• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

According to Amazon, Tales from the Loop explores the town and people who live above "The Loop" a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe – making things possible that were previously relegated only to science fiction. In this fantastical mysterious town poignant human tales are told that bare universal emotional experiences while drawing on the intrigue of genre storytelling.

The show is based on the art book by Stålenhag, which imagined an alternate version of our world filled with fantastical machines and creatures juxtaposed against a suburban countryside. Stålenhag's paintings were set in a shared universe, where a massive particle accelerator built underground — dubbed "The Loop" — caused "strange and mysterious" machines and events to occur.

Produced by Matt Reeves. Coming April 3rd.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently bought The Electric State, and it's really good. I wonder if they'll adapt that as well

The lack of Simon Stalenhag's name in that trailer is insulting

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
this looks like it has promise. I love shows like this that can show the possibilities of science fiction.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woah. I love the Tales From the Loop/Things From the Swamp tabletop RPGs. This makes this Amazon's third tabletop show adaptation, Legends of Vox Machina and The Expanse (books came out of the development of the TTRPG) being the other two.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Looks good. Count me in.

We really are in a golden age of television series. The amount of quality content coming out is mind-blowing.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer really invokes the feeling in Simon Stålenhag's work. I can't wait to see this.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking forward to this ever since it got announced and I'm glad it looks so good.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Woah. I love the Tales From the Loop/Things From the Swamp tabletop RPGs. This makes this Amazon's third tabletop show adaptation, Legends of Vox Machina and The Expanse (books came out of the development of the TTRPG) being the other two.
I think, techincally, they aren't adapting the game, just Simon Stålenhag artbook of the same name (which the game is based on). I guess its similiar to how The Witcher show isn't connected to the games at all, despite both being based on the same source material.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it related to this?

Tales from the Loop: Stålenhag, Simon, Stalenhag, Simon: 9781624650390: Amazon.com: Books

Tales from the Loop [Stålenhag, Simon, Stalenhag, Simon] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Tales from the Loop

Originally thought yes, skipping through the trailer, but hearing it's also a tabletop game I'm wondering if they're all connected? Either way, love Simon Stalenhag's art.
yes, it's based on his work

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
I have been a huge fan for a while of his work. Really surprised it's not a grim-dark take on the horrors of tech. It looks wholesome can't wait to check it out in April.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Awesome. Big fan of Stålenhag's work.

GOhQczfY6NapR1TRBl17i3lmKxeJN5eJPwS7jSW6ukE.jpg

electricstate_7-1500x750.jpg

by_mainservers1_1920.jpg

XhoWbysuILdA876XvmPPR8L_5fa0DGgIpl-vS9Ww784.jpg

Last edited:

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great. I think Simon Stålenhag's art is incredible. From the moment I saw those images, I've always been curious about that world in which those...things exist. Those designs are so damn vivid and interesting. The paintings were so evocative of something horrible that happened, and the aftermath and ramifications of whatever happened. It's a giant mystery and I really really hope whatever they've made here doesn't ruin it.

Seriously take some time to go through his stuff:

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I am excited about this and look forward to giving it a chance but I have to say visually it doesn't seem to nail the things that make his work so exciting.

It looks very American, by that I mean the cinematography and how bright and clean everything is.
It also lacks all the fog and depth that makes his work so atmospheric, obviously this is a tricky thing to get right in live action but more matte painting work on the plates could have helped.

As I said the show might be great and nail it visually in the end and I am interested so we'll see. Even if it isn't there visually it might be really enjoyable anyway.

Still great to see such an awesome artist like Simon Stålenhag have his work expanded on.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think, techincally, they aren't adapting the game, just Simon Stålenhag artbook of the same name (which the game is based on). I guess its similiar to how The Witcher show isn't connected to the games at all, despite both being based on the same source material.
I didn't realize Stålenhag had work called that prior to the development of the RPG. The only book of his I've come across in the wild was Electric State, so mistakenly thought the two RPGs in the series were developed alongside his work than an adaptation after.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Aw man.

I was hoping they were gonna set the show in Sweden. Those three giant towers are the cooling towers in Bona on the Mälar islands where the giant Swedish particle accelerator "The Loop" is located, the center of all the mystery in the Tales from the Loop artbooks.

bonaverken.jpg

I feel a tad bit robbed honestly that they copped out and just moved everything to America (probably to appeal more to an American audience). Though a US. setting is described in the first book by the way of a accidental portal, they used a lot of the art that comes from the Swedish part of the book and it's just not the same to someone who has followed Stålenhags work for so long and the initial appeal was our Scandi culture contrasting with the sci-fi elements.

december1994_%C2%A9simon_stalenhag.jpg

Still, will probably give the show a shot and see how it ends up.

Ludovico

Oct 25, 2017
Stålenhag is sssoooooo good.

Does anyone know offhand about the giant steam-press thing in FLCL - is that and Stålenhag pulling
from a common "giant looming tech" source or is that just a general asthetic?

edit - cooling towers, derp.
Between those and the dinosaur snippets, I love the general tone throughout his work

Last edited: