• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which pre-merger Tales Studio team did you prefer?

• Team Destiny

Votes: 92 33.5%
  • Team Symphonia

Votes: 183 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I'm a glutton for pain. I just webt back and looked up old threads from 2008 when Vesperia was announced to the realization that MS had exclusivity for it...

Man, those were some fun times....

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Turns out that the Switch CE for Vesperia definitive is sold out in Europe.. Guess I'll have to double-dip.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The 23rd anniversary stream starts in 11 hours. I'm still desperate for new mothership title details >.<

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
So... Tales of Crestoria will feature old characters from other titles placed within the world. When they mention how this game is "imagined as if it were a ground up mainline title reimagining the franchise for mobile," I was hyped. Now, not so much. Cool concept for the setting though, just like Tales of the Rays.

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/tales-of-crestoria-full-concept-movie-system-details

It looks like there's still some emphasis on the main cast and story but it still feels like they're leaning on the crossover crutch a little to carry it. A little disappointing but I'm still kinda interested in it.

Have NAMCO shown Vesperia: DE playable at any shows? I just saw their Jump Festa lineup and it's not playable there even though it's only a month out from release now

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/bandai-namco-announces-jump-festa-2019-lineup

There was the stuff here but that's about it I think? Internal data must have given them low expectations or something because they've been giving the game a pretty soft push.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Remasters in Japan don't sell much to begin and being multiplat doesn't really help as much as it will in western markets (PC is irelevant, XB1 non existant).
The incentive to buy the game once again is also lower, there's no new content and bragging about framerate/resolution isn't that big of an argument in that market either.

Symphonia sold 120k retail near the peak of PS3 software sales, Abyss 3DS 150k at launch with great legs thanks to the anime adaptation, that should be the ballpark for Vesperia sales with maybe a few additional dozen of thousands sales due to being Switch/PS4.
Game is a known value too as it's been selling thousands copies until a a few years ago on PS3, they don't need nor do they have much to show really.

Also they might be trying to go for a late push since the game releases post christmas, it's already a very busy time of the year so marketing might not be worth it until late december/early January

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Have they shown what the PS4 Vesperia Dynamic theme is gonna look like yet? I know you can't download it yet with pre-order, thought maybe it was spotted in a japanese steam or video or something.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017

So they shut down rays and link out of the blue and expect us to invest in crestoria? lol

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sooooo... Why is Tales of Vesperia considered one of the greatest JRPGs ? I'm on the verge of buying it, but I actually don't know anything about it (or the Tales of Series, tbh).

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo... Why is Tales of Vesperia considered one of the greatest JRPGs ? I'm on the verge of buying it, but I actually don't know anything about it (or the Tales of Series, tbh).

I can't speak for others, but in my case it is due to a cast of great characters, an interesting combat system (that unfortunately got replaced in the following games), and a plot with enough hooks to keep me going.

The characters are definitely the best part of the game.
Vesperia was from an era where every JRPG protagonist was a 14-18 year old child that we get to see grow into a pseudo-adult, and decided to against that by giving us Yuri, a guy in his mid-20s with a sense of who he is and what he wants to do from the beginning.
Besides Yuri we do get some younger characters to fill the "coming of age" hole, and their stories are pretty good.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for others, but in my case it is due to a cast of great characters, an interesting combat system (that unfortunately got replaced in the following games), and a plot with enough hooks to keep me going.

The characters are definitely the best part of the game.
Vesperia was from an era where every JRPG protagonist was a 14-18 year old child that we get to see grow into a pseudo-adult, and decided to against that by giving us Yuri, a guy in his mid-20s with a sense of who he is and what he wants to do from the beginning.
Besides Yuri we do get some younger characters to fill the "coming of age" hole, and their stories are pretty good.
Thanks!

What's so good about the story and combat system ?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finally grabbed Berseria on PS4, gave up on the PC version in my region and also decided to not bootleg it. Looking forward to it in a few weeks when I get to it post Persona 5.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

What's so good about the story and combat system ?

Vesperia's combat system was the final and most polished iteration of the system first introduced in Tales of Symphonia.
Plenty of customisation in terms of artes (special abilities/magic), Vesperia also has a skill system (sorta like FF IX's, if you're familiar with it) wherein you can learn passive abilities from your equipment, which then allows for even further customisation of your characters' combat ability.

For the story, and I'm going to try and be as general as possible here, for fear of the great Anti-Spoiler overlords, it starts out with very little direction, leading you into a variety of smaller stories.
On their own each of these smaller stories serve to flesh out your party and their roles in the greater scheme of things, typically one member at a time.
A common criticism of Vesperia is that the overarching story is one of the weaker in the series, which I can sorta agree with, but I find that the smaller stories each have enough of a hook to keep you going until the overarching plot comes into view.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Vesperia's combat system was the final and most polished iteration of the system first introduced in Tales of Symphonia.
Plenty of customisation in terms of artes (special abilities/magic), Vesperia also has a skill system (sorta like FF IX's, if you're familiar with it) wherein you can learn passive abilities from your equipment, which then allows for even further customisation of your characters' combat ability.

For the story, and I'm going to try and be as general as possible here, for fear of the great Anti-Spoiler overlords, it starts out with very little direction, leading you into a variety of smaller stories.
On their own each of these smaller stories serve to flesh out your party and their roles in the greater scheme of things, typically one member at a time.
A common criticism of Vesperia is that the overarching story is one of the weaker in the series, which I can sorta agree with, but I find that the smaller stories each have enough of a hook to keep you going until the overarching plot comes into view.
Alright, thank you :)
I think I'll try it out then!

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I've been checking out some gameplay from someone who got the Definitive Edition early on YouTube, and seeing that hideous font in the final version made me sad.
How could they go from this (X360):
ltLG8UP.png

to this? (PS4)
QN1xcv0.png

This happened to FFIX as well. I wish more studios would also remaster the font rather than just picking a default "readable" one when the original was just fine and added charm to the game. Especially games with lots of reading like this one.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah um, I actually didn't like the default font in Vesperia and prefer the newer one.

Oct 25, 2017
Crestoria isn't to be considered the next mainline Tales..... is it? Is there an actual game in the works? I can't remember a time this long without knowing one was on the horizon.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still not sure if to get on PC or Switch. Guess I'll wait for a Digital Foundry's video.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I've been checking out some gameplay from someone who got the Definitive Edition early on YouTube, and seeing that hideous font in the final version made me sad.
How could they go from this (X360):
ltLG8UP.png

to this? (PS4)
QN1xcv0.png

This happened to FFIX as well. I wish more studios would also remaster the font rather than just picking a default "readable" one when the original was just fine and added charm to the game. Especially games with lots of reading like this one.
I'm not a fan of that font either, and I'm pretty sure the research hasn't found any difference in readability between serif and sans-serif fonts anyway. I don't know why remasters keep changing games' fonts when there's no apparent reason to.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
Vesperia had an option for three different fonts, so maybe the remaster will have different fonts too?

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Vesperia had an option for three different fonts, so maybe the remaster will have different fonts too?
Oh wow, you're right! That's pretty amazing, and even moreso that the option is still there. The default font from the original is gone, and Type C is just a bolder version of Type A (the one I complained about), but Type B seems to look okay:
AcFKudX.png

Yay for options.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Haven't completed a Tales game since Symphonia but I'm really excited for Vesperia after my 360 broke down half way through my initial playthrough.

I'm hoping that one day down the line we get a Symphonia port on Switch as I adored that game.

people

Oct 27, 2017
Despite buying most of the Tales games for PS3/4 (except Symphonia/Chronicles) I have yet to play any of them. Vesperia Definitive Edition just arrived in the mail. Should I start playing right away, or is there a 'better' way to start the series?

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Despite buying most of the Tales games for PS3/4 (except Symphonia/Chronicles) I have yet to play any of them. Vesperia Definitive Edition just arrived in the mail. Should I start playing right away, or is there a 'better' way to start the series?

