• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

新規層を増やすなら過去作移植を!とのコメントも頂きますね。 ですが移植『だけ』では新規層は増えません。それで行けば直近のTOVリマスターで新規層どっと増える訳です。 やはりまず新規層に開かれた空気を持った新作。その上での移植展開は勿論やりたい。新作との良いサイクルを作っていきます。

My translation:
I receive comment like "if you aim to expand the player base, remaster old titles!". However, "only" porting can't expand the player base. If this approach had worked, the player base would have been expanded by Tales of Vesperia remaster. Releasing a new title first can attract new players. On this basis, we can start porting which we absolutely want to do. This would create a good cycle with the new title.

Tomizawa also mentioned that Tales of Vesperia remaster took three years to complete. Sold 1 million+. And he said future remaster will include localization.

I wonder if he already has a candidate in mind.

Lock it old.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda confused, so with his viewpoint he says remastering old titles won't expand the player base, but new titles, like Arise will. But he's saying he's still interested in remastering if it comes alongside a new title? Or something like that?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
It really should be Tales of Destiny PS2 next. One of their biggest titles sold, but it's stuck on PS2 and Japan only

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I find it funny that they want to "expand the player base" by doing remasters instead of you know releasing the new game on one of the best selling console that has a big player base for RPGs

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda confused, so with his viewpoint he says remastering old titles won't expand the player base, but new titles, like Arise will. But he's saying he's still interested in remastering if it comes alongside a new title? Or something like that?
New title first, then remaster.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

i think he's just saying that he hopes to intersperse remasters in between new entries in the series. he thinks that a string of remasters won't expand the player base but a new game will so it'll keep remasters selling higher and higher with each one.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
So I guess we'll see a remaster after Arise? Hope it's a title that was never localized like Rebirth or Destiny duology.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
New title first, then remaster.
i think he's just saying that he hopes to intersperse remasters in between new entries in the series. he thinks that a string of remasters won't expand the player base but a new game will so it'll keep remasters selling higher and higher with each one.

That makes sense thanks.

If they bring back an already localized game, I would want Abyss.

If it's a newly localized game, I'd want ToD DC.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing a rumor about Destiny Remaster on twitter a while ago... although I don't know if it was from a reliable source..

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Can they remaster Symphonia again but present it in an acceptable fashion this time around? The PlayStation 3 version I played was unacceptable on multiple levels, and the initial Steam release was...yeah.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
three years? That sounds like quite a while? Wasn't it just the ps3 version of the game or did they add more to it?

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
OP: "future remaster will include localization"
Immediate replies: *ask for already localized games*

We need both Destinies, Rebirth, NDX and Innocence god dammit.

I remember seeing a rumor about Destiny Remaster on twitter a while ago... although I don't know if it was from a reliable source..

I'm guessing the rumor came from the fact that the producer actually said he wanted Destiny to be brought out over seas in the video where they went over top selling titles in the series. In it, it basically showed that out of the 1.7-ish million copies that Destiny has sold, only about 60k of those came from outside of Asia.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gimme all the games that never came to the west! All of them! And I want the DS versions of Hearts and Innocense and not the crappy Vita versions too.

Can they remaster Symphonia again but present it in an acceptable fashion this time around? The PlayStation 3 version I played was unacceptable on multiple levels, and the initial Steam release was...yeah.
Yeah, that was genuinely upsetting, especially for one of their biggest selling titles. But then, Bamco has also treated Phantasia pretty poorly too in recent years, the game that started the franchise it is today. They need new remasters.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Vesperia was the only Tales game i finished. I wanted to try the remaster but couldnt bring myself to it. I liked the demo of Arise so im gonna get that....and if any other remasters pop up ill prob get them too.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Yeah, that was genuinely upsetting, especially for one of their biggest selling titles. But then, Bamco has also treated Phantasia pretty poorly too in recent years, the game that started the franchise it is today. They need new remasters.

I would commend them for at least fixing up the stray typo here and there from the GC release, but holy cow, they left in the freaking dialogue coding for numerous lines! How does that happen?!

Man, last decade was freakin' brutal for Tales -- hopefully Arise delivers.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did Vesperia take 3 years? It was already all there on the PS3, did the remaster have a ton of extra content I'm not aware of?

Subsequent tweet
OP
OP

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017

In a subsequent tweet, Tomizawa praised the comprehensiveness of SQEX approach on porting / remastering / remaking Final Fantasy which is only possible with precise planning and production management, and he said they should aim for that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Basically have a cycle of new title -> remaster that allows for a healthy stream of old and new players + new players buying remasters if they enjoy the series

basically content engagement

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree that remasters ain't bringing new fans, but they're great for current fans

And he said future remaster will include localization.

ooh, sure hope it's Destiny PS2. Destiny 2 alongside it wouldn't be bad at all.
We could get Rebirth later

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
playing the english patch of destiny DC right now, its such a good game. Making it into my top 3 Tales games

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Please do the older games that haven't been localized yet or are hard to find PS1 era stuff.

Older tales games are so damn hard to get a hold of, the ones that are actually available in english anyway.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should have used some of those three years to check for spelling errors. I've never seen a game contain so many, and most of it was already localised.

Break_Away

Banned
May 8, 2021
California
Switching to unreal will likely draw some new people in. I have friends who skipped out because they were turned off by the "cartoony" look. But I know they'd of loved the gameplay. I hope the series really benefits. I love it.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if he already has a candidate in mind.
The talked recently about wanting to bring Destiny to the west, so it's very likely that the next remastered collection we will get will be it.

Destiny 1(the remake), Destiny 1 Director's Cut (The whole game from Juda's POV), and Destiny 2 never came out in English.

Last edited: