• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which pre-merger Tales Studio team did you prefer?

• Team Destiny

Votes: 92 33.5%
  • Team Symphonia

Votes: 183 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
No chance.
Used copies were being sold pretty cheap in Book-off last I checked (2-3k yens for the fancy collector)

Would love to play Destiny again, maybe a remake for PS4/Switch.

However, my favorite Tales of is still Phantasy (the first one, on SNES). What a game, such a great story. Is has so much drama since the beginning, funny moments, and some really cool moments that make it just legendary.

Oct 25, 2017

Soooooo is Tales dead? Can't remember a time period this long without the tease or announcement of a new entry. Unless I completely missed something. (Don't tell me that phone game is a mothership title)

Are we better off hoping for more remasters at this point? Legendia Remake? DC, DII, Rebirth remaster/localization? Funeral?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Soooooo is Tales dead? Can't remember a time period this long without the tease or announcement of a new entry. Unless I completely missed something. (Don't tell me that phone game is a mothership title)

Are we better off hoping for more remasters at this point? Legendia Remake? DC, DII, Rebirth localization? Funeral?
Isn't there still the Switch game? Or did that end up being the Switch version of Vesperia?

EDIT: There was a game announced back near the Switch reveal, right? Or am I imagining that?

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there still the Switch game? Or did that end up being the Switch version of Vesperia?

EDIT: There was a game announced back near the Switch reveal, right? Or am I imagining that?

News to me. Must've been Vesperia or the game Baba left to work on, that I think is also not happening anymore

Remember when Sword of Legendia was a thing? Lmao. :'(

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017

Are we better off hoping for more remasters at this point? Legendia Remake? DC, DII, Rebirth remaster/localization? Funeral?

They said around this time last year that a new entry is in development for consoles. Since their Tales show is next month it probably won't be long before they hint or confirm that they're going to show it soon.

I think the main hold up is that they're not working with the PS3 (and likely the Tales engine) anymore so they're essentially starting from scratch in many ways, and they no longer have backup/alternative teams to give them a head start on development of follow up games. So development of the next game couldn't really start until Berseria was finished in 2016, and they didn't have any other option but to stay in the background for a few years while ports and mobile games fill in the gap.

Oct 25, 2017
They said around this time last year that a new entry is in development for consoles. Since their Tales show is next month it probably won't be long before they hint or confirm that they're going to show it soon.

I think the main hold up is that they're not working with the PS3 (and likely the Tales engine) anymore so they're essentially starting from scratch in many ways, and they no longer have backup/alternative teams to give them a head start on development of follow up games. So development of the next game couldn't really start until Berseria was finished in 2016, and they didn't have any other option but to stay in the background for a few years while ports and mobile games fill in the gap.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Zankou

Jan 5, 2019

The producer confirmed a new game in development last year. I guess we will hear about it this year... maybe at Tales Fes.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy it's taking longer than usual. If Xillia and Zestiria are anything to go off of, these games need a major overall. UE4 please.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they release another Xillia I'll be very, very happy. But I know I'm fairly alone in this view!
The plot, characters, and combat were fine. But you gotta admit that all the recent games barren are wastelands in terms of exploration and overworld. UE4 could solve that at least.

Like the environments being bland has hell was my only major complain with Berseria.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm happy they're taking their time since most of the recent Tales games have been pretty weak, surely in part because of the old engine. Gameplay in particular has been super mediocre ever since Graces F - the fights themselves are usually a lot of fun, but everything surrounding them has, well, sucked. Exploration is nonexistent, progressions systems are messy, uninteresting and underwhelming (Zestiria and Berseria's particularly) and so on.

But despite the atrocious skill and gear systems Berseria had in place, I loved the overall experience so I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about the next game hopefully soon.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I got tired of Xillia's repetition and reused environments, but I'll at least give it credit for its art direction. I really liked the way the game looked. And on a similar note, I could watch the opening for days. So good.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Best combat in the series for me if nothing else. I liked Rowan, Milla and Alvin (when he's not doing his 50 betrayals) as well

I ended up playing it through twice (Jude and Milla routes) because I enjoyed it so much, and if it got a re-release I'd do it all again. I really liked that every system in the game was easy to understand and exploit - there always seems to be at least one arcane system in every jRPG that I struggle to wrap my head around, and Xillia was free of that.

