• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which pre-merger Tales Studio team did you prefer?

• Team Destiny

Votes: 92 33.5%
  • Team Symphonia

Votes: 183 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
m7RYtm2.jpg

Introducing Tales of Reseteria, the hub to discuss Namco's long-running action rpg series, Tales of.

Story So Far...
Refugees from an unknown land come to the world of ResetEra after a great cataclysm none can remember due to a convenient case of mass-amnesia. Here, these resettlers must join together and rely on their Discussion Artes to survive their journey.

Latest Entries to the Franchise

2oFW09m.jpg

Tales of Arise (Sept 9th, 2021) - Five years from the release of Tales of Berseria, a brand new mothership Tales has finally released! Join Alphen, Shionne, and their comrades as they fight to liberate the people Dahna from the oppressive grip of Renan imperialists.

Japan-exclusive Tales games
Unfortunately up until recently, Tales of used to be incredibly inconsistent in terms of games being translated and released outside of Japan. This section will be updated with a list of games that didn't cross over with links to guides are translation patches for importers that wish to play them.

• Tales of Destiny DC
  • Tales of the Tempest
  • Tales of Innocence R
  • Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 & 3
  • Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
  • Tales of the Rays (originally had a global release, but was shut-down a few months later. Only active in Japan.)

Upcoming Games
[reserved]

FAQ
  • What Tales should I start with?
Typically, the answer you'll get to this Symphonia, Abyss, or Vesperia. But feel free to ask directly in the thread so we can meet your needs personally!
  • How many hours does it take to finish one of these?
Most Tales games tend to run a bit longer than average RPGs, the main story scenarios are usually split into three major acts and quite often, there's an expansive postgame with expert level dungeons and secret bosses. Tales games also offer a hefty amount of replay value with the "Grade" system. Grade is awarded to you from performing well during battles (or accomplishing achievements and milestones in certain Tales) and are used as currency for the Grade Shop, which typically unlocks after you complete your first playthrough and allow you to start New Game + with special bonuses you purchase through the shop. This feature is really helpful for those that want to replay on harder difficulties are want to do solo challenge runs with their favorite characters!

In short, the average Tales game takes 40-60 hours to complete the main story, and many more to do extra content and replays.
  • I bought Tales of Zestiria on Steam, why is the framerate locked to 30 fps? What can I do to fix it?
Zestiria's PS3 and PS4 release were locked to 30 fps due to the seamless exploration it introduced to the engine. The PC port unfortunately did not change this. But fortunately, a Steam user known as Kaldaien produced a special program that allows you to unlock Zestiria's framerate and add a bunch of other cool tweaks to the game.
Check it out here.
  • I'm having difficulty using [x] character in [y] game. Help?
Playstyles vary a lot between party members in these games. If you're bored with playing as the MC and want to try something fresh than look up character tutorials on Youtube or ask the Reseteria community here!
  • What was the game with Reid and Farah called again?
ETERNIA, AND NOTHING ELSE
  • Is Baba gone?
Yes, last I heard he got scooped up by Square-Enix and is working on a Tales clone. Best of luck to him.
  • Are you all sure you don't remember why you're here?
100%. JRPG Amnesia is a bitch, ain't it?

**Expect more updates to this post as time goes on*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brawly Likes to Brawl
Oct 25, 2017
Ryohei Suzuki's bedroom
Community Link Artes:

Expert Play/ Combo Exhibitions
Among the Tales fanbase is a dedicated group of high level players that push the battle system of each game to its limits! This section will be updated with links to videos and channels featuring solo runs and combo exhibitions.

Discord Server
Click the invite link here to join us in active discussion on Discord.

Last edited:

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame no new game was announced at Tales of Festival this year.

Also, I'll be the first to say: Give us a Vesperia remake/remaster on current gen already, Bamco.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I still need to play Berseria. Also glad to see progress being made on Destiny R Directors Cut by absolute zero.

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed really hard at this thread name. While I impatiently wait for the Destiny 20th anniversary HD collection I'll never get.

