• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Microtransaction/DLC revenue made up 48% of Take-Two's revenue despite NBA releasing.

Edit: Err, that should have said up 66% year over year, but you get the picture.

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2315089

Net revenue was $443.6 million, as compared to $420.2 million in last year's fiscal second quarter. Recurrent consumer spending (virtual currency, add-on content and microtransactions) grew 66% year-over-year and accounted for 48% of total net revenue. The largest contributors to net revenue in fiscal second quarter 2018 were NBA® 2K17, Grand Theft Auto® Online and Grand Theft Auto V, WWE® SuperCard and WWE 2K17, and XCOM® 2.

Digitally-delivered net revenue grew 31% to $302.9 million, as compared to $230.8 million in last year's fiscal second quarter, and accounted for 68% of total net revenue. The largest contributors to digitally-delivered net revenue in fiscal second quarter 2018 were NBA 2K17, Grand Theft Auto Onlineand Grand Theft Auto V, XCOM 2, and WWE SuperCard.
"Our positive momentum continued in the second quarter, enabling Take-Two to deliver another period of better-than-expected operating results," said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman and CEO of Take-Two. "Grand Theft Auto Online delivered its best quarter yet, Net Bookings from Grand Theft Auto V grew year-over-year, and we enjoyed the successful launch of NBA 2K18, which generated growth in both units sold and recurrent consumer spending.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I have my doubts that RDRO will be able to achieve the same as GTAO but I do expect it to take some people away from GTAO and create a pretty healthy audience of it's own.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
The largest contributors to digitally-delivered net revenue in fiscal second quarter 2018 were NBA 2K17, Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V, XCOM 2, and WWE SuperCard.
I get what the other games are bringing to the table, but XCOM 2? Does that game have microtransactions or is this referring to the expansion?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Much exploitation. Many whales.

Videogame consumers are the worst. Probably up there with those people that spend $30 on Steam cards that have their waifu on them.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Who are all these microtransaction people? I feel like there's a completely different type of gamer than me out there and I'm clearly in the minority.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If people want an explanation for why publishers are creating GaaS, look no further than the recent financial reports.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Whelp.. .. The stock I own from them and Activision-Blizz have both more than doubled since I bought.... can't beat them join them??

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTAO has had many money glitches (hooker, free custom wheels when selling cars, ...), PS4 has no modding/scriptkiddies scum though so you're always safe. Must be the casual noobs who spend actual money there!

Bud23

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don´t know how reliable SuperData is, but for context purposes....

DATA-Console-slider-2.jpeg

Nuts

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The casuals/mass audience, I would assume. Don't forget - we core gamers are the very, very small minority.

I think people would be surprised to learn that it's not so much 'the casual audience'. It is the 'core' console audience that is spending on in game content.

The console installed base has a higher % of whales than mobile or any other platform.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how the industry can think GaaS is sustainable as a whole. Most of these whales play/buy very few games and only spend money in those few select games. Take2 wont have an issue with any new GTA game gaining lots of whales but most other games wont see huge revenue like that.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
And that's why many want in on that sweet,sweet GaaS train. Next time people ask "Why?" we should just show them this thread. Or just have it pinned with the appropriate title :)

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
I think people would be surprised to learn that it's not so much 'the casual audience'. It is the 'core' console audience that is spending on in game content.

The console installed base has a higher % of whales than mobile or any other platform.
I think saying 'the casuals' is just an easy way of thinking that core customers would never be so stupid as to be duped by dumb dumb micro-transactions, lootboxes and the like. But it only follows that the people who buy the most games in a year, would also be willing to spend more money on every game they buy to keep up with the latest content being delivered.

Oct 27, 2017

Really? Hmm, interesting. I'm assuming it's none of us in this forum or a very tiny percentage of this forum who are spending this money.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Really? Hmm, interesting. I'm assuming it's none of us in this forum or a very tiny percentage of this forum who are spending this money.
Go into any thread announcing a season pass or dlc for a game. you will find dozens of posters at any given time saying how ready their wallets are. For posters that spend more on micro transaction just hope over to the hangout section and lurk on a topic and you'll see some posters admit.

Oct 27, 2017
Go into any thread announcing a season pass or dlc for a game. you will find dozens of posters at any given time saying how ready their wallets are. For posters that spend more on micro transaction just hope over to the hangout section and lurk on a topic and you'll see some posters admit.

Wow, ok. Well, this is the future, no doubt, whether some of us like it or not.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We are not the core though. We are the "enthusiasts"

Big difference. Your average gamer isn't spending hours a day online talking about video games. That's the niche enthusiast crowd

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
That many people here buy Season Passes / microtransactions?? I knew allot of people here bought Overwatch cosmetics as well as Destiny 1 / 2 Season pass since the game is very incomplete without the expansions and you quickly run out of things to do. But for other games like Assassin Creed, Wolfenstein II, South Park, Shadow of War, etc the DLC stuff always seems rather half assed with the addon levels mediocre at best (and usually subpar with recycled content), I thought most people here skipped on that stuff.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To think we came from horse armor dlc to this. Crazy

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The casuals/mass audience, I would assume. Don't forget - we core gamers are the very, very small minority.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...e-and-mobile-is-not-as-big-as-it-seems-newzoo

"Despite many misconceptions, Big Spenders on mobile are the core gamer demographic we see on other traditional platforms. Globally, 67 percent of mobile Big Spenders are male with the majority aged 21-35. More interestingly, they spend big cross-screen, with 71 percent of them also spending big on console and 69 percent also spending big on PC. This is in stark contrast with the average mobile gamer, of whom 11 percent spend big on console and only 8 percent spend big on PC," Newzoo said.

714x-1

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-30-core-gamers-can-be-whales-too

I thought about the fact that I'm still struggling with half-hearted excuses for buying a PS4 when it launches here next month, despite the fact that there's nothing I actually want to play on it yet. I thought about the game soundtracks I've bought, and the art books, the posters, the t-shirts, the models. I thought about the gigantic models of Anubis and Jehuty from Zone of the Enders 2 that I've been pointlessly lusting after for the past few months. I thought about paying vastly over the odds for sub-standard food and drinks in Square Enix' cafe, just because they're named after items from Final Fantasy games, and the fact that this experience hasn't dissuaded me in the slightest from planning to drop in to the Dark Souls cafe next week.

I thought about all these things, all the investment of time and money they represent. I thought about the fact that I'm actually the thin end of the wedge in this regard, with many gamers I know spending far, far more of their income than I do on their hobby. I thought about all those things, gently exhaled, kept my eyes unrolled and instead managed a steady-voiced "oh, that's interesting - have you got most of the things you want by now?" We chatted about my friend's obsession and his investment in the game like proper sensible adults, because having thought about all those things, I realised something very important - I hadn't got a bloody leg to stand on. And neither do you.

Nobody here wants to admit it though.

Last edited: