• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which pre-merger Tales Studio team did you prefer?

• Team Destiny

Votes: 92 33.5%
  • Team Symphonia

Votes: 183 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I wonder if late Switch ports of God Eater 3 and (let's not delude ourselves it's very likely) Code Vein might have affected the planning at Bandai Namco to some degree, they all share the same producer, they probably need some space between each other, and with how much Bamco relies on outsourcing (unlike before, especially for Tales) they might even compete against each other for ressources to some degree.

Remake doesn't makes sense imo, they've tried it a couple times in Japan and it didn't have satisfying results and, especially now, they need to revive the series a little bit so it doesn't strike as a good time at all to go for a remake (of which game anyway?), and if western audience was to counterbalance the loss in Japan it would need to drive a strong nostalgia factor and besides Symphonia and Vesperia, which both had remasters, I don't think there's any title to do that.

Sequel sort of falls into the same trap, sequels sold notably less every time (minus Destiny 2) and what's the point of a sequel years if not a decade later ? Only suitable candidate in that case would be Vesperia maybe, others are either too old or not popular enough at this point

Them fixing the spoiling of next Tales title looking at trademark could be a smart idea on their end, I mean besides Tales which others IP had this happen to them on such a regular basis lol?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Decided to replay Berseria the other day. Nearly bought out the Grade shop since I wanna try and get the trophies for Gald and Level 200.

Also I tried Intense and apparently it's not nearly as worth it compared to Hard re: rewards (at least until you get the ventites that require Intense). Kinda sucks, but whatever.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Decided to replay Berseria the other day. Nearly bought out the Grade shop since I wanna try and get the trophies for Gald and Level 200.

Also I tried Intense and apparently it's not nearly as worth it compared to Hard re: rewards (at least until you get the ventites that require Intense). Kinda sucks, but whatever.

I never bother with trophies in Tales games since they are pure grind-fest. With Berseria, I focused on the story and characters playing on Hard and really enjoyed it.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Maybe it's UE4, or the art style, but doesn't look JRPG/Tales enough for me. The only thing that looks tales is the fact that female character looks like Lailah, and the logo. Will keep expectation intact as we still have time till 2020.

Seems like the character/pact thing (assuming different weapon per companion character), as the main character drew his sword out of the female lead.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Arise trailer got me interested in Tales again. I think the last one I played (and didnt finish) was Abyss. What's the best one to go with on the PC at the moment?

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
The Arise trailer got me interested in Tales again. I think the last one I played (and didnt finish) was Abyss. What's the best one to go with on the PC at the moment?
berseria
vesperia if you are feeling nostalgic
dont touch zesteria unless you really crave Tales of game and have nothing else to play, its so bad

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person constantly interested in new Tales titles these days haha. They're literally the best co-op experiences on the market for me and my partner.

(I hope to god this one has couch co-op lol)

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
berseria
vesperia if you are feeling nostalgic
dont touch zesteria unless you really crave Tales of game and have nothing else to play, its so bad
Thanks, I came here for the same exact question. I have Berseria on PS4 but not really started it. I got a beefy computer so I guess I could play at 4k@60. I was wondering if I redo Vesperia or really play Berseria. I've just beat XC2 so I guess I'm still able to do long JRPG.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks, I came here for the same exact question. I have Berseria on PS4 but not really started it. I got a beefy computer so I guess I could play at 4k@60. I was wondering if I redo Vesperia or really play Berseria. I've just beat XC2 so I guess I'm still able to do long JRPG.

I might be biased but I think Vesperia is easier to pick up.

Berseria while not as bad as Zestiria, can be pretty complicated in it's RPG mechanics- Stuff like enemy weakness and how to gain skills etc.

Can't go wrong with either, I think Tales' stories are better when they're not pure good guys.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
After 360+ hours, I finally got that Platinum for Graces F.