Also, when I said, "it's not my favourite in the series," what I really meant to say is that it's one of my favourites. I just had a brainfart moment. Vesperia is still #1 for me, though!

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I mean let's be fair. Yes, the PS3/PS4 Tales game maps are pretty bland and empty, but you could pretty much say the same thing about the older games world map.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
The plot, characters, and combat were fine. But you gotta admit that all the recent games barren are wastelands in terms of exploration and overworld. UE4 could solve that at least.

Like the environments being bland has hell was my only major complain with Berseria.

I mean, it never really bothered me that much. Symphonia had a big world map but it's not like there was loads to do on it. At least Xillia and the like didn't strip out the traversal altogether and just give you a set of menus to choose from (I know you could do that later on, but still). Plus, I found that linking enemies and collecting items still added some element of interactivity to the environments.

I'm right there with you, partner

therearedozensofus.gif

It's not my favourite in the series, but I really enjoyed it.

Highfive.

Best combat in the series for me if nothing else. I liked Rowan, Milla and Alvin (when he's not doing his 50 betrayals) as well

Xillia & Xillia 2 contain my two favourite playable characters ever in a Tales game - Alvin (Xillia 1) and Gaius (Xillia 2). In general the combat system was as good as I've ever seen it in the franchise and I yearn for it to go back to something similar. Zestiria, Berseria and Vesperia (recently finished it) just don't come close.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Purely for combat Jude with the speed boost skill is probably the most fun I've had with the series

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
I loved playing with Milla in both Xillia 1 and 2, aside from Richard in Graces F, I think she is the magic knight archetype that I had the most fun controlling in this series.

I really like the battle system of the Xillias I just wish that the game wouldn't slow down so much during battle. I feel like they are the Tales games that would benefit most from a remaster.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018

I think this isn't that long just a Vesperia to xillia style wait due to engine change with a Graces F style remake(Vesperia DE) to whet our appetites meanwhile.

That being said I how they go back to cell shading. Code Vein and NNK use cell shading so hopefully Bamco is all for it next gen.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the ol' wolf boss was supposedly nerfed in Definitive Vesperia, yet he kicked my arse more then in the 360 days.
I can't go like I used to, makes sense considering I'm now an "old man" in Tales years compared to my last run.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I thought the ol' wolf boss was supposedly nerfed in Definitive Vesperia, yet he kicked my arse more then in the 360 days.
I can't go like I used to, makes sense considering I'm now an "old man" in Tales years compared to my last run.
It's based off of the Ps3 version and I remember him still being quite a bitch(ha) last summer even having beaten the game on 360 several times.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably more active than the Vesperia thread but yeah I just finished ToV for the first time! I never had a 360 so I picked it up on Switch a few months ago and finally got around to beating it. Final time was around 59 hours...but I definitely did less than half the sidequests.
I thought the characters were pretty good (moreso Yuri than anyone else, but I liked Judith too.) The battle system definitely starts off slow but it was fun linking all the artes by the latter parts of the game. Music was standard fare for the Tales series but "Fury Sparks" is up there with "Fatalize" for me now.

Story was decent? A lot of people say it jumps the shark in the third act but I had a feeling it was going to turn into some scenario like that. The game feels like you're always chasing someone around in the first two acts haha. I also feel there are so many situations where you stay at an inn and have an evening talk...or a scene where you have to individually talk to every party member, not really negative but interesting to notice. I think I liked the cast dynamic more in Berseria compared to this though.

Not sure where it ranks in the Tales series for me, of course near the top though. I have played Symphonia and Abyss (is this still only on the PS2 or the 3DS?) in so long, they were always near the top for me but I think I just need to replay them to see where they fit in my rankings today. All the Team Symphonia games + Berseria are my favorties though.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
This is probably more active than the Vesperia thread but yeah I just finished ToV for the first time! I never had a 360 so I picked it up on Switch a few months ago and finally got around to beating it. Final time was around 59 hours...but I definitely did less than half the sidequests.
I thought the characters were pretty good (moreso Yuri than anyone else, but I liked Judith too.) The battle system definitely starts off slow but it was fun linking all the artes by the latter parts of the game. Music was standard fare for the Tales series but "Fury Sparks" is up there with "Fatalize" for me now.

