• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 18, 2018
[UPDATE] new switch will have upgraded interactivity, improved display quality, and will enter production later this year.

I came across this information, reading An article on Flipboard. new Nintendo switch rumor comes from Taipei-based Economic Daily News.the Nintendo direct before September 16, 2020 comes from, David Gibson, chief investment adviser at Astris Advisory Japan.

TOKYO (Aug 24): Nintendo Co added another US$3 billion in market value in Tokyo today with retail investors on the Robinhood app cited as helping further boost the game maker's popularity.

Today's gains also followed a report in the Taipei-based Economic Daily News that Nintendo might launch a new version of its Switch console early next year, citing unidentified people in the supply chain. A more powerful version of the console has been rumoured in the past.

Investors and gamers alike are still waiting for Nintendo to reveal its slate of games for the rest of the year, with only Pikmin 3 Deluxe, a remake of a seven-year-old Wii U title, set for release in 2020. David Gibson, chief investment adviser at Astris Advisory Japan, said in a tweet last week that he hoped the company would hold one of its "Nintendo Direct" online presentations to announce new titles before a management briefing scheduled for Sept 16.

Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda. Yasuda is predicting a minimum of 23 million Switch units sold this year, well above Nintendo's own forecast of 19 million.

source: the edge market.com, article is writing by Gearoid Reidy and Ayaka Maki
https://www.theedgemarkets.com/author/Gearoid Reidy & Ayaka Maki

[UPDATE] According to VGC, the same source also mentions the new switch will have upgraded interactivity, improved display quality, and will enter production later this year

[Taipei-based newspaper Economic Daily News, claimed on Tuesday that the new Switch would enter production later this year, with a launch planned for Q1 2021.

According to the publication, the new Switch model will feature upgraded "interactivity" and improved display quality.]

source: GVC

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It would make a lot of sense. As soon as they said it wasn't coming in 2020 I was like, "okay, Q1 2021."

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Only reason I believe it is because of the sudden new Splatfest announcements. The last one is supposed to be early next year. So maybe it'll launch with a Splatoon 3.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Revised joycon drift fix or no dice. Far too many friends I know have had it

Interesting. I may be game if that is sorted, especially if that Mario 64 re-whatever comes to fruition

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting. I may be game if that is sorted, especially if that Mario 64 re-whatever comes to fruition

Iirc (feel free to correct me), to solve the drifting issue they would have to completely redesign the Joy-Cons. So don't expect that to happen until the successor.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Lol that would be hilarious if Nintendo announced release date and price before Sony or Microsoft

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
We're not getting a Splatoon 3 before the Switch 2. Same with a new Smash or Mario Kart
Splatoon 2 will likely drop out of the annual million seller club soon. They'll be motivated to replace it at that point.

Mario Kart and Smash are just in a totally different league and I doubt there's ever a year where they don't pull 3-5 million each.

OP
OP
Homer J Simpson
Dec 18, 2018
Iirc (feel free to correct me), to solve the drifting issue they would have to completely redesign the Joy-Cons. So don't expect that to happen until the successor.
That could mean new Nintendo switch version rumored to launch next year. nintendo might have been holding off to fix drift issue for switch pro redesign .

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018
Rumor already told us of a new, more powerful model in 2018 and 2019. All we got was the lite. I don't think I'll believe it this time. I'd like to be surprised.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
More info: http://www.emsodm.com/html/vip/temp/2020/08/24/1598239179207.html

TLDR:

• The new Nintendo Switch will begin production later this year and be released early next year.

• Macronix one of the official Nintendo provider for game carts is expecting record sales next year.

• Macronix will be supplying parts to Nintendo for this new model with better image quality and "interactivity".

Rough Revised Google Article Translation incoming:

Nintendo Switch next-generation model, Q4 2020 inventory accumulation started according to Taiwan media

Taiwan's leading paper "Economic Daily" (August 24, 2010) reported as a story of Taiwan industry sources. The same source pointed out that Nintendo is currently working on a new model with enhanced interactivity and image quality, while Nintendo Switch's sales continued to be strong due to the demand for home that emerged with the new coronavirus. The company said it will start stockpiling in the fourth quarter of 2020 at the earliest.

Furthermore, the same sources include NOR flash memory (NOR flash), read-only memory (ROM) for game cards Macronix, PixArt for sensor for game pads, and Weltrend for power management IC. ) Taiwanese companies have entered the supply chain of next-generation models.

The same sources claimed that Macronix is the exclusive supplier of Nintendo Switch game card ROMs, and that it is expected to sell nine games per Nintendo Switch, meaning that Macronix's ROM shipments for the console are nine times larger than those for the console itself. The company said it would go up. About Weltrend, the same source said that it has been supplying power management ICs etc. to three major game consoles, and has been supplying USB PDs for chargers to Nintendo Switch since 2019.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what crazy price Bergsala would give it in the Nordics, they already raised the price with the battery revision. Would be tempting though if it launches before BotW 2.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, 2021 is too early for a successor, if there's any truth to this, it's about a Pro model similar to the mid-gen refreshes of XOne and PS4.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I was curious about the joycon drift in the past, and found out the manufacturing defect for Nintendo joycons is so standardized, this revision needs to be applied to all mainstream controllers and the aftermarket replacement parts. I was told even the aftermarket replacement parts can also drift, so there's really no hope in having a non-drifting Joycon.

I think the PS5 controllers and Xbox S controllers should have the revisions, so they don't drift that easily.

I'm hoping to see Nintendo applies the revision to their next joycon manufacturing process, so that even the replacement parts can start to benefit from the revisions.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo has wanted to be Apple for a while so them releasing a Switch 2 only 4 years after the original Switch came out would be on brand. It would also explain the relative lack of game announcements recently (even before the pandemic).

A Switch 2 with full Switch 1 BC, launching alongside a few key exclusives (say BotW 2, a new Mario Kart, and a new Splatoon) could do very well even though it seems early for a Switch replacement. Would also make it easier for it to keep getting 3rd party releases.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
A March release like the Switch then?, if that's the case they could announce it soon and put it up for preorder before the holidays.

A new model to launch with BotW 2 would make sense.

I'm honestly kinda hoping for this, I'll still be happy with the game on the current switch but it would be really nice if the sequel could get a resolution bump with maybe some DLSS upscaling to 4k.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
March 2021 Switch Pro and BotW 2.

Makes perfect sense.

https://udn.com/news/story/7253/4804253

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
For those who are interested, here's the actual Economic Daily News from UDN, which OP forgot to link it here. Threadmark this, or add it into OP, please.

udn.com

新Switch備貨 台鏈補 | 聯合新聞網:最懂你的新聞網站

宅經濟帶動任天堂Switch遊戲機大賣,供應鏈傳出,任天堂乘勝追擊,正打造下一代Switch,最快今年第4季開始備貨,明...

Translating this a bit in real-time:

• New Switch will begin production as soon as Q4 2020 FY. Will be geared to launch in Q1 FY 2021.
  • Macronix, Pixart, and Weltrend are included on the list of new manufacturers for the next-gen Switch.
  • New Switch will have better interactions/communications (transliterated as "more interactivity"), and will have a new display quality (which may refer to a more crisper output, not necessarily a resolution bump).
  • Macronix is the manufacturer that produces the NOR Flash chipsets, used for storage media on the Switch.
  • Pixart is the manufacturer that will produce the next-gen Joycon controllers, including the hand gesture sensing.
  • Weltrend is the manufacturer that produces and designs the USB-PD on the Switch.

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
A March release like the Switch then?, if that's the case they could announce it soon and put it up for preorder before the holidays.

Nintendo has something for this years holidays. It's called evergreen software and a price advantage, possibly a price drop during them.

They would be stupid to hype up new hardware then, these holidays belong to the next gen consoles no matter what.

But a possible March release when the others enter the first "calmer phase" with BotW 2 might work out, yes.

IF this is true. IF.