Medley" from Kirby's Return to Dream Land will appear in the game as a playable song.

Party Games!

Beach Volleyball
Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_04-19-18_016.jpg

Pollination?!
Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_04-19-18_017.jpg

Everyone Bon Odori
Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_05-14-18_007.jpg

Home Run Batter
Taiko-Drum-Master-Nintendo-Switch-Version_2018_05-14-18_009.jpg

Trailer:

Hori Drum Peripheral (7528 yen)
hori_taiko_no_tatsujin_drum_controller_1527673689.jpg

All quoted info and screens credit to Gematsu

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got a copy of the game and the drum on their way now.

Wish there were more songs though. Feels pretty anaemic so hopefully DLC pads it out with some more bangers.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I heavily expect not, but anyone able to test if the PS4 tatacon works with the Switch game?

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see how the motion controls feel. The drums look the same as the ps4 one which suffice to say left a lot to be desired. So I hope the rumble and accuracy of the motion gives it a better feel.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried some motion controls and it simply doesn't seem to work?

Not sure if it's due to my setting or something but IDK

Edit :

Seems like the problem was me being too close to the screen.

After distancing myself more motion seems to work fine for the most part.

Last edited:

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
My eshop version should have unlocked a few minutes ago. Got my code for the Gold Don-Chan too. Gonna head home in a couple hours to get some play time in. This will be my first switch experience with motion controls (at least until I get tired of it and switch to the pro controller). Even as a long time fan of the series I'm really only used to using buttons, mainly because the majority of my post-PS2 experience with the series has been the PSP, VIta, and 3DS entries. Is there any day one DLC up yet? I assume song packs will be up shortly.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Played it a bit. There was small patch in the beginning. I didn't see that "too long" loading times and/or unbearable lag. Game is good. I played with motion controls. It was just as I expected. Joycons are very much capable indeed. Also you don't need to swing too much, just a flick of wrist is enough and actually if you swing too much you sometimes get two hits; one going down and one for coming back up :)

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
If I've never played this series before but always had an interest in it, would this be a good spot to start? I played some of it in Osu but I kinda want the real thing.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Played it a bit. There was small patch in the beginning. I didn't see that "too long" loading times and/or unbearable lag. Game is good. I played with motion controls. It was just as I expected. Joycons are very much capable indeed. Also you don't need to swing too much, just a flick of wrist is enough and actually if you swing too much you sometimes get two hits; one going down and one for coming back up :)

Turning me around as I was all set on PS4 version after reading other opinions yesterday

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in the game, hoping for some impressions on the Hori drums one of these days too.
Really don't like the Switch tracklist though, when looking at what the PS4 game shipped with.

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
Played 10 songs and a couple of mini games, had great fun! Some songs seem locked behind song completion and medals in mini games. There is day one free dlc in the eshop aswell, it seems. Free song and character. Game launched in Japanese though and no clue if english is in there.

Also, the credit roll is strangely glorious (press + in options)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, the song list seems neat.

It does remind me that I should get back to playing those iM@s focused ones for Vita that I bought for super cheap while in Japan a couple years ago. I got decently far into them, alternating between them every so often, but eventually stopped playing for whatever reason; put them back in my case recently, but haven't touched them again yet and I'm admittedly unsure of how I was alternating at this point...

And then after that, maybe I'll import this...

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Played 10 songs and a couple of mini games, had great fun! Some songs seem locked behind song completion and medals in mini games. There is day one free dlc in the eshop aswell, it seems. Free song and character. Game launched in Japanese though and no clue if english is in there.

Wasn't it confirmed the Japanese version won't get English language patch till the day that the Asian version drops.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for someone to test the PS4 tatacon with this game (maybe with one of those PS4 to Switch USB controller adapters)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Played the demo. I don't know if it's my joycons, but the motion controls register *a lot* of false positives and it won't correctly distinguish when I'm trying to do the straight-down motion vs the sideways one. Which sucks, because the HD rumble is super good.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I was originally going to import just the game, but I ended up going full Taiko and ordered the drum controller as well. Can't wait!

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
So, I have the physical Asian version on pre-order. I currently have a JPN eShop account. If Namco releases DLC songs in the JPN version, would I be able to use it?

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Not a big fan of the motion controls (it doesn't seem to register every hit or the timing seems a bit off), but I've been back to getting some full combo clears on Difficult once I switched to using buttons. I guess I shouldn't mess with what's always worked for me.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo. The motion controls seem very spotty which is a shame as I'm awful at taiko games when I have to use buttons.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
Should I import it from Japan or wait for a physical version in the West? I heard a rumor that will be localized but I can't find the source of it :/
Should I also buy the drum? I haven't never played these games but it look really cool!

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Should I import it from Japan or wait for a physical version in the West? I heard a rumor that will be localized but I can't find the source of it :/
Should I also buy the drum? I haven't never played these games but it look really cool!
This is getting an English patch in August, so even though it is rumored to be localized (with plenty of supporting evidence, including an english localization logo having already been found), you should be ok buying it digitally or importing it once the patch is done.

Also, the more I play with the demo the less I like the motion controls, which suuuucks because I love the concept and when it works it really works. I keep getting double hits all the time for example, and the blue hit detection is spotty :( I wonder if it's my joycons.

Are there no calibration options in the game or something along those lines?

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Should I import it from Japan or wait for a physical version in the West?

Questions of navigability and language aside, the song list will likely differ greatly between a Western and Japanese release. If (like me) you are a fan of the songs in the Japanese version, I would get that (I got it on the eshop but to each their own); however, if you prefer American pop-music (and whatever they replace some/all of the anime music with) then wait for a western release. I can see the Namco originals staying the same, other royalty free stuff like the Classical pieces, but there's now way much, if any, of the J-Pop, Anime, and Variety songs stay. Of course, I'm basing this assumption on previous Japan->US/EU rhythm game conversions (such as the PS2 version of Taiko no Tatsujin).

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Yeah, not feeling the motion controls in the demo. The idea is obviously great and the rumble feels really good, but it misses / misreads tons of inputs. I bet there's a very specific way to ensure it reads at least most inputs correctly, but it would probably require such strict movements that it'd become too tiring and cumbersome.

After comparing tracklists I'm kind of thinking of grabbing the PS4 version anyway. (I'm not entirely sure why I never looked into it before.)

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully when the translation patch comes out language is a menu option and not set to the system; I'd like to leave it in Japanese when I play but be able to switch it for friends

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah just tried the demo and motion controls feel off. No idea how that guy on YouTube video is so good.

Really think I will have to invest in drum if I get the full version

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
The motion control feels off for me too. Edit: After several plays, it registers fine but I personally need to make more motion than light wrist motion. Has to be quick swift motions or else it doesn't register well

Last edited:

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
First DLC will be a Studio Ghibli pack on August 9th for 500 ¥ + Tax.

5 songs: One from Laputa as well as Totoro, two from Kiki's Delivery Service, and the title track from Ponyo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can any of you try and record a clip of any song? Seems like they disabled that but I have seen people sharing clips of the game

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Do they have traditional taiko stuff or is it all modern?

Song categories are separated into JPop, Anime, Variety (commercial songs/youtube songs/children songs), Vocaloid, Game Music, Classical (think western composers), and then Namco Originals. The Namco originals, which as usual makes up around a quarter of the song list, tend to be the more traditional sounding stuff (outside of maybe Natsu Matsuri in the Jpop section). However, that's not to say that ALL the Namco Originals are traditional, many are Jpop-y, or techno-y (and wouldn't sound out of place in something like Beatmania).