• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Going by Wiki, GTAV's sales alone are in the same ballpark as the Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed, Sonic and the Mario Kart franchises. It's easily more than the Zelda, Madden, Star Wars and Resident Evil franchises.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
GTA V sold another 5 million since February. New kids are born everyday and new ones are finally old enough to convince their parents to get it.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Still can't believe they shut down Irrational after Infinite, 37M across three titles is crazy (well only 2 of them developed by IG, but still).

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Bioshock is waaay bigger than I thought. I would have said 20m tops across all 3 games. Good stuff.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt GTAV sales misleading somewhat because they count like online cards or something like that?

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
With the time they've had I fully expect GTA6 to be twice the size of V

Absolutely crazy numbers.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have bioshock numbers from last year? How well did the Switch releases do? I know they were on the eshop charts for a long time and there are frequent sales of physical and digital

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If they made GTA4 with modern visuals and sold it again, I think it would catch up to GTA5. It would sell millions regardless of when the re-release would be.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
For some reason I expected Borderlands 3 numbers to be a lot higher. What was number of units sold for Borderlands 2 during its first two years?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

any game on earth would kill for 5 million sold total

gta v sold that amount over a 3 month span, 7 years after release

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
Great to hear these games sell so well, 2K series' loot box shenanigans aside they are all well deserving with some obviously hard working teams behind them. Misguidedly, I thought the borderlands was a fan favourite rather than an general solid seller — this is good news indeed

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'll never understand it. It was kind cool when it first launched but I didn't play it must past those first few months. Is the online portion really popular or do new players keep buying it for the campaign?

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If they made GTA4 with modern visuals and sold it again, I think it would catch up to GTA5. It would sell millions regardless of when the re-release would be.

I disagree in terms of catching up, GTAO/GTAV's success is a beast on it's own. There's nothing in GTA4 online that would cause it to catch up to GTAV imo.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they are in development on GTA VI, but there is simply no hurry. GTA V is a behemoth that will sell well on next gen AGAIN.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'll never understand it. It was kind cool when it first launched but I didn't play it must past those first few months. Is the online portion really popular or do new players keep buying it for the campaign?
Popularity never faded and the online is mega popular.
BCZfHzP.png

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
GTAV has done very big numbers but it also is a live service game that went on to appeal to 2 and now even 3 generations of gamers. It's going to be hard to launch 6 with all the content they created for 5 already. The downside of these service games is that you create very high expectations for the next entry,

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
For some reason I expected Borderlands 3 numbers to be a lot higher. What was number of units sold for Borderlands 2 during its first two years?

Good question actually. I only know it was below what BL3 is at currently launch aligned (as you can see in those remarks from 2K in the pics).

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 3 really came out in the wrong time. I would like to think the EPIC deal hurt the franchise but that is just wishful thinking.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I disagree in terms of catching up, GTAO/GTAV's success is a beast on it's own. There's nothing in GTA4 online that would cause it to catch up to GTAV imo.
i guess you are right.

I just meant that it would sell an easy 10-20 million and then continue selling for years to come again. It would rejuvenate it a bit.

But you have a point regarding GTAO and the MTX for that.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have three copies of GTAV (Steam gift, ps4 bought for $20 and EGS free)

I need to start playing it - think once I am done with what I am playing now , will play GTAV on steam

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Bioshock's fantastic numbers makes it even sadder that we've not had another entry yet.

I really don't understand that. We went an entire generation without an entry in a guaranteed moneyspinner and critically acclaimed series.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Happy for Civ :)

Never bought or let my kids play GTA games. Too many racial stereotypes and too much misogny. Shame it sells like it does.