Really awesome battle system that I don't mind grinding for hours.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Vesperia for the first time, only up to the first dock at the moment. The cast so far seem interesting enough, but going back to the older Tales battle system is a bit rough. Not really much else to say since the main story is starting off a bit slow. Six hours in and I'm still chasing that thief haha.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So did you guys know that in Vesperia, if you are set to fully manual mode, you can cancel the end of a lot of animations by free running in the direction you character is facing? I just learned about it the other day. I was trying to figure out how in the world your supposed to beat the first Zagi fight on hard and I learned about it watching someone's video.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
Playing Vesperia, the third and fourth secret missions have been a pain to get, specially the fourth one, was trying just using overlimit but in the end saw a video of somene using a combination of artes and finally got it. Supossedly this two are particulary infamous for being annoying hope the next ones are better.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Vesperia, the third and fourth secret missions have been a pain to get, specially the fourth one, was trying just using overlimit but in the end saw a video of somene using a combination of artes and finally got it. Supossedly this two are particulary infamous for being annoying hope the next ones are better.
Is one of those the one where you have to knock Zagi off the boat?
That one is always super tedious for me.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So it seems like there is a bit more information on Arise from Famitsu today. I found the information on this Japanese Tales of fan-site. Some of the main points are:
  • Alphen's age is the highest for a Tales protagonist
  • Alphen wears such heavy armor because he can't feel pain and doesn't want to die
  • The fire sword is one of the key elements in the story
  • I think its saying that when the fire sword is used it continuously burns the user's (Alphen's) hand. How this effects the game's design will be revealed later.
  • Rena seems to be chasing Shionne because of her curse and they accidentally meet Alphen (a little unsure on this point to if someone wants to correct me).
  • You can tell Shionne is from Rena because she uses a gun like weapon.
  • They is a considerable amount of recording that was scheduled, more so then ever.
  • The voice cast is decided by auditions.
Feel free to make corrections.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
So it seems like there is a bit more information on Arise from Famitsu today. I found the information on this Japanese Tales of fan-site. Some of the main points are:
  • Alphen wears such heavy armor because he can't feel pain and doesn't want to die
  • I think its saying that when the fire sword is used it continuously burns the user's (Alphen's) hand. How this effects the game's design will be revealed later.
  • Rena seems to be chasing Shionne because of her curse and they accidentally meet Alphen (a little unsure on this point to if someone wants to correct me).
  • They is a considerable amount of recording that was scheduled, more so then ever.

Regarding voice recording I think they put the emphasis especially on how it will be the highest amount of voice recorded for "anime", as in it will also be the entry with the most anime cutscenes as well?

Not 100% confident, but I don't know whey they would mention anime if it was only about voice recording.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Hell yeah, this sounds great. Yuri was 21/22, maybe Alphen is 25-ish? Either way, excited to play as not-another-fucking-teenager again.

The second point sounds cool, too. In true Tales fashion, I'm expecting a tragic revelation as to why Alphen can't feel pain. Also expecting at least 10+ gag skits related to his condition.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the magazine, and just to add a few things.
  • The reason Alphen is wearing the heavy armor is likely due to his party members, as they're trying to look out for him because he can't feel any pain (mentioned as insurance). The producer describes him as a guy who'd end up dead without ever really realizing it (as far as injuries are concerned).
  • Alphen being the only one who can use the fire sword will be a driving factor in the story and will also serve as an accent of the sort to making the combat feel pleasant. It has a side effect of burning the wielder's hand, and since Alphen isn't immortal, it will have an impact on how the game is designed. There's a small mention of the other sword on his back, but no details are given.
  • Alphen and Shionne are in completely opposite situations where the former doesn't feel any pain while the latter inflicts pain to those who are in contact with her. The theme of the story will center around their opposing positions as individuals from Dana and Rena respectively, and how the power they wield is only possible because of the two of them and not anyone else.

I feel like there's a lot of elements that could easily make for a good romance story, so I'll totally be down if they decide to pursue that. Just spare me the bitter sweet endings.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Soo I have been playing Vesperia on the Switch with my GF and we would often use the tabletop mode for multiplayer / when the TV was being used. Whenever we tried to attack the joy-con on portable mode it wouldn't let us, though. Do you know what could be the problem?

