• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
peoplecanfly.com

People Can Fly expects that its cooperation with Take-Two Interactive will come to an end; Project Dagger will strengthen PCF’s self-publishing plans

People Can Fly expects that its cooperation with Take-Two Interactive will come to an end; Project Dagger will strengthen PCF’s self-publishing plans

PCF Group S.A. (People Can Fly) has informed via the current report released on September 23, 2022, that it has received from Take-Two Interactive a letter of intent to terminate the development and publishing agreement by means of mutual understanding between the parties. This agreement pertains to Project Dagger, new action-adventure IP, that has been in development for the last 2 years – under the direction of People Can Fly's team based in New York.

In addition to the standard provisions parties are to set out detailed terms of settlements differentiating the terms of settlements and the amount of advances received from the publisher for the game's development to be repaid depending on the model in which the game will be commercialized, i.e., depending whether the game will be self-published or released with another publisher.

The Publisher has also not declared the intention to exercise its option to buy-out the intellectual property rights to the products produced under the agreement.

Consequently, People Can Fly has retained the intellectual property rights to the Project Dagger as the sole owner of these rights and is now determined to grow the project on its own.

"I assume we will part on good terms, and I don't see reasons why we couldn't work with Take-Two on some other project in the future. We strongly believe in the Project Dagger's potential and are now committed to continue its development within our self-publishing pipeline. The game is still in pre-production – our team is now focusing on closing combat and game loops and migrate from UE4 to UE5. I'm conscious that this decision will add investments on us, but self-publishing is part of our strategy. Of course, we are not ruling out working with a new publisher if this creates a compelling business opportunity." – says Sebastian Wojciechowski, CEO of People Can Fly.

Project Dagger is one of seven projects at People Can Fly currently in the works. There's also Gemini – new project with Square Enix; Projects Bifrost and Victoria – both games to be released in the self-publishing model; and a project in the concept phase – Red; as well as two projects in VR technology – Green Hell VR and a new project based on one of the IPs from the Group's portfolio.

People Can Fly upholds its recently updated strategy which is to let the Group release one game each year developed by the Group either in cooperation with a publisher or in the self-publishing model starting from 2024.

In additional current reports released on September 23, 2022, PCF Group S.A. has announced that it will publish its consolidated half – year report for the first half of 2022 on September 29[SUP]th[/SUP] and has presented Group's estimated financial results for that period:

Revenue PLN 90.6 million
EBITDA PLN 29.0 million
Net Profit PLN 25.5 million

People Can Fly is employing over 550 people in Warsaw, Rzeszow, Lodz, Krakow, Newcastle, New York, Chicago, Montreal, and Toronto, as well as in a remote work system. This year, the Studio is celebrating the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary of its presence in the industry.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Didn't know this was such a huge company with 9 teams and 7 projects in development with plans to release 1 game a year. They would be considered AAA, right?

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
If they decide they don't want to self publish or the costs are too high I'm sure Microsoft would be more than happy to scoop up another unique IP under its umbrella.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Outriders was a banger, but felt like they were hedging their bets with it. I hope they continue with the series. One of the few video game stories i would like to see where it goes

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Wait, I'd never heard this was a Sega game! Is there an article that tells this story?
www.gamedeveloper.com

Sega ends publishing partnership with narrative studio Interior Night

Sega has scrapped its publishing deal with Interior Night, the narrative studio founded by former Quanitc Dream and Sony Entertainment Europe designer Caroline

A similar thing happened with High on Life, which was a Stadia game until they let it go and Xbox picked it up with a Game Pass deal (not publishing like ADF).

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Two years is nothing. They probably hit some publisher milestone or checkpoint and TakeTwo took the option to nope out - either due to the macro economic climate or they didn't like the progress made.
Hopefully the individual devs are not laid off and can be re-allocated to another project.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Paging dr. Phil.

I like PCF's work, so I hope they'll find someone to bankroll the project real soon. Unless they wanna go the self-publishing route, but looking at those net profits, it might be too soon.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
They have plans to self-publish different games. The most natural outcome is that Project Dagger ends up being self-published (if it makes financial sense for them); if not I'd not be surprised if Square Enix, Epic Games, or Xbox picks it up.

• Gemini – new project with Square Enix;
  • Projects Bifrost and Victoria – both games to be released in the self-publishing model;
  • and a project in the concept phase – Red;
  • as well as two projects in VR technology – Green Hell VR and a new project based on one of the IPs from the Group's portfolio.

btw, kind of surprised Tencent still hasn't invested in them.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Why MS should swoop in an abandoned game ? Bcz they make terrible games ?

rock-one-eyebrow-raised-rock-staring.gif

/s

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
That just feel really shitty. Hope they can find a new publisher and continue working on it if they feel passionate about the project.

But it sounds like they have extra work to place people on if not

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
they should have known better and been bought by a major videogames company, don't they know that's the future of life in this planet

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
How are some of the posts weird lmao, no one is even saying that they should be acquired (at least that I saw), just that Microsoft should publish it like they did As Dusk Falls after SEGA dropped it. How is this a bad thing?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Outriders seemed to be pretty successful on Game Pass, I'm sure MS is at least looking into potentially publishing this game. Would obviously be better for PCF than the game getting completely scrapped, so I'm not sure why a lot of people in here seem to have a problem with it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
PCF getting crap from publishers, continued. [Did Square eventually pay them their royalties?] Didn't realize they were so big. And if cancellations weren't so common already, I'm sure some of these big projects are getting looked at super closely with yet another downturn looming.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Outriders seemed to be pretty successful on Game Pass, I'm sure MS is at least looking into potentially publishing this game. Would obviously be better for PCF than the game getting completely scrapped, so I'm not sure why a lot of people in here seem to have a problem with it.
Yeah, MS might be interested in this considering they have worked with the developer before and Gamepass needs to be constantly fed.
Wouldn't stepping in to publish it help the animal, not waiting for it to die?

Some of these reactions are wild.
well said.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no indication of why they cut ties? Seems that would be important to the argument of someone swooping in...