• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Strauss Zelnick is their CEO, for reference.

Strauss H. Zelnick - Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Thanks, Ben. Look, I think the key lesson from GTA Online, remember we launched that title four years ago, so we certainly have learned a lot from what we knew four years ago. And one of the things that we learned is, if we create a robust opportunity and a robust world in which people can play delightfully in a bigger and bigger way that they will keep coming back and they will engage and if there is an opportunity to monetize that engagement. And we've announced that there will be an online component to Red Dead.

And furthermore we've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending options for every title that we put out at this company. It may not always be an online model. It may not, probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there'll be some ability to engage on an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board.
And that's a sea change in our business, and recurrent consumer spending is 42% of our net bookings in the quarter. It's been transformative for us and the only reason it's transformative for us is because it's transformative to our consumers. The business that once upon a time was a big chunky opportunity to engage for tens of hours or perhaps 100 hours has turned into ongoing engagement, day-after-day, week-after-week. You fall in love with these titles and they become part of your daily life.
Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
This is in no fathomable way surprising GTA Online has made them money that other game developers and publishers could only dream of. Hopefully, it won't get any worse forcing the grind for those who don't pay up than it already is.

Deleted member 62

That's what what makes the most money for companies, and it's what gamers apparently want.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, Red Dead Online and microtransaction pretty much confirmed.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

89HANHg.gif

url

BobbyBoulders

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care as long as they keep it separate from their single player aspect.

I'll gladly buy RDR 2/ The Next GTA/ ETC, play through single player and never touch the "ONLINE" part

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
To the surprise of absolutely no one...

Better hope for those custom multiplayer mods if you want to avoid this garbage. Or prepare to grind for the rest of your life.

Looking forward to buying bank parcels in Red Dead Redemption Online.

It'll be Buffalo Bucks, just watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Smart way to do business, honestly. I see no surprises here. Why let people buy everything? For a business to continue to make money, they need to always have something to sell to someone.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I bet they do.

Don't kneecap your campaigns like Wardor and NFS did and maybe you'll pull it off. Ruin your game balance by demanding further tribute and people will flee from that game.
So much for video games being art.
Oh it's art. Sold piecemeal over the course of months, with extremely little regard in the viewer ever seeing the complete picture.

It's art that the dealers have no faith in and the artist has no say in.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well, aren't they doing that already?

GTA 5 has GTA Online. That's huge when it comes to microtransactions. Then they have NBA 2k which is horrible in that regard (do not buy it, ever). Civilization and XCOM have DLC - especially Civ always has a lot. Remember that RCS isn't ONLY microtransactions. I doubt they will put them in the next XCOM...

...I hope they will not.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I feel for the poor consumers spending monies on these schemes designed to fuel your dopamine.

(Says a guy who spends money on useless shit himself to spike that dope).

I've yet to buy a game brand new as of last year. Sorry devs, but this is on he pubs, and you are made to suffer it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hiya dere Pardner, may I interesy you in some quality lootboxes? I guarantee at least one golden skin, I swear on my rotting dog's corpse!

Nov 1, 2017
Y'all paid for this by supporting cut content via DLC/season passes etc. so this is the next logical toll booth for games. There's no going back now.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
No shit, GTA Online is a money-printing behemoth almost unrivalled in this industry.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't they? I mean, most mediums have recurring methods of payment from customers. Music has concerts, record and streaming. Books have hardback, paperback and pocket. Movies have theatre, Blu-ray, dvd, tv and streaming. Games have a tiny cramped window to release and is pretty much dead sales wise afterwards. Not having it is pretty much stupid, from a business point of view, if you're making a AAA game.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
And they will get it.

People will pay £8 for an off-white speckled stallion in RDR2. I won't mind. I might not even buy RDR2. Or play the single player and sell it.

That would be recurrent player compensation by the way T2

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Still haven't bought GTA V. Proud of myself.
I mean, considering they're making all of their money from GTAO and not GTA5, you not doing so isn't sending any sort of message.

Dare I say, speaking with your wallet, in this case, would mean you bought and enjoyed GTA5 but completely ignored GTAO, never once logging in to it's service.

So I guess we shouldn't expect much SP DLC going forward then.
It makes me wonder how the ballad of gay tony did in the end. I'm sure it wasn't GTAO money, but for that revenue stream to be completely ignored...couldn't have been a lot.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess we shouldn't expect much SP DLC going forward then.
I think you might see some in something like Ken Levine's next game, which based on an older job postings, I think might work like the new Hitman did.

Mind, that's a game with a 30 person team, not a 300+ person team like Borderlands 3 or 1000+ person team like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Claude

Oct 27, 2017
Gross, but it makes sense from a business standpoint. Especially if there's a market for that kind of thing (which there is).

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
They should have taken it a step further and let you buy the original protags from across the GTA series to use in multiplayer. Bank on nostalgia.

Why stop there, characters from ALL Rockstar games usable in multiplayer.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Companies are so greedy now that they just want a group of gamers to just play their game and only their game all the time and find ways to monetize the same.

This has nothing to do with art and is just them being greedy assholes.

I can't see this succeeding in the long run.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

It's only going to get worse from here on out, people have voted with their wallet and the mainstream gamers doesn't care about MTs.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Well if the earnings from micro transactions being reported in that other thread were accurate, then can you really blame them? It's the biggest money maker in the industry, and gamers that keep buying into it are to blame.

Nov 1, 2017
Companies are so greedy now that they just want a group of gamers to just play their game and only their game all the time and find ways to monetize the same.

This has nothing to do with art and is just them being greedy assholes.

I can't see this succeeding in the long run.
It has nothing to do with the long run. It's about soaking up the consumer's cash until the next post-purchase monetization structure is figured out. Pure greed as you said.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they're having financial success with this business model I see no reason why the wouldn't be doing this in all their future games, can't blame them for wanting to make as much as they can as long as consumers are more than willing to hand over the cash