Vesperia is the peak of the series (if you ask me). Starting out with the best, might just lead to disappointment with the rest.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Vesperia is the peak of the series (if you ask me). Starting out with the best, might just lead to disappointment with the rest.
I see no issue with this approach, The PS3 exclusive tales can be a turnoff to many. I went from being hype for every tales games to oh its another Baba tales games again, guess I will get it once it's cheap.

Life is short;unless he really want to play every single one of them, i will say that starting from one of the better tales game won't be a problem.

people

Oct 27, 2017
I see no issue with this approach, The PS3 exclusive tales can be a turnoff to many. I went from being hype for every tales games to oh its another Baba tales games again, guess I will get it once it's cheap.

Life is short;unless he really want to play every single one of them, i will say that starting from one of the better tales game won't be a problem.
I was planning to play all/most of them eventually, I usually take this approach with series that I haven't played (much of). Main reason I will probably skip it for now is that I recently spent a lot of time with another JRGP (Last Remnatn) and I noticed I was't really in the mood for another lengthy adventure. So I will come back to it at some point, most likely after the PS3 games.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
So I am playing through Vesperia and enjoying it. I have only played Symphonia before it 15 years ago. I want to try out more of the Tales series. I have Symphonia on PC so I'm probably going to play that later this year. But I also want to check out some of the other games. Definitely not all of them. But at least the top ones. Which would people recommend? I'm leaning towards Tales of the Abyss on 3DS to complete the Team Symphonia holy trinity and Berseria which seems like the best modern Tales game.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
So I am playing through Vesperia and enjoying it. I have only played Symphonia before it 15 years ago. I want to try out more of the Tales series. I have Symphonia on PC so I'm probably going to play that later this year. But I also want to check out some of the other games. Definitely not all of them. But at least the top ones. Which would people recommend? I'm leaning towards Tales of the Abyss on 3DS to complete the Team Symphonia holy trinity and Berseria which seems like the best modern Tales game.

Basically yeah, I can't speak for the performance of the 3ds port but Abyss is a very solid game, and it has the same kind of battle system that Vesperia and Symphonia have so you will be familiar with it but with the caveat of it having a VERY hit or miss cast, Luke in particular you will either love him or hate him, and the worst child character of the series (imo) in the form of Anise, bleugh.

Berseria on the other hand has my second favorite cast of the series behind Vesperia, the battle system is very different from the "Symphonia" trilogy but it is still good if a little button-mashy, it performs great on even potato pc's so it also has that going for it. Ignore its conections to Zestiria, because they are minimal at best, and on that note, if you want to experience Zestiria after playing Berseria, just do yourself a favor and watch the anime.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I finished Berseria last night and really enjoyed it. I wasn't too impressed with the combat so I switched to full auto so I didn't have to bother with it but I liked the world and the characters. I'll going to try Zesteria next. I'm not expecting much judging by people's opinions but I bought it during the Xmas sale so it's not a big deal if I abandon it.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I recently restarted Berseria after dropping it a couple hours in for the games released over the holidays and was basically looking for any tips people might have. The combat doesn't seem all that great so far but am I expected to pop off my R2 ability during every fight? It honestly seems like that's the only place my damage is really coming from. Also compared to Vesperia and Zestiria I'm also not really feeling the artes system in this and was wondering if it gets any better down the line.

Also I'm still early but should I leave cooking on auto? I feel like I'll blow through ingredients for meals on shitty little fights but I also want to make sure I continue to level it up.

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recently restarted Berseria after dropping it a couple hours in for the games released over the holidays and was basically looking for any tips people might have. The combat doesn't seem all that great so far but am I expected to pop off my R2 ability during every fight? It honestly seems like that's the only place my damage is really coming from. Also compared to Vesperia and Zestiria I'm also not really feeling the artes system in this and was wondering if it gets any better down the line.

Also I'm still early but should I leave cooking on auto? I feel like I'll blow through ingredients for meals on shitty little fights but I also want to make sure I continue to level it up.
What difficulty are you playing?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I imported Vesperia and two months later the remake was announced. Now that I have my hands on Destiny DC we'll get that next, right?