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Games looks amazing...But something looked and felt REALLY off. Like it didn't look and feel like Tales game AT ALL. Kind of reminded me of Xenoblade, but not exactly in completely favorable ways if that makes any sense.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying berseria right now, and I think it might be because of the main cast. Last tales game I played was xilia, which I thought was okay.

Arise looks like a huge improvement in the graphics department, and I'm digging the character designs

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Hello!

I (finally!) picked up a copy of Berseria today. Feels weird to have waited so long, given how much I used to adore this series (I went from grabbing every collectors edition to, well, not even buying standard), but Zesty just... kind of made me stop caring?

But that Arise trailer. It's got me excited about Tales of again. And I never actually thought Zesty was all that bad, just a bit... bland? I actually abandoned it near the end and kind of always had it in the back of my mind that I didn't finish it. So, as part of my rising excitement levels, I just picked up my save (last touched 3.5 years ago!) and finally finished off Zestiria. Well, kinda; I put it on auto and let it finish itself :D I couldn't really remember anything about the battle system.

I also remember not really engaging with the skill system, because it just seemed like a massive chore. So my question, as I sit here with my copy of Berseria in hand, is: is there anything I need to know going into Berseria? I'm under the impression that they simplified a lot of systems for this one, and made things a bit more straightforward. Is this the case? Can I just jump in without worrying about having to engage with systems that, to me at least, feel a bit overdesigned and unwieldy?

I have to say, having finally finished Zestiria, it's made me a bit more excited for Berseria. Especially as the final dungeon in the former was called Artorius' Throne. Given I already know the first hour or so of Berseria, that piqued my interest.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
PSA: カルマ by BUMP OF CHICKEN, Tales of the Abyss' OP, is now on Spotify!

I wanna cry cause I love this song and Tales of the Abyss so much and I've been hoping BUMP OF CHICKEN would be on Spotify one day so I can listen to this on their apps.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019

I'm glad we have an official upload of this now. Someone previews uploaded an offscreen version, but now we don't have the background noise.
I fucking died at:
"Alvin may betray you, but muscles never will."
I may feel a bit burned by Tales of the Rays, but I'm actually really excited for Crestoria.

Anyways, AbyssalChronicles put up a translation of a Dengeki interview for TOArise that appeared around the TalesFest. Nothing new really, but its a nice little interview.
http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/news/dengeki-online-interviews-producer-tomizawa-at-talesfest

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
For those looking for a bit of info on Arise they've made another blog post about the game. The last one was nearly two months ago.

AbyssalChronicles will probably have a full translation pretty soon but it's mostly about the title logo of the game. The producer basically goes over the transition to a trendier modern look instead of the bolder/more 3D logos of previous games, the design company they worked with to make it, and some disagreements with the advertising team on the more subtle design as it's not as easy to get it to stand out compared to the bold, colorful logos of past games, while the designers (or at least the producer, lol) feel it allows the logo to be used in different kinds of scenes and shots for promo material without the logo clashing or sticking out too much.

He also says they'll be able to present the game to the public again soon, and they're getting ready for that. Given the timing of this blog post and Bandai Namco having a confirmed presence at the Gamescom opening show on the 19th it might be for that, or maybe TGS next month, or possibly both. :P

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Finally beat Vesperia. Don't think it's the best game in the series, that still belongs to Abyss but it's a solid game. Yuri is great and the rest of the part is likeable. Act 2 was the best part of the game, and Act 3 was the worst with due to containing the worst dungeons, weak villian, and bunch of backtracking.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I guest the VA for the new characters are Matsuoka Yoshitsugu for the villain(?) and Kugimiya Rie for the little girl(boy?) then? Sure sound like them.
On second thought, it might not be Kugimiya but I'm pretty sure about Matsuoka

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm kind of a new Tales fan. I picked up Berseria last year on sale and liked it quite a lot. I have Vesperia in my backlog and I plan to get to it soon. What else should I be looking into? I was thinking about picking up Abyss on the 3DS, is Symphonia worth playing (PS3 version)? Or any other titles?