• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese drum rhythm game series first launched in 2001 with the release of Taiko no Tatsujin for arcades. The series first came to consoles with the release of Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatakon de Dodon ga Don for PlayStation 2 in 2004. Since then, it has seen 30 home console releases.

The latest home console release, Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun for Switch, has sold more than 600,000 units. A new versus mode called "Donkatsu Fight" was released today as part of a free update. Donkatsu Fight is playable both solo or with another player. In it, you attack by playing the drums well, use items to hinder your opponent, and try to reduce their HP to zero to knock them out. Otherwise, the player with the most HP when the song is over is the winner.
translated provided by gematsu - https://gematsu.com/2019/05/taiko-n...op-10-million-drum-n-fun-adds-new-versus-mode
original pr source

Oct 26, 2017
The game at retail in Japan is at 333,474 according to Famitsu this week. So if this is worldwide, that's 270k overseas roughly.

Also, can't help but notice Drum Session on PS4 wasn't mentioned in terms of sales. Wonder if it bombed overseas.

Oct 26, 2017
That's sell through though, shipment should be around 400k or so
More than 0 yes. lol 270k can't come all from overseas.

I don't think digital is a lot, even more for a familly game, but at least a bit it sold.

Whichever it is, I imagine overseas did pretty damn decently and likely far higher than BN expected, especially since it (as usual) got a digital-only release in NA. If I'm correct, this being at 600k worldwide might make it close to, if not already the highest selling Taiko game ever right? No game reached 700k did they, even on Wii?

Edit: Oh, looking at Game Data Library, the PS2 game in 2002 actually did, holy cow.

All 600k+ entries:

PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatakon de Dodon ga Don - Tatakon Bundled Set 64.002 / 743.334 Namco 24/10/2002
NDS Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: The 7 Island Adventure 60.250 / 693.164 Bandai Namco 24/04/2008
WII Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 114.610 / 658.783 Bandai Namco 11/12/2008
WII Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition 102.437 / 654.842 Bandai Namco 29/11/2012
NDS Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dokodon in Touch! 89.158 / 641.229 Bandai Namco 26/07/2007

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whichever it is, I imagine overseas did pretty damn decently and likely far higher than BN expected, especially since it (as usual) got a digital-only release in NA. If I'm correct, this being at 600k worldwide might make it close to, if not already the highest selling Taiko game ever right? No game reached 700k did they, even on Wii?
Taiko no Tatsujin Tatacon de Dodon ga Don for PS2 did 743.334. Meccha Taiko no Tatsujin DS almost got to it too, with 693.164 units sold.

But yeah, this entry is one of the best selling ones already.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Would anybody know if I import a physical copy from Japan, would the dlc work if I download it from the North America e-shop?

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Would anybody know if I import a physical copy from Japan, would the dlc work if I download it from the North America e-shop?

Looking for fellow Taiko fans here but this looks like the only recent thread.
I bought the controller via Amazon.co.jp and the game via the US E-shop (download version).

After that I registered for a Japanese Nintendo E-shop account and logged into it on my Switch. Then I loaded it with money from a point card I bought from PlayAsia and bought songs via the Japanese account.

Songs show up immediately on any account on the Switch. All of the names are romanized (they show up in English) and playable the moment you buy them. Nintendo isn't enforcing any 'real' region locking but there are some hoops to jump through.

If you consult this guide you should be set : https://www.gamesradar.com/3-easy-s...ch-for-imports-with-a-japanese-eshop-account/

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
That's real good numbers. Haven't played my switch version in a while. Need to get back on it.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Please forgive me if this thread last message is too old...
but i have not found a community thread about the game :/
I feel like this is borderline... sorry if it's inappropriate.

My sis brought her switch version for family summer vacations, updated and i bought her .... tons of stuff as DLC (funny since i don't buy piecemeal DLCs for myself)...

the Beat them up mode they added in the version 1.1.3 (donkatsu fight) is great great fun with all the evil items and the constant stream of DLCs brought back songs i dearly missed on top of some great new ones...

Let it Go (frozen) and Try Everything (zootopia) are in (fuyu yasumi anime pack DLC)
Entertainer (tatsujin challenge 4) and Kare Kano Canon (tatsujin challenge 1) are back (IEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEI)
Jingle Bells (tatsujin challenge 1) is great fun :P
Nutcracker, Romeo and Juliet, Hungarian Dance 5
(edit: I forgot the crazy kuraporuporusuka :P )
there are the dragonball tunes as well in a pack
In the latest singles, Marigold and Aino katachi are very nice
Ghibli tunes were surprisingly sweet to have and ... stuck to the head...

DLCs cost do add up (i think i bought for close to 6000 yens worth), but at least the game has much much improved in soundtrack with them , love it.

the official site has all the dlcs listed with the content:

I was cold at recommending the game in its first release, but now i am much much much warmer and we had great summer sessions... you have to be open to have to buy DLCs though.

I am seriously thinking about buying the game myself now despite the cost, i don't really want to wait next family holidays to play again, this version is becoming great... now i wish the joycons did not desync in the middle of extreme songs when i am close to full combo (at least i completed my 760K points Let It Go :P ).

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I missed this.
It seems like very good result for this IP. Hopefully that means future games are going to be localized as well.