• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
People were once asking me why I felt that major publishers would make crossgen games and crossgen ports instead of relying on backwards compatibility.

Well, here is the answer from the horse's mouth.

Andrew Uerkwitz - Oppenheimer & Co., Inc.

Yeah. Thank you. Thanks, gentlemen, and Lainie. One of the big benefits I think GTA V experienced was the fact it was such a great game that when a new console cycle came, people all went out and bought it again. Sony and Xbox tend to talk a lot about forward-backwards compatibility. Does that change that dynamic as we approach the next console cycle because it looks like Red Dead could easily have the legs to last for multiple years?
Strauss H. Zelnick - Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Yeah. I don't think backwards compatibility is actually all that important. I think the reason that we had such a great experience with Grand Theft Auto V when we brought it to new generation is, first of all, the content was meaningfully updated with amazing new features. And secondly, because the title was so extraordinary that it remained the standard bearer for the new generation straight through until the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 because nothing stood up to it technically or creatively. So, how Red Dead Redemption 2 fares going forward, it's hard to know, but it's certainly off to a great start.
Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...ttwo-q2-2019-results-earnings-call-transcript

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for the heads up not to buy a current gen console version of RDR2

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that companies want you to buy their games again instead of giving you more mileage out of the games you've already purchased.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Amazing new feature of re releasing of the GTA V was the horrendous input lag, so basically this answer is "fuck you gave us money"? As far as I know RDR 1 holds up pretty well in 4k. Without me paying single halĂ­Ĺ™, ehm cent.....

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because money.

Yeah, no one could've figured that one out. You've cracked it all by yourself, Nirolak.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Take-Two wants you to buy newer versions of the same game?

source.gif

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Even if backwards compatibility is available, I do think that a publisher should still release updated/remastered/improved ports with new additions for the fans that want the extra perks.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
You're kinda putting words in his mouth there, he basically just PR-bragged specifically about GTAV. But it would be nice if they followed through on this sentiment and updated/re-released their older games that aren't GTA

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Boy howdy, that's a tacky look.

It's fair enough from their point of view, but I think this feels silly as a buyer because I understand how impractical it would be for every game to be ported (assuming I wanted to spend the money over again). I somehow doubt even something cool and distinct like Rockstar Presents Table Tennis will ever see a second release, but I still get to play it either physically or digitally on BC. Heck, I bought a digital copy even though I own it physically as a sort of "thank you" tip.

It feels bad seeing a company basically downplay the value of something they're currently doing that I get a lot of value out of.

Last edited:

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
That's fine and dandy for those popular games that gets remastered. But what of the many games that don't? Many of my favourite games never been remastered and I doubt they ever will be.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Makes me wonder if a publisher can specifically request that a game not be backwards compatible. Like RDR2 won't work digital or physical on PS5 because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its kind of ironic because RDR1 remastered already kind of exists. Just pop your old 360 disk into an Xbox One X and boom RDR1 at 4K.

I'm sure that's more of a Microsoft thing though. From what I understand they do most of the heavy lifting on getting a game to work via backwards compatibility. It's really going to be up to the platform holders to make backwards compatibility a thing.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
He was asked if a potential re-release of Red Dead Redemption 2 would be complicated due to Microsoft & Sony's push into backward compatibility and essentially says 'No' - primarily because what made Grand Theft Auto V's remaster so unique previously was "the content was meaningfully updated with amazing new features" not the absence of competing backward compatibility industry standardization.

And honestly, on that - I thoroughly agree.

Let's stress this. Rockstar spent a year upgrading the visuals of the product to make it look current-gen, they added qualify of life touches, and they altogether added a new way to experience the game...in first-person. The online portion is better, too, obviously.

If they go that far with a RDR2 on next-gen, they will have earned that $60 again in the minds of most consumers.
The real question is, how many publishers will have developers put in that much work on a title remaster? Certainly not many, as very few titles can financially justify it.

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
You're kinda putting words in his mouth there, he basically just PR-bragged specifically about GTAV. But it would be nice if they followed through on this sentiment and updated/re-released their older games that aren't GTA

Strauss H. Zelnick - Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Yeah. I don't think backwards compatibility is actually all that important.
???

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have an upgraded RDR2 like GTAV got than a simple BC solution, so in this case I'd agree.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the take two remarks...you could swap them out for another third party and they'd most likely say the same exact thing

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I agree considering the improvements and new content GTA V re-release got.

Re-releasing RDR2 on next gen consoles would be much better than just backwards compatibility.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
So instead of 'enhancing'' the game for the next gen consoles like they did with X/Pro (without the need for you to rebuy the game) they are going to do a remastered version for cash grabbing. Lol fuck you.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprising, if I was a publisher I'd like to sell the maximum amount of games possible. In the very specific case of GTA V, the performance was really terrible on last gen consoles. Of course, the counter argument here is RDR one Xbox one X BC.

Luckily, I would assume hardware manufacturers will be incentivized to include BC next gen with everything being X86 now.