• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

So many casuals here only playing one game at a time

Channel News Asia said:
TAIPEI: An elderly Taiwanese man who first found Internet fame for playing Pokemon Go with multiple mobile phones strapped to his bicycle has raised his game with an even bigger set-up.
Chen San-yuan, affectionately referred to as "Pokemon Go grandpa", has been seen recently with 30 smartphones on his bicycle.

A video circulating on social media shows him pausing on his bicycle to methodically spin Poke Stops on each screen. The locations of the virtual Poke Stops correspond to real landmarks, which encourage Pokemon Go trainers to take to the streets in order to gather more "resources".
By spinning or interacting with Poke Stops, players obtain 50 experience points as well vital items.

The Pokemon Go enthusiast, who is in his 70s, started out with only six phones strapped to his bicycle. He has steadily increased that number and earlier this year, he was spotted with more than 20 phones on a new frame.

According to a report by Mashable Southeast Asia in March, Chen's enthusiasm for the popular mobile game caught the attention of Taiwan-based multinational computer and phone hardware company Asus.
The technology giant made the him the ambassador of their Asus ZenFone series, and gave him 22 Asus ZenFone Max Pros for his hobby.

"There's a lot of fun, I can connect with people, prevent Alzheimer's disease," Chen was quoted saying of the mobile game.

Earlier this year I made a topic about Mr. Chen once he reached 21 phones. Little did I know that it was only 70ish% of his true power. Hell, 30 probably is just Super Saiyan 2. We got Ultra Instinct to look forward to in the future.

This tweet chronicles his humble beginnings.

taiwanese--pokemon-go-grandpa--levels-up-with-30-phones.jpg

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He looks fantastic for his age. What a funny little story. Also Asus makes phones? I wish they would bring them stateside.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
If I were him, I'd get another set of 30 phones, and build a mechanism that would let me wear 60 phones on my back like angel wings.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Saw this a long time ago. He does it for the social aspect mostly is what he said. He finds the interactivity with other people fun about it and having many phones makes it for people finding him useful so they approach him.

Last edited:

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
There's got to be a way that you could link the phones so you only have to interact with one screen and it would affect them all. Having to spin a Pokestop or catch a Pokemon on 30 different phones would be exhausting.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I though this was going to about a grandfather who has to play Pokemon go for his 30 lazy grandkids.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
So I guess he has a couple phones that he sets as hotspots, and bounces off of them for the data? Or does Taipei have city-wide wifi?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Could have sworn this was old news? I'm not trying to be snarky. Felt like I saw something on this last year.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I don't understand.

Like with 2-4 he could use the extra accounts to battle raids by himself he couldn't do with one phone, but he can't physically interact with 30 at once so it's just busywork for no real reason, other than the fact that he can.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
He should show up as an NPC in a future mainline Pokémon game lol, for real.
Or in Let's Go Johto, I guess it'd make more sense there.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand.

Like with 2-4 he could use the extra accounts to battle raids by himself he couldn't do with one phone, but he can't physically interact with 30 at once so it's just busywork for no real reason, other than the fact that he can.

I think that's the point. He's doing it just to keep himself busy and active.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
This kinda adds up with my experience with PoGo raids. It's been a while but grandpas and grandmas playing this game are not there to mess around.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope to have a quarter of his passion for something when I am at his age

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in SF I frequently see this old Asian man that has this rig with 3 phones playing Pokémon go. It's fascinating.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm so curious what I'm going to be like in retirement.

That may be too optimistic. I'll probably have to work until I die.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I really want to catch an armored Mewtwo but I don't have five friends to go with me. Might just set this up too.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Could have sworn this was old news? I'm not trying to be snarky. Felt like I saw something on this last year.

It's not old, but the number of phones he uses keeps increasing. When he was first in the news he had something closer to 15 phones.

I don't understand.

I wonder a lot if we have to start thinking of this stuff not as "holy shit he super saiyan" and "if it wasn't Pokemon Go he'd be playing slots/pachinko." The only reasons to run that many accounts at once are a) he's selling accounts, which is possible but doesn't seem likely, or b) to gain more chances at high-IV/perfect/shiny pokemon. Since the chance of shinies/perfects are basically random, you can think of this as more chances to roll the dice. I've seen people in my local community that also run lots of accounts (double-digits, I think, but not 30), and they exhibit what seems like compulsive behavior to me.

Lots of people multi-account in the game now, especially in winter when raid numbers are lower. But there's a split between people who do it just to do raids short-handed, and people who fill their gyms with their accounts/shave other people on their team to do so. The people who do the latter are the scum of the earth.

Last edited: