• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which pre-merger Tales Studio team did you prefer?

• Team Destiny

Votes: 92 33.5%
  • Team Symphonia

Votes: 183 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone notice how Zestiria's crucibles use the Mayan calendar as their floors' textures?

5GbujUr.jpg

YdvmGQZ.jpg

wkUOJMI.jpg

Also, what's the most grade you have gotten?

44229844659580371804li8s.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Vesperia will be at TGS, but only in trailer form

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/bandai-namco-announces-tgs-2018-lineup

I really hope that's not an indication that it's not going to make it this year. Although maybe it's just down to it being an upgraded port as Square doesn't have The World Ends With You listed as playable and it's due out later this month in Japan.

I actually expect them to announce the release date during the 10th Anniversary party on sept 16. Plus making a demo requires time/work and it's not like a demo will help sell the game that much since it's already fully playable. I also think the team working on it is probably really small to divert attention towards making a demo.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
The same month that Kh3 comes out? That doesn't seem wise to me. And it is a little weird to announce the release date just with a tweet and no trailer at all.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
In minor news Yusukue Tomizawa (general IP producer for God Eater and Code Vein) has confirmed that he's the Producer of the next console game.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201809/11163686.html
https://twitter.com/tommy_feb_26

Don't know too much about God Eater but I dug around and interestingly enough, it appears that he transitioned to from being the main Producer of the God Eater games to being the IP Producer some point after God Eater Resurrection was released in Fall 2015. Assuming this was because he moved to Tales, that lines up pretty with the next game having started production 2.5-3 years ago once Berseria was near completion. 2.5-3 years was basically the full production cycle Xillia/Zestiria got, meanwhile they've spent somewhere around that amount of time on the next one and haven't even revealed it yet, so that's one good sign that they're rebuilding a lot of stuff for the next one.

That they were willing to reveal this and finally start opening up a little about the next game also makes me think an announcement is pretty close. Maybe December.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Also confirm that Fukuya filling the producer's shoes was only a temporary solution after Baba's departure.
He seems like a nice fellow, I hope he kept a good job afterwards

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
I'm betting the reveal of the new title is happening near the launch of Vesperia Definitive either just before or just after, leaning more on the later.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
924bf37c4298c634b65ece01c708c344_1920_KR.jpg

Did we get any confirmation that the anniversary bundle ships inside a big collector box of somekind, or is it going to be similar to the recent Dragon Quest XI "bundle"?

I ask because on the Namco store, in the cart, it's the game + diorama as separate items. Actually "Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - Diorama" for 0.00$.

I hate when these things all ship separately... loose goods... gonna stick with the regular edition if that's the case here.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone ordered from the namco EU store? I keep trying to order the switch CE but it won't accept my credit card (which works anywhere else) and if I try to link to PayPal, it says that I cancelled my payment. So annoying.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Is Zestiria that bad? I loved Graces F and Xillia. Will I like Zestiria or should I go straight to Berseria?

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
I would say to just skip it and watch the anime if you are curious to see what happens after playing Berseria.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Is Zestiria that bad? I loved Graces F and Xillia. Will I like Zestiria or should I go straight to Berseria?
I'd personally say do Zesty first. It is not the greatest game, but it helped me appreciate Berseria better story-wise. Those dungeon themes are gold and I (unlike others) overall prefer the cast more.

But if you're gonna end up playing just one of the two, do Bersy. Starting with either one is fine though, Bersy was made with people who skipped Zesty in mind.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the first third of Zestiria was fun, the second was kinda ok, and the last third was a bit confusing plot-wise and I was kinda getting bored with the game.

Basically the more they tried to introduce twists to the story and increase the focus on stuff like Armatization, the less I liked it. The first third was a simple but pretty fun RPG in the vein of Graces but with characters that aren't as dumb, then it goes downhill from there.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't knew where to ask except here.
So I was planing on playing Tales of Symphonia today but just got spoiled on something I think it's pretty big.
I would like to knew how far in the game does lloyd finds out that kratos is his father? (please tell me it's early '︿')

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't knew where to ask except here.
So I was planing on playing Tales of Symphonia today but just got spoiled on something I think it's pretty big.
I would like to knew how far in the game does lloyd finds out that kratos is his father? (please tell me it's early '︿')
It's pretty late, but it's also kind of obvious if you pay attention to the clues.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I see.
I'm still gonna play the game but I might just play it next month instead, since I'm kinda down right now, I was really looking forward to playing it. Thanks for answering :)

Don't let that get you down. I get the feeling of having something spoiling, but it's something that becomes blatantly obvious early on and just something that the cast doesn't discover until late.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
Don't let that get you down. I get the feeling of having something spoiling, but it's something that becomes blatantly obvious early on and just something that the cast doesn't discover until late.
Yeah, but think I need some time, otherwise I won't be thinking of anything other than that fact If I play it today. I will just start DQ XI instead and play Symphonia with a clear mind after it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Randomly decided to check when Tales of Berseria was announced... June 6th, 2015. It'll be over three and a half years at the earliest for the announcement of the next mainline, not even getting into how much further away release will be O.O

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
So, I thought it would be really difficult for me to hate a Tales game. I'm somewhat new to the franchise but over the past few years I've played and enjoyed every entry from the PS3 era onwards (I'd rank them Xillia 2 > Symphonia > Xillia > Hearts R > Graces F > Berseria > Zestiria). Sure, Zestiria was a bit of a drag at times but I still had fun with bits of it.

But my god, Symphonia 2 is doing its damned hardest to make me hate it. It's bad enough between the terrible story and Emil as the lead character who I cannot stand, but even the combat isn't much fun. I don't understand what they were thinking when making this game.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
So, I thought it would be really difficult for me to hate a Tales game. I'm somewhat new to the franchise but over the past few years I've played and enjoyed every entry from the PS3 era onwards (I'd rank them Xillia 2 > Symphonia > Xillia > Hearts R > Graces F > Berseria > Zestiria). Sure, Zestiria was a bit of a drag at times but I still had fun with bits of it.

But my god, Symphonia 2 is doing its damned hardest to make me hate it. It's bad enough between the terrible story and Emil as the lead character who I cannot stand, but even the combat isn't much fun. I don't understand what they were thinking when making this game.

It's a low budget spin-off sequel which was made by a subpar team to cash on the Tales of Symphonia name (mostly for western audience I'd guess)
It could have still been better (especially on the gameplay front where some mind boggling choices were made) but was the first Tales of to introduce motion capture so at least there's that.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
It's a low budget spin-off sequel which was made by a subpar team to cash on the Tales of Symphonia name (mostly for western audience I'd guess)
It could have still been better (especially on the gameplay front where some mind boggling choices were made) but was the first Tales of to introduce motion capture so at least there's that.

I mean, Hearts R was a low-budget remake but they still managed to make an enjoyable combat system and the story was significantly more engaging (although I guess that's because it was based on a mothership title).

It's baffling to me just how bad Dawn of the New World has been so far. At least it kept in some of the (hilarious) mini-games which I was missing from some of the PS3-era titles.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to wonder when we'll get the next mainline game but for the moment I'm just glad Vesperia's finally getting re-released.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I'm starting to wonder when we'll get the next mainline game but for the moment I'm just glad Vesperia's finally getting re-released.

They've got Vesperia remaster to release in January, afterwards Bamco also has to focus on God Eater 3 (Dec then February) then Code Vein (still no date but sometimes after GE3)
After these 3 titles are out Bamco lineup is empty on that target audience so we should expect regular info afterwards.

As for release schedule late Summer might fit like Berseria 2y ago.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

i'm just hoping the long time period between games means the field design will be more interesting in the next one

only specific major change I really want from Berseria

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I still enjoyed it plenty. It had enough good stuff for me to have fun with it, like:
- Best skits of all Tales released until that point
- The soundtrack was fantastic
- Tenebrae
- The battle system was good (I actually think the 3D movement in this game felt much better and faster than Abyss and some parts of Vesperia)
- The Pokémon/SMT mechanics were cool

But I do agree it needed more time in the oven and that it had very questionable gameplay choices.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Quick couple of questions:
1) how long does Symphonia take to beat? It's been so long and I've always used the Grade Shop to keep my playtime that I've forgotten how long an average regular playthrough takes.

2) What makes Vesperia stand out from the other games? Is it the battle system, story, etc?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I still enjoyed it plenty. It had enough good stuff for me to have fun with it, like:
- Best skits of all Tales released until that point
- The soundtrack was fantastic
- Tenebrae
- The battle system was good (I actually think the 3D movement in this game felt much better and faster than Abyss and some parts of Vesperia)
- The Pokémon/SMT mechanics were cool

But I do agree it needed more time in the oven and that it had very questionable gameplay choices.

I honestly can't remember a single thing about the soundtrack for Dawn of the New World. Got any links to good songs?

I also felt the battle system was pants. Towards the end I felt completely pointless while my monsters just slaughtered the enemies lol.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Person who conceives frenzy:

The wilderness of sadness:

The more I try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdG8QWETgKQ

Those 3 are my favorites and "Person who conceives frenzy" is one of my best-loved battle themes ever.

I'll go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXFum9cotM
With courage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg1PuEoD0pw
A life-threatening quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAaQXI6Qq8

Arrangements from the first game (DotNW versions are superior, IMO):
Full force: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7y6hdpW6HQ
Like a glint of light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWo6LdKJWIY

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I played Vesperia, and never touched the PS3 version at all so I was wondering, how extensive was the button configuration in the games options? Were you able to change what button brings up the menu in battle and out on the field? I was wondering since I was planning on getting the Switch version and it'd no doubt be set on the X button, but I was also planning on getting the Power A GameCube style controller for Smash, too. I figured I could try and use it with this game too and get it set up with more or less the same controls that Symphonia had on GC for double the nostalgia lol.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The worst thing about it when I saw part of it was how clearly the main character was an abuse victim but the story was constantly victim blaming him.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017

Popular opinion is very much against it. I'm a big fan of the game but some of its design choices are universally criticized.
Probably don't listen to me though. I think Xillia is weak (Graces is great though).

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick couple of questions:
1) how long does Symphonia take to beat? It's been so long and I've always used the Grade Shop to keep my playtime that I've forgotten how long an average regular playthrough takes.

2) What makes Vesperia stand out from the other games? Is it the battle system, story, etc?
I'd say 50 hours roughly. My Steam counter says 66 hours, but I played on hard and had to grind a bit here and there (using speedhacks).
Vesperia is like a more modern Symphonia, I guess. The newer games have more fun combat, but the story isn't as weak. It just feels like a complete JRPG experience.