And since I'm here, how do you guys feel about a potential future translation/patch of Destiny 2?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed really hard at this thread name. While I impatiently wait for the Destiny 20th anniversary HD collection I'll never get.

And since I'm here, how do you guys feel about a potential future translation/patch of Destiny 2?
I'm dying for any patch for Tales games we never got. As long as it's not another port of Phantasia. :P

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Nice title.

I'm still very slowly working my way through Tales of Hearts R. After that I'll have to go back and finish up Destiny R, and then I'll have beaten all the Tales games I own. Maybe I'll import a copy of Rebirth next...

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying for any patch for Tales games we never got. As long as it's not another port of Phantasia. :P

Any interest is good interest! It's an idea a friend and I have been tossing around for a bit and trying to gauge interest for, even though as it stands, we'll only be able to translate without patching until we can get some help on the programming side. It's one of the few left in the lurch and one of our favorites—one that deserves a bit of love and care.

I know enough JP to play through any Tales, but I wish Rebirth's patch would finish soon so more people could dive into its splendid combat.

I can't argue with this at all. There are quite a few people I know would love to be able to play it. I'm due for a replay of it myself, actually.

Young Magus

Oct 25, 2017
Rebirth's combat is soooo good.
Shame Destiny R's patch still isn't out that game deserves a wider crowd

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
As a Wolfteam fan the prominent mention of Namco in the title kinda feels wrong. ;)

Anyway the next Tales thing is this year's Tales of Orchestra concert on November 7. Cover only the Tales of Zestiria the X anime but features live piano by both Sakuraba and Shiina.
https://to-orchestra.tales-ch.jp/

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread title!

Still haven't finished Berseria, but I'm excited for the next one!

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. Was sad when i could not find the discord for Tales of and Resetra was not a thing yet lol. Adding to watch thread now.

Oct 25, 2017
It was great being able to play a Tales games every year while we got caught up. I can't wait for the next game to announced since I need my fix.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we actually get a ToR? I was thinking about this for a second and couldn't remember anything.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Having suffered through the awful Zestiria to better enjoy Berseria, I'm hopeful that the Tales team will keep things on the path of the latter entry.

But it does annoy me that it seems Zestiria has gotten the most "popularity" for some reason, such as getting its own Anime and so forth. Can anyone help me understand Z's popularity? I played through it and the story was just pedestrian, the characters infuriating, and the plot-lines went all over the place (or ended up nowhere), I just couldn't really find anything to really point to as a positive regarding the experience.

Not to say Berseria was flawless or anything, but compared to Zestiria it's a no brainer, for me at least.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
There were character pairings in the game? I must have missed that. Sorey acted like the typical "dumb aloof Shounen protagonist" who isn't interested in that sort of thing. Ugh, what an awful character with his whole "Shepherd" thing (I always got amusement in Berseria at how Velvet mocks the title of "Shepherd" and how Artorius didn't deserve it. Which is kinda how I felt about Sorey)

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There were character pairings in the game? I must have missed that. Sorey acted like the typical "dumb aloof Shounen protagonist" who isn't interested in that sort of thing.
Sorey and Mikleo are boyfriends and the figures I have of them are posed next to each other due to this fact.

I'm only half serious. It's not CANON canon

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Sorey and Mikleo are boyfriends and the figures I have of them are posed next to each other due to this fact.
Huh? Go figure, it went over my head. I thought them close like brothers or siblings, especially with the whole "Born together at the same time and raised since babies under the same roof"

I guess that pairing got really popular in Japan then?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Go figure, it went over my head. I thought them close like brothers or siblings, especially with the whole "Born together at the same time and raised since babies under the same roof"

I guess that pairing got really popular in Japan then?
It's a fan theory but I felt like it was teased heavily in the games without confirming anything. Fujoshi love m/m pairing and Tales has a lot of female fans so the two get some attention, yeah.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any interest is good interest! It's an idea a friend and I have been tossing around for a bit and trying to gauge interest for, even though as it stands, we'll only be able to translate without patching until we can get some help on the programming side. It's one of the few left in the lurch and one of our favorites—one that deserves a bit of love and care.

If you and your friend can actually manage to translate the whole game I guarantee you somebody who's working on the current Destiny PS2 patch will help you out.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of close siblings, now that I think about it, I thought the same kind of weird vibes coming off of the whole Oscar and Theresa thing in Berseria, it felt similar to what I noticed about Sorey and Mikleo, and I couldn't help wonder if S and M would be those two reincarnated :P

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else playing Rays who wants to add me my code is 450481315.
I play daily and share characters that match the anima type of events.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful.

For a moment I thought a new Tales game had been announced. lol

Edit: Definitely team Symphonia for me. Symphonia was my first and what made me fall in love with the series, and Abyss and Vesperia are high on my list too.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I actually feel very lucky with this series. I was able to play the original Tales of Phantasia back around the turn of the century, so it was thanks to that that made me aware of it, and then of course I got totally on board thanks to Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube and followed that up with Abyss and Vesperia (I also played Dawn of the New World, and wish I hadn't, lol). Unfortunately since Vesperia I'd stayed away from the series because the critical reception had been mediocre since (and DotNW left a Sour Taste).

When Berseria came along and people started to compare it favorably with the Tales of the 00's, that's when I became interested, and decided to play Zestiria before. Even though that too left a sour taste, thankfully Berseria was refreshing enough to wash all that away and I did manage to gain a better appreciation of the links the Prequel tried to setup for the other game.

Again, hoping the next entry will offer something more in tune with where Berseria was going. And it'd be nice if Namco could up the Budget just a bit?

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
If you and your friend can actually manage to translate the whole game I guarantee you somebody who's working on the current Destiny PS2 patch will help you out.

That would honestly be incredible. It's definitely a slow process, since we just got our hands on the script, so it's very early stages. My friend's done a fair amount of translating for other fandoms (the Nier Automata concert scripts being the most prominent, as well as stuff out the Zestiria World Guidance book), and pretty dedicated to the cause. We probably wouldn't be talking about it so early had we not been both gauging interest and seeing if we could get the script without transcribing it ourselves, since programming isn't our forte at all.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
People should play Berseria before Zest, it makes the latter much better.

Might have to give this a try. I played Zestiria first and absolutely despised it outside of some of the characters, so I dropped it after 25-30 hours. But I loved Berseria enough to get the platinum trophy for it. Maybe I should give Zesty Tales another try.

...or just watch the anime.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Zesteria is also much better if you can play it on PC and get that 60FPS mod. When the original was 30 with slowdown it helps the battle system a lot imo.

Also Destiny remake, Graces, Rebirth, Vesperia PS3 and Narikiri Dungeon X are my favorites in the series. Hopefully Destiny remake can make it out here officially in some form.
Maybe a Switch and PS4 port? I think I saw Tales of for the initial Switch unannounced titles.

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
To give my obvious answer to the poll, I'm Team Destiny all the way. I never cared much for the Team Symphonia stuff and I'd much rather see any of those unlocalized games get HD ports (and localization, but I have no faith in Bamco) than see Vesperia remastered when it's already on an HD console and has gotten plenty of traction.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I played Berseria just last year but between Namco moving so slowly with the series this year and all the other RPGs released since then, it feels much longer. I liked Berseria though, so it's more that I'm genuinely interested in where they go next despite their desire to lay low for now.

Also, I'm more of a Team Destiny guy as Rebirth is the most interesting game in the series to me and my favorite. It's pretty weird for a Tales game in its game design, enemies, setting, and writing (the writing definitely gets pretty ridiculous as you go along...) and to me it's the only game from a core Tales team where it doesn't feel like they were in the usual "Tales" state of mind when they made it, for better or worse.

Kanjiology

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
I really enjoyed Berseria and feel it was a return to form for the series.

Genuinely interested in what a PS4 game would look like visually built from the ground up without a PS3 port. I would be fine with a Switch exclusive too.

Favorite in the series for are still Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia. I really enjoyed Team Destiny games too, wish they released stuff like the remakes, Destiny 2 (not Eternia), and Rebirth in the West at the time, they even had opportunities with the PSP ports again.