Story was decent? A lot of people say it jumps the shark in the third act but I had a feeling it was going to turn into some scenario like that. The game feels like you're always chasing someone around in the first two acts haha. I also feel there are so many situations where you stay at an inn and have an evening talk...or a scene where you have to individually talk to every party member, not really negative but interesting to notice. I think I liked the cast dynamic more in Berseria compared to this though.

Not sure where it ranks in the Tales series for me, of course near the top though. I have played Symphonia and Abyss (is this still only on the PS2 or the 3DS?) in so long, they were always near the top for me but I think I just need to replay them to see where they fit in my rankings today. All the Team Symphonia games + Berseria are my favorties though.
Symphonia has been released on PS3/PC. Abyss has only been ported to the 3ds, but maybe we will see an HD remaster in the future.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Really hoping they follow up the next installment with an Abyss remaster. Been wanting to go back to it, but im holding out hope.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The pacing of Vesperia in part 2 is a lot messier than I remember, granted adding Patty hasn't helped but here it feels like redundant group conversations reiterating things everyone already knows and walking back and forth between trigger points is amplified compared to the first third.
Damn it, how many times must I endure
"is this what you REALLY want to do Estelle?"
"Well I...ummmmmmmmm, yes?"

I was about to nab a chest in the desert only to be forced into a Patty scene, and then returned elsewhere when it was done, lines were crossed here!

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
If there's any game that I feel we need a remaster of (aside from unlocalized games obviously) it should be Eternia, so we could hopefully get the skits restored along with the 90% of the characterization we lost without them.

Seriously, I think I liked Reid more because of this one skit (at 0:27 if the link doesn't work right) than I did from playing through the entire game originally.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
For those who care about tracking changes in the Tales staff: It appears Tales/Wolfteam veteran Yu Otsuka (大塚 裕) left Bandai Namco Studios in summer last year to join Cygames. The earliest credit I have for Yu Otsuka is as programming support for Zan 3 Spirits on SFC back in 1994, so he had an unbroken involvement chain for 24 years. He did a lot of main/system programming, starting with Vesperia he headed the R&D/middleware group for all Tales games. I'm taking that as a strong indication that the Tales series specific frameworks and tools have been successfully replaced with Unreal Engine compatible ones last year.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
For those who care about tracking changes in the Tales staff: It appears Tales/Wolfteam veteran Yu Otsuka (大塚 裕) left Bandai Namco Studios in summer last year to join Cygames. The earliest credit I have for Yu Otsuka is as programming support for Zan 3 Spirits on SFC back in 1994, so he had an unbroken involvement chain for 24 years. He did a lot of main/system programming, starting with Vesperia he headed the R&D/middleware group for all Tales games. I'm taking that as a strong indication that the Tales series specific frameworks and tools have been successfully replaced with Unreal Engine compatible ones last year.
Damn. I was hoping they would go back to cel shading. Oh well I like UE4 plenty.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the info. I always look forward to your updates on former and current Tales staff and Sakuraba.
What Tales veterans are still with Bandai Namco Studios?

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
I know I'm late to the party, but out of all of the Tales games I've played, (Phantasia Symphonia Abyss Vesperia Graces F Xillia 1/2 Zestria & Beseria) I think I enjoyed my time with Xillia the most. From Jude's wacky teenage crush, to the legit jawdrop moment when I thought Leia had actually been killed, the final fight with Gaius, and then immediately flipping to Xillia 2, with all of those crazy moments in that game.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for tropes, after replaying Vesperia remastered Patty really brought down my enjoyment, but I loved how dark the plot got, yet I feel like the Xillia cast had just a better connection with eachother. Or I have my nostalgia glasses on just a little too tight because I also agree Xillia 2 felt more like a part 2 of the games, and retroactively made Xillia 1 better.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. I was hoping they would go back to cel shading. Oh well I like UE4 plenty.
UE4 can do Cel shade, just look at Dragon Ball FighterZ or Guilty Gear Xrd. I think it's more a question of if they want to use that style again rather than if they can.

