Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
dude, let me just start saying that i think Charlie Puth is maybe the most pitch perfect guy i've ever seen, also he is a A-tier music producer, but he makes the most bland, white-girl-in-her-20s possible songs. what the fuck?

also, Ed Sheeran. he is a prolific songwriter and he also can rap well. tbh i'm impressed that he became so popular by his efforts only (he never resorted to other writers) and probably he wrote shape of you in like, 10 minutes. he's in fact a awesome songwriter. doesn't have the best voice but he makes up for it. but Ed, why do you make shitty pop songs now? :(

give me more examples

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
John Frusciante making weird drum machine music while he was away from rhcp. Some of it was interesting but most of it.. I didn't know what to make of it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skylar Grey

Somehow she gives all her good songs to Rihanna, Eminem, etc. and then is just left with shitty ones

Oct 27, 2017
Eminem.

I don't think there's any real argument against his talent, but he's released some extremely bad music - more of it than good. Specifically, his speed-rap stuff is amazing but I don't want to hear it ever again.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Miyavi.

Dude used to make incredibly creative music and has an amazing guitar playing style. It was like a strange mix of death metal, blues, slap and flamenco guitar, visual kei, funk, gruncge, and god just all sorts of neat stuff. No one else had a sound like him:

Then he moved to California and now he pretty much exclusively gets top 40 lame american pop writers to write all his music and rarely plays guitar beyond simple riffs and basic chords. It just sounds like generic butt rock or american pop now.

It's a massive tragedy.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.
Lou Reed LuLu was far worse imo. Wish that never happened. Something like Metal Machine music was something that had to made sooner or later by someone.

Anyway OP, a lot of people like attention, fame and money. There isn't a rule that you have to make sincere music.
The big masses like things easy to digest.

John Frusciante making weird drum machine music while he was away from rhcp. Some of it was interesting but most of it.. I didn't know what to make of it.
Imo his solo albums are more interesting than RHCP stuff.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I kinda agree with Eminem he has made some great songs and the live show i've seen with him was fucking awesome. His latest work and last few records haven't been that good honestly.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Is Ed Sheeran even doing music anymore? I feel like I haven't heard his name in 5 years. Maybe I just don't pay close enough attention to popular music though.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Miyavi.

Dude used to make incredibly creative music and has an amazing guitar playing style. It was like a strange mix of death metal, blues, slap and flamenco guitar, visual kei, funk, gruncge, and god just all sorts of neat stuff. No one else had a sound like him:

Then he moved to California and now he pretty much exclusively gets top 40 lame american pop writers to write all his music and rarely plays guitar beyond simple riffs and basic chords. It just sounds like generic butt rock or american pop now.

It's a massive tragedy.

Oh man, I agree. Was really into his old stuff too, forever ago

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Fergie.

She should be a rock vocalist. Listen to her stuff with Slash from several years back - she has the chops to really make it in rock music.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Oh man, I agree. Was really into his old stuff too, forever ago
Even when he started writing popier songs they were a million times more interesting than anything he's got people writing for him now adays. I don't get how you can have 6 writers on a song and wind up with a song so basic that it sounds like it was made by a drinky bird.

I guess it worked out for him but god it's so drab.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Gonna throw out a wild answer, but Insane Clown Posse. Their music kinda sucks despite a few efforts of mine to like it, but their live show is fucking spectacular and they clearly perform their songs really well. They're good at what they do.

What they do is just bad.

Whoop whoop though. Would get doused in Faygo again.

Formless61

Oct 27, 2017
Not shitty, but there's a lot of math/insta guitarists that make really nice 30 sec long riffs that are sort of indistinguishable after a while because there's no staying power.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if Nickelback went full metal, they would be a much better band. The generic rock they put out is so boring, and I feel like Chad kroeger has a really good voice that would lend well to heavy metal.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
There's a ton of this in classic rock, more than a lot of people would like to admit. Let's start with The Doors for example, some great talent in that band not utilized to its full potential.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Idris Elba, he's a great actor but all of his music feels like the equivalent of a mid life crisis.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Wow do people still think Lady Gaga has no talent?, I mean she's not the best but she's made some great songs , I don't know much about her recent output though.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
This definitely feels like a Top 40 dunk thread. Ariana? Weeknd? Suuuure.

My input? Chris Daughtry. My wife absolutely loved him on Masked Singer, only to listen to Daughtry and lose all that love.

Same thing happened to me when he was on American Idol.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.

LOL yeah this was the first thing that came to mind for me.

I'd also say Muse's recent stuff is absolutely awful and they seem to kind of revel in its shittiness which makes it all the more frustrating as they're so talented. Less hollow 80s schlock homages and more weird proggy stuff from Origin of Symmetry please.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I regret putting them here, but ironically:

www.youtube.com

TASTE YOU LIKE YOGURT - Whatchya ft Flula Borg & Flynt Flossy (@Turquoisejeep)

DOWNLOAD HERE: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/existing-musical-beings/id785647615SUBSCRIBE HERE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpCSlbQDKQVvGLjzWLPwBw?...

and:

www.youtube.com

Jack Sparrow (feat. Michael Bolton)

Buy at iTunes: http://goo.gl/zv4o9. New album on sale now! http://turtleneckandchain.comListen to The Lonely Island and Seth Meyers Podcast: https://www.you...

They are all talented but using music to show untalented music is.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Bruce Willis should have stuck to fighting terrorists

Lol this one took me a second then I was like oh yeah...

On that note I'll add Tim Curry, but then again I've never actually listened to any of his music so I dunno how good or bad it is.

Edit: also honorable mention for Hawkeye :p

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people who are talented musicians technically but can't write a song worth a crap or show off their virtuosity instead of connecting with people. Obviously great singers who can't play other instruments/make music, great lyricists/songwriters who can't perform their songs well. Talented people at showmanship/dancing who can't make good original music or perform live, etc.

Then there's the talented people in a creative funk, or who need to get pushed to not put out half-baked songs by a co-songwriter/producer (Paul McCartney at various points famously), or who are making music you don't like at various points in their careers.