If Daigo Okumura is the Art Director again I won't get my hopes up, I mean he didn't want to use Cel Shade for Vesperia until the Director/Producer pushed for it (and thank god he did).

But who knows, I really want another Tales that uses cel shade because those just end up looking better IMO.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Nice catch! CyGames still pulling in veteran developers from throughout the industry I see, presumably for work involving their console projects.

End of an era though. So far most Japanese developers have remarked or presented good evidence that UE4 is working out really well for them compared to building and working with their in-house tools, so that's at least a good sign for Tales.

I'm expecting something along the lines of games like Code Vein, Dragon Quest XI, or Xenoblade 2. Way more stylized and cartoony than say, the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but it won't try to accurately replicate 2D animation like Vesperia or Ni No Kuni either. It would mainly be in things like the lighting, objects (clothing, weapons), and environments where you would likely see stronger touches of realism and fine detail in how they're rendered than what Vesperia or likely even the past couple of Tales games had.

UE4 would give them access to useful things that their engine/tools either didn't have or didn't have particularly great implementations of, so just putting some of those things in and refining the look could make the game look drastically different/better than stuff like Xillia or Zestiria without really even "changing" the art style.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. I always look forward to your updates on former and current Tales staff and Sakuraba.
What Tales veterans are still with Bandai Namco Studios?
Depends on the definition of veterans. ;)
Tatsuro Udo, having joined "only" with the PS1 port of Phantasia in 1998 is one of the most senior veteran still heavily involved in the series (he is "game conductor" on Tales of the Rays) now. Susumu Omameuda was lead for motion animations on Berseria and joined with Destiny in 1997. Kazuhiro Koizumi, who is now art manager at Bandai Namco Studios Singapore (not only for Tales but also Tekken 7 etc.), dates back to the Telenet Japan (not Wolfteam) time, earliest credit I have of him is from 1991 (Valis 4). Looking through the Berseria staff listing everybody else I'd call veteran (like Takashi Hasegawa) joined later for Cybernetic Empire (1999)/Narikiri Dungeon (2000)/Tales of Eternia (2000) which were also the start of the development team structure that persisted through the Tales Studio (2003-2011) years until Xillia 2. Former Tales Studio staff was still well represented among the ever smaller internal staff in Berseria, and I didn't see any other eye catching departures since.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
So we're really only a couple days from the various upcoming conferences and presentations where a Tales game could show up, and there still don't appear to be any trademarks/trademark applications yet. They've also confirmed that they're using the first day of the Tales Festival to share information on Crestoria, while the second day will share information on the Vesperia stage play. From what I can recall their usual process is to have console game information and announcements on the first day and save all the secondary stuff (mobile games, anime, fan events, etc.) for the second day, so altogether there's some growing concern that the console game isn't being revealed at all anywhere next week or at best it'll be another minor update.

If they are showing something very, very soon without any new trademarks I think there's about four real possibilities left, based on what's happened in the past or that I can think of:

- They're making a sequel (Legendia 2, Vesperia 2, whatever).
- Something (Eternia? Abyss?) is getting a remake.
- They're not showing anything or if they are, it doesn't include a title, similar to Xillia's teaser. If this happens I'm assuming the game is being roughly aligned with the 25th anniversary and not coming out until well into 2020, but if this is the case and the game did start development when Berseria was finished in 2016, Namco is being surprisingly patient and generous with the game as 4-4.5 years would be the most time they've given one of these games by a good margin.
- They've finally gotten tired of upcoming Tales announcements being "spoiled" through trademarks and are now trying to time it to be as close as possible to the announcement.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was really expecting a new trademark for a Tales game to have appeared by now IF they are going to show something soon.

Of the four possibilities you mention I would be OK with the first two the most (I need an Abyss remake!), but I think that maybe the fourth one is the most likely explanation, the trademark for Berseria appeared one month before the game was revealed in 2015, but more recently Tales of Crestoria was registered just 11 days before BN announced it, so there's some time left.

Another possibility that came to mind is that there are other trademarks for Tales games that haven't been used, like Tales of Orfellia or Tales of Alestia, maybe they will use one